Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton says Bill Belichick "greatest coach of all time" & PM's Funny short video on Meaning of Omaha

bayone

it says something about the Broncos quarterback's admiration for New England coach Bill Belichick when Manning said the following Wednesday afternoon: "Coach Belichick is the best coach that I have ever competed against, and I think it's safe to say that he will go down as the greatest NFL coach of all time."

Link also has a 50 second funny  video of peyton explaining the  what  Omaha means

Read more: Peyton Manning calls Patriots' Bill Belichick "greatest coach of all time" - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24917885/marquice-cole-takes-his-place-newcomer-broncos-secondary#ixzz2qVfZt1Ok 

How quickly people forget coaches like Bill Walsh. Everything present day always has to be labeled the best.

I think there isn't a player who knows more about the history of the game. He isn't ignorant to NFL history. I doubt he would say something like this without truly meaning it.

I think there isn't a player who knows more about the history of the game. I doubt he would say something like this without truly meaning it.

He may very well mean it, but he never played for/against guys like Paul Brown or Bill Walsh so how could he possibly know?

He may very well mean it, but he never played for/against guys like Paul Brown or Bill Walsh so how could he possibly know?

One thing Belichick has going for him compared to others is he has been successful with and without a Hall of Fame quarterback.

What has Walsh done that Belichick hasn't?

One thing Belichick has going for him compared to others is he has been successful with and without a Hall of Fame quarterback.

What has Walsh done that Belichick hasn't?

Belichick had one good season where the patriots missed the playoffs without Brady. Hell, Walsh took Steve Young, who was riding the pine in Tampa and made him a HOFer.

and what Walsh did was help revolutionize the the league with his west coast offense.

Belichick had one good season where the patriots missed the playoffs without Brady. Hell, Walsh took Steve Young, who was riding the pine in Tampa and made him a HOFer.

and what Walsh did was help revolutionize the the league with his west coast offense.

No offense because we all know what Walsh means to the game but in the modern day era with free agency did he take his team to 8 conference championships and 5 super bowls? Who knows maybe even a sixth. I don't think Peyton was saying Bill is the greatest ever but simply saying that he may go down as one of the greatest ever...much to how people say the same about Peyton. Fact is it hasn't so much been Tom beating Peyton so much down through the years (because Tom has no influence on what Peyton does) but rather Bill outmatching Peyton with his defense. I see nothing wrong with Peytons comments and if you don't think it is truely remarkable what Bill has done with the Pats this year or early on with an underdog team taking out the vaunted Rams with a sixth rd draft  pick at qb well..I don't know what else to say. The only negative I have to say about Bill Belichick is about his decision to carry out spygate. To me I despise poor sportsmanship and cheaters and someone that will try to skirt around the rules to gain an advantage...no one knows exactly what happened as much as Patriot and football fans want to believe. All the evidence was quickly destroyed and the Pats got a harsh penalty. Everything we know about it is just hearsay and bunch of subjection. All that said clearly Bill didn't need to do it because he has continued to keep his team at the pinnacle of the NFL for over a decade...you can't do that without being perhaps one of the greatest coaches of this era if not any era. Sadly the spygate will have to be part of his legacy too..and he will forever have to have that tied to his great legacy...and thats no one but his own fault. I may agree Bill may not be the greatest ever...but it doesn't mean Peyton's comments/opinions aren't any less valid and especially considering someone that will know more about football than everyone on this forum combined I tend to lend credability to his comments....even if they serve a different purpose in this instance.

I admire the respect that Peyton Manning & Bill Belichick have for 1 another like 2 Civil War generals that graduated from West Point one year apart & everyone knew even their teachers/mentors that they were both destined for great things. 

Everytime I see this I smile. After this gesture of kindness, SW1 just can't hate either Tom Brady or the Grey Hoodie at all...

I'd have to be deaf, dumb, & stupid not to have profound respect for BB, Tom Brady, & Peyton Manning.

