Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Greg Toler Won't Return Until He's 100 Percent

Bluefire4

Something that it seems a lot of people are missing is, it's not Toler saying he has to be 100% to play, it's the doctors are not going to clear him to play until he's 100%. There is a difference.

Sorry but somehow the system butchered my reply.

Anyway the article says nothing about the doctors making this call. If you have a link, I'd like to read it.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something that it seems a lot of people are missing is, it's not Toler saying he has to be 100% to play, it's the doctors are not going to clear him to play until he's 100%.  There is a difference.

Other things in this thread that are comical are:

• People who are not doctors making decisions on when an injury is healed.
  • The people who question his toughness are probably the same people who call in sick to work when they get a cold (even though they will claim they've never missed a day of work in their life)
  • Those who talk about how they have the right to be upset because they pay his salary.

There are getting to be so many ignorant posters on this board it is almost becoming unreadable.  It's a shame, I came to this board because the Indystar forums became that way.  There used to be a bunch of great posters on this board that posted regularly.  Now they try but their well thought out, intelligent threads get buried by threads like, Maybe we should move DHB to cornerback or safety, or Pep is a lousy OC, Pagano is a lousy coach, if I were to develop a game

My feeling exactly seems all the "fans" want to bash the coaches and players these days I know things aren't going perfect and everyone has a right to there opinion but some people are just silly common sense says if a doctor says your not playing it's pretty simple .

Anyway the article says nothing about the doctors making this call. If you have a link, I'd like to read it.

Well here are some quotes from the article

"“I want to be back out there helping my teammates,” Toler said. “Some dudes can play with their bodies being off a little. I can’t. The training staff told me they want me to be 100 percent before I go back out there.”

"They want to know that if a guy gets by me, I can turn it on and catch him. I respect that. This is one of those situations where I have to be completely healed first.”

"“I’m ready and confident that I’ll be back out there with the guys,” Toler said. “They want me to be at my best."

This is all from the article linked by the OP.  I think it's pretty clear, it's the doctors making that decision, not Toler.

Well here are some quotes from the article

"“I want to be back out there helping my teammates,” Toler said. “Some dudes can play with their bodies being off a little. I can’t. The training staff told me they want me to be 100 percent before I go back out there.”

"They want to know that if a guy gets by me, I can turn it on and catch him. I respect that. This is one of those situations where I have to be completely healed first.”

"“I’m ready and confident that I’ll be back out there with the guys,” Toler said. “They want me to be at my best."

This is all from the article linked by the OP.  I think it's pretty clear, it's the doctors making that decision, not Toler.

Doctors and trainers go off of what their patients tell them. X-rays and other tests will only tell them so much, the patient has to tell doctors their pain levels and what they think they can handle physically. I know by experience and not with a groin but a slipped disk. All they could tell me is the X-rays and scans show a slipped disc. I had to provide the rest of the info so they could make judgement on treatment, whether I needed surgery or physical therapy.

Well the good news is grigson signed all the FA on a front loaded contract right meaning if we cut them next year we get out cap space back? I hope that's what he did cause walden, toler, RJF, and that RT Cher needs a paycut or we cut them and look else where for talent

Well the good news is grigson signed all the FA on a front loaded contract right meaning if we cut them next year we get out cap space back? I hope that's what he did cause walden, toler, RJF, and that RT Cher needs a paycut or we cut them and look else where for talent

Cherilus is our best O linemen walden is doin fine he's doing his job RJF has also been good

Toler has been injured too much he needs to be cut that's it

The Colts were doing a much better job of stopping the run before Toler went out.  Yeah they did give up the occasional big gain around the edge, but that was generally to Mathis' side.  Mathis had just switched from Sam LB to Rush LB and RJF was new to the defense so it took some time to work out some of the kinks and for them to get on the same page.  They've been better at that recently.  Now it seems to be plays going up the middle because the ILB's and Safeties aren't making the plays they need to make.

Yet the secondary played much better when he was playing and the defense as a whole looked a lot better.

Bottom line is ... 

Right now, this "TEAM" is not very good.

But, I truly think they can turn it around.     

So cut all the FAs, outside of Toler, who are actually working out?

I don't think I've ever seen a 7-8 week groin injury

Greg Jennings missed a bunch of time with a nagging groin injury last season. He got hurt in the opener, sat out a game, reinjured it two weeks later, then rehabbed it for a month. Then he decided to have surgery, and came back a month after that. Groin injuries can be tricky. I understand Toler's need for caution.

It's annoying to me because a) he had an injury history before we signed him, and b) we really need better corner play, which has sucked since he's been hurt. So I'm a little irritated as well, but I don't think there's any need to question his desire or call him a coward or a cheat because he's missed this much time, which is what some people are doing.

Doctors and trainers go off of what their patients tell them. X-rays and other tests will only tell them so much, the patient has to tell doctors their pain levels and what they think they can handle physically. I know by experience and not with a groin but a slipped disk. All they could tell me is the X-rays and scans show a slipped disc. I had to provide the rest of the info so they could make judgement on treatment, whether I needed surgery or physical therapy.

So at first, you didn't see where the doctors are the ones making the decision and then when it's pointed out where it's the doctor's making those decisions then you claim the doctors only make those decisions based on what the patient says.

