Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hypothetical question, if I told you at this point that Luck would make it to 3 SBs and win 1 in the next 10 years, will you take it?

chad72

Will 1 SB win in the next 10 years make you happy?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. If we make it to 3 SBs and win 1 in the next 10 years, will you be happy?

• Yes, as long as Colts win a playoff game 2 out of 3 times across playoff runs
    • Yes, regardless of what Luck's playoff record is
    • No

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the third Super Bowl loss Elway said something along the lines of, I'll keep losing Super Bowls until I win one. At least I get a chance to win.

In essence he was willing to lose every year because he gets the chance, and will eventually win.

To answer your question, yes. Anyone who says no is ignorant because they don't understand how hard it is to get there.

Actually, your comment is ignorant. The question is not asking about a difficulty factor, it's asking if we would be happy with 1/3. My answer is a resounding NO. Losing a SB is a lousy (sporting - let's get it in perspective) experience, so why would I vote for 2 outta 3 losses.

Actually, your comment is ignorant. The question is not asking about a difficulty factor, it's asking if we would be happy with 1/3. My answer is a resounding NO. Losing a SB is a lousy (sporting - let's get it in perspective) experience, so why would I vote for 2 outta 3 losses.

Taking the risk of be called ignorant, I want to point out that it took Seattle 37 years to get to the Super Bowl. The Colts went over 30 years without getting to a Super Bowl until Peyton came along. Peyton gave Indy fans unrealistic expectations about their right to be in the playoffs and the Super Bowl. Great as he may become, Andrew Luck may never get to a Super Bowl. So, you would pass on the opportunity to get that many Super Bowls and win one? Many team owners would just about die for the chance to do that. A GM that did that should be set for life.

Wasn't it Irsay that wanted more than 1 ring? I must have missed the part where Pagano said TWO Lombardi trophies. Link???

1 out of 3 is a failure and 2 out of 3 is not??? You just said you wanted Luck to go undefeated, now you say 2 out of 3 is OK???

You didn't see the emotional speech he gave in the locker room when he waa fighting cancer? I wanna say it was after the dolphins game in Luck's rookie season.

And yes I want undefeated Luck in super bowls but 2 out 3 is more realistic lol

1 out of 3 is just an insult to the colts. Especially if Reggie Wayne & Robert Mathis are still around for those super bowl games

And it's not like we're the Jags who're far from being super bowl contenders. We went 11-5 with an injury riddled team so we still don't know what we'd look like in Pep's offense at full health

Dwayne Allen, Reggie Wayne, Ballard, & Thomas were never on the field at the same time this season if I'm not mistaken

Taking the risk of be called ignorant, I want to point out that it took Seattle 37 years to get to the Super Bowl. The Colts went over 30 years without getting to a Super Bowl until Peyton came along. Peyton gave Indy fans unrealistic expectations about their right to be in the playoffs and the Super Bowl. Great as he may become, Andrew Luck may never get to a Super Bowl. So, you would pass on the opportunity to get that many Super Bowls and win one? Many team owners would just about die for the chance to do that. A GM that did that should be set for life.

Great facts, all true, but it makes absolutely no difference to what I would like to see happen. Ask me if I think we (team game) will get to 3 SB's, and win 1, then you may get a different answer. But that is not what was asked......

You didn't see the emotional speech he gave in the locker room when he waa fighting cancer? I wanna say it was after the dolphins game in Luck's rookie season.

And yes I want undefeated Luck in super bowls but 2 out 3 is more realistic lol

1 out of 3 is just an insult to the colts. Especially if Reggie Wayne & Robert Mathis are still around for those super bowl games

And it's not like we're the Jags who're far from being super bowl contenders. We went 11-5 with an injury riddled team so we still don't know what we'd look like in Pep's offense at full health

Dwayne Allen, Reggie Wayne, Ballard, & Thomas were never on the field at the same time this season if I'm not mistaken

Andrew Luck may go undefeated in Super Bowls but it might be because he never gets to one. I think Wilson and the Seahawks will be in his way. San Francisco will be in his way and Cam Newton in Carolina may keep him from winning a Super Bowl if he does get there. I think Indy is seriously way behind Denver, New England, San Diego, Pittsburgh, Baltimore and several other teams in the chase to get there. Right now, they are a lock to make the playoffs because they will probably get 6 wins every year in their division. They might even win a few wild card games but you saw what happened in New England. They need to get a lot better and the day of paying Luck is around the corner and then their will be salary cap issues. I look for an enormous bounce back from Houston this coming year so they might not win their six in the South. I hope they get to the Super Bowl next year but I do not realistically think that will happen.