NE is a chief rival, but a well respected one & for good reason: Relentless winning & consistency especially this year, but the Broncos faced crucial injuries in Ryan Clady, Kevin Vickerson, Derek Wolfe, & Von Miller too. 

If Manning gets asked about what "Omaha" means this week, will Brady get asked what inspired the fake "Statute Of Liberty" play that he excels at whenever he pulls that trick out of his magician hat now too? 

My money is on simple NY Jets hatred within the AFC East Division & a Brady compulsion to annihilate Rex Ryan's squad everytime these 2 teams lineup against each other.

Wow man, I had no idea Rich Eisein from NFL Network had that kind of pull. Rich kept asking Marshal Faulk what Omaha meant & Faulk kept dodging the question refusing to answer it directly. 

No offense because we all know what Walsh means to the game but in the modern day era with free agency did he take his team to 8 conference championships and 5 super bowls? Who knows maybe even a sixth. I don't think Peyton was saying Bill is the greatest ever but simply saying that he may go down as one of the greatest ever...much to how people say the same about Peyton. Fact is it hasn't so much been Tom beating Peyton so much down through the years (because Tom has no influence on what Peyton does) but rather Bill outmatching Peyton with his defense. I see nothing wrong with Peytons comments and if you don't think it is truely remarkable what Bill has done with the Pats this year or early on with an underdog team taking out the vaunted Rams with a sixth rd draft  pick at qb well..I don't know what else to say. The only negative I have to say about Bill Belichick is about his decision to carry out spygate. To me I despise poor sportsmanship and cheaters and someone that will try to skirt around the rules to gain an advantage...no one knows exactly what happened as much as Patriot and football fans want to believe. All the evidence was quickly destroyed and the Pats got a harsh penalty. Everything we know about it is just hearsay and bunch of subjection. All that said clearly Bill didn't need to do it because he has continued to keep his team at the pinnacle of the NFL for over a decade...you can't do that without being perhaps one of the greatest coaches of this era if not any era. Sadly the spygate will have to be part of his legacy too..and he will forever have to have that tied to his great legacy...and thats no one but his own fault. I may agree Bill may not be the greatest ever...but it doesn't mean Peyton's comments/opinions aren't any less valid and especially considering someone that will know more about football than everyone on this forum combined I tend to lend credability to his comments....even if they serve a different purpose in this instance.

Very well stated dgambill!  Bravo sir! Nothing to add. I just appreciate such an accurate, beautiful piece of prose there. Too bad you didn't write for ESPN because if you did, I'd read your column every week. 

Actually, I could care less what "Omaha" means, but I wanna know what the hades "short ox!" implies though. Was it inspired by Paul Bunyan & his animal sidekick  Babe the Blue Ox? 

Shoot, now I have this overwhelming urge for pancakes now... haha  Yes, Bruce Willis blueberry pancakes. [A "Pulp Fiction" film joke.] Okay, SW1 will shut up now. Sorry.

Actually, I could care less what "Omaha" means, but I wanna know what the hades "short ox!" implies though. Was it inspired by Paul Bunyan & his animal sidekick Babe the Blue Ox?

Shoot, now I have this overwhelming urge for pancakes now... haha Yes, Bruce Willis blueberry pancakes. [A "Pulp Fiction" film joke.] Okay, SW1 will shut up now. Sorry.

