Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which of these players has a better case for MVP?

Dustin

Player 1:

59.5 completion%, 6.64 YPA, 4.13 TD%, 1.69 INT%, 86 passer rating, 370 rushing yards, 4 TDs, 5 fumbles. 10-5 record

Player 2: 

60% completion%, 6.99 YPA, 3.97 TD%, 1.66% INT, 88 passer rating, 21 rushing yards, 8 fumbles. 11-4 record. 

QB#1 has more total TDs and less turnovers than QB #2. 

QB #1 is the 10th most pressured QB in the NFL. QB #2 is the 20th most pressured.  So suffice to say, QB #2 has a much better O-line. 

QB #1 has the 12th ranked defense by PPG. QB #2 has the 10th ranked defense by PPG. 

QB #1 has had 8 different O-line combinations over the course of the season. The most in the NFL. 

QB #1 has played 6 top 10 defenses. QB #2 has played 3 top 10 defenses. 

QB #1 has a 2nd year head coach and a 1st-year NFL coordinator and QB #2 has a 3-time CoTy at HC.

QB #1 has had the most-injury riddled team in the NFL on offense. Missing his top 2 RBs, top TE, Top WR, and best interior lineman. QB #2 has had multiple games missed by his starting TE, and a few games missed between his starting receivers. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did he lose all of his offensive weapons from the previous year? And his two defensive captains early in the year and pretty much his entire Oline?

Yes. His starting WR, TE, RB, and WR2 accounted for 3,500 yards of offenses in 2012. That was 60% of the total offense.

Career body of work should have no bearing in the MVP vote.

Thats true, and I agree.

However, we're talking about Luck vs. Brady, and the only reason why it's brought up is because Brady is having a particularly off year, by Brady standards. Otherwise, it's not much of a discussion at this point in Luck's career.

I am, however, impressed that Luck, with all of the injuries to the Colts offense, is able to play well, comparing similarly to Brady and their loss on offense.

All off-season QB #2 was said to be able to make any scrub look like an all-pro. I don't think the receiving talent shouldn't matter. 

Sure it shouldn't because it ruins your the hypo to being with. Like I said neither Qb is MVP worthy but Brady has had the better season and of course the better record as usual. As all he does is win.

Using this model, and going by these standards, Andy Dalton would edge BOTH Luck and Brady for MVP. Along with Romo, Stafford, Roethlisberger, etc. 

I also generally don't find myself saying, "Wow, what a year this guy has had! Have you seen his TD percentage?"

I'm not sure what the OP's point is here... most Patriots fans I know actually like Luck, and think very highly of him. Myself included. I'd take him as my "QB of the future" over pretty much any of the young'uns out there today... he's better, IMO, than RGIII, Wilson, Kap, etc. 

Using this model, and going by these standards, Andy Dalton would edge BOTH Luck and Brady for MVP. Along with Romo, Stafford, Roethlisberger, etc. 

That's the point. Brady is getting an unreal amount of hype for the MVP even tho there are TONS of player more awarding. Yet the narrative is that he's doing more with less. This thread was to show that there is another player playing basically the same in almost the same circumstances (maybe even worse circumstances). Neither of theses two players should be anywhere close to the MVP award. Yet, everyday I see a bunch of people campaign for Brady. 

What case does Brady have over Luck? 

That's the point. Brady is getting an unreal amount of hype for the MVP even tho there are TONS of player more awarding. Yet the narrative is that he's doing more with less. This thread was to show that there is another player playing basically the same in almost the same circumstances (maybe even worse circumstances). Neither of theses two players should be anywhere close to the MVP award. Yet, everyday I see a bunch of people campaign for Brady.

If this is the point of the thread, then it's spot on!

It was a classic attempt of deflection. 

To be honest, I think Russell Wilson has been outstanding this year. Every time I watch the Seahawks play, I'm impressed with the way he quarterbacks. I really like him, and if someone suggested they'd rather have Wilson than Luck, I wouldn't even really argue with them. I'd rather have Luck, but Wilson is special.

