Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Thought Chuck Was A Defensive Guru?

presto123

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh good God, the ignorance of some the posts on this forum sometimes really makes me lose confidence in mankind. I have to remind myself and really really hope that most of these posts are coming from 8-9 yr. olds since everyone regardless of age is welcome here.

With that little rant over with, you would think that after dealing with a no talent coach like Caldwell, that fans would be able to recognize that Chuck has done the best he can with the cards he's been dealt. Let me just add too that this staff has made some of the best in game adjustments I've seen out of a Colts coaching staff in yrs..

Tony Dungy was supposedly a defensive guru too but his defenses were less than average most of the time. He too could only work with the crap talent Polian gave him but for some reason fans always gave him a pass. If in 2 more yrs. our defense is terrible and Grigson has been spending money on the defensive side, then I'll say it might be time to move on from Pagano but until then, it's really ignorant and juvenile to say Pagano is a bad HC.

2 of Lucks picks weren't his fault at all. 1 of them game in garbage time and 1 other came down 14 with 10 minutes left. The offense was scoring a lot, the defense gave up TD after TD and guess what KC and NE did on 3rd down against our D? Thats right, they let them convert 20-34 3rd downs good for 58%!

The 2 that were his fault, were pretty important. That 3rd one ended any chance of a comeback

Isn't that how he was billed coming from Baltimore? He has to be embarrassed by the number of points given up by the defense in the two playoff games. I realize he's not the defensive coordinator, but to give up 90 or so points in the playoffs, shouldn't somebody be held accountable?  Will Chuck make some changes to the staff? Even though the talent level might not be all the way there yet, I thought the team would really have turned the corner on the defensive side by now. 

As it turns out, we were sold a complete lemon with Pagano and his supposed "defensive guru" abiliities.

Any loss in which you have 3 or 4 turnovers can not be solely blamed on the defense.  

But you can solely blame them for selling out for the run, yet not managing to lay a finger on a slow beatup runningback as he pranced along for an easy 73 yard TD run, making a 1 TD game a 2 TD game and pretty much sealing the W for NE.

Really, the defense lost the game? Had nothing to do with the offense turning over the ball and not being able to getba drive going when down 7 and a chance tontie late?

Yeah lets just blame the defense lol

Turnovers happen in every game.  Every team deals with it.  What, our defense is only accountable for their performance if the opponent gets the ball deep in their own territory?  Why does it matter how NE got the ball?  Our defense can't ever rise to the occasion and get a 3 & out if the opponent happens to have a short field?  What's stopping them?

When our defense was on the field, they looked like complete garbage.  Bottom line.  They gave up 43 points to an undermanned New England team.  They lost this game.

Oh good God, the ignorance of some the posts on this forum sometimes really makes me lose confidence in mankind. I have to remind myself and really really hope that most of these posts are coming from 8-9 yr. olds since everyone regardless of age is welcome here.

With that little rant over with, you would think that after dealing with a no talent coach like Caldwell, that fans would be able to recognize that Chuck has done the best he can with the cards he's been dealt. Let me just add too that this staff has made some of the best in game adjustments I've seen out of a Colts coaching staff in yrs..

Tony Dungy was supposedly a defensive guru too but his defenses were less than average most of the time. He too could only work with the crap talent Polian gave him but for some reason fans always gave him a pass. If in 2 more yrs. our defense is terrible and Grigson has been spending money on the defensive side, then I'll say it might be time to move on from Pagano but until then, it's really ignorant and juvenile to say Pagano is a bad HC.

pagano has been questionable at best

I think some of you all are expecting to much from this defensive unit:

1.We dont have that run stuffing hard hitting ILB that can disengage from blocks or hold his block consistently to allow the other ILB to make plays

2.We have serviceable DE's not world beaters

3.We dont have a long term starting sure answer at NT at this point with much stamina, Franklin is not it and we can do better then Chapman to who was alright this year but He doesn't disengage well when runs come up the middle, I want a NT that can disengage and bring down the ball carrier up the middle because a NT consistently tying up multiple blockers on every play is unrealistic, At some point they have to be able to disengage and make a play on the ball carrier up the middle......I want my NT to be of the Dontari Poe mold.....Dont have to be the athletic freak that he is but he is good at disengaging from blocks and making plays on the ball carrier along with collapsing the pocket

4.Had a rookie who is better suited as a 4-3 LE then 3-4 OLB at this point but should improve

5.We dont have a #2 Corner at this point

6.Have 2 Safeties who are not good in coverage....at the very least extremely inconsistent

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 24, 2014 - baiting
Hidden by Nadine, January 24, 2014 - baiting

Oh good god,the ignorance of THIS post makes ME lose confidence in mankind.Homer much?Chuck does not bring ANYTHING to this team!!!