Two Super Bowl wins. What makes you think that he will not?

He is way too up and down in the regular season. Philip Rivers seems to be more consistent than Eli in the regular season.

If Eli continues his inconsistency, he will need 3 or 4 SB rings to make it to the HOF, IMO. If he however puts together several good regular seasons moving forward without another SB ring, I can see him getting in as a second ballot HOF, just not the very first time he is nominated.

Eli has to compete with Big Ben and Philip Rivers from the same 2004 class. Very unlikely he is a first ballot HOF without several more outstanding regular seasons. Same with Big Ben too. Consistency for a QB across years is weighted just as much as multiple SB rings.

Two Super Bowl wins. What makes you think that he will not?

Jim Plunkett.

One super Bowl in a decade is a major accomplishment, let alone making three. Some fans but don't get it.

He is way too up and down in the regular season. Philip Rivers seems to be more consistent than Eli in the regular season.

If Eli continues his inconsistency, he will need 3 or 4 SB rings to make it to the HOF, IMO. If he however puts together a few good regular seasons moving forward without another SB ring, I can see him getting in as a second ballot HOF, just not the very first time he is nominated.

Eli has to compete with Big Ben and Philip Rivers from the same 2004 class. Very unlikely he is a first ballot HOF without a few more outstanding regular seasons. Same with Big Ben too.

River is not competition, he has never won anything and he is even more up and down than Eli. Big Ben will get in but he has been inconsistent too, I think Eli easily gets in before those players and he has tie to get to another Super Bowl or two. Haven't there been Mannings in five of the last seven Super Bowls? I am not sure about a first ballot either but I think he is a lock to get in unless the rest of his career goes like this year. It won't.

River is not competition, he has never won anything and he is even more up and down than Eli. Big Ben will get in but he has been inconsistent too, I think Eli easily gets in before those players and he has tie to get to another Super Bowl or two. Haven't there been Mannings in five of the last seven Super Bowls? I am not sure about a first ballot either but I think he is a lock to get in unless the rest of his career goes like this year. It won't.

Right now, if he has a few more good regular seasons, Eli will be a second ballot lock. Hopefully he gets it together the next few years, same for Big Ben too.

Jim Plunkett.

One super Bowl in a decade is a major accomplishment, let alone making three. Some fans but don't get it.

Some fans don't get it? Perhaps, but the vast majority do. And I certainly do. Thinking that we can 'beat the odds' may be folly, but it's not ignorant, and far from impossible, particularly with a special talent like Luck leading the way. 

Some fans don't get it? Perhaps, but the vast majority do. And I certainly do. Thinking that we can 'beat the odds' may be folly, but it's not ignorant, and far from impossible, particularly with a special talent like Luck leading the way.

I'm not saying it's to ignorant to think we can win more than one. It's ignorant to think winning"only" one is a failure.

I don't think so.  I would take rings over stats.  They're both obscenely rich, so that's a wash.  They're both going to Canton, so that's a wash too.

Eli Manning is going to Canton.  Ehh I don't buy it.  He's not that good.  He's an above average QB at best.  He's too inconsistent.

Peyton might have bad games.  Eli has bad seasons.  

Eli Manning is going to Canton.  Ehh I don't buy it.  He's not that good.  He's an above average QB at best.  He's too inconsistent.

Peyton might have bad games.  Eli has bad seasons.  

A lot of you guys really don't know your football.

He is 33 years old, has 2 Superbowl MVPs, 35,000+ yards, and 229 TDs.  

He is currently 19th on all the all time passing leaders and within the next two seasons will likely pass such legends as Johnny Unitas and Joe Montana.  

