Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton says Bill Belichick "greatest coach of all time" & PM's Funny short video on Meaning of Omaha

bayone

I really don't know what you are attempting to debate with me. I never said he wasn't an all time great....easily the best of his era. You even admitted that you have a hard time putting anyone above Lombardi and that comparing eras is silly. So what did you find wrong with my original statement?

Sorry...just saying that just because he is here and now....doesn't mean he can't still be the best of all-time...sometimes the flavor of the month...is indeed the best flavor. I didn't mean to keep going back at this...just your first post was pretty dismissive of Bellichick and I think if you look closely...he is every bit the coach that Walsh was during his era if not more impressive...he ranks right up there with Lombardi in my eyes...but its hard to dismiss what Lombardi has meant to the sport as a whole....and so looking back at a legend like that is like looking at George Washington as a president...given time..I think Belichick will go down in the same vain...it isn't really the here and now that is helping him...I think it kinda works against them because we don't realize how special an accomplishment is until we go awhile without seeing it happen again...and what Bill has done in NE....may not be duplicated for a very long time...if ever again. That was all...not really arguing..just giving the other side of things...kinda trying to see it how Peyton does.

Sorry...just saying that just because he is here and now....doesn't mean he can't still be the best of all-time...sometimes the flavor of the month...is indeed the best flavor. I didn't mean to keep going back at this...just your first post was pretty dismissive of Bellichick and I think if you look closely...he is every bit the coach that Walsh was during his era if not more impressive...he ranks right up there with Lombardi in my eyes...but its hard to dismiss what Lombardi has meant to the sport as a whole....and so looking back at a legend like that is like looking at George Washington as a president...given time..I think Belichick will go down in the same vain...it isn't really the here and now that is helping him...I think it kinda works against them because we don't realize how special an accomplishment is until we go awhile without seeing it happen again...and what Bill has done in NE....may not be duplicated for a very long time...if ever again. That was all...not really arguing..just giving the other side of things...kinda trying to see it how Peyton does.

I honestly wasn't being dismissive of him and wasn't attempting to single out Manning as his lone endorser. It's just that time of year when the "greatest ever" gets thrown around a lot.....a little too easily imo considering all the truly great coaches in NFL history. I have a difficult time saying any one quarterback is the greatest, let alone a coach.

I've heard Madden suggest that, late at night, with the lights off, those bronze heads in Canton chat away. That would be pretty awesome, lol...

I'm gonna have to go Mission Impossible and break in if I want to hear anything haha

The salary cap can also be your friend. When the Patriots were a dynasty did they really have much roster turnover? Kinda nice when you hit a 6th round lottery ticket in Tom Brady and don't have to pay him much.....allows a team like the pats to sign cap casualties like Rodney Harrison and Mike Vrabel which greatly improved their defense. Look at the two best teams currently in the NFL....the Seahawks and 49ers. Two teams led by under-drafted quarterbacks who get chosen by teams with already solidified rosters. Right now the salary cap is their friend compared to other teams.

And BB has been great this year I'm sure. But guess what? Contrary to what the media thinks, BB isn't the only coach dealing with injuries. The Broncos, Chargers, Packers, hell even the Colts have been racked by injuries. But guess what all those teams have? A quarterback. And in the salary cap era, that is the most important thing.....ask Tony Dungy.

Oh man oh man you hit the nail on the head! I've been saying for years that ever since Brady has had a contract like all of the other QB'S he has been average (in super bowl wins) just like the rest. He was very team reliant.

But now on regards to BB I understand how that is an edge hitting that "lottery" (excellent way to put it btw) but it also must be noted that a whole bunch of teams have found undrafted stars or 6th round stars (see steelers and Brown) and they do not capitalize. I believe that also shines a great light on BB because when he did have his cap space his teams were 3 and 4 people deep at every position. That is just unheard of in today's game. The best part is he continued it even with cap limitations from Brady. So I understand completely what you are saying but I would think there is a strong case for BB to be named the GOAT or at least in the convo :-)