Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Byrd and Orakpo will hit FA-Neither is to be tagged

According to Rotowold Orakapo has been franchised.  And, admittedly, I don't watch a ton of Buffalo football (and I'm guessing not many people on this forum do either) but Byrd is not that great of a safety, he definitely not as good as the price he wants.  I can understand wanting out of Buffalo but he's just a good not great safety who wants to be the highest paid safety in the history of the NFL.

If it were my pennies, I would let some other team make his dreams come true.

According to Rotowold Orakapo has been franchised.  And, admittedly, I don't watch a ton of Buffalo football (and I'm guessing not many people on this forum do either) but Byrd is not that great of a safety, he definitely not as good as the price he wants.  I can understand wanting out of Buffalo but he's just a good not great safety who wants to be the highest paid safety in the history of the NFL.

I cant say he is is the best Safety in the NFL but he has more talent in his little pinky then Bethea does or ever has had in his entire body to play FS

Yeah, anyone thinking he can be had for less than $10m/year needs to wake up. Really good player, but no thank you.

3 things you have to consider here.

1 is that he might be rejecting all offers from the Bills cause he doesn't want to play there anymore.  

2. It said the contract would pay him 30 mil for the first 3 years.  How much did it pay for the rest of the years?  What if they tried to put him on a 6 year deal that is extremely front loaded and dropped him down to a 2 or 3 million dollar cap hit in the last 3 years?  

3. Guaranteed money - The report didn't say how much guaranteed money was offered.  All NFL players want guaranteed money.  What if the contract offered to him was a Revis type of deal where he gets paid big bucks in terms of salary but very little to no guaranteed money??  Of course he would reject it.  

Colts_Fan12 is right, it could be the Pierre Garcon incident over again. granted he took a lot of money, I heard we offered Sidney Rice money for Garcon and he rejected us.

For Byrd, it could be a matter of "what's the point of being the highest paid pro bowl safety on a losing team." He probably would rather be all that on a winning team ( contract estimation 5 years 40/45 million- that should make him around top 2-3.)

Players chase the money. Maybe Byrd is the exception, but they can still tag him for $8.4m in 2014. I think he just wants the big money. That's what he and his agent have been saying. I take their word for it, because it fits the pattern.

In a major change of what had been reported a week ago, it seems Jairius Byrd and Orakpo will hit the market. Most thought Washington especially with the cap space they had would tag Orakpo. Everyone though Byrd would be tagged, and if they could not work out a deal, at least a trade so they get something back. I am really surprised they are going to let Byrd test FA. Orakpo, I think will stay with the skins. He is going to cost around 12M a year, and he has been injured quite a bit. Byrd on the other hand, someone is going to pay him what he wants. I would not mind it being us, considering the large amount of cap space we have, and he is a game changer. The board can now begin the "we want byrd chant".

One thing I will preface FA spending by, I don't think we are going to spend big bucks for large names, but with the Decker rumors I could be wrong. I do believe though that any star FA who wants $$$ is going to go to Cleveland or Oakland. Lots of cap space and in both cases are going to have to pay more than market price for FA's to go there, so it makes it a little tougher on the Colts. We will not pay more than the market, which I am glad!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24464215/bills-byrd-redsklins-orakpo-likely-to-go-untagged-hit-nfls-fa-market

Orakpo just got tagged

That is a ridiculous statement that has no basis in reality.

You admittedly haven't watched him play. He's a three time all-pro for a reason if you actually had. What's ridiculous is to form a strong opinion with absolutely nothing to back it up.

According to Rotowold Orakapo has been franchised. And, admittedly, I don't watch a ton of Buffalo football (and I'm guessing not many people on this forum do either) but Byrd is not that great of a safety, he definitely not as good as the price he wants. I can understand wanting out of Buffalo but he's just a good not great safety who wants to be the highest paid safety in the history of the NFL.

Byrd is probably the 2nd-3rd best safety in the NFL.

You admittedly haven't watched him play. He's a three time all-pro for a reason if you actually had. What's ridiculous is to form a strong opinion with absolutely nothing to back it up.

Actually I said I haven't watched him play much and yes I stated that to indicate that I am basing my opinion on limited information, in writing that is called a qualifier or disclosure.  Unlike some (not you wig, other posters on this forum) I didn't want to make it seem like I am some how an expert on every player in the league and every player in college football and am basing my opinion on their full body of work.

And I have a few things to "back it up" so to speak, one the games I saw him, he didn't do anything to warrent being the highest paid safety in the league.  Two, football analytics.  A lot of people like PFF; I, personally, have found Advanced NFL Stats to be a much more accurate gauge of a player effective.

In a major change of what had been reported a week ago, it seems Jairius Byrd and Orakpo will hit the market. Most thought Washington especially with the cap space they had would tag Orakpo. Everyone though Byrd would be tagged, and if they could not work out a deal, at least a trade so they get something back. I am really surprised they are going to let Byrd test FA. Orakpo, I think will stay with the skins. He is going to cost around 12M a year, and he has been injured quite a bit. Byrd on the other hand, someone is going to pay him what he wants. I would not mind it being us, considering the large amount of cap space we have, and he is a game changer. The board can now begin the "we want byrd chant".