If he plays 5 more seasons at his average pace, putting him at age 38(he could play longer!), he will have:

52,500 yards- This would put him #4 All time Only Peyton, Favre, and Marino are better

346 TDs-  # 6 All time

You guys are clueless.

He is currently 19th on all the all time passing leaders and within the next two seasons will likely pass such legends as Johnny Unitas and Joe Montana.  

If he plays 5 more seasons at his average pace, putting him at age 38(he could play longer!), he will have:

52,500 yards- This would put him #4 All time Only Peyton, Favre, and Marino are better

346 TDs-  # 6 All time

You guys are clueless.

Oh my, aren't you the chippy one. In your world, is everyone clueless if they have a different opinion to you?

346 TDs-  # 6 All time

You guys are clueless.

You are just passing blanket statements with a touch of sensationalism. I personally don't think he is an average QB but he does lack consistency. You conveniently left out his INTs that allows people to evaluate his QB play in totality.

In this passing era, Eli has 229 TDs to 171 INTs, which to me is much similar to Bradshaw's 212 TDs to 210 INTs in the 70s.

Brett Favre - 508 TDs, 338 INTs, 1.5 ratio

Dan Marino - 420 TDs, 252 INTs, 1.66 ratio

Roger Staubach - 153 TDs, 109 INTs, 1.40 ratio

Eli Manning - 229 TDs, 171 INTs, 1.33 ratio

Big Ben - 219 TDs, 122 INTs, 1.79 ratio

Philip Rivers - 221 TDs, 104 INTs, outstanding 2.12 ratio

He has a worse INT rate than these guys who played in a not so pass friendly era. Just look at how he compares to Big Ben and Philip Rivers on that front from the same 2004 class.

2 SB rings and striking it rich when it counted does not erase all of those in the eyes of those who will be voting for his HOF status. That is why I said he needs some good regular seasons in a row to get his HOF lock. He can't go throwing INTs at this rate.

Just for a frame of reference, the elite QBs:

Aaron Rodgers - 188 TDs to 52 INTs, 3.61 rate (top notch but with less of a sample space and longevity)

Tom Brady - 359 TDs to 134 INTs, 2.67 rate

Peyton - 491 TDs to 219 INTs, 2.24 rate

Brees - 363 TDs to 177 INTs, 2.05 rate

You are just passing blanket statements with a touch of sensationalism. I personally don't think he is an average QB but he does lack consistency. You conveniently left out his INTs that allows people to evaluate his QB play in totality.

There's nothing sensationalizing or blanketing about it.  All Eli has to do is keep at his average pace for a few more years and he will be at least a top 10 All-time QB in yards and touchdowns. Superbowls, MVPs, yards and touchdowns is what gets you in the Hall, not how many interceptions thrown. A QB with his career stats and 2 Superbowl MVPs is a no-brainer for the Hall of Fame. 

Next.

There's nothing sensationalizing or blanketing about it. All Eli has to do is keep at his average pace for a few more years and he will be at least a top 10 All-time QB in yards and touchdowns. Superbowls, MVPs, yards and touchdowns is what gets you in the Hall, not how many interceptions thrown. A QB with his career stats and 2 Superbowl MVPs is a no-brainer for the Hall of Fame.

Next.

So you agree, he has work to do to make it. If he retired today, he isn't in the hall

There's nothing sensationalizing or blanketing about it.  All Eli has to do is keep at his average pace for a few more years and he will be at least a top 10 All-time QB in yards and touchdowns. Superbowls, MVPs, yards and touchdowns is what gets you in the Hall, not how many interceptions thrown. A QB with his career stats and 2 Superbowl MVPs is a no-brainer for the Hall of Fame. 

Next.

He may get benched this upcoming season. The leash is short on him and they have a young Qb from Syracuse they drafted last year waiting in the wings.

There's nothing sensationalizing or blanketing about it. All Eli has to do is keep at his average pace for a few more years and he will be at least a top 10 All-time QB in yards and touchdowns. Superbowls, MVPs, yards and touchdowns is what gets you in the Hall, not how many interceptions thrown. A QB with his career stats and 2 Superbowl MVPs is a no-brainer for the Hall of Fame.

Next.

Any point you make on this, or any other, will be generally ignored because of your snooty and rather irritating arrogance.

