Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Freeney And Mathis Non-Existent The Last Two Games

number28

If you do not have a strong inside presence, people are going to run on you. No teams has been run on as much as the Colts. Teams have no fear of our def. tackles. They double and chip on the ends. we are not very good at playing M-M and it is magnified when we do not get a good passrush because you can't stay with recievers every play and succedd. Need pressure, which we do not get. Our linebackers have been taught to drop into coverage because that is what you play with Peyton Manning, the idea is don't give up the long play. Are you saying because of the loss of Nevis and Foster we struggle with Mathis and Freeny, your right, but we have also not made any adjustment to take care of the propblem, Blitzes. moving and dropping other guys into coverare. blizing with DBs , do something differnt. I think lack of adjustments by our coordinators is more of a key.

Lack of adjustments is a huge issue, and has been for quite some time. Team X plays the Colts, and through 30 mins of play, they are able to ANTICIPATE what the Colts do on defensie. They go in at halftime, and say "Plan Y will work better against what they are doing on defense, so lets give it a shot." After half, Team X's offensie executes the adjustments and demolishes the Colts defense. The coordinators don't all need fired, so let's lay off the sarcastic fire sale ideas. They need someone (head coach, maybe?) to motivate them to do something different when they are constantly being torched.

Granted, this opinion is merely a theory, and being an ignorant fan, I am lacking in the "ideas for execution" department...

2 reaons

1. CB are not trusted to play physical say they have a 5-7 yard cushion, which QB take advantage of and get rid of the ball in a little under 3 seconds. More than enough tiime to avoid our DE fastest rush.

2. DE are bieng heavily rotated for some odd reason, so in all Freeney and Mathis are seeing about 10% less downs than less year, taking into consideration the O has the ball more this year.

Agreed... they need to step it up so that we could at least have a chance at winning... look at the Browns and Steelers game, especially the Steelers game. I personally don't expect much from them because they're going against two very good tackles, that have been solid this year. MIchael Ross at LT and David Stewart at RT... very solid. I said that Freeney would do anything against Thomas the best LT in the league, but I was wrong, so hopefully I'll be wrong here too.

When you have pushover DT's in the middle the O-line can double the ends.

Which is why you send a blitz when you can't generate pressure with four guys. But defensively our team is still stuck in 2002 and thinks the Cover-2 is still an effective scheme and absolutely refuses to send an extra man, which is part of the reason why we are winless. Completely ignore the best defensive teams in the league the last few seasons have been the Steelers, Ravens, Jets, Chargers, Packers and Saints. All blitz heavy aggressive teams.

Caldwell and all his little Tampa-2 Dungy disciples can get kicked swiftly out the door by Jim Irsay at the end of the season. For the good of the franchise.

close. She was a huge Bowie fan. Its Cherie Currie of the Runaways (who broke up in 75)

First all girl group hard rock wrote and played their own intruments. Joan Jett,Lita Ford.

There's a movie that came out in 2010 called the Runaways with Dakota Fanning and Kristen Stewart.

They were a great teenage girl group. Some being under 16 they got labeled jail bait rock:)

You're so old.

Not that I'm a huge supporter of this whole movement, but I am curious as to why CC seems to have escaped the wrath.

I don't think CC is the problem. I've questioned his playcalling from time to time, but the offense has been getting better and better, until the Saints game. Even the Bengals game, we were moving the sticks, and save for a couple fumbles and Painter's desperation interception, we could have approached 30 points. This with a quarterback that most people didn't deserve to be on anybody's gameday roster. Rough patches, sure, especially the first three weeks, but getting Collins off the field and letting Painter get his sea legs really helped the offense. I think he could be more stubborn with the run game, and a little more creative with his screen passes. He's certainly not above reproach. But he's done some good work this year with our severely downgraded offense. Same for Metzelaars, as I think the offensive line has been much better than last year, even with all the injuries.

In addition don't forget that the QBs the past two games were both very mobile and efficient. Someone on this site commented between the games to the effect that "the Colts made Dalton look like Drew Brees, and now here comes the real thing". That was spot on, and now there goes the real thing. Brees just dissected the Colts defense. The Bengals were running a west coast offense, and the Saints - for all their deep threats - thrive on the short pass as well. They are avoiding sacks the same way that the Colts are avoiding sacks - getting the ball out virtually immediately. Just much more effectively.

Also don't forget that a high percentage of the Colts sacks come on third and long. The NO game was a blow-out long before the Saints faced third and anything. There wasn't a single point in that entire game where they "had" to pass. By half-time they didn't actually "have" to run either.

Not that I'm a huge supporter of this whole movement, but I am curious as to why CC seems to have escaped the wrath.

I think they've done a pretty good job with painter.

Obviously, he isn't producing like what we're used to, but for what he is (a 6th round pick with no experiance) he's done what he needed to do. He's a backup QB. His job is to not lose games and try to put us in a position to win.

Which he has (more or less) done with the blowouts as the few exceptions.

I won't cry if Christianson gets a pink slip at years end, but I'm not calling for his head.

the ends depend on the tackles to draw a double team...

If they dont...its easy to double-team the ends..right?

Don't bother. I tried in earnest to explain it to him, but he's almost 17, so naturally, I'm wrong. It doesn't work like that. Success at the DE position is all about what a DE does. Not what an O-line is able to do to stop them.

they were blocked well. plus the saints where just playing pitch and catch, much like the did in the second half of the super bowl. and people need to stop acting like freeney is doubled every play...he gets plenty of one on one action..or so it seems..i could be wrong.

plus they have always been non existent in the running game...so that is par for the course.

the ends depend on the tackles to draw a double team...

If they dont...its easy to double-team the ends..right?

DTs can't get a solid, consistent push when one of them is stunting every other play.

In the past, despite having mediocre DT's, they still commanded double teams at least 50% or more of the time which opened up the ends. Our DT's this year are getting doubled MAYBE 10% of the time. Prolly closer to 5%, honestly.

No way is your 10% suggestion even close to accurate. AJ is double teamed constantly and more often than not he stands his ground and does his job. He's not flashy, he's not an elite NT but he is a solid NT who has been doing his job most of the time. The other DT, whoever it is at the time, has been stunting much more often than in the first few games.

Like smitto said, short quick passes are taking Freeney/Mathis out of plays far more often than not...that and the other team's tendency to check to run when Freeney/Mathis are in the game.