Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What should Houston do with the number one pick?

48 members have voted

1. 1. What should Houston do with the number one pick?

• They should draft Teddy Bridgewater.
    • They should draft Johnny Manziel.
    • They should draft Blake Bortles
    • They should draft Jadevon Clowney.
    • They should trade the number one pick.

With the right coaching, Aaron Murray could be the next Aaron Rodgers with the right coaching. He does a good job of putting the ball in a place where only they can get it. He doesn't have the precision and touch that A-Rod has on his throws, but he has the winning attitude and big play mentality. Texans should really look at him.

Not really most have played a 4-3 at some point in therefootball careers be it in the NFL or college, I believe they have the personel to run either

I don't care if they've played some of one or the other....   they were acquired into one because they excel in that one...

So, for example, Houston traded one of the top 4-3 MLB a few years back,  a kid from Alabama, a former 2nd round pick to Philly, who was still running a 4-3.   (Demarcus Ryien??? I'm sure I've botched that name!)

They traded him away because he was a 4-3 MLB and they were going to a 3-4...  they didn't think he was a good fit in that system.

Honestly, I'm surprised at your comment....   one of the more common remarks people toss about here is whether or not a player is a good fit for the scheme the team wants to run....   by your remarks, players are good for most any scheme because between a few years in the NFL, their college and HS years, a player has run most schemes so is capable of handing most anything...

That's my takeaway from your comment....   and I confess it surprises me....

Perhaps that was not your meaning?

I don't care if they've played some of one or the other....   they were acquired into one because they excel in that one...

So, for example, Houston traded one of the top 4-3 MLB a few years back,  a kid from Alabama, a former 2nd round pick to Philly, who was still running a 4-3.   (Demarcus Ryien??? I'm sure I've botched that name!)

They traded him away because he was a 4-3 MLB and they were going to a 3-4...  they didn't think he was a good fit in that system.

Honestly, I'm surprised at your comment....   one of the more common remarks people toss about here is whether or not a player is a good fit for the scheme the team wants to run....   by your remarks, players are good for most any scheme because between a few years in the NFL, their college and HS years, a player has run most schemes so is capable of handing most anything...

That's my takeaway from your comment....   and I confess it surprises me....

Perhaps that was not your meaning?

Right I read that but I also read he was coming off an achilles and elbow injury, the elbow injury he played through however...The achilles injury he did not. Also it does need mentioning that Ryan did play at Alabama in college which was and is a 3-4 team, Also Ryans had arguably his 2nd best year to date in the Eagles 3-4 scheme last year, I wonder if it was more a clearing cap space move and the injuries provided that out moreso then not a scheme fit because he played at Bama who ran and runs a 3-4 and he has 3-4 ILB size and not suprisingly he was very productive in the Eagles 3-4 last year. I mean all we can do is go with whats reported but it just seems like the injuries were a convenient excuse to clear 12.5 mill total in cap space http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/20/rick-smith-calls-demeco-ryans-a-class-act/

The chance to be scary doesn't come along often. The chance do draft high risk QBs is always there.

This is not true. While I don't know if I would take a QB if I were the Texans (I voted trade down), the reality is that having the opportunity to draft the QB of your choice out of ALL QBs available in a draft class (even if many view the choices as high risk) is not always there. Next year they are not likely to have the #1 pick and the price to move up to get a QB like Bridgewater, Manziel, etc ... who has just as many ?'s and is likely just as big of risk would cost them significantly more than a single 1st round pick.

So while the chance to draft a high risk leftover later in the draft and hope you are getting a Russell Wison, etc .... may always be there, having your choice of any QB available for a single 1st round pick will not.

IMO if you are the Texans (or any franchise in their situation), and you believe that any of the top QBs even has a chance to be a high end franchise QB you have to "roll the dice". 

This is not true. While I don't know if I would take a QB if I were the Texans (I voted trade down), the reality is that having the opportunity to draft the QB of your choice out of ALL QBs available in a draft class (even if many view the choices as high risk) is not always there. Next year they are not likely to have the #1 pick and the price to move up to get a QB like Bridgewater, Manziel, etc ... who has just as many ?'s and is likely just as big of risk would cost them significantly more than a single 1st round pick.

So while the chance to draft a high risk leftover later in the draft and hope you are getting a Russell Wison, etc .... may always be there, having your choice of any QB available for a single 1st round pick will not.

