Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

the key is stopping shane vareen...

MaoBerry

He is the best third down/dual threat back in the league per Sterling Sharpe and I have to agree.  Dynamic not only in the screen game but down field running routes as a receiver, runs better routes then some good receivers do and is also a heck of a runner out of the backfield.  He is definitely a matchup nightmare for a linebacker, even some defensive backs.

He is the best third down/dual threat back in the league per Sterling Sharpe and I have to agree. Dynamic not only in the screen game but down field running routes as a receiver, runs better routes then some good receivers do and is also a heck of a runner out of the backfield. He is definitely a matchup nightmare for a linebacker, even some defensive backs.

i agree...completely. whom is resposible for covering this guy? I would spy him with c.v. playing almost like a line backer on third down.

are you familiar with vareen at all? He‘s the most explosive player the pats currently have, not including gronk. The biggest threat is him.

He is very explosive but I think they have explosive players all over that offense.  Remember, the game plan New England had against the Bills was to run the ball because of the rain, and kept running the ball because its so effective.  But the week before against Baltimore, in that first half Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola were making plays left and right.  Amendola nearly scored on a long reception before being chased from behind by LaDarius Webb.  They have many explosive weapons that nobody talks about.  Thompkins, when that kid is on he is really good.  Brandon Bolden out of the backfield is nothing to play with and Stevan Ridley and LeGarrette Blount are both very explosive as well.  Have to keep the offense off of the field

The key man to stop to me Julian Edelman. He's got great hands, speed, & he's so darn easy to lose track off. Plus, he's a stud on punt returns for NE. Field position means everything in this game. 

On defense, Chandler Jones has a relentless motor & LB Dont'a Hightower is no slouch either. 

RB wise NE's LeGarrette Blount with his size can deliver some hard blows & finish runs. I wouldn't want to try & bring that thick man down myself. 

This is game must be patient & methodical with no head butts or stupid penalties on INDY's part. NE is just too good at capitalizing on mistakes & converting them into TDs as a result of dumb caboose opponent mental lapses. 

Griff Whalen must step up in this game for INDY & Trent Richardson & Donald Brown must have a good ground game too. 

I wish I knew what kind of shape new WR Deion Branch was in...No, I am not inferring that he is fat or slow. I just want to ensure that Luck has a reliable deep threat once BB double teams TY Hilton. I like Fleener but he hasn't got tremendous break away speed downfield to me.

I also wanna see a few early 1st half 1st down flea flickers/play action passes in Pep Hamilton's offense because we need to generate points quickly & actually start with a 14 point lead for once. If INDY is down 21-6 at halftime, SW1 will not be a happy camper. If we do get a sizable lead early, no letting off the gas with a prevent defensive scheme keep being aggressive.

That's the the 1 thing I respect about NE: When they have their opponent on the ropes, they know when to deliver the kill shot.

Plus, NE realizes that they will keep doing something over & over again until you neutralize it. They have no problem running you over because there is no such thing as an NFL mercy rule. They never call off the dogs when they have a lead. INDY needs to adopt the same mindset.  

Attack! Attack! Attack! INDY 

Pressuring Brady is how you beat the Patriots.... there are many examples proving this to be the case.

Brady's O-Line is not what is was due to injuries, we have a massive oppotunity here to disrupt him.

true but if the Patriots can run, they will more than pass. Stop the run and hope the DBs act like glue..

true but if the Patriots can run, they will more than pass. Stop the run and hope the DBs act like glue..

Isn't that the same as saying Stop the pass and hope the front four act like glue?

I think we're all saying that the Pats are a very balanced team.  If we concentrate on stopping the run, some will say Brady will carve us up.  If we concentrate on putting pressure on Brady, he'll hand the ball off or run a lot of screens.

I don't think anyone here is wrong.  I think it's more a matter of everyone on defense executing.  Mistakes are amplified when you play a team like the Pats.

Isn't that the same as saying Stop the pass and hope the front four act like glue?

I think we're all saying that the Pats are a very balanced team.  If we concentrate on stopping the run, some will say Brady will carve us up.  If we concentrate on putting pressure on Brady, he'll hand the ball off or run a lot of screens.

I don't think anyone here is wrong.  I think it's more a matter of everyone on defense executing.  Mistakes are amplified when you play a team like the Pats.

I dunno if it it that simple, because there is often some trade off between the two. If you stay in your gaps and try to contain the run, you lose an element of your pass rusher... but if you constantly biltz the passer, you may be susceptible to big run plays.

To me, the key is to get consistent pressure on Brady, because I think they will run on us regardless.

He is very explosive but I think they have explosive players all over that offense.  Remember, the game plan New England had against the Bills was to run the ball because of the rain, and kept running the ball because its so effective.  But the week before against Baltimore, in that first half Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola were making plays left and right.  Amendola nearly scored on a long reception before being chased from behind by LaDarius Webb.  They have many explosive weapons that nobody talks about.  Thompkins, when that kid is on he is really good.  Brandon Bolden out of the backfield is nothing to play with and Stevan Ridley and LeGarrette Blount are both very explosive as well.  Have to keep the offense off of the field

I think you're overrating new englands offense. Amendola hasn't been explosive since week one. Thompkins is not "really good". Not yet anyways. Edelman has been good but I think him and vereen are the patriots only real reliable threats right now not including their running backs.

