Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What should Houston do with the number one pick?

48 members have voted

1. 1. What should Houston do with the number one pick?

• They should draft Teddy Bridgewater.
    • They should draft Johnny Manziel.
    • They should draft Blake Bortles
    • They should draft Jadevon Clowney.
    • They should trade the number one pick.

I believe in taking the best player available and I would vote for Jadevon Clowney. He is the best player in the entire draft and the one most likely to excel. The Texans have to play against Andrew Luck for the next ten to twelve years and drafting Clowney to team with J.J. Watt would give the Texans a defense that would give Luck fits. I don't think any of the QBs in this draft are "can't miss" prospects. I would take Clowney and then work on the QB situation. That could include adding someone like Kirk Cousins or resurrecting Schaub. That, in my mind, is a better bet than taking a chance on the QBs available in this draft.

Agreed completely. Jadeveon Clowney is going to be a monster even if it's only till he gets paid. That's still 4-5 years of D-line dominance with him and Watt. The QBs in draft all have too many questions. If I was the Texans I would draft Clowney and then maybe draft Tajh Boyd or Zettenberger or even McCarron in later rounds. It seems very obvious to me that Clowney is the true #1 pick. The question is if he will actually be selected there or not.

I certainly hope Texans nor Jags get their hands on Clowney.

They should take Bridgewater, but they will probably take Bortles.

LIKE!!  

I have said all along Bortles would be the best QB in this draft...and I may be terribly wrong.  I personally would take Bridgewater too, but I smell a Clowney coming at us next year.....Watt did you say?

LIKE!!  

I have said all along Bortles would be the best QB in this draft...and I may be terribly wrong.  I personally would take Bridgewater too, but I smell a Clowney coming at us next year.....Watt did you say?

Can you imagine Clowney and Watt playing together. Watt might even have bigger numbers. You can't double team both of them.

I'm not wild about any of the QB's....  if Houston wants one I'd hope they'd try to trade back and get one...

And while I love Clowney,  I've got issues about his heart, character and how much he really loves football.   He basically took off the 2013 season so he wouldn't get hurt.   How fair is that to do to his S. Carolina teammates?

I'd be more interested in one of the great offensive tackles....  and I seriously love Greg Robinson...    :heart:   :flowers:    :luv:

I'm not wild about any of the QB's....  if Houston wants one I'd hope they'd try to trade back and get one...

And while I love Clowney,  I've got issues about his heart, character and how much he really loves football.   He basically took off the 2013 season so he wouldn't get hurt.   How fair is that to do to his S. Carolina teammates?

I'd be more interested in one of the great offensive tackles....  and I seriously love Greg Robinson...    :heart:   :flowers:    :luv:

Forget Robinson, I have hired him as my personal body guard. :)

bodyguard-apple.jpg

Clowney didn't make the rules, the NFL did. He made sure he made it to the draft. His teammates wouldn't have helped him if he had gotten hurt and blown his payday. Blame the system, not Clowney.

I'd say trade it away but I don't think anyone is desperate to move up and they still need one of the top QBs.

Their best chance would be to trade back to 5th or 6th with somebody who wants to ensure that they get Clowney. I think they should trade with Atlanta, then just be happy with whichever QB falls to them, whether it's Bortles, Manziel or Bridgewater.

They should Trade the pick, we all can agree Clowney is a cant miss prospect. But the texans already have the best defensive line in the league IMO they really do not need Clowney. As far as a franchise QB goes neither one of the prospects projected to go in the 1st round warrants the first pick IMO. They should instead take a look at McCarron in the later rounds. He is someone that has experience running a similar style of offense. McCarron is a game manager, pair him with Vets like Foster and Johnson and i could see him florishing. Trade the first Pick and build for the future is the way i would go. Then again im no GM so my opinion really holds no weight.

If I was them I'd probably take Clowney. No way to John Football, maybe to Teddy and Bortles. The way I see it, Teddy and Bortles are the only QBs who are legitimate first round talents (I think John football is a second round guy at best who will go in the top 8 because of QB inflation) but I don't think either one of them is first overall pick type material. I think they are guys who will be pretty good pros in a couple years, but for them to be successful as rookies they'd probably have to land in a pretty good situation. The Texans have Keenum and Yates already, they may not be franchise QBs but they should be able to win games if they have a good defense. A defense with Clowney, Watt and Cushing (known juicer btw) would tear a new one in the 2013 Colt's O-line twice a year, among other O-lines.

Okay. Setting myself up for smarty pants responses, but are any of this years crop of QBs really a lot better than Case Keenum?

Keenum looked miles better than Schaub when he first played, but the whole team kind of imploded and he didn't do so well down the stretch.

Andre Johnson is old, the other WR was a rookie, the TE isn't the same, and their stud RB was out. Its not like there were a lot of options for him.

Okay. Setting myself up for smarty pants responses, but are any of this years crop of QBs really a lot better than Case Keenum?

Keenum looked miles better than Schaub when he first played, but the whole team kind of imploded and didn't do so well down the stretch.

Andre Johnson is old, the other WR was a rookie, the TE isn't the same, and their stud RB was out. Its not like there were a lot of options for him.

Is Matt Shaub really done?  How weak it his arm AND his mind after last year?  TJ Yates had good moments awhile back....????  Clowney it is :)

Is Matt Shaub really done?  How weak it his arm AND his mind after last year?  TJ Yates had good moments awhile back....????  Clowney it is :)

I assume they are moving on from Schaub. Heck, I thought they already did! I've got to stick to commenting about Colts.....

