Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Byrd and Orakpo will hit FA-Neither is to be tagged

In a major change of what had been reported a week ago, it seems Jairius Byrd and Orakpo will hit the market. Most thought Washington especially with the cap space they had would tag Orakpo. Everyone though Byrd would be tagged, and if they could not work out a deal, at least a trade so they get something back. I am really surprised they are going to let Byrd test FA. Orakpo, I think will stay with the skins. He is going to cost around 12M a year, and he has been injured quite a bit. Byrd on the other hand, someone is going to pay him what he wants. I would not mind it being us, considering the large amount of cap space we have, and he is a game changer. The board can now begin the "we want byrd chant".

One thing I will preface FA spending by, I don't think we are going to spend big bucks for large names, but with the Decker rumors I could be wrong. I do believe though that any star FA who wants $$$ is going to go to Cleveland or Oakland. Lots of cap space and in both cases are going to have to pay more than market price for FA's to go there, so it makes it a little tougher on the Colts. We will not pay more than the market, which I am glad!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24464215/bills-byrd-redsklins-orakpo-likely-to-go-untagged-hit-nfls-fa-market

The Bills are reluctant to tag Byrd for a second straight year, after clashing with him over his health early last season and unable to secure him long-term. Their latest offer would have made him one of the top paid safeties in the NFL within the first two years of the deal, but he turned it down.

Sounds like Byrd wants out of Buffalo really bad, and since it was the second tag, it would cost them over 10M to franchise him. Can't believe he turned down the offer if it truly made him one of the highest paid safeties.

The Bills are reluctant to tag Byrd for a second straight year, after clashing with him over his health early last season and unable to secure him long-term. Their latest offer would have made him one of the top paid safeties in the NFL within the first two years of the deal, but he turned it down.

Sounds like Byrd wants out of Buffalo really bad, and since it was the second tag, it would cost them over 10M to franchise him. Can't believe he turned down the offer if it truly made him one of the highest paid safeties.

I guess the money thing can work both ways. Some players will play anywhere for a high salary. Some players won't play somewhere no matter the salary.

Maybe he's just desperate to get out of Buffalo. Seems fair considering he's a top 5 safety on a pretty bad, though rapidly improving, team.

There are positions you can justify paying more for.

Safety is not one of those positions.

In fairness your not paying for the position, your playing for a top notch player at that position.......a difference maker, cant think of it in terms of position only, I dont think Baltimore thought that way when they had Ed Reed making int after int year after year, A Safety is after all your last line of defense between the ball carrier and the End Zone, Get a low level Safety and we have seen what that can do to your defense, Pass rush is great but they wont get there alot over the course of 8-900 snaps or more on defense, Have to have good Safety and Corner play

We should sign Byrd, then release Landry after the season, draft his replacement, and we wouldn't have too much tied up at safety.

If we sign Byrd(Wont happen) then we should release Bethea so Bethea can go back to his natural position(FS) to a team like the Bears who run a cover 2....Which is the primary defense Bethea has played in since college up until the last 2 years, Then slide Landry to SS, Put Byrd at FS

If we sign Byrd(Wont happen) then we should release Bethea so Bethea can go back to his natural position(FS) to a team like the Bears who run a cover 2....Which is the primary defense Bethea has played in since college up until the last 2 years, Then slide Landry to SS, Put Byrd at FS

How would we release Bethea? He is a free agent this year, right?

He would replace Walden

Whats wrong with Walden, I understand Orakpo is a huge upgrade but I thought Walden was decent last year. Also would this mean where giving up on Werner after 1 season? I understand you can never have enough pass rushers but Orakpo would most likely demand 8-10M and that would definitely at least influence a negative change in Werners progression

Whats wrong with Walden, I understand Orakpo is a huge upgrade but I thought Walden was decent last year. Also would this mean where giving up on Werner after 1 season? I understand you can never have enough pass rushers but Orakpo would most likely demand 8-10M and that would definitely at least influence a negative change in Werners progression

Nothing is wrong him, he is ok, I was just answering the question.

I wouldn't want to resign Bethea for anything above vet-minimum. Just terrible this year. 

To me its not solely based on this year, Here he is going to be 30 years old by the start of the season, The 3rd year in a defense thats really not got all the pieces but beyond that in 123 career games he has 46 passed defensed and 14 ints......But also keep in mind he was a 6th round pick

Honestly we should sign Byrd if we get the chance. He has youth on his side, not to mention he is one of the elite safeties in the NFL. For a FA, that's the type of player we need to sign if we only get one top FA. If Mack isn't resigned by the Browns, this goes completely out the window. If Mack isn't an option though, then Byrd needs to be our number 1 signing next week. 

It could very well be that he doesn't want to play in Buffalo anymore.  

If we can't get Mack I wouldn't mind paying the price for Byrd.  But quite frankly I think we have bigger needs on defense that need to be addressed.  

We could really use a real star on the defensive line.  We for the most part have lacked any pressure on the QB from the D-line.  Which for the moment means that if Mathis where to be injured the QB's could stand in the pocket and wait for our entire secondary to collapse from exhaustion before they had to throw the ball.   

It could very well be that he doesn't want to play in Buffalo anymore.

