Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interesting Peyton Manning postseason legacy opinion last night

Mitch Connors

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When did Peyton take his team to five SBs like Elway and Brady?

Manning did take the 09 Colts to the SB, and that team was pretty close to a "garbage team".

The first 3 SBs Brady went to were more like his great team lifted him to the stage. The 4th was a great work from all of them. The 5th time he had a garbage team.

So what if he goes on to beat Rivers, Tom/Luck, then what if the Super Bowl is against Brees and he wins!

There would / will   still be critics.   :sigh:

I read somewhere the other day this exact quote  "No matter what you do or accomplish, there will always be someone to criticize"      made me think of Peyton and all he's done,  yet............  critics still surface.

I read somewhere the other day this exact quote  "No matter what you do or accomplish, there will always be someone to criticize"      made me think of Peyton and all he's done,  yet............  critics still surface.

But for a great player like Peyton one SB ring and 8 1-and-done is really somewhat underachieving.

Guest TeamLoloJones

That's what comes with being an NFL QB.  All the love, all the hate.

You do realize Elway took absolute garbage Denver teams to three SBs in the 80's? And then won two SBs in his late 30's ten years later from his first appearance? And if Elway had the same passing rules as Manning he would have throw 55TDs or more as well ...

i know im a colts fan but the team that lost vs the saints was nothing spectacular...it was actually mediocre.

No, he's not.

I am going on record as saying if you are a Bronco fan....Elway is the GOAT

If you are a Colt fan it is Unitas/Manning depending on how old you are :)

If you ar a Dolphin fan it is Marino

SF......Montana

So subjective....and fan loyalty falls there...simple as that....done....OOOPS!

NE:  Brady  :brady:  :ref:  :ref:  :flag:  :flag:  :manning:   Needed an official to stay between the fandom.....:)

I am going on record as saying if you are a Bronco fan....Elway is the GOAT

If you are a Colt fan it is Unitas/Manning depending on how old you are :)

If you ar a Dolphin fan it is Marino

SF......Montana

So subjective....and fan loyalty falls there...simple as that....done....OOOPS!

NE:  Brady  :brady:  :ref:  :ref:  :flag:  :flag:  :manning:   Needed an official to stay between the fandom..... :)

This board needs a better Manning emoticon. He looks like Eli. ;)

Montana was the best QB ever at taking 3 steps and throwing the ball to a spot on the field. Probably the most overrated player in league history.

this is where you an I agree . . . I am not a big fan of Montana and do think he gets a lot of mileage out of a throw and a few key drives . . . was he great, certainly, but if one feels that a safety is the QB of the defense, he played with among the best at three key positions (WR - Rice), (coach - Walsh) and (Safety - Lott) outside of the QB position, so he had help at key positions that other QB may not have . . . and too i think he gets a lot of mileage out of the present day media, who were either cutting their teeth in the field when he came in or cutting their teeth for real and have a star gaze feeling about Montana that has not left them . . .

yes he was great, but he is not as high on my list as others lists

wins and losses are a team accomplishments. Peyton will go down as one of the best ever no matter what happens from here on out. So yes, ridiculous

in a way they are and in a way they are not . . . if the pats and colts and broncos were 10-6 or lower over the last 12 years, neither Peyton or Brady have an MVP, or perhaps rings, and your second statement would have a lot less punch to it . . . just saying . . . wins help out the QB win awards and rings, and are attributed to them as well by many . . .

So what if he goes on to beat Rivers, Tom/Luck, then what if the Super Bowl is against Brees and he wins!

yes . . . it will be a 3 for 3 . . . Peyton has a chance this year to beat QBs that were on a team that beat his team . . .outside of beating the pats already in 2006 . .  .

I heard a contributor (didn’t catch his name) on Fox Sports Radio last night say this post season will almost certainly define Peyton Manning’s entire postseason career and determine the Greatest of All Time Argument for him. Here’s why he thinks this;

– Peyton can never seem to beat the Chargers in the playoffs

– Peyton has never beat Pats/Brady in New England

- coming off the greatest season a QB has ever had

Assume Broncos lose to Chargers

Manning has another one and done in the postseason and yet another loss to the Chargers

Assume Broncos/Pats win this weekend

Brady then comes to Denver and wins. The conversation is over for GOAT between these two.

Assume Broncos/Colts Win this weekend

Luck is the guy who Indy cut Peyton for that just beat Brady in New England and Peyton lost to   him in Indy earlier this year. If Peyton loses to Luck it will be confirmed that Luck was the better choice than Peyton at least when it comes to winning when it matters most (very debatable point here)

I want the Colts to win first and foremost but after hearing this Im really nervous for Peyton. If we don’t win the SB I really, really hope the Broncos do now.

it is funny I was thinking along the same lines as the writer . . . and as I have mentioned in the past Peyton has a few more years, this year and the next few, to help add to his mantle of success . . . although one season should not make a definitive decision, as the opposite might happen the following year, what does happen in the playoffs will add or subtract for the legacies of all of QB in this playoffs, Rivers & Luck get their first, Brees/Manning gets # 2, Brady gets #4 . . . and so on . . .

so it will be a fun few weeks and no we are not going to avoid the media opining on these things, given that this years results have impact on so many QBs . .