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 24, 2014 - squabble
Hidden by Nadine, January 24, 2014 - squabble

Oh good god,the ignorance of THIS post makes ME lose confidence in mankind.Homer much?Chuck does not bring ANYTHING to this team!!!

Gotcha.  Pretty much all that needed to be known about you ;)

While that is not even remotely true, you bring even less than that to this forum. Go hop on the Broncos bandwagon, or since apparently you are the Paragon of Wisdom hop on your own bandwagon and post exclusively on the Johnny Colt fan forum. I'm sure all one of your members will have mind-blowing debates.

There is a reason...that you are a rookie.  Rookies can get cut for trolling in their 4 posts just as I can for 9K.....Please quit while you are VERY far behind!  

It does not sound as if you are a Colt fan at all....Chuck Pagano has first and foremost brought FAMILY to the Colts.  A lot of teams would be happy with 22-10 records the past 2 years.  I am and Colts fans strive for the next step!   :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

Turnovers happen in every game.  Every team deals with it.  What, our defense is only accountable for their performance if the opponent gets the ball deep in their own territory?  Why does it matter how NE got the ball?  Our defense can't ever rise to the occasion and get a 3 & out if the opponent happens to have a short field?  What's stopping them?

When our defense was on the field, they looked like complete garbage.  Bottom line.  They gave up 43 points to an undermanned New England team.  They lost this game.

Yes turnovers happen in nearly every game, but is it coincidence that teams that win the turnover battle almost always win the game?  The defense alone did NOT lose the Pats game and saying that they did is incredibly ignorant. It was an all around team loss.  It's already been said numerous times that the defense, while certainly not perfect, kept the Colts in the game long enough for the offense to tie or even take the lead.  The offense was not able to do so and the defense finally gave way.  Bottom line is the Pats were the better team that day.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 24, 2014 - baiting
Hidden by Nadine, January 24, 2014 - baiting

There is a reason...that you are a rookie.  Rookies can get cut for trolling in their 4 posts just as I can for 9K.....Please quit while you are VERY far behind!  

It does not sound as if you are a Colt fan at all....Chuck Pagano has first and foremost brought FAMILY to the Colts.  A lot of teams would be happy with 22-10 records the past 2 years.  I am and Colts fans strive for the next step!   :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

1st of all,wow,over 9000 post for you?Ahh actuallyI am a fan.More than most.That is why I can be real honest and not homer it all up.And Im not the only one on here who said the same thing.Are you going to go after all them?Its a message board for making your thoughts heard.I did just that.If im not worshiping Im not worthy?Thats how it works?It does not say ANYWHERE in the rules that you can only talk about the Colts if you praise them.I will say again,I don't see anything he has brought.I mean hes a HC for the nfl.He knows football better than me(and you.and all of us)so ya im not saying he is terrible.Im saying with him here Ive seen a lot of the same.Alot of the same isn't goin to win a sb.Alot of the same cant even get the Colts past the chargers or the *patriots.

I want my team to win SB'S right now.Players want to win.So do us fans.Who doesn't?So you multithousand post posters can express how you feel your way and I will my way.My way is to not sugarcoat everthing.Sorry if you or anyone else took it personal but its not my fault I don't see this coach as a family member that I have to be loyal to like some of you do.

p.s I PROMISE you,there are countless Colts fans who agree with every single word I said even though most of them wont reply cuz they are afraid of getting bashed.

Guest TeamLoloJones

1st of all,wow,over 9000 post for you?Ahh actuallyI am a fan.More than most.That is why I can be real honest and not homer it all up.And Im not the only one on here who said the same thing.Are you going to go after all them?Its a message board for making your thoughts heard.I did just that.If im not worshiping Im not worthy?Thats how it works?It does not say ANYWHERE in the rules that you can only talk about the Colts if you praise them.I will say again,I don't see anything he has brought.I mean hes a HC for the nfl.He knows football better than me(and you.and all of us)so ya im not saying he is terrible.Im saying with him here Ive seen a lot of the same.Alot of the same isn't goin to win a sb.Alot of the same cant even get the Colts past the chargers or the *patriots.