I hope Peyton writes a guide book to his audibles after he retires. haha

On 1 TV show , Do not know if true but in discussing this., Jaws said the beauty of the signal calling is not the Omaha, it can have many different meanings that get changed, the beauty is somewhere he will call out a QB names like Moon Or Jarwarski,

the significance of that is the teammate then takes the players # , for Moon his # was 1, players just have to remember that moons # is 1 and for that game and that game only he is calling for play #1, ( each game play # 1 may be different ) It may even been only for that half and then in second half play # 1 may be different or as often as Peyton tells team to change , like with each chaange , what would be next higher play assigned top say # 2 , it now becomes # 1

just found  link anther topic subject see 2:55 Mark    for Jaws explaining part of it

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:10288851

lost amnong all the faj ke stuff the defense realkly cant here it as he says that name lower

so peyton distills 19 staple   plays into 19 - 1 word names , u no the name, u know the entire play called,no matter where   in all that signal mush he can call that name and it gets lost among defenders who dont know its significance, cant keep up with QB's # or cant keep up when they figure out # and what play is for that # and then Peyton switches Play 1 to a different play still using Moon as the key word to tell the play

I hope i explained this right , it was from Monday , & klnow Jaws did a better job ,, but i know i got the key point, a 1 word name equates into the entire information needed to call the play, the rest is whatever for the most part

I hope Peyton writes a guide book to his audibles after he retires. haha

Actually, I could care less what "Omaha" means, but I wanna know what the hades "short ox!" implies though. Was it inspired by Paul Bunyan & his animal sidekick  Babe the Blue Ox? 

Shoot, now I have this overwhelming urge for pancakes now... haha  Yes, Bruce Willis blueberry pancakes. [A "Pulp Fiction" film joke.] Okay, SW1 will shut up now. Sorry.

No offense because we all know what Walsh means to the game but in the modern day era with free agency did he take his team to 8 conference championships and 5 super bowls? Who knows maybe even a sixth. I don't think Peyton was saying Bill is the greatest ever but simply saying that he may go down as one of the greatest ever...much to how people say the same about Peyton. Fact is it hasn't so much been Tom beating Peyton so much down through the years (because Tom has no influence on what Peyton does) but rather Bill outmatching Peyton with his defense. I see nothing wrong with Peytons comments and if you don't think it is truely remarkable what Bill has done with the Pats this year or early on with an underdog team taking out the vaunted Rams with a sixth rd draft pick at qb well..I don't know what else to say. The only negative I have to say about Bill Belichick is about his decision to carry out spygate. To me I despise poor sportsmanship and cheaters and someone that will try to skirt around the rules to gain an advantage...no one knows exactly what happened as much as Patriot and football fans want to believe. All the evidence was quickly destroyed and the Pats got a harsh penalty. Everything we know about it is just hearsay and bunch of subjection. All that said clearly Bill didn't need to do it because he has continued to keep his team at the pinnacle of the NFL for over a decade...you can't do that without being perhaps one of the greatest coaches of this era if not any era. Sadly the spygate will have to be part of his legacy too..and he will forever have to have that tied to his great legacy...and thats no one but his own fault. I may agree Bill may not be the greatest ever...but it doesn't mean Peyton's comments/opinions aren't any less valid and especially considering someone that will know more about football than everyone on this forum combined I tend to lend credability to his comments....even if they serve a different purpose in this instance.

I'm not sure why that rambling response was necessary. I never said he wasn't a great coach or that I wasn't impressed, nor did I say he isn't one of the greatest....but there seems to be this bandwagon of declaring BB the greatest coach of all time. Sorry, but I think that is rather silly. Hell, he may be, but there are a lot of people declaring it like there really isn't much of an argument.

And I don't care one iota about spygate.....so overblown.

Walsh didn't have to deal with a salary cap. That does make an enormous difference.

And BB didn't have to deal with the Joe Gibbs Redskins or the Parcells Giants, or the 85 Bears. It's not like the salary camp only hinders the Patriots....it hinders every team in the league.

I'm not sure why that rambling response was necessary. I never said he wasn't a great coach or that I wasn't impressed, nor did I say he isn't one of the greatest....but there seems to be this bandwagon of declaring BB the greatest coach of all time. Sorry, but I think that is rather silly. Hell, he may be, but there are a lot of people declaring it like there really isn't much of an argument.

And I don't care one iota about spygate.....so overblown.

