Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck voted second just behind Peyton Manning for the player of your choice when you start a franchise

Shane Bond

As part of ESPN's NFL Nation Confidential survey of more than 320 players, the questions were asked, "If you had to start a team with one player, whom would it be?" and "Which player do you respect the most?"

And Manning was the top choice for both.

Manning was the leading vote-getter as first pick to start a team, with 62 votes (19 percent). Andrew Luck, who replaced Manning in Indianapolis, received 56 votes, and Tom Brady was third with 41 votes.

Eighty-six players (27 percent) chose Manning as the player they most respect. Brady and Vikings running back Adrian Peterson tied for second with 24 votes each.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10303066/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-most-respected-nfl-espn-survey

I am not surprised at all with the list and the voters are current NFL players.

I am proud of it as one is a former Colts and another is a current Colts.

You are right but i think their predicament is if all of them are available for same duration.

It didn't really say that, but I was thinking that from a players point of view Manning is the right answer.  Your career is "now", you can't count on potential working out.  You want a guy that's going to win for you today.

From a fan's pov or even management, the Andrew is the right answer.

Best quote is from Champ Bailey: "A guy like Peyton, you watch how he does things, how he works, even now when he works like a guy just trying to make it, not a guy who's done what he has, you always have hope. And that's rare."

I like that statement because it reminds me how Peyton worked after practice to hone the skill set of Pierre Garcon, Austin Collie, Jacob Tamme, etc. etc. He is willing to do whatever it takes to make that 2nd tier WR or TE a premium talent by the time Peyton is done with him. Pierre Garcon should thank 18 personally for the 2009 SB season in INDY & how that eye in the sky videotape material got Garcon a huge payday with the Washington Redskins. 

Peyton will do whatever it takes to earn a WR or TE a roster spot if they agree to bleed, sweat, & put the time in. Don't waste his time, your time, or the franchise's time. If Peyton sees your commitment toward improving, he will give you every opportunity to shine & that's what I respect about him the most. 

--Peace out... haha [Drops the microphone with a loud, resounding thud & walks away in silence.] 

Luck voted second? He's like Stafford an interception machine!

Just as they say don't come to a gun fight armed with a knife, I urge you, don't come to a battle of wits armed with idiocy.

9 interceptions in 16 games. 2nd lowest intetception per pass of 16 game starters. All playoff interceptions came when the Colts were behind by a large margin, but Dennards which many will admit was a mistake on Luck's part.

Andrew should be #1 based on his age and potential.

But then you have *s who write these kinds of stories:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24409102/coach-killers-week-19-lucks-poor-performance-raises-questions

What sad excuse not for the writer, but rather the simple minded conclusions that Mr. Ryan Wilson reaches are just laughable because Luck took the Colts to the Playoffs in his 1st 2 NFL seasons & beat the heavily favored Chiefs. 

"Luck's two-playoff-game totals: 50 of 86 (58.1 percent) for 774, 6 TDs, 7 INTs."

Do Andrew's turnover need to decline? Yes, of course they do, but come on it is only his 2nd year with his 2nd OC & Luck still made the post season twice. Pretty darn good if you ask me. This guy & Skip Bayless should compare notes on how to slam Andrew Luck's QB skill set too. SMH & rolling my eyes as we speak. LOL!

Any NFL team that wants to win the Lombardi needs a great QB play correct? But is it possible now in the NFL to spend money all on Defense and win it all? I mean I'm pretty much asking like when the baltimore ravens won the SB with Trent folder at the helm.

I was under the impression that this was assuming each would contribute for the same amount of years(like each was a rookie). Otherwise I can't fathom Why anyone would take Peyton.

Well, every player on the list is active.. So im guessing it was just for current players.

What sad excuse not for the writer, but rather the simple minded conclusions that Mr. Ryan Wilson reaches are just laughable because Luck took the Colts to the Playoffs in his 1st 2 NFL seasons & beat the heavily favored Chiefs. 

"Luck's two-playoff-game totals: 50 of 86 (58.1 percent) for 774, 6 TDs, 7 INTs."

Do Andrew's turnover need to decline? Yes, of course they do, but come on it is only his 2nd year with his 2nd OC & Luck still made the post season twice. Pretty darn good if you ask me. This guy & Skip Bayless should compare notes on how to slam Andrew Luck's QB skill set too. SMH & rolling my eyes as we speak. LOL!

I don't know if you read the user comments at the end of the article, just about everyone said the writer was being ignorant. I could see how a blogger cut write that, but a major network sports page?

Maybe they're from the Brad Wells school of journalism, it doesn't matter what they write as long as they get page hits. So people telling them they're *s is as good as fans since it's all the same page hits.

I don't put much stock in these polls but honestly if you were starting a team and could have any player in the NFL to do it with it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out you take the kid who looks like he's going to be the NFL's next great QB who is only in his second year.   

It's the big reason Irsay made the decision to go with Luck over Manning.  He knew there was something special about Luck and having just had the last guy who just had something special about him in Manning after trying to force it with George and seeing that fail and after missing out on the guy who had something special about him in Elway he knew he couldn't pass on Luck.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Andrew Luck wasn't in that draft Peyton is still a Colt. 

I don't put much stock in these polls but honestly if you were starting a team and could have any player in the NFL to do it with it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out you take the kid who looks like he's going to be the NFL's next great QB who is only in his second year.   

It's the big reason Irsay made the decision to go with Luck over Manning.  He knew there was something special about Luck and having just had the last guy who just had something special about him in Manning after trying to force it with George and seeing that fail and after missing out on the guy who had something special about him in Elway he knew he couldn't pass on Luck.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Andrew Luck wasn't in that draft Peyton is still a Colt. 

And we would be a salary cap purgatory, his contract would have tied Management's hands. 

I was under the impression that this was assuming each would contribute for the same amount of years(like each was a rookie). Otherwise I can't fathom Why anyone would take Peyton.

You'd take Peyton to start your franchise for the offensive structure he would instill in your team...and the fact that he can still carry a team with a questionable defense

...but Andrew is going to be the answer to this question in a year or two

The poll is obviously stupid with everyone using different criteria. Some are thinking "win now" and choosing Manning , while others are taking the player with the best "value" which would be Luck. How else can you have Manning 1st while Luck is ahead of guys like Brady and Rodgers ?