Clowney didn't make the rules, the NFL did. He made sure he made it to the draft. His teammates wouldn't have helped him if he had gotten hurt and blown his payday. Blame the system, not Clowney.

Perhaps.....   but if I'm an NFL team, I have to wonder what this guy is going to be like once he gets big money.   And if he's a high first round kid, he's going to get big money.     Now, it's the 2nd contract that gets the Biggest Money! 

But I'd worry about JC...   how much effort...   and -- just as important -- scheme fit.    Can a 4-3 RDE play effectively in a 3-4 scheme?!?     I'd be very worried about that....

Perhaps.....   but if I'm an NFL team, I have to wonder what this guy is going to be like once he gets big money.   And if he's a high first round kid, he's going to get big money.     Now, it's the 2nd contract that gets the Biggest Money! 

But I'd worry about JC...   how much effort...   and -- just as important -- scheme fit.    Can a 4-3 RDE play effectively in a 3-4 scheme?!?     I'd be very worried about that....

By your logic, I wouldn't worry about him at all. He will work hard through his rookie contract to get the big reward at the end. Who cares about the scheme? If you have Watt and Clowney, change the damn scheme to make the most of those two. No other team has anything like them.

They should Trade the pick, we all can agree Clowney is a cant miss prospect. But the texans already have the best defensive line in the league IMO they really do not need Clowney. As far as a franchise QB goes neither one of the prospects projected to go in the 1st round warrants the first pick IMO. They should instead take a look at McCarron in the later rounds. He is someone that has experience running a similar style of offense. McCarron is a game manager, pair him with Vets like Foster and Johnson and i could see him florishing. Trade the first Pick and build for the future is the way i would go. Then again im no GM so my opinion really holds no weight.

Clowney is not a "can't miss prospect"! There is no such thing and Clowney has a lot to prove. He is a physical freak but that means absolutely nothing. I think those who believe that Clowney is going to take the league by storm are going to be sorely mistaken. He maybe a good player but I do not think he'll be great by a long shot.

Clowney is not a "can't miss prospect"! There is no such thing and Clowney has a lot to prove. He is a physical freak but that means absolutely nothing. I think those who believe that Clowney is going to take the league by storm are going to be sorely mistaken. He maybe a good player but I do not think he'll be great by a long shot.

I think he will not only be a good player but a great player. He is the most sure thing in the entire draft. Put him on the same team with Watt and they will punish QBs for the next ten years.

I think he will not only be a good player but a great player. He is the most sure thing in the entire draft. Put him on the same team with Watt and they will punish QBs for the next ten years.

Sorry, but I don't buy this, Clowney shows very little effort and other than the "huge hit", there's nothing that screams great player. His sack total was very poor his senior year (believe he got 3.5 sacks), his lack of effort and heart is going to turn a lot of teams off and make a team that drafts him very mad. He's a highlight reel, but not an effective football player. Plus, 1 defensive player, no matter how good he is, isn't going to change the game like a franchise qb can. Look at J.J. Watt, he's one of the top defensive players in the league and the Texans went 2-14 last year because of their qb situation. If they drafted Bortles on the other hand, I'd be terrified. He has the highest ceiling of anyone in the draft. Very raw, but has Andrew Luck like qualities. I pray they take Clowney, who will last maybe 5 years in the NFL.

Sorry, but I don't buy this, Clowney shows very little effort and other than the "huge hit", there's nothing that screams great player. His sack total was very poor his senior year (believe he got 3.5 sacks), his lack of effort and heart is going to turn a lot of teams off and make a team that drafts him very mad. He's a highlight reel, but not an effective football player. Plus, 1 defensive player, no matter how good he is, isn't going to change the game like a franchise qb can. Look at J.J. Watt, he's one of the top defensive players in the league and the Texans went 2-14 last year because of their qb situation. If they drafted Bortles on the other hand, I'd be terrified. He has the highest ceiling of anyone in the draft. Very raw, but has Andrew Luck like qualities. I pray they take Clowney, who will last maybe 5 years in the NFL.

I would agree with you if there were a franchise QB at the top of the draft. There isn't. Most people don't see Bortles playing much for two or three years. With no franchise QB available, take the best player and that is Clowney. I don't think you will many people agreeing with your assessment of him. Andrew Luck and Bortles should not be mentioned in the same sentence, the same paragraph or the same page.

By your logic, I wouldn't worry about him at all. He will work hard through his rookie contract to get the big reward at the end. Who cares about the scheme? If you have Watt and Clowney, change the damn scheme to make the most of those two. No other team has anything like them.

Hey, I love the idea of pairing Clowney with Watt....

But simply "change the damn scheme" as you put it, is a fan's reaction.

Not every player -- or even most, for that matter -- can just play as effectively in the other scheme.   So, the other 9 Houston defenders who now have to fit into a 4-3 scheme, but were acquired to fit into a 3-4 scheme,  are going to have a heckuva time fitting in.   It's much, much, much easier said than done.

Hey, I love the idea of pairing Clowney with Watt....

But simply "change the damn scheme" as you put it, is a fan's reaction.

Not every player -- or even most, for that matter -- can just play as effectively in the other scheme.   So, the other 9 Houston defenders who now have to fit into a 4-3 scheme, but were acquired to fit into a 3-4 scheme,  are going to have a heckuva time fitting in.   It's much, much, much easier said than done.

Not really most have played a 4-3 at some point in therefootball careers be it in the NFL or college, I believe they have the personel to run either