I am with you here. I think right now Bill is the best HC in the game and the best of this cap/FA era but I need to see him coach post-Brady before deciding if he is the greatest, if that can even be said unanimously about anyone. We know what he was before Brady 36-44 with one playoff appearance and one playoff win in six seasons. And he did do a great job with Cassell with the 11 wins but no playoffs and only one season on a pretty stacked team. I think what might also separate Bill from the other HCs is that he is also the GM so he is putting together team and coaching it. I often feel like Bill the coach often covers for Bill the GM in this regard but still his record speaks for itself but I am inclined to think it is more due to Brady than anything else. I do hope Bill gives me the chance to be proven wrong and coaches post-Brady.

I personally think Belichick is the greatest of all time considering what he has accomplished in the era of parity. It wouldn't bug me at all to watch him take his fourth in the stadium of the team where it all started for him as he further cements his place.

And BB didn't have to deal with the Joe Gibbs Redskins or the Parcells Giants, or the 85 Bears. It's not like the salary camp only hinders the Patriots....it hinders every team in the league.

Whats your point about those coaches...the fact that Joe Gibbs had just as many Super Bowls or Parcells had a couple and the 85 Bears...they all beat Walsh so that makes him greater? In an era where you could keep all your great players and pay them as much as you wanted Walsh had stacked teams whose stars never left. Belichick has had to regularly turn over his roster over and over to stay under the cap and still takes his team to the playoffs every year and to the AFC championship 8 times and SB 5 times...and also won 2 SBs as an assistant one as the DC for the Giants in a brilliant defensive game that defeated the high powered Buffalo Bills. His win/loss record speaks for itself...and yes the cap hinders everyone...and we see the only constant in the nfl is the Patriots. No other organization has as many wins or won their conference as often. While great organizations like the Giants, Steelers, 49ers, and Baltimore have their ups and downs Bill is always right there...collecting hardware. It is impossible to compare different eras but sometimes you just have to watch a coach work and realize his greatness when he simply just wins wins wins. He makes the right adjustments, he gets the most from his players, and his players buy into a system. I can't say he is the best ever...but best of this era hands down. Personally its impossible for me to put someone ahead of Vince Lombardi and yes it isn't like there is no discussion but when a player with the stature of Peyton Manning (who has spent time at many pro bowls with Bill) who could double as football historian makes a comment....I have to probably take him at his word...and its not him...Bill Cower and others say the same thing....almost everyone does...they may not all be right...but there is a clear reason why they say it...and they all have been around the game much longer and have a better understanding of how it works than you or I. Fact is when legends of the game stand up and take notice...maybe we should too.

Whats your point about those coaches...the fact that Joe Gibbs had just as many Super Bowls or Parcells had a couple and the 85 Bears...they all beat Walsh so that makes him greater? In an era where you could keep all your great players and pay them as much as you wanted Walsh had stacked teams whose stars never left. Belichick has had to regularly turn over his roster over and over to stay under the cap and still takes his team to the playoffs every year and to the AFC championship 8 times and SB 5 times...and also won 2 SBs as an assistant one as the DC for the Giants in a brilliant defensive game that defeated the high powered Buffalo Bills. His win/loss record speaks for itself...and yes the cap hinders everyone...and we see the only constant in the nfl is the Patriots. No other organization has as many wins or won their conference as often. While great organizations like the Giants, Steelers, 49ers, and Baltimore have their ups and downs Bill is always right there...collecting hardware. It is impossible to compare different eras but sometimes you just have to watch a coach work and realize his greatness when he simply just wins wins wins. He makes the right adjustments, he gets the most from his players, and his players buy into a system. I can't say he is the best ever...but best of this era hands down. Personally its impossible for me to put someone ahead of Vince Lombardi and yes it isn't like there is no discussion but when a player with the stature of Peyton Manning (who has spent time at many pro bowls with Bill) who could double as football historian makes a comment....I have to probably take him at his word...and its not him...Bill Cower and others say the same thing....almost everyone does...they may not all be right...but there is a clear reason why they say it...and they all have been around the game much longer and have a better understanding of how it works than you or I. Fact is when legends of the game stand up and take notice...maybe we should too.