IMO if you are the Texans (or any franchise in their situation), and you believe that any of the top QBs even has a chance to be a high end franchise QB you have to "roll the dice". 

Or you can go with the safe pick in Clowney, Its been a fact #1 picks that are QB's that down work out are GM killers, To many of these QB's have strikes against them an many of those wont change.......Bridgewater....Small hands...not mobile...not a great arm........Derek Carr.......ran most plays from shotgun, Gets jittery easily when pressured (If any negative traits he has will be his undoing then this is it, Its benched alot of #1 pick QB's and drove GM's out of town.)....Sometimes predetermines where he is going to throw. I think it comes down to Bortles or Clowney

Or you can go with the safe pick in Clowney, Its been a fact #1 picks that are QB's that down work out are GM killers, To many of these QB's have strikes against them an many of those wont change.......Bridgewater....Small hands...not mobile...not a great arm........Derek Carr.......ran most plays from shotgun, Gets jittery easily when pressured (If any negative traits he has will be his undoing then this is it, Its benched alot of #1 pick QB's and drove GM's out of town.)....Sometimes predetermines where he is going to throw. I think it comes down to Bortles or Clowney

I don't think Clowney is necessarily that safe of pick; I think he has some red flags/strikes of his own ... he has scheme fit questions, motivation questions, etc ... IMO the Texans should take their QB at #1 or trade back.

I don't think Clowney is necessarily that safe of pick; I think he has some red flags/strikes of his own ... he has scheme fit questions, motivation questions, etc ... IMO the Texans should take their QB at #1 or trade back.

Trade back would be a great idea to. I just dont see a QB thats worth the #1 pick. I know the excitement factor is there with Manziel because of his legs but he is so raw, I will say this though, He has a good enough arm...Not great or elite but a good arm, Its gonna be hel to catch him in the pocket , I think he can make all the throws but I dont think he can do that from the pocket, I think he has to be on the move...Nothing wrong with that, Russell Wilson makes great throws on the move and if it works who cares how it looks but Manziel dont have long speed like Robert Griffin and doesn't have anywhere near the arm talent of Wilson, The only QB needy team that should possibly pick him in the 1st might be Jacksonville I think but if Bortles is still there or Bridgewater I'd go with either one of them first,

Clowney is not a "can't miss prospect"! There is no such thing and Clowney has a lot to prove. He is a physical freak but that means absolutely nothing. I think those who believe that Clowney is going to take the league by storm are going to be sorely mistaken. He maybe a good player but I do not think he'll be great by a long shot.

out of all of the talent projected to go in the first round, your going to tell me Clowney is not a cant miss prospect? Look at how he graded at the combine his intangiables are off the chart and as you said he is a physical freak. He has something that cant be taught which is speed, everything else can be coached up. Now im not saying he will take the league by storm but i gaurantee there are ALOT of teams that would love to have Clowney and have there eye on him as well. With that being said imo he is a "Cant Miss Prospect" compared to the other talent at that position.

Trade back would be a great idea to. I just dont see a QB thats worth the #1 pick. I know the excitement factor is there with Manziel because of his legs but he is so raw, I will say this though, He has a good enough arm...Not great or elite but a good arm, Its gonna be hel to catch him in the pocket , I think he can make all the throws but I dont think he can do that from the pocket, I think he has to be on the move...Nothing wrong with that, Russell Wilson makes great throws on the move and if it works who cares how it looks but Manziel dont have long speed like Robert Griffin and doesn't have anywhere near the arm talent of Wilson, The only QB needy team that should possibly pick him in the 1st might be Jacksonville I think but if Bortles is still there or Bridgewater I'd go with either one of them first,

If they trade back can they get anything close to Clowney and what he could do playing with Watt? I don't think so. Draft Clowney and make do with the QBs you have and draft another to develop. The top QBs are not Andrew Luck, not even close. I would trade back if I thought I could get a player I really wanted. I don't think there is that player for them.

I think they should take Clowney, and my gut is one of the aforementioned quarterbacks may be available later.  They may be able to accomplish both things.

The latest rumor is that Texas is trying to get QB Ryan Mallett from the Patriots. This makes some sense since he is familiar with the new coaches game plan and might be almost as good at the QBs available in the draft. That would give Texas the chance to draft Clowney or trade down.