Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Freeney And Mathis Non-Existent The Last Two Games

number28

I thought people loved Nevis and Johnson. Now you are saying they are pushovers?

Nevis has been hurt and I do not think anybody really thinks AJ is much more then a solid DT.

Also I think teams are just saying screw it we will run when they are in and when you rotate them out we will pass. We all ready know Mathis and Freeney are pretty lackluster against the run. We rarely get pass rush from anyone but them so when they go out teams just pass.

Still doesnt answer anything. These DE's were great in the first 5 games. Why the last 2 games all of a sudden they fell asleep?

That blaming on DT's thing doesn't work. The first 5 games Freeney and Mathis were fine.

Correlation certainly isn't causation, but Nevis played the first 4. An inside pass rush opens up the outside. So did Foster. Teams don't like to pass when they are in, which, if I recall, is roughly 50% of the time. When you get open as easy as teams do, it doesn't take a QB long to get his pass off. There are several factors, including a bit of lackluster play at times.

Edited by RexallTheEnigma

It's not because of lack of push from the DTs, it's because of lack of coverage ability by our DBs and LBs. When the QB drops back and throws less than two seconds after the snap for easy completions, it makes it physically impossible to get pressure from DEs or DTs. A defensive line of The Flash, The Incredible Hulk, The Thing, and Superman would have a hard time getting pressure with our DBs.

So because Nevis didn't play, that made Freeney and Mathis non-existent?

are you listening to what you said?

Ugh, because you obviously need it, let's play football 101.

There are 5 O-linemen. A TE is usually used on the line as well making a total of 6.

Stick with me here, I hope I haven't already confused you...

There are 4 defensive linemen. Crazy concept, I know.

When the ball is snapped the center, and either guard are tasked with a one-on-one against our DT's. It's a battle they win. By themselves.

That means that the other 4 offensive players have to block two. That's called a double team.

When we had Nevis in there, they couldn't one-on-one us in the middle because Nevis could beat it, so help had to come which opened up the end for Freeney or Mathis.

I know I lost you a long time ago, but at least someone tried to tell you...

Ugh, because you obviously need it, let's play football 101.

There are 5 O-linemen. A TE is usually used on the line as well making a total of 6.

Stick with me here, I hope I haven't already confused you...

There are 4 defensive linemen. Crazy concept, I know.

When the ball is snapped the center, and either guard are tasked with a one-on-one against our DT's. It's a battle they win. By themselves.

That means that the other 4 offensive players have to block two. That's called a double team.

When we had Nevis in there, they couldn't one-on-one us in the middle because Nevis could beat it, so help had to come which opened up the end for Freeney or Mathis.

I know I lost you a long time ago, but at least someone tried to tell you...

Yessssssir

It's not because of lack of push from the DTs, it's because of lack of coverage ability by our DBs and LBs. When the QB drops back and throws less than two seconds after the snap for easy completions, it makes it physically impossible to get pressure from DEs or DTs. A defensive line of The Flash, The Incredible Hulk, The Thing, and Superman would have a hard time getting pressure with our DBs.

That certainly helps, but even when Freeman, Dalton, and Brees took time to throw Freeney and Mathis have been stifled on the end because they were doubled from the start. Even if the TE chipped on his way out it was enough time for the tackle to get into position to make a good block.

Here is what I say.

We haven't had good DT's all these years, as a matter of fact we had horrible DT's, yet Mathis and Freeney always played great and put up good numbers.

So I will ask this again.

Why were Mathis and Freeney non-existent the last 2 games. Don't even try to say it's because we didn't have Nevis.

Should I give you some Football 101?

they didn't have problems putting pressure on QB in earlier games this year. We had horrible DB play all season long.

why last 2 games these 2 DE's just seemed lost?

Should I give you some Football 101?

Please do, it should be pretty funny...

In the past, despite having mediocre DT's, they still commanded double teams at least 50% or more of the time which opened up the ends. Our DT's this year are getting doubled MAYBE 10% of the time. Prolly closer to 5%, honestly.

It doesn't matter if we have two bulldozers on our line. As long as one guy can block them it's STILL going to help bottle Freeney and Mathis up.

