Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ed Reynolds/Deone Bucannon

These are 2 safeties we might have a shot at in the 2nd/3rd round. While we need a FS to be our "centerfielder" while Landry can come down in the box more, it seems like Reynolds fits this bill more. Has anyone watched much of these 2 to know how will fit in in the NFL? I'd be fine with one of these 2 and Attaochu or Smith with our first 2 picks.

I've watched Reynolds. Not sure he has the range to play the back end. But he is instinctive.

Not much to say about Buchanon. I haven't watched him because I assumed he was out of our range.

Someone I like in later rounds is Daniel Sorensen, from BYU.

Reynolds had a great sophomore year....

And a disappointing junior year.

He actually had one more year of athletic eligibility, but since he's graduating, he turned pro.

Ed is not a good tackler, takes very poor angles.  Not very physical.  And I'm not sure as a free safety if those are characteristics that we want.

His strength is playing a deep center field.   But as was shown in the Rose Bowl, he's not great coming up and taking on receivers in the middle of the field.    I suspect his stock has fallen some and he might go in the 4th round.  (Lower?)

By the way,  Reynolds his a free safety.   Buchanon is a strong safety.    I don't know if he can play the free.

I like Buchanon much more....   I just don't know if he's a match for what we're looking for?    If he can only play strong, and that's where Landry plays -- then what?

I get that Ed Reynolds is a "name" on this forum, but he is not going in the 2nd or 3rd round

Is it possible he goes 2/3?    I guess anything is possible.   If some team loves his 2012 tape, then maybe they pull the trigger early.

But if you're going by his 2013 tape,  I'd be very surprised if he's viewed as a top 100 player.    Not to me, he's not.

He was great for Stanford,  but I'm very particular about who the Colts take and when they take him.

2nd round?   No.    3rd round?    No.     5th round?   Now, I'd be much more comfortable.

Bucannon is probably a pure SS. But he often gets called a Kam Chancelor Jr. He can hit and tackle pretty good. He also has the ball skills to cover. Would be worth drafting him and moving Landry to FS because he's be hard to pass up.

That would be as bad as having Bethea and Landry were trying to avoid having 2 SS

Bucannon is probably a pure SS. But he often gets called a Kam Chancelor Jr. He can hit and tackle pretty good. He also has the ball skills to cover. Would be worth drafting him and moving Landry to FS because he's be hard to pass up.

If he does have cover skills, I'd rather have him playing FS as to Landry.

These are 2 safeties we might have a shot at in the 2nd/3rd round. While we need a FS to be our "centerfielder" while Landry can come down in the box more, it seems like Reynolds fits this bill more. Has anyone watched much of these 2 to know how will fit in in the NFL? I'd be fine with one of these 2 and Attaochu or Smith with our first 2 picks.

I agree a combo of DE/OLB Marcus Smith in the 2nd/high 3rd after a trade down and Reynolds/Bucannon in the 3rd would be perfect!!!

I agree a combo of DE/OLB Marcus Smith in the 2nd/high 3rd after a trade down and Reynolds/Bucannon in the 3rd would be perfect!!!

And Bucannon can be a guy they are actually interested in. They went to his pro day. That's not a definitive "yeah we're drafting this guy" but it means they know him and he wouldn't be a surprise pick. But I'll take Marcus Smith or Demarcus Lawrence.

Bucannon can be pretty good with some coaching.  He doesn't shy away from contact, has good instincts, ran a 4.49 at the combine, and he has a nose for the ball as far as making interceptions.  To me he has some issues I noticed on film as far as being out of control at times when tackling.  I think he has a good enough skill set to play FS or SS.  I don't think he's limited to either one. Sometimes he reminds me of Ed Reed a little bit as far as style of play.

I'd be cool if we got him or Dionne Bailey. I'm still checking Ladler out

My initial impressions after looking over some clips of Ladler is he reminds me quite a bit of Bethea.

