Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We need a true FS

BProland85

As much as I appreciate everything Bethea did for us over the years and staying healthy, he is not a good coverage safety, same as Landry. I think it would be a mistake to bring Bethea back unless he doesn't cost too much. Adding a true coverage FS would make all the difference in this secondary.

Landry just needs to take better angles, and be healthy. 

Bethea I am torn on because he still shows flashes, but there isn't really anyone better at this juncture on the market that isn't going to cost a whole bunch (byrd and ward). 

As for in the draft, I have not researched much of the safety crop either.

I really like Bethea but I realize he's lost a step and he's showing the wear and tear the NFL takes on a player. I think we're better off looking younger whether that be draft or veteran FA. I posted before that Bethea was and still is under appreciated. He really solidified the FS position for us when he came along. We had tried several different players from the late 90's until he came along and all of the others were just terrible. I just hope whoever we get can play as well as Bethea did when he was on top of his game.

When Bethea had a reliable SS (Bob or Melvin Bullitt), I thought he played well.  He didn't have to worry about helping the other safety with run support, so he would be free to roam and follow the QB's eyes.  I think he's an underrated player, but a lot of people weren't happy with his play this past season.

TJ Ward

Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix

Would say Jarius Byrd but he'd take up majority of our FA $$ so no to him. Too many holes to be pulling a move where all our money goes into ONE player that can be covered up

The secondary would look better if the pass rush got the better. It's just that simple. Well, nothing in the NFL is simple but y'all get the point

if we were only get de la puente/mack and Byrd...probably someone like sanders or doug baldwin id be hjappy

WR isn't a MAJOR need right now. Young WR core, let them grow with Andrew. The WR move can wait until next season imo

But this is a strong WR class so it wouldn't surprise me if Mr. Grigson makes a move in the draft for a WR

The only way we should take a WR is if some beast falls in our lap. Like Kennan Allen fell last year and was the best WR in that class. I think we can get a starting safety in the 2nd though. Do you guys think there is any chance Pryor falls to the end of the 2nd? I don't follow College football very much so I'm not sure.

WR isn't a MAJOR need right now. Young WR core, let them grow with Andrew. The WR move can wait until next season imo

But this is a strong WR class so it wouldn't surprise me if Mr. Grigson makes a move in the draft for a WR

This is what i have been saying. Luck has enough weapons to make things happen on offense, including his own legs and hopefully a better Trent Richardson next season.

Now, I do believe we need to get rid of Bethea and/or Landry. They both aren't good in coverage. Byrd would be awesome and so would T.J Ward in my eyes. Both quick to the ball. 

This is what i have been saying. Luck has enough weapons to make things happen on offense, including his own legs and hopefully a better Trent Richardson next season.

Now, I do believe we need to get rid of Bethea and/or Landry. They both aren't good in coverage. Byrd would be awesome and so would T.J Ward in my eyes. Both quick to the ball.

And both would take up all of our FA money sooo yeah

Will Hill is not a FA this year. What do you think about Stevie Brown? He tore his ACL in preseason but in 2012 he had 8 picks. What was his PFF coverage grade for that year?

My bad on WIll Hill. 

Brown had a +3.2 grade in coverage in 2012 (17 of 26 for 259 yards, 1 TD and 8 INTs)

He'd be a solid, cheap option for us.

Will Hill is not a FA this year. What do you think about Stevie Brown? He tore his ACL in preseason but in 2012 he had 8 picks. What was his PFF coverage grade for that year?

He would be a really good option as long as he's healthy. I forgot he was a free agent.

i agree which is why i didnt go for a high profile WR. just a solid player

I say give Landry another year. I think he wasn't the same after the ankle injury. He was solid before the injury. With Bethea likely gone, a solid safety playing beside him would help a lot

a different safety next to Landry won't change how horrible he is