I want my team to win SB'S right now.Players want to win.So do us fans.Who doesn't?So you multithousand post posters can express how you feel your way and I will my way.My way is to not sugarcoat everthing.Sorry if you or anyone else took it personal but its not my fault I don't see this coach as a family member that I have to be loyal to like some of you do.

p.s I PROMISE you,there are countless Colts fans who agree with every single word I said even though most of them wont reply cuz they are afraid of getting bashed.

This is what people, and especially Colts fans, fail to realize.  Our roster is middle of the pack talent wise, and we were even worse last year.  But somehow we won 22 games, a division title, and a playoff game.  Pagano isn't perfect, and I'm not saying he doesn't deserve criticism...but anyone that honestly thinks we should fire Pagano needs to get a clue.  

I doubt anyone would ever agree with you 100 % & afraid of getting bashed " Oh please don't "

Do not presume you speak for anyone other than your self .  Yours is 1 opinion among many .

2 seasons 11-5  ,       As a fan who claims to be more so than most,, that has to mean something right ?  &

You do remember 2011 correct ?   

The Colts 2 years removed & heading in the right direction you don't have to be a homer to see this 18 did'nt do any better his first 2 years, as a Homer Colts fan I'm confident that some extra players on offense & defense are needed to get our Colts to the next level coachs are not the issue IMHO ..

You want a SB right now ? :spit:  Yeah & I want to see a end to this polar vortex .

1st of all,wow,over 9000 post for you?Ahh actuallyI am a fan.More than most.That is why I can be real honest and not homer it all up.And Im not the only one on here who said the same thing.Are you going to go after all them?Its a message board for making your thoughts heard.I did just that.If im not worshiping Im not worthy?Thats how it works?It does not say ANYWHERE in the rules that you can only talk about the Colts if you praise them.I will say again,I don't see anything he has brought.I mean hes a HC for the nfl.He knows football better than me(and you.and all of us)so ya im not saying he is terrible.Im saying with him here Ive seen a lot of the same.Alot of the same isn't goin to win a sb.Alot of the same cant even get the Colts past the chargers or the *patriots.

snakes-are-like-tails-with-faces-stoner-

I think some of you all are expecting to much from this defensive unit:

1.We dont have that run stuffing hard hitting ILB that can disengage from blocks or hold his block consistently to allow the other ILB to make plays

2.We have serviceable DE's not world beaters

3.We dont have a long term starting sure answer at NT at this point with much stamina, Franklin is not it and we can do better then Chapman to who was alright this year but He doesn't disengage well when runs come up the middle, I want a NT that can disengage and bring down the ball carrier up the middle because a NT consistently tying up multiple blockers on every play is unrealistic, At some point they have to be able to disengage and make a play on the ball carrier up the middle......I want my NT to be of the Dontari Poe mold.....Dont have to be the athletic freak that he is but he is good at disengaging from blocks and making plays on the ball carrier along with collapsing the pocket

4.Had a rookie who is better suited as a 4-3 LE then 3-4 OLB at this point but should improve

5.We dont have a #2 Corner at this point

6.Have 2 Safeties who are not good in coverage....at the very least extremely inconsistent

It is like people forgot that we went from a primary cover 2 defense under Dungy/Caldwell to more of a 3-4 defense under Pagano.  That takes a few years to get the right pieces in place.  As you pointed out we have a lot of holes on our defense that are key to the success of a 3-4 defense.  

We have holes at all three levels of the defense.  When you have holes at NT and ILB which are two of the most vital positions in that scheme you are going to struggle a bit.

The defense has improved from 2010 and 2011 especially in the amount of points it has given up.  Under Pagano we went from 21st his first year to 9th in his second year.  

Act like a fan.  We analyze and critique our team (Colts Fans Do)

Every phase of the game is discussed and this team is far from perfect.  We have hammered Pep for conservatism and predictable playcalling, we have hammered Manusky in the same fashion, and even our QB has gotten some hammering.