It's a numbers game. 1 doesn't beat 2 unless the 2 make a mistake.

they didn't have problems putting pressure on QB in earlier games this year. We had horrible DB play all season long.

why last 2 games these 2 DE's just seemed lost?

Dear god... You can lead the horse to water...............

It's because they suck. Is that a satisfactory answer for you dn4192?

still doesn't answer my question. We had consistently bad play in all defensive aspects of the game. In early games this year Freeney and Mathis were the only good things about the D.

why the last 2 games they fell asleep?

DT's and DB's played horrible all year. It wasn't just last 2 games.

So what is your answer Mr. Football 101? you think you know it all so give us a legitimate answer for their performance the last 2 games.

still doesn't answer my question. We had consistently bad play in all defensive aspects of the game. In early games this year Freeney and Mathis were the only good things about the D.

why the last 2 games they fell asleep?

DT's and DB's played horrible all year. It wasn't just last 2 games.

So what is your answer Mr. Football 101? you think you know it all so give us a legitimate answer for their performance the last 2 games.

Dear god... You can lead the horse to water...............

It's because they suck. Is that a satisfactory answer for you dn4192?

you were reported for accusing me of being that DN dude. I am not him.

lol.

You'll need to fill out the Butthurt Report Form. (http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq151/zembonez/TMCentral/funny/OO016.jpg)

Fill it out and submit it to the Internet World Headquarters in care of the "Whining/Rage Post" department. It usually takes them 5-7 business days to get to your case.

you were reported for accusing me of being that DN dude. I am not him.

Reported? Seriously?

Serious business this internet I guess.

As to the original question, perhaps they're mailing it in like Reggie Wayne and the rest of the guys we've thrown money at the past 10 years who myseriously disappear now that Manning isn't playing.

Reported? Seriously?

Serious business this internet I guess.

As to the original question, perhaps they're mailing it in like Reggie Wayne and the rest of the guys we've thrown money at the past 10 years who myseriously disappear now that Manning isn't playing.

NO ONE should experience butthurt. It just hurts so bad...

Reggie Wayne will no doubt be sulking for the rest of the day like he does on the sidelines this year after reading your post. ^_^

yeah, thats more of an honest answer at least.

But blaming Nevis like the other dude was. I mean comon.

3 reasons

The offense can't say on the field, exhausting the defense.

When there's no push up the middle, the ends get double teamed.They are known to beat double teams but they're usually exhausted these days.

Third the defense hasn't played well together at all for the last 2 games and if receivers are wide open on short, medium routes, there's not enough time to get to the QB. The only way for them to sack the QB that quickly is if they were completely unblocked.

That's certainly not helping the situation, but to be fair, they do have some say in how much time they spend on the field. Look at other teams 3rd down conversion rate against us. It's bad. And 4th down is even worse.

3 reasons

When there's no push up the middle, the ends get double teamed.They are known to beat double teams but they're usually exhausted these days.

Third the defense hasn't played well together at all for the last 2 games and if receivers are wide open on short, medium routes, there's not enough time to get to the QB. The only way for them to sack the QB that quickly is if they were completely unblocked.

best answer, that explains it.

Can I get in some of this football 101 too:)

Maybe the line just got over powered. it does happen. Thats what it appeared they did in NO game.

Or they gave up. Maybe Jaric is Yoda afterall. I dunno...football 101 is hard enough for me.

Can I get in some of this football 101 too:)

Maybe the line just got over powered. it does happen. Thats what it appeared they did in NO game.

Or they gave up. Maybe Jaric is Yoda afterall. I dunno...football 101 is hard enough for me.

unfortunately it happens frequently around here...

^ Is that Bowie in your avatar?

close. She was a huge Bowie fan. Its Cherie Currie of the Runaways (who broke up in 75)

First all girl group hard rock wrote and played their own intruments. Joan Jett,Lita Ford.

There's a movie that came out in 2010 called the Runaways with Dakota Fanning and Kristen Stewart.

They were a great teenage girl group. Some being under 16 they got labeled jail bait rock:)