One thing I will preface FA spending by, I don't think we are going to spend big bucks for large names, but with the Decker rumors I could be wrong. I do believe though that any star FA who wants $$$ is going to go to Cleveland or Oakland. Lots of cap space and in both cases are going to have to pay more than market price for FA's to go there, so it makes it a little tougher on the Colts. We will not pay more than the market, which I am glad!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24464215/bills-byrd-redsklins-orakpo-likely-to-go-untagged-hit-nfls-fa-market

You lied to me!

That is a ridiculous statement that has no basis in reality.

Alright Ill give a little more in depth evaluation, Byrds quicker, has better hands, More consistent field tackler and can come up in run support, reads the play much better....More talented then Bethea will ever be...Its not close

Byrd will want close to 9 million a year.....he may be worth it but we have to many holes to fill NO WAY we will spend 15+ mill a year on both of our safeties!  Orakpo will want tall $ also he had only 10 sacks last year and 39 in his whole career less, that's less than 10 a year.....Mathis had half of that last year....We should be looking at lower price olb's or end's......Jared Allen at 31 is younger than Mathis and about 3 inches taller and 40lbs heavier.  Allen has the size to play olb and has already had his big payday with the Vikings....He may take less to get himself a championship???  Just a thought.....I am excited for the off season.  Hopefully we get the pieces needed with out breaking the bank! 

I would be interested in seeing what Orakpo is seeking. I am afraid it is some astronomical figure.

It would be interesting to see if he would be willing to take a more modest deal to play for a contender. It would be intimidating to have Orakpo and Mathis screaming off the edge.

I would be interested in seeing what Orakpo is seeking. I am afraid it is some astronomical figure.

It would be interesting to see if he would be willing to take a more modest deal to play for a contender. It would be intimidating to have Orakpo and Mathis screaming off the edge.

Orakpo got the franchise tag from Washington.

How exactly is it disrespectful? He had a down year. He's still 3rd on my list. Not better than Thomas or Byrd though.

I disagree but ok.

Also, he was a 2nd team AP all-pro this year just like last year and his numbers are almost identical, how was it a down year from him?

Alright Ill give a little more in depth evaluation, Byrds quicker, has better hands, More consistent field tackler and can come up in run support, reads the play much better....More talented then Bethea will ever be...Its not close

Quicker and better hands no doubt.  More consistent tackler (I assume by field tackler you mean open field, since all tackles are on the field) and come up in run support better, no.  I think Byrd is a good safety and a better coverage safety but he is no where near the run stopper that Bethea is.

Quicker and better hands no doubt.  More consistent tackler (I assume by field tackler you mean open field, since all tackles are on the field) and come up in run support better, no.  I think Byrd is a good safety and a better coverage safety but he is no where near the run stopper that Bethea is.

Right I meant open field tackler, I also think he is as good a run stopper(Byrd has made more plays at or behind the LOS in his career then Bethea despite Bethea playing 2 more years) as Bethea is but Byrds strength is coverage so thats how the Bills use him, doesn't mean he can stop the run

Right I meant open field tackler, I also think he is as good a run stopper(Byrd has made more plays at or behind the LOS in his career then Bethea despite Bethea playing 2 more years) as Bethea is but Byrds strength is coverage so thats how the Bills use him, doesn't mean he can stop the run

No he hasn't.  I'm going through now and counting tackles for a gain of three yards or less and unless 90% of Byrd's tackles in 2012 and 2013 are within that range, it's not even going to be close.

No he hasn't.  I'm going through now and counting tackles for a gain of three yards or less and unless 90% of Byrd's tackles in 2012 and 2013 are within that range, it's not even going to be close.

Right, I was wrong on that one, not sure where I got that from actually, I think I looked at the wrong number but Byrd still has 10 in 2 less years to Betheas 14, I think he is arguably as good if the Bills would use him in that way more, I think Bethea is good to.....if the Colts would use him in that way more instead of keeping him back in coverage alot more (if we insist on keeping him that is) 

Right, I was wrong on that one, not sure where I got that from actually, I think I looked at the wrong number but Byrd still has 10 in 2 less years to Betheas 14, I think he is arguably as good if the Bills would use him in that way more, I think Bethea is good to.....if the Colts would use him in that way more instead of keeping him back in coverage alot more (if we insist on keeping him that is) 

it was the stuff numbers from ESPN that caused me to start counting because those numbers are much closer than one would expect when watching them play and factoring in how Buffalo uses Byrd.  But using those numbers to base your opinion on his run stuffing would be the same as me saying that his pass coverage is not that much better than Bethea's because they both had 6 PDs last year.

As I've stated before, I'm not against the Colts signing Byrd but he has stated that he wants to be the highest paid safety in the history of the NFL.  And, IMO, his play does not warrant that attitude or pay day.  He has not re-invented the position, he has not done what no other safety in the league has done before, he is not that much of a game changer