Everyone has an opinion, and that is a great part of this forum.  I do suggest you FORM one instead of just slamming members who have varying opinions.  This tam needs to improve in all phases.  Not just Pagano's job. :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:

Pagano also has to take blame for the defense losing us a playoff game.[/quote

The defense did not lose us the game. It was an all around team loss

Sorry but giving up 6 rushing tds is losing the game.  Could the offense have done more yes.  But the same rbs did nothing against denver.  So I feel the blame goes on the DEF

Sorry but giving up 6 rushing tds is losing the game.  Could the offense have done more yes.  But the same rbs did nothing against denver.  So I feel the blame goes on the DEF

lol, yeah the offense sure could have done more.  They could have not turned the ball over 4 times.  They could have scored more than 22 points.  There were only 3 times in the regular season that 22 points would have beaten the Pats.  

Let's not act like Grigson didn't go out and spend big bucks on the defense last off-season. Somebody screwed up. Either Grigson brought in marginal talent and overpaid them or Chuck isn't utilizing them correctly. Maybe a little of both. The OP's question is valid, in my opinion. Houston switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 in one off-season and became one of the better D's in the league. How? They drafted well and made smart moves in free agency. We're going into year 3 of this defensive rebuild. It shouldn't take any longer than that to build a sound defense. 3 drafts and 3 free agency periods should yield some positive results, if the front office knows what they're doing. We shall see next year, I guess

Let's not act like Grigson didn't go out and spend big bucks on the defense last off-season. Somebody screwed up. Either Grigson brought in marginal talent and overpaid them or Chuck isn't utilizing them correctly. Maybe a little of both. The OP's question is valid, in my opinion. Houston switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 in one off-season and became one of the better D's in the league. How? They drafted well and made smart moves in free agency. We're going into year 3 of this defensive rebuild. It shouldn't take any longer than that to build a sound defense. 3 drafts and 3 free agency periods should yield some positive results, if the front office knows what they're doing. We shall see next year, I guess

Really its only yr. 2. The 1st offseason they had zero money to work with and had to let many players go. All in all, this is really only the 2nd offseason of the rebuild. IMO, they deserve this offseason and next to get the job done. If they don't then we should move on.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Let's not act like Grigson didn't inherit one of the worst rosters in the NFL, and is way ahead schedule on a complete rebuild.  

Guest TeamLoloJones

Really its only yr. 2. The 1st offseason they had zero money to work with and had to let many players go. All in all, this is really only the 2nd offseason of the rebuild. IMO, they deserve this offseason and next to get the job done. If they don't then we should move on.

I'm sick of all you Colts "fans"...lets get a new coach and GM if they don't improve our team.  Good god, it's almost like we didn't win 5 games the last two years, let alone make the playoffs twice, win the division, and win a playoff game.  You people are really ungrateful.

Let's not act like Grigson didn't inherit one of the worst rosters in the NFL, and is way ahead schedule on a complete rebuild.

I think he created a lot of unnecessary holes by cutting players just because they were Polian guys. We didn't need to draft Fleener last year. We did so because we released Clark and Tamme. Clark was understandable but Tamme was a serviceable receiving TE who would basically be doing the same thing Fleener did this year. Fleener isn't a complete TE anymore than Tamme was. A needless roster move, in my opinion.

I understand cutting all the Tampa-2 guys from the roster, as they were basically dinosaurs and useless in today's big and fast league. Going all offense in the first draft, when we already had weapons available from the previous regime we could've kept, even if for only being a stop gap for a year or two, was a lateral move that basically set the whole defensive rebuild back an entire year. This roster was not completely devoid of talent. There were players here (Hughes, anyone?) who could've produced but were victims to the politics of the league

I'm sick of all you Colts "fans"...lets get a new coach and GM if they don't improve our team. Good god, it's almost like we didn't win 5 games the last two years, let alone make the playoffs twice, win the division, and win a playoff game. You people are really ungrateful.

What??? I'm the one saying we should give them 2 more yrs. before we even think about firing coaches or the GM. If they don't have us where we need to be at the end of the 2015 season, then yes, we should think about moving on. Nothing ungrateful about that thought.

I reply, and I disagree with you broseph 

Guest TeamLoloJones

I think he created a lot of unnecessary holes by cutting players just because they were Polian guys. We didn't need to draft Fleener last year. We did so because we released Clark and Tamme. Clark was understandable but Tamme was a serviceable receiving TE who would basically be doing the same thing Fleener did this year. Fleener isn't a complete TE anymore than Tamme was. A needless roster move, in my opinion.