I dunno, Manning has already built quite a legacy for himself.  I know that myself and other Pats fans like to pick on him a bit for some of his post season losses, but in reality hes one of the greatest to ever strap on a helmet.  Winning playoff games and super bowls is extremely hard to do, everything has to go right for you and the ball has to bounce your way sometimes too.  Manning certainly can't use the excuse of having no weapons on offense, hes totally stacked on that side of the ball (hence the 55 tds this year) but their defense is suspect, so if they can't build a big lead and force teams to be 1 dimensional trying to keep up with them, they'll be in trouble..  Especially against teams that can control time of possession with the run game.

The mere fact that these QBs are in the post season competing for the title every single year is what really cements their legacy.  I still don't like Manning very much, but ive been having some warm tingly sensations in the feels area of my torso lately and I suppose I will doff my cap to him.

Playoff football baby! It doesn't get any better than this!

To me, that's the key right there.

I suppose you could say this could be a very revealing postseason from start to finish........

I suppose yes you could say that.

Besides, after the WC round how much can we always use defense as an excuse too? We saw Andrew Luck in his second year well make some big mistakes in the first half but down 38-10 help lead the second largest comeback in playoff history. 45 points.......not that he did it alone but he was a big part of it all. Last years performance vs. the Ravens as a rookie on the road didn't cut it, he would be the first to tell you this. He did the best he could I felt with a veteran Ravens D all over him but it was not good enough. I am more willing to sometimes give passes to road playoff losses though over home ones.

One of my biggest issues with some of Peyton's playoff losses and especially some that have been at home is the lack of points put up by very good offenses he leads. He doesn't play fearlessly enough at times in big games with intangibles that can scare you. It's like he prepares so hard and think so hard that sometimes I feel if the script goes the wrong way he can lose it a bit. I dunno......it's odd. It's like a lot with him is so mental that it can be hard to overcome some things despite how great he is as a QB and always has been. Don't get me wrong, Peyton has always been amazing......but there is something he has yet to show me at times outside of a few playoff games a long time ago and that second half vs. NE in the AFCCG when I felt he really kinda let loose more. So much can be so cautious with him......

I guess we'll see.

I suppose you could say this could be a very revealing postseason from start to finish........

I suppose yes you could say that.

Besides, after the WC round how much can we always use defense as an excuse too? We saw Andrew Luck in his second year well make some big mistakes in the first half but down 38-10 help lead the second largest comeback in playoff history. 45 points.......not that he did it alone but he was a big part of it all. Last years performance vs. the Ravens as a rookie on the road didn't cut it, he would be the first to tell you this. He did the best he could I felt with a veteran Ravens D all over him but it was not good enough. I am more willing to sometimes give passes to road playoff losses though over home ones.

One of my biggest issues with some of Peyton's playoff losses and especially some that have been at home is the lack of points put up by very good offenses he leads. He doesn't play fearlessly enough at times in big games with intangibles that can scare you. It's like he prepares so hard and think so hard that sometimes I feel if the script goes the wrong way he can lose it a bit. I dunno......it's odd. It's like a lot with him is so mental that it can be hard to overcome some things despite how great he is as a QB and always has been. Don't get me wrong, Peyton has always been amazing......but there is something he has yet to show me at times outside of a few playoff games a long time ago and that second half vs. NE in the AFCCG when I felt he really kinda let loose more. So much can be so cautious with him......

I guess we'll see.

Andrew doesn't lead a comeback if the defense didn't hold KC to 6 points in the second half.

So lackluster D is a good reason why teams lose.

Andrew doesn't lead a comeback if the defense didn't hold KC to 6 points in the second half.

So lackluster D is a good reason why teams lose.

Alex Smith had a wide open RB for a TD in the second, but he over threw him. It's not like the D was dominating the second half.

I don't think another SB win puts him as the GOAT either as his playoff record would be 12-11 with 2 rings and a SB loss. Probably puts him closer to Elway but behind Montana and Brady still.

If Peyton won the next three Super Bowls you'd still think he wasn't above Brady and Montana.

Alex Smith had a wide open RB for a TD in the second, but he over threw him. It's not like the D was dominating the second half.

Yea I know, but the D is very much a reason for the comeback just like the offense.

The point being was if the defense didn't hold in the second no comeback. So a lackluster D can be the reason for a loss.

Yea I know, but the D is very much a reason for the comeback just like the offense.

The point being was if the defense didn't hold in the second no comeback. So a lackluster D can be the reason for a loss.

Oh I know. KC was the consummate team performance. Luck is getting so much praise, IMO, because outside of the two INTs he was flawless in the second half.

I remember we had that thread on him on why is never in the convo for GOAT. Lots of good discussion. Not sure anyone came to a good conclusion as to why he should be or not.

no, its all about championships. Brady is behind bradshaw. He is also behind otto gragham and bart starr

Gramz > am     haha   Sorry couldn't resist.    

just trying to lighten the mood....    

Enjoy the playoffs everyone...  Rain everywhere it appears.

Good one Gramz. You know Jvan and I are joking. Got to have some fun on game day.

Here's the question...since Gramz >am..is Gramz >pm???

*ducks incoming pots, pans, and rolling pins*

Sorry Gramz...the Equal Opportunity Hater in me strikes again.. :D

GO COLTS!

Here's the question...since Gramz >am..is Gramz >pm???

*ducks incoming pots, pans, and rolling pins*

Sorry Gramz...the Equal Opportunity Hater in me strikes again.. :D

GO COLTS!

:lol:   haha   thanks for playing along...  PM>Gramz   by a country mile   ;)