Almost a Bethea clone in my opinion. Not that it's a bad thing  He does have a nose for the football in regards to interceptions I'll say that.  I don't like the 4.75 40 time however.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737392/kenneth-ladler

COMPARES TO: Antoine Bethea, Colts: While not as big or athletic as some of the other safeties in their respective classes, Ladler and Bethea's diagnosis skills and penchant for the big play help them project as quality NFL starters.

--Rob Rang (1/14/14)

I was thinking Bethea in my head as I was watching even before I read this article.

I also looked over some tape of Marqueston Huff from Wyoming.  Seems to have just as much ball skills as Ladler, and he runs a 4.49.  Has a nasty attitude that I love too!  The only question in my mind is the competition level he played on although they did play some big schools like Texas and Nebraska. I like him as a later round prospect if we don't take a safety early.

I also looked over some tape of Marqueston Huff from Wyoming.  Seems to have just as much ball skills as Ladler, and he runs a 4.49.  Has a nasty attitude that I love too!  The only question in my mind is the competition level he played on although they did play some big schools like Texas and Nebraska. I like him as a later round prospect if we don't take a safety early.

I like Huff a lot too. I don't think the level of competition is too big of a deal. After all, Bethea played at the football powerhouse that is Howard University.

Interesting safety class.  I love Ward, Brooks, and Joyner (in that order), which all have some chance of falling to us in the 2nd (though I REALLY doubt Ward will).  But, I'm pretty down on the middle-round guys, for various reasons.  Ladler and Bailey have been surprisingly slow.  Ed Reynolds had a bad senior year, and his game tape wouldn't indicate a mid-rounder.  Deone Bucannon is one of those Landry-like hitters who can't cover well.  Those guys are less valuable now that most hard hits get penalized.  Craig Loston is kind of slow and is a big hitter too. 

But then, there seem to be an awful lot of late round developmental guys with good physical traits:  Marqueston Huff, Alden Darby, Brock Vereen, Dontae Johnson, Jemea Thomas, etc.  For me, given that I consider Safety to be the biggest roster hole by far, I'd like us to take one of the the first three players I mentioned in the 2nd and add another in the late rounds...

Interesting safety class.  I love Ward, Brooks, and Joyner (in that order), which all have some chance of falling to us in the 2nd (though I REALLY doubt Ward will).  But, I'm pretty down on the middle-round guys, for various reasons.  Ladler and Bailey have been surprisingly slow.  Ed Reynolds had a bad senior year, and his game tape wouldn't indicate a mid-rounder.  Deone Bucannon is one of those Landry-like hitters who can't cover well.  Those guys are less valuable now that most hard hits get penalized.  Craig Loston is kind of slow and is a big hitter too. 

But then, there seem to be an awful lot of late round developmental guys with good physical traits:  Marqueston Huff, Alden Darby, Brock Vereen, Dontae Johnson, Jemea Thomas, etc.  For me, given that I consider Safety to be the biggest roster hole by far, I'd like us to take one of the the first three players I mentioned in the 2nd and add another in the late rounds...

Bailey played LB mostly at USC, so out the gate he's mostly a box safety. He was okay dropping into the medium range coverages that LBs have, but I really wouldn't trust his as a last line of defense.

And Bucannon has good coverage skills for a SS. Watch some of his game tape. He's not amazing in coverage but he cam get better with coaching.

Vereen, I have to learn more about. But I saw him at the combine and he had a great workout. Have to watch the tape now. But yes, alot of late round safety depth.

Bucannon can cover ground pretty fast but he is a very inconsistent tackler(dives at feet way to much and its cost his team touchdowns....Oregon...twice), takes bad angles to the ball sometimes and lacks the ability to consistently turn his hips(tight hips) and recover quickly enough .....He sure isn't afraid to hit ya though. Good but not elite speed, Not a player I'd want to spend a 2nd round pick on