Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Starting to get nervous about re-signing Davis

If I'm not mistaken tomorrow - March 8 is the day that teams can start talking to players agents.  And on March 11 they can start signing contracts.

We still don't have a deal worked out with Davis or McAfee.  

I think there is a good chance these guys could walk if we don't sign them soon.  

Grigs isn't going to let Vontae leave. I don't know why its taking so long, but I'm not worried. He will be back. If Grigs was concerned, he would have tagged him. It wouldn't surprise me if something is announced later on today.

I'm fine with $8ish mil per year.  I think $10 mil or higher is too much.  Of course, I'm no cap guru or anything, so what I'm saying could be very ignorant

I think his agent would be justified in making Grimes' contract the floor.

Pat just signed a 5 year extension and im alittle worried about vontae  but if he does go to another team id be okay with sign verner or talib and drafting a guy like Stanley jean baptiste or keith McGill

So it is true.  Good call on that.

5 years/14.5 million with 5 million in guaranteed money.  2.9 million APY.  

That's actually slightly better then I was expecting for Pat.  I thought we where gonna be on the hook for 3 mil APY at least.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331609/article/pat-mcafee-indianapolis-colts-agree-to-5year-deal

We need him back or we better be planning to fork out money for another quality corner or were gonna be hurting in pass D next year badly.I actually think we need

To try and keep Davis and sign a another solid corner or draft one because I'm willing to bet and feel that Toler will probably be injured at least 50-60% of next season. I really dont think he's gonna be able to stay healthy, especially with our luck as far as injuries are concerned.

as per stephhen holder of indy star   the colts and vontae davis are still far apart on negoitations 

Brace yourself boys we might have to go with life without vontae

These guys throw around a lot of nonsense when it comes to free agency. What Holder says means nothing.

I hope we are able to re-sign Vontae, but I would NOT pay $10 million+ per year. The team will be better off letting him go than paying that kind of money.

The Cowboys paid Carr a ton of money, and they are regretting it now.

Vontae is young and has potential, but overpaying would be a mistake. I would be very hesitant to pay more than $8 million per year. Anything above that and I wish him well playing elsewhere.

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva 4h

So #Colts paid top dollar for a punter & undersized 31-year-old ILB but are playing hardball with Vontae Davis?

Couldn't agree more. Made absolutely no sense to sign players before we re signed Davis. Once he test free agency he's gone and will have to rely on Toler to be the #1 CB.

So #Colts paid top dollar for a punter & undersized 31-year-old ILB but are playing hardball with Vontae Davis?

Couldn't agree more. Made absolutely no sense to sign players before we re signed Davis. Once he test free agency he's gone and will have to rely on Toler to be the #1 CB.

You are agreeing with a fool

Edited by 21isSuperman

Last I checked Davis didn't play ILB or was a punter. They were still areas of need that were rightly addressed. And I'm not sure you can call either deal top dollar least of all McAffees.

The point is Grigson paid a combined 8 mil this year for a PUNTER and a ILB that was cut but is gonna let Davis our 3rd best player walk. I know ILB and punter was a need but it won't be as big of a need as CB if Davis doesn't re sign. Without Davis teams are gonna throw all over us. There's no replacement for him in the draft or FA.  

Last I checked Davis didn't play ILB or was a punter. They were still areas of need that were rightly addressed. And I'm not sure you can call either deal top dollar least of all McAffees.

The point is Grigson paid a combined 8 mil this year for a PUNTER and a ILB that was cut but is gonna let Davis our 3rd best player walk. I know ILB and punter was a need but it won't be as big of a need as CB if Davis doesn't re sign. Without Davis teams are gonna throw all over us. There's no replacement for him in the draft or FA. [/quote

Is that not making the assumpion that signing Jackson and McAffee effected the offer to Davis? With our cap space I doubt that's the problem. How do we know how much Davis is asking for? Should we give him 10mil plus or draw a line somewhere?

If I'm not mistaken tomorrow - March 8 is the day that teams can start talking to players agents.  And on March 11 they can start signing contracts.

We still don't have a deal worked out with Davis or McAfee.  

I think there is a good chance these guys could walk if we don't sign them soon.

You better start drinking now..

Would you rather have Vontae Davis at $10 million+ per year or a combination of 2 or 3 other players.

Maybe instead you get Arthur Jones and Sam Shields.

I just don't know what he is asking. He was too inconsistent to justify anything too extreme. He had some great games, and then he some mediocre games where the effort was seriously lacking. The lack of effort against the Rams and Cardinals was the most disconcerting. You are basically paying a guy on potential since he is only 25. It's tough.

Yep, I can see all the pundits piling on if he walks, especially if they "overpay" for another CB. Grigson and Paganao know better than anyone what his value is in this D. Regardless of the earlier signings they have a slot for what they are willing to pay Davis. I wonder how they value Verner, Shields, etc? Coming to the Colts helped his career, if its only about the almighty $ then go for it. The biggest loss would be the 2nd rounder they gave up to get him. If Grigson & Co thought he was the long term solution they should have extended him last year rather than let it get to this point.

I'm sure Vontae wants 10-12. He's not worth that. Just let him go! I'm fine with focusing the money on Ward FS Jones DL and OL! Draft CB in 2nd!

Is a 2nd round CB gonna be able to cover the #1 guy? 

I have no faith that Toler is gonna be able to cover a #1 guy.

It sucks because if we lose Davis our defense could somehow get worse then it already was.