Oh please.....20 years from now they all will have have a new "greatest coach ever". I heard the same crap about Phil Jackson. And what some guy like Cowher says on a pre game show means little to me.....he is human just like everyone else and gets caught up in the now.

My point wasn't about the coaches, it was about the teams those 49ers had to play. Everybody wants to say how difficult the salary cap era is, but Walsh had to play against stacked teams in his era. There is always a trade off.

And yes, comparing different era's is silly....that's mainly why I bristle at the suggestion BB is the greatest.....and the fact that the vast majority of their work is done behind the scenes that nobody...me, you, Bill Cowher, will never see.

Imagine Vince Lombardi and Bill Belichick in the same room talking football...epic.

You mean the HOF busts talking to each other at night like John Madden said at his induction ceremony or the 2 men literally speaking to 1 another in real time? 

Where the hades is Doc's [Actor Christopher Lloyd] Delorean time machine when we need one?  haha  ["Back To The Future" film joke.]

michael-j-fox-and-back-to-the-future-par

Oh please.....20 years from now they all will have have a new "greatest coach ever". I heard the same crap about Phil Jackson. And what some guy like Cowher says on a pre game show means little to me.....he is human just like everyone else and gets caught up in the now.

My point wasn't about the coaches, it was about the teams those 49ers had to play. Everybody wants to say how difficult the salary cap era is, but Walsh had to play against stacked teams in his era. There is always a trade off.

And yes, comparing different era's is silly....that's mainly why I bristle at the suggestion BB is the greatest.....and the fact that the vast majority of their work is done behind the scenes that nobody...me, you, Bill Cowher, will never see.

Indeed it is.....something he was doing for two SB winners before as well before coming to NE. There will never be a definative answer to this debate...just like the greatest qb ever debate....but I think the consensus is that he belongs among the greats...Lombardi, Shula, Walsh, Halas , Gibbs, and Belichick. I see no problem with Peytons comments and I'm sure he doesn't throw those around lightly considering his knowledge of the game and his affection for the game's history and greats. Looking at what he has achieved....it measures up to all those greats. 

Imagine Vince Lombardi and Bill Belichick in the same room talking football...epic.

Vince Lombardi to BB: "I can't wrap my head around that Bill. How does free agency work exactly? Explain it slowly one more time. Thanks. "

"What? You mean defensive players can't rip the QB to shreds anymore or even touch them now? Git Outta Here!" LOL! 

You mean the HOF busts talking to each other at night like John Madden said at his induction ceremony or the 2 men literally speaking to 1 another in real time? 

Where the hades is Doc's [Actor Christopher Lloyd] Delorean time machine when we need one?  haha  ["Back To The Future" film joke.]

michael-j-fox-and-back-to-the-future-par

Either or. It'd be a great conversation to hear either way. :)

I hear ya Trust me, but...  It is really hard to find a coach who has done what BB has done.  Walsh had an amazing and HUGE impact on the game.  Like BB he is often overshadowed by his QB which would never have been without the coach.  Anyways lets get back on topic...

The salary cap is a huge leveling tool for the NFL.  Walsh did not have to deal with this.  Yes I understand that other teams had the same advantage but the fact is that teams had disadvantage in Walsh's time and the ability to "stack talent" did exist.  In today's era there is literally no ability to "stack talent" on a specific team.  The ability of BB to fight injuries, cap restrictions, free agency and other team limiting factors in today's game is amazing.  He consistently puts a complete team on the field.