It makes you sound like a 14 year old trying to act big in front of your elders.

Get a grip and act with a little more maturity. Please.

346 TDs-  # 6 All time

You guys are clueless.

346 TDs-  # 6 All time

You guys are clueless.

Man, if Eli gets in the HOF, voters have really lowered their standards

Any point you make on this, or any other, will be generally ignored because of your snooty and rather irritating arrogance.

It makes you sound like a 14 year old trying to act big in front of your elders.

Get a grip and act with a little more maturity. Please.

Who are you?!? The Gate Keeper?

You sound like a 14 year old whining about someone else's perceived immaturity. Grandstand much?

Whatever, dude.

I've done a little trash talking but I'm also bringing statistics along with precedence to the actual argument at hand.

I guess when one has neither, one resorts to ad hominem attacks.

We mutually agree to ignore?

Thanks.  

Who are you?!? The Gate Keeper?

You sound like a 14 year old whining about someone else's perceived immaturity. Grandstand much?

Whatever, dude.

I've done a little trash talking but I'm also bringing statistics along with precedence to the actual argument at hand.

I guess when one has neither, one resorts to ad hominem attacks.

We mutually agree to ignore?

Thanks.

I wouldn't agree to anything you say at this moment in time. However, I am happy that you agree your are acting like a prize buffoon. Acceptance is the first stage in behavioural reform. Good work.

On topic, if Eli sees out his career the way his last season turned out, the Hall of Shame is his only destination.

Now play nice.

"Average" would be for a team to go 1-1 in the super bowl over the course of THIRTY-TWO years.

How many reading this have even been fans for 32 years? And your expectations are for WHAT exactly? For every team that wins more than average there is by definition a team what wins less than average. Do you think that those teams aren't trying to win too? Are their owners any less rich? Is their salary cap any lower? Is their fan base any less deserving? Wining the SB is HARD. I remember 20+ long years just praying that the Colts would stop humiliating themselves in various creative and unsettling ways.

The Colts run with Peyton was extraordinary, and we lucked into a QB who appears to have a chance to continue it. But anticipating dis-satisfaction at the prospect of fewer championships being achieved than ones over-developed sense of entitlement expects is just a waste of time. How about just enjoying the ride and being happy for whatever we get?

I also wish that people would stop portraying losing a Super Bowl as an extra special negative. That's just nonsense. It's not "losing the Super Bowl", it's "winning the conference championship" - something that's actually more impressive than (for example) winning the old NFL or AFL Championship when there were only 12-14 teams. Its's the mark of a GREAT season. And by the way, the ONLY team that has won four in a row is the Bills. The idea of characterizing them as "losers" instead of as unprecedentedly successful is pretty nuts.

I completely disagree.  Making the super bowl is special, even if you lose.  Plus, every super bowl the Colts make it to is another super bowl without the Patriots.  That alone would make me happy.

Don't worry, I disagree with everything he says.

Just curious what you all think regarding a long term perspective.

If I told you at this point that Andrew Luck would make it to 3 SBs and win 1 in the next 10 years, will you gladly take it or not?

If his playoff record in the 12 year process (including first 2 years) is 14-7, winning 2 out of every 3 games, will that be acceptable?

I am asking this because I sense the NFC getting stronger and possibly a balance of power shifting like the 80s and 90s though not as lop sided due to the salary cap. We had a run from 1997-2006 where the AFC went 8-2. Ever since 2007, the NFC has been 5-2 with the Steelers and Ravens winning in 2008 & 2012.

What's the alternative?

What's the alternative?

The basis of my hypothetical question is "if there was no alternative and this is how things played out, would you be able to accept it?". Of course, I understand the alternatives can be 0-1 in SBs like Dan Marino or 3-2 like Brady.

I clearly understand expectations are higher in the Luck era for SB wins but I wanted to gauge the pulse of the fan base to see if things played out that way, would it be fine with them? About two-thirds are fine with it, one-third is not, that is what I am gathering so far :). Some chose to explain it, some did not, either way is fine with me. At least both sides of the coin are finding out where expectation levels reside, though this is confined to a much smaller scale of Colts fans.