Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie ahead of schedule on rehab; expects to start running on the 25th.

Dustin

I hope it is not a case of Marvin Harrison in 2008 before he was released. I hope Wayne can still separate from CBs and has a very productive year.

I would think his injury certainly might affect his speed and athletic ability, but IMO, the majority of the reason for his success has been his smarts and excellent route running.  That's why I think it will be easier for him to come back then lets say, Marvin or TY.

I would think his injury certainly might affect his speed and athletic ability, but IMO, the majority of the reason for his success has been his smarts and excellent route running.  That's why I think it will be easier for him to come back then lets say, Marvin or TY.

Lets not kid ourselves, Marvin was an outstanding route runner too but that can only get you so far.

Half a step at this age for a WR vs CBs can be career shortening, if not career ending. Marvin's athletic ability was just at such a high level that when they continued to put #1 CBs on him, the slight loss of step showed up easily. So, if we continue using Reggie outside vs #1 CBs, I am afraid we won't get the same productivity.

I'm almost tempted to reduce Reggie's snaps and put him in as a #2/3 possession wideout to further his career. If we go back and look, we have literally pounded Reggie to the ground in terms of snaps and plays he has been in for a LONG time. Play him inside more where it is harder to double team. Let TY and Da'Rick develop as outside wideouts and put Reggie inside in 3 WR formations. Smaller guys like Antonio Brown are not doing all that bad as outside wideouts.

Lets not kid ourselves, Marvin was an outstanding route runner too but that can only get you so far.

Half a step at this age for a WR vs CBs can be career shortening, if not career ending. Marvin's athletic ability was just at such a high level that when they continued to put #1 CBs on him, the slight loss of step showed up easily. So, if we continue using Reggie outside vs #1 CBs, I am afraid we won't get the same productivity.

I'm almost tempted to reduce Reggie's snaps and put him in as a #2/3 possession wideout to further his career. If we go back and look, we have literally pounded Reggie to the ground in terms of snaps and plays he has been in for a LONG time. Play him inside more where it is harder to double team. Let TY and Da'Rick develop as outside wideouts and put Reggie inside in 3 WR formations. Smaller guys like Antonio Brown are not doing all that bad as outside wideouts.

That's what's been happening for the past 2 years. 

It's tough to say though, sports medicine is evolving so rapidly. If Wayne is as focused as he sounds and with a bit of luck he may surprise us all with how much he gets back.

Especially if ty continues to develop into a true number 1 receiver and draws more coverage.

I think that's what will happen, T.Y and Rogers on the outside with Wayne in the slot. Whalen as the 2nd slot WR in case Wayne has a setback.

I hope it is not a case of Marvin Harrison in 2008 before he was released. I hope Wayne can still separate from CBs and has a very productive year.

Let's be honest, Reggie wasn't getting much separation in 2009 and speed hasn't been a big part of his game since.

Reg has lined up in the slot more than any of our other receivers the last 2 seasons and he will continue to do so. And you have to admit he hasn't exactly been the fleetest of foot the past few years anyway. I really hope his football knowledge and route running will allow him to compete at a high level for another couple years(I personally think he plays 2 more)

If (when) Reggie gets healed enough to make his cuts and breaks, he will be fully able to be that go-to guy again.

We gotta realize that Reggie is exceptional among NFL players at taking care of his body and staying in shape.

I think 'The Man' can do anything he wants to.

Marvin was released because Polian didn't want to pony up the 13Mil for him. Marvin had no desire to restructure his contract either, and with not knowing how well he'd come back from his injury Polian gave him his walking papers.

Marvin didn't even make it training camp, I don't believe. Marvin's cap hit was as much to blame for his release as was his injury. Sad that Polian and Marvin couldn't come to an agreement.

Reggie's cap hit isn't nearly as bad as what Marvin's was at the time and plus the Colts are MUCH better off salary cap wise that they can let Reggie recover and not force him into the whole "restructure or be released" issue.

Ty is fast and has good hands. But long term he can't be a true number 1 because of his size. I don't think he can or ever will be a number 1. We need a big and fast WR on the outside that can take a beating on double teams etc.. It'll be nice to get Decker but he will cost too much and I think he is one of those WR that looks great because of P money.

Good news on Reggie. I for one think he will come back next season, and get right back wre he left off. It will be big for Andrew Luck to have someone with sure hands on the field. Reggie never was the fastest guy, but his ability to run routes set him apart from... Well, everyone.