Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Indy a bad weather team?

oldunclemark

The weather in Cincy Sunday will be low-grade..30 degrees and rainy

The idea of being a run-first 'balanced' team is to survive the post-season in bad weather..

Are we that team?

If we insist on establishing the run...controlling the clock and pace of the game...possession passing

2 TEs, blocking back...control  using defense, strong kicking and conservative offense....that should show against the Bengals Sunday, right?   Not 'are we totally built to be that team'," but are we better built to handle this Sunday that we would have been last year?

If, as Chuck and Mr. Irsay hint, we were fatally flawed to be the pass-first team for a decade isn't this, our first real bad weather game in 2 years...late in the season on the road against a contender..

..the first test of that logic?

Your thoughts.

The only time weather plays a factor on making a team bad, is when a team is built as a speed team(Dungy teams). Weather has the ability to affect a teams speed on a slicker surface. If your team isn't built on speed, then weather don't effect one team anymore than it does the other. 

The only time weather plays a factor on making a team bad, is when a team is built as a speed team(Dungy teams). Weather has the ability to affect a teams speed on a slicker surface. If your team isn't built on speed, then weather don't effect one team anymore than it does the other. 

Im not sure what you mean by that.

Are you saying that it slows down the other team if the players are fast? What if your players are slow? Doesn't that make them slower?

Are you saying that it slows down the other team if the players are fast? What if your players are slow? Doesn't that make them slower?

Not anymore than it will slow down the other team as well. We played badly in bad weather in the Dungy yrs. because our team was built on speed. When we played in the rain or in the snow it effected our team speed, therefore we didn't play as well. 

Bad weather, bad weather...whatcha gonna do.....whatcha gonna do when it rains on you.

It would be my assumption that this team will be less affected by the weather than the previous group. 

I like the musical flair :thmup:

In theory...you should be right....and we may be closer to Cincy, which needs at least the threat of the deep pass, than it at first appears

We're more equipped and of the mind to be the run-based, kicking and D .'walkin' in a winter wonder land' team

..than we were with Bruce A as the shot caller  

..but I guess we'll see

WE have 2 runners who dont fumble and we have a strong punter and placekicker.

I'd rather play Cincy in this weather than 70 degrees and sunny

It may not be fun to watch...and I could eat these words at 4 p.m/ Sunday...''

but it may keep us close.

Bad weather is always a factor..always helps the defense

Balzer is right, only speed is affected by weather. When I played football I excelled in bad weather games. I'm 6'3 200+ so I had better footing & balance since I was heavier. While the speed guys couldn't make their quick cuts like they would on dry ground.

So don't expect Gio Bernard to be as quick as he usually is if it snows come Sunday

The idea of being a run-first 'balanced' team is to survive the post-season in bad weather..

Are we that team?

If we insist on establishing the run...controlling the clock and pace of the game...possession passing

2 TEs, blocking back...control  using defense, strong kicking and conservative offense....that should show against the Bengals Sunday, right?   Not 'are we totally built to be that team'," but are we better built to handle this Sunday that we would have been last year?

If, as Chuck and Mr. Irsay hint, we were fatally flawed to be the pass-first team for a decade isn't this, our first real bad weather game in 2 years...late in the season on the road against a contender..

Your thoughts.

I don't understand why you think we were fatally flawed for that decade? Didn't the Colts set a record for double figure win seasons then? Didn't the Colts get to two Super Bowls and win one of them? Isn't the entire rest of the NFL a pass first league? Perhaps those "fatally flawed" teams you mention were just way ahead of the rest of the NFL. :D

I don't understand why you think we were fatally flawed for that decade? Didn't the Colts set a record for double figure win seasons then? Didn't the Colts get to two Super Bowls and win one of them? Isn't the entire rest of the NFL a pass first league? Perhaps those "fatally flawed" teams you mention were just way ahead of the rest of the NFL. :D

Blue man;  You misunderstood what I wrote

I really did not say we were fatally flawed...

Mr. Irsay did...He and coach Chuck have suggested we need to be a more balanced team.

That the offense we ran for 12 years with the Sherrif and last year with Mr. Lucky...is not a playoff..December January offense

and that's why we won 'only' one title.

If we are have a December/January offense..we may see it Sunday, a day when it might be difficult to throw downfield much.

Blue man;  You misunderstood what I wrote

I really did not say we were fatally flawed...

Mr. Irsay did...He and coach Chuck have suggested we need to be a more balanced team.

That the offense we ran for 12 years with the Sherrif and last year with Mr. Lucky...is not a playoff..December January offense

and that's why we won 'only' one title.

If we are have a December/January offense..we may see it Sunday, a day when it might be difficult to throw downfield much.

Perhaps we were fortunate to win one title and have another good chance at one. I don't see the rest of the league trying to field power running teams unless they don't have