Additionally, your comparison is not really valid.  One a torn muscle is vastly different than a slipped disc.  With a slipped disc back surgery is very risky and the risk of causing paralysis is high and they only want to do it if the pain is unbearable for the person, I've had one for about 20 years so surgery is not worth the risk.  With a groin injury, it's less of a pain issue and more of a range of motion before the pain starts.  If pain starts before the full range of motion that means the muscle fibers are not fully healed and, especially in the case of a groin but in general all muscle pulls/tears, not fully healed means there is a much greater chance of pulling or tearing those fibers again and much more easily than before.  So it's up to the doctors to determine if the muscle is fully healed or not and up to the doctors to determine if a player is cleared to play or not.

Bottom line is ... 

Right now, this "TEAM" is not very good.

But, I truly think they can turn it around.     

I agree...right now the team really is not very good but they have a ton of potential.  Get a #2 CB back on the field that the other members of the secondary and the coaches have full trust in and I think the defense immediately looks a lot better.  Fix the OL and the offense will look much better.  Then we can go from there.

Something that it seems a lot of people are missing is, it's not Toler saying he has to be 100% to play, it's the doctors are not going to clear him to play until he's 100%. There is a difference.

greg toilet paper is soft as u know what

Why would we IR a guy who is the 2nd best CB we have and who is close to being able to return? That's just asinine.

he is soft , make an example out of him , toler is obvious gonna milk this till the playoff , and do u really want a guy with 4 games to to come in an start , he gonna get abused and blame it on rust or lay off , I rather play with 10 guys on def than have a guy who only care about him self and is soft like greg toilet paper, if he is not cut the second the seasob ends I would be shocked, we know its a tuffness issue , when guys say they they would be shocked if u don't play for the last 6 weeks u are soft,

he is soft , make an example out of him , toler is obvious gonna milk this till the playoff , and do u really want a guy with 4 games to to come in an start , he gonna get abused and blame it on rust or lay off , I rather play with 10 guys on def than have a guy who only care about him self and is soft like greg toilet paper, if he is not cut the second the seasob ends I would be shocked, we know its a tuffness issue , when guys say they they would be shocked if u don't play for the last 6 weeks u are soft,

Good god, stop already. Being injury prone doesn't make one soft. Was Bo Jackson soft? Some bodies just can't hold up to the rigors of football and that seems to be the case with Toler.

This toughness stuff is so overrated.  There is a point where it becomes stupid to play hurt because you are just a determent to the team.  If Toler is unable to move effectively out there with his groin injury then it would be dumb to put him out there as he would be a liability.  Yes, it is frustrating that he has been out so long, but everyone heals differently.  

So you want to cut our best corner because Davis has been crap over the second half of the season to prove a point?  What point are you going to make?  Well if your body does not heal fast enough where you can be effective we will cut you.  This will just force players to come back way to early.  

We saw what happened with RG3 because they were trying to be "tough" and now Washington is set back for an entire season.  There is a major difference between being tough and be stupid.

This is preposterous, the lot of it.

assume much?

This toughness stuff is so overrated. There is a point where it becomes stupid to play hurt because you are just a determent to the team. If Toler is unable to move effectively out there with his groin injury then it would be dumb to put him out there as he would be a liability. Yes, it is frustrating that he has been out so long, but everyone heals differently.

So you want to cut our best corner because Davis has been crap over the second half of the season to prove a point? What point are you going to make? Well if your body does not heal fast enough where you can be effective we will cut you. This will just force players to come back way to early.

We saw what happened with RG3 because they were trying to be "tough" and now Washington is set back for an entire season. There is a major difference between being tough and be stupid.

best corner meh, being the tallest midget dont make u tall toler need to go afyer the season , point blank period

We should get rid of Reggie too because he has been out so long to!  He just keeps using this ACL injury as an excuse.  He should just toughen up and get out there.  

Horrible example. Reggie has not missed a game since 2001. Toler came in with a big contract never having played a full season

Horrible example. Reggie has not missed a game since 2001. Toler came in with a big contract never having played a full season

Of course, just as cutting Toler because the training staff is keeping him out till he is 100% ready to go is a horrible idea.

This is not a Derrick Rose situation where the team is saying oh he is ready to go and Toler is saying he is not playing. 

ame="JoKeR" post="672733" timestamp="1386881162"]

greg toilet paper is soft as u know what

I don't blame players for being injured, it's part of the game but I do question his mental toughness and commitment since hes 95% healthy. Perhaps he's protecting himself, I don't know. If he is, then he's kinda risking his job here.

All I do know is he needs to play before the playoffs, practice won't be enough. If he trys to comeback the 1st playoffs game he's going to be a non factor or a liability. The likely hood he's going to mess up his first game back are high so he needs to make that game a regular season game, maybe 2 games.

I saw that you posted that he should be put on IR, that this point it won't do us any favors.

I think he's a good player and we can certainly use his help, *if he's being over cautious, it needs to stop.

Lol working out as in all he does is workout and then sits in injured list during game time! Yeah if you consider that working out?

Trouble with your reading comprehension?

I said "Outside of Toler." Meaning all those other guys you mentioned who actually are contributing.