I understand cutting all the Tampa-2 guys from the roster, as they were basically dinosaurs and useless in today's big and fast league. Going all offense in the first draft, when we already had weapons available from the previous regime we could've kept, even if for only being a stop gap for a year or two, was a lateral move that basically set the whole defensive rebuild back an entire year. This roster was not completely devoid of talent. There were players here (Hughes, anyone?) who could've produced but were victims to the politics of the league

I completely disagree with everything you said.  Grigson didn't cut people because they were Polian guys, otherwise Reggie, Mathis, McAfee, Bethea, Angerer, Powers, Brown, Castonzo, etc...would have been gone too.  Clark was regressing significantly and was not worth his salary.  Fleener is a far superior talent to Tamme, and there is no way on God's green earth you would be able to convince me otherwise.  Allen and Hilton may end up being the best picks in the draft BY ANY TEAM, so pushing back the defense for those players was worth it.  Hughes was traded because Grigson is in love with Werner, and he became expendable after the draft.  No politics involved.

Guest TeamLoloJones

What??? I'm the one saying we should give them 2 more yrs. before we even think about firing coaches or the GM. If they don't have us where we need to be at the end of the 2015 season, then yes, we should think about moving on. Nothing ungrateful about that thought.

My point is when we miss the playoffs, then people can complain.  Until then, everyone here needs to show a little more love and a little less idiocy.

My point is when we miss the playoffs, then people can complain. Until then, everyone here needs to show a little more love and a little less idiocy.

Then why are you singling out my post. I have defended Pagano and Grigson to every * that says they should be fired. Im not saying they even need to win a SB in the next 2 yrs., all im saying is that the correct personnel should all be in place in 2 more yrs. and if it isn't then it may be time to start looking in a new direction. I have never once advocated the firing of anybody from our current staff and have been one of their biggest defenders.

My point is when we miss the playoffs, then people can complain.  Until then, everyone here needs to show a little more love and a little less idiocy.

this is a horrible post

making the playoffs is not the goal anymore.  expecting more from the team is fine.  just be correct about the complaints

Guest TeamLoloJones

Then why are you singling out my post. I have defended Pagano and Grigson to every * that says they should be fired. Im not saying they even need to win a SB in the next 2 yrs., all im saying is that the correct personnel should all be in place in 2 more yrs. and if it isn't then it may be time to start looking in a new direction. I have never once advocated the firing of anybody from our current staff anf have been one of their biggest defenders.

I apologize.  I've been reading a lot of the fire Pagano and Grigson posts, seeing yours finally made me boil over.  

I completely disagree with everything you said. Grigson didn't cut people because they were Polian guys, otherwise Reggie, Mathis, McAffee, Bethea, Angerer, Powers, Brown, Castonzo, etc...would have been gone too. Clark was regressing significantly and was not worth his salary. Fleener is a far superior talent to Tamme, and there is no way on God's green earth you would be able to convince me otherwise. Allen and Hilton may end up being the best picks in the draft BY ANY TEAM, so pushing back the defense for those players was worth it. Hughes was traded because Grigson is in love with Werner, and he became expendable after the draft. No politics involved.

Cornerstone players are not going to get cut in a regime overhaul. That argument is silly. The mid tier players are the main casualties to such an overhaul. And I'm not arguing Tamme is better. Stop twisting my words. What I said was he was a more than capable receiving threat for a year or 2 until we drafted another TE. Do I think Tamme is on par with Fleener? No. But do i think Fleener is some transcendent talent at TE that we couldn't have passed on? Not at all. If we had to go offense, I would've much rather have chosen Cordy Glenn, and I think our offense as a whole would be in much better shape, had we done so. And I am on record as saying that before and after the draft. So no hindsight involved in me saying so.

And if Grigson felt our next best pass rusher was expendable after acquiring Werner, he was in fact proven dead wrong this season, as we lacked a 2nd consistent pass rusher to compliment Mathis this year. Maybe Werner will develop into that in time, but Hughes was not expendable this year, and we shot ourselves in the foot by cutting ties too soon. Especially for a marginal talent like Sheppard, at that