Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Phil Costa visiting Colts today

PeterBowman

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Costa would be a rare value pickup for high-paying Indy, and could be their Week 1 starting center, upgrading on outgoing Samson Satele. He turns 27 before the season and has been effective more often than not when he's played."

Sounds good to me!

ranked 10 with PFF of 2014 FA Centers.... Satele 27 out of 29... much improvement... first pick would be EDS because of the mack cost and situation...  I would love to grab EDS and Clemons then go to Draft ... Costa would be  plan D pick up  but better than what we have currently with Holmes being unknown..  PSS De Le Puente ranked 6th

Not a professional source, but:

Well before I get into what PFF thinks, the first thing that comes to mind about Phil Costa was his 4 botched snaps against DC in '11.

Then a quick Google Phil Costa+Pro Football Focus search brought up this claiming that he was the 6th worst Center in the league and needed to be replaced.

Onto what you're looking for, he was graded a -9.3 overall on 1,024 snaps starting 16 games. -5.8 for pass blocking, -2.6 run blocking, -2.0 for screen blocking, he let up 3 sacks, and 15 hurries.

In 2012, he was a big part of the 227 yds Dallas rushed on our Super Bowl Champion defense. He was graded as a 6.3 for that game but that was the overwhelming majority of his action that year. He only played 125 snaps in 3 games including the game against us, finishing with a 4.6 grade. He played 1 snap last year.

I'll pass, we're good on underachieving centers.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ravens/comments/1z80uj/phil_costa_released_by_cowboys_fit_for_a/

Nice. He is a quality player, and he didn't get cut because he underperformed. The Cowboys had to but someone because they are in salary cap hell. The fact that they drafted Travis Frederick last year made the decision easier.

You'd have to think that Grigson has looked into all options at Center, including Mack,  EDS, and BDL. Perhaps their asking price is too high, and close to what Mack may get, in which case, stick with Mack if you're willing to pay.

But if you're not willing to pay that much for a center, then maybe this is the best available option.

He isn't very good in my opinion, and he didn't even play last year.

He actually is good, and the reason he didn't play last year was Travis Frederick who was drafted in the first round. First rounders have to start. Combine that with the salary cap hell Dallas is in.... they had to release good players (See: Demarcus Ware)

replaced by a rookie and had 1 snap last yaer. Also part of that mediocre OL that cowboys have had for years and have been trying to renew for 2 drafts.

that doesnt sound good. having said havent payed any attention to him

You don't really know what you're talking about. Costa was not the Samson Satele of the Dallas o-line. Not at all.

He actually is good, and the reason he didn't play last year was Travis Frederick who was drafted in the first round. First rounders have to start. Combine that with the salary cap hell Dallas is in.... they had to release good players (See: Demarcus Ware)

I know all that, but he wasn't very good before last year IMO.

If he was good they wouldn't have drafted Fredricks to begin with no?

Nice. He is a quality player, and he didn't get cut because he underperformed. The Cowboys had to but someone because they are in salary cap hell. The fact that they drafted Travis Frederick last year made the decision easier.

disagree. he got cut because the guy they dfarted last year played pretty good

I know all that, but he wasn't very good before last year IMO.

Fair enough. But you wrote "he didn't even play last year" like it was suppose to be indicative of him being bad, when in fact it was because of a quality player and first rounder in Travis Frederick. 

You don't really know what you're talking about. Costa was not the Samson Satele of the Dallas o-line. Not at all.

i just said i didnt really watch him played lol, what u talking about.

all i typed were facts: he got benched by Travis(rookie). he played 1 snap. OL from the cowboys has been a problem for like 5 years and they have been trying to renew it since.

I just don't see how they can keep avoiding getting a quality center.  It doesn't make sense to me. Do they not see it as an important piece? Do the people that make these decisions think we can continue to just have a horrible o-line and the team will just magically get better in spite of it?

If he was good they wouldn't have drafted Fredricks to begin with no?

Many thought Frederick was a reach, but the Cowboys were really high on Frederick. Maybe they thought could move Costa to guard, put Frederick at center and then really upgrade their o-line? Who knows.