I dunno if it it that simple, because there is often some trade off between the two. If you stay in your gaps and try to contain the run, you lose an element of your pass rusher... but if you constantly biltz the passer, you may be susceptible to big run plays.

To me, the key is to get consistent pressure on Brady, because I think they will run on us regardless.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say, there's no easy answer.

Our defense obviously starts out to stop the run which forces them into longer passing situations.  (Not that simple, true).  Then if we get behind we have to sell out and play riskier.

Putting pressure on the QB is a good strategy no matter who you're playing.  How and when is the question.

Yes agree, but I will use the same game plan when the Colts beat Denver earlier in the year.

Front 7 stop the run and play man coverage against a very average WR core the Patriots have this year.

Yes agree, but I will use the same game plan when the Colts beat Denver earlier in the year.

Front 7 stop the run and play man coverage against a very average WR core the Patriots have this year.

Oh stop it, you're giving their WR core too much credit

Danny "Made of Glass" Amendola

Aaron Dropson

Julian Edelman the best WR they have so put Vontae Davis on him and we can end all of this with a stacked box

I think you're overrating new englands offense. Amendola hasn't been explosive since week one. Thompkins is not "really good". Not yet anyways. Edelman has been good but I think him and vereen are the patriots only real reliable threats right now not including their running backs.

Its not about what you have been, its about capability.  A healthy Danny Amendola at full strength IS capable of being very explosive.  We've seen it in St. Louis and we've seen it during Patriot's preseason games.  Health has slowed him down.  Thompkins on the other hand has been hurt but is a threat.  He has had at least 3 100 yard 2 touchdown games during a time where he and Edelman were the team's only offense.  The kid got hurt a few weeks ago and hasn't really bounced back since, but you NEVER underestimate one's ability to heal and play well in the post season, especially with a bye and time to rest.  Teams not respecting capability as opposed to production have been burned in the past.   Cannot afford any suprises in the post season. 

Oh stop it, you're giving their WR core too much credit

Danny "Made of Glass" Amendola

Aaron Dropson

Julian Edelman the best WR they have so put Vontae Davis on him and we can end all of this with a stacked box

Its a good thing you don't play football.  Underestimating receivers that are capable of hurting you is not smart.  Danny "Made of Glass" Amendola has not been hurt in a few weeks, after taking some HUGE hits in the Baltimore game.  He actually laughed, got up and did the "first down" gesture with his arm.  Be careful... you don't see the Patriots underestimating anybody for Indy's receiving corps.  And Aaron Dropson has improved tremendously as the season has progressed, just unable to stay on the field with that foot injury.  Has made some key catches down the stretch.  I like his freakish athleticism as well, big body can be a redzone target.

He hasn't fumbled in quiet some time so you cannot count on that, have to respect his capability. One would be an * to say he is not explosive and cannot hurt you on the ground, what if he doesn't fumble :/

You're a patriots fan aren't you?

Ridley will fumble, count on it. Ridley is the 3rd best RB on the roster behind Vereen & Blount. I'm predicting 2 fumbles and a benching from Ridley on Saturday

Ridley will fumble, count on it. Ridley is the 3rd best RB on the roster behind Vereen & Blount. I'm predicting 2 fumbles and a benching from Ridley on Saturday

He is not the 3rd best, don't be a foul.  You don't even follow the Patriots like that anyways.  He has been benched the previous few weeks because of fumbles but that does NOT knock his talent.  He can hurt you, but then again don't take it from me, take it from the game Saturday Night.

He is not the 3rd best, don't be a foul. You don't even follow the Patriots like that anyways. He has been benched the previous few weeks because of fumbles but that does NOT knock his talent. He can hurt you, but then again don't take it from me, take it from the game Saturday Night.

Actually fumbles do knock a RB's talent

What good is your talent if you can't do rule #1 of all skill players on offense? Take care of the ball. Talent means nothing if you can't hold onto the ball

Just like Gronk, talented TE. But what good is his talent when he's always hurt?

The Pats have had so many different guys step up this year to win games - Amendola vs the Bills, Endleman vs Denver, Blount last week vs Bills. I think what makes them maybe more difficult to play this season then recent years is their versatility. This is probably their best set of RBs in the Brady era other then when they had Dillon and Faulk. They also have a nice combo of possession receivers in Endelman and Amendola who can also go deep and young talent on the outside in Thompkins and Dobson. The only real position that is not a threat anymore is TE as AH and Gronk are gone.

Given the rainy, cold conditions I expect more runs like the Bills game but it depends what is working. If the middle is open then I expect Brady to attack with Endleman and Amendola like he did vs the Fins.

How do you feel about Richardson's ability to hang on to the ball? Or Luck's ability to not throw picks? Neither were very good just last week.