But even then, there's this idea that he's having a much better year than Luck is, and that's not true. The Seahawks are better than the Colts, absolutely. But Wilson is only better than Luck in TDs and completion percentage. They're tied in INTs, but Luck has a lower INT percentage. Wilson has more rushing yards, but Luck has a higher yards/carry and more TDs. And of course, the Seahawks have a strong rushing attack that takes pressure off of the QB, while the Colts have struggled to run the ball all year. So even that comparison is closer than people might think.

You think Brady is getting an "unreal amount of hype" for the MVP? His name has been mentioned maybe, but  you and I both know Manning for all intents and purposes made it his to lose when he threw seven TDs in week one. If Brady gets even a single first-place vote I will be absolutely shocked. 

MVP awards are like Pro Bowl voting. Reputation, name recognition, and other intangibles factor in, whether they should or not. 

Like I said earlier, I really like Luck. If Brady seems to be getting consideration that Luck is not getting, it's probably because Brady's been doing this for 13 years, and Luck has not (yet). Plus the NE personnel turnover has gotten a lot of attention and they've had a lot of last-minute, dramatic wins. 

To be honest, I think Russell Wilson has been outstanding this year. Every time I watch the Seahawks play, I'm impressed with the way he quarterbacks. I really like him, and if someone suggested they'd rather have Wilson than Luck, I wouldn't even really argue with them. I'd rather have Luck, but Wilson is special.

But even then, there's this idea that he's having a much better year than Luck is, and that's not true. The Seahawks are better than the Colts, absolutely. But Wilson is only better than Luck in TDs and completion percentage. They're tied in INTs, but Luck has a lower INT percentage. Wilson has more rushing yards, but Luck has a higher yards/carry and more TDs. And of course, the Seahawks have a strong rushing attack that takes pressure off of the QB, while the Colts have struggled to run the ball all year. So even that comparison is closer than people might think.

I agree. At this point I would say that Wilson is the better QB (well, he does some stuff better), but I would stick with Luck if given the choice because he has the higher ceiling IMO. We know he can perform well even with a team around him that's less than spectacular. 

You think Brady is getting an "unreal amount of hype" for the MVP? His name has been mentioned maybe, but  you and I both know Manning for all intents and purposes made it his to lose when he threw seven TDs in week one. If Brady gets even a single first-place vote I will be absolutely shocked. 

MVP awards are like Pro Bowl voting. Reputation, name recognition, and other intangibles factor in, whether they should or not. 

Like I said earlier, I really like Luck. If Brady seems to be getting consideration that Luck is not getting, it's probably because Brady's been doing this for 13 years, and Luck has not (yet). Plus the NE personnel turnover has gotten a lot of attention and they've had a lot of last-minute, dramatic wins. 

Yes unreal. Check any large sport website/tv show/ blog ect.... Brady has been the "trendy pick" for weeks now.

He's obviously not going to win the MVP this year. Because luckily talking heads on ESPN don't get to vote, but I guarantee you that he will get a vote or 2 when Peyton is announced the winner. 

Yes unreal. Check any large sport website/tv show/ blog ect.... Brady has been the "trendy pick" for weeks now.

He's obviously not going to win the MVP this year. Because luckily talking heads on ESPN don't get to vote, but I guarantee you that he will get a vote or 2 when Peyton is announced the winner. 

Well I've seen the "race for MVP" articles where he's been listed (usually 3rd or 4th) all year, but wouldn't read too much into that. They HAVE to list SOMEONE there, right? Lol... otherwise it's a pretty short article:

MVP Race Heats Up?

by Joe Sportswriter

Yeah, Peyton's got this one. That's all.

Seriously though, there's some mental illness in the media where everyone's got to be a contrarian... they're all trying to look/sound smarter than the rest. Even as a long-time, dyed-in-the-wool Patriots fan, I would find it ridiculous for Brady to get the MVP award this season. In some ways it's been one of his more impressive years, but not to the point where he should get actual MVP consideration. It would be a travesty if anyone but Manning got it.

Luck's time is coming. He's steadily building the reputation that will get him in these conversations in the future, even if he's not especially deserving of it in that particular year.