For example, Lets take the 2013 year.  He loses LB after LB, his start DT and other pieces to his D.  Did his defense ever give up more than 35? It only gave up more than 30... once... That is just amazing.  He truly strikes fear in teams because you know that when you play the Pats you are going to face a well coached balanced football team with no true weakness and the ability to take away your best threat.  Think about how powerful of a statement that is in today's era of football.

I hear ya Trust me, but...  It is really hard to find a coach who has done what BB has done.  Walsh had an amazing and HUGE impact on the game.  Like BB he is often overshadowed by his QB which would never have been without the coach.  Anyways lets get back on topic...

The salary cap is a huge leveling tool for the NFL.  Walsh did not have to deal with this.  Yes I understand that other teams had the same advantage but the fact is that teams had disadvantage in Walsh's time and the ability to "stack talent" did exist.  In today's era there is literally no ability to "stack talent" on a specific team.  The ability of BB to fight injuries, cap restrictions, free agency and other team limiting factors in today's game is amazing.  He consistently puts a complete team on the field.

For example, Lets take the 2013 year.  He loses LB after LB, his start DT and other pieces to his D.  Did his defense ever give up more than 35? It only gave up more than 30... once... That is just amazing.  He truly strikes fear in teams because you know that when you play the Pats you are going to face a well coached balanced football team with no true weakness and the ability to take away your best threat.  Think about how powerful of a statement that is in today's era of football.

Also the niners spent a lot more money on their team then the other powerhouses. They were the Yankees of the NFL. Their payroll was significantly more than the #2 team every year.

Indeed it is.....something he was doing for two SB winners before as well before coming to NE. There will never be a definative answer to this debate...just like the greatest qb ever debate....but I think the consensus is that he belongs among the greats...Lombardi, Shula, Walsh, Halas , Gibbs, and Belichick. I see no problem with Peytons comments and I'm sure he doesn't throw those around lightly considering his knowledge of the game and his affection for the game's history and greats. Looking at what he has achieved....it measures up to all those greats.

I really don't know what you are attempting to debate with me. I never said he wasn't an all time great....easily the best of his era. You even admitted that you have a hard time putting anyone above Lombardi and that comparing eras is silly. So what did you find wrong with my original statement?

How quickly people forget coaches like Bill Walsh. Everything present day always has to be labeled the best.

In the days of Walsh, Madden and Knoll the competitions were not nearly a close as with todays NFL. You are talking about coaches that didn't have salarie caps to deal with. Where teams that had the money could keep players for years no matter the cost. It's apples and oranges in comparison. To take the past and then compare as a judgement issue is being way too narrow minded.

The salary cap can also be your friend. When the Patriots were a dynasty did they really have much roster turnover? Kinda nice when you hit a 6th round lottery ticket in Tom Brady and don't have to pay him much.....allows a team like the pats to sign cap casualties like Rodney Harrison and Mike Vrabel which greatly improved their defense. Look at the two best teams currently in the NFL....the Seahawks and 49ers. Two teams led by under-drafted quarterbacks who get chosen by teams with already solidified rosters. Right now the salary cap is their friend compared to other teams.

And BB has been great this year I'm sure. But guess what? Contrary to what the media thinks, BB isn't the only coach dealing with injuries. The Broncos, Chargers, Packers, hell even the Colts have been racked by injuries. But guess what all those teams have? A quarterback. And in the salary cap era, that is the most important thing.....ask Tony Dungy.

In the days of Walsh, Madden and Knoll the competitions were not nearly a close as with todays NFL. You are talking about coaches that didn't have salarie caps to deal with. Where teams that had the money could keep players for years no matter the cost. It's apples and oranges in comparison. To take the past and then compare as a judgement issue is being way too narrow minded.

Yeah, Knoll only had to deal with a stacked Raiders team year after year and a Dolphins team that went undefeated. How easy that must of been. And I don't even know what your narrow minded statement means. I wasnt using the past as a judgement on current coaches. But to say single out one current coach as the greatest is mildly eye rolling.