If we can't get Mack I wouldn't mind paying the price for Byrd. But quite frankly I think we have bigger needs on defense that need to be addressed.

We could really use a real star on the defensive line. We for the most part have lacked any pressure on the QB from the D-line. Which for the moment means that if Mathis where to be injured the QB's could stand in the pocket and wait for our entire secondary to collapse from exhaustion before they had to throw the ball.

How does everyone think S isn't that big a need tho Landry and Bethea together sucks

How does everyone think S isn't that big a need tho Landry and Bethea together sucks

What I ment was you can get an improvement over Bethea for cheaper then Byrd.  

I maintain the problem we had was we had 2 safeties who specialized in run stuffing but had no one back there who specialized in pass coverage.  All we really need is a guy back there who can pass cover better then Bethea even if he's not quite the run stuffer.  

But what I think we really need is a better D-line.  No one on the D-line ever really made much of a name for themselves this season either in rushing the passer or stuffing the run.  

We need improvements all over the defense but D-line to me is the elephant in the room that no one is addressing.  In terms of pass rush Mathis covered a lot for their collective failure to rush the passer.  

I guess the money thing can work both ways. Some players will play anywhere for a high salary. Some players won't play somewhere no matter the salary.

Maybe he's just desperate to get out of Buffalo. Seems fair considering he's a top 5 safety on a pretty bad, though rapidly improving, team.

I think there was somethign going on behind the scenes, to be honest.  There was a lot of hush hush going on that sounded of drama, but I never saw anything definitive come out of it.  You could be right that he wants out.  But it could very well be that the FS position is a bit overdue as far as an update aso t what the new market value is for that position - they are, on average, less paid than any other position on defense.  Also, safties are 3rd lowest on average as compared to any other position on the team, ahead of only Punters/Kickers and Tight Ends (which the TE landscape had recently started changing with the contracts of guys like Aaron Hernandez, Rob Gronkowski, and what would have been Jimmy Graham's contract).

Understand, I really have no basis for this, but it's something that I've thought for a little while about safties, and when "getting paid" has every much to do with the work checks as those work checks are an acknowledgment by the team as to where they see you compared to other safties, I wouldn't be surprisedi n the least if Byrd thought that the Bills should pay him like he is the best safety.

What I ment was you can get an improvement over Bethea for cheaper then Byrd.

I maintain the problem we had was we had 2 safeties who specialized in run stuffing but had no one back there who specialized in pass coverage. All we really need is a guy back there who can pass cover better then Bethea even if he's not quite the run stuffer.

But what I think we really need is a better D-line. No one on the D-line ever really made much of a name for themselves this season either in rushing the passer or stuffing the run.

We need improvements all over the defense but D-line to me is the elephant in the room that no one is addressing. In terms of pass rush Mathis covered a lot for their collective failure to rush the passer.

Thing with Byrd is he will creat turnovers something we could really use. But I wouldn't mind getting a DE with one of our first 2 picks in the draft to help the d line and get an ILB with the other

Thing with Byrd is he will creat turnovers something we could really use. But I wouldn't mind getting a DE with one of our first 2 picks in the draft to help the d line and get an ILB with the other

Any improvement on the D-line would be welcome if you ask me.  

The difficult thing is that it's more difficult to find a 3-4 DE then it is to find a ILB.  

Any improvement on the D-line would be welcome if you ask me.

The difficult thing is that it's more difficult to find a 3-4 DE then it is to find a ILB.

Yeah I think RJF will be ok but redding is in his final year maybe Hughes will develop more and we can get one in the 2nd

@EaglesFanTalk: Jairus Byrd was reportedly offered a contract to be the highest paid safety with 30 million in the first 3 years. He rejected.

Yeah, anyone thinking he can be had for less than $10m/year needs to wake up. Really good player, but no thank you.

Yeah, anyone thinking he can be had for less than $10m/year needs to wake up. Really good player, but no thank you.

He prolly just wants out if buffalo have to think about that

Colts_Fan12 is right, it could be the Pierre Garcon incident over again. granted he took a lot of money, I heard we offered Sidney Rice money for Garcon and he rejected us. 

For Byrd, it could be a matter of "what's the point of being the highest paid pro bowl safety on a losing team." He probably would rather be all that on a winning team ( contract estimation 5 years 40/45 million- that should make him around top 2-3.)

Colts_Fan12 is right, it could be the Pierre Garcon incident over again. granted he took a lot of money, I heard we offered Sidney Rice money for Garcon and he rejected us.

For Byrd, it could be a matter of "what's the point of being the highest paid pro bowl safety on a losing team." He probably would rather be all that on a winning team ( contract estimation 5 years 40/45 million- that should make him around top 2-3.)

We just won't go after him I wish we would but ik we won't we will stick with Bethea and Landry and that's a horrible idea

I would've turned the Colts down too

Garçon turned down a 5yr $35 million contract from the Colts and signed a 5 yr $42.5 million contract with the Redskins

Garçon turned down a 5yr $35 million contract from the Colts and signed a 5 yr $42.5 million contract with the Redskins

Really? I read somewhere we offered him Sidney Rice money ( 5 years 41 million). Granted the Redskins offered more but not much more. 

You could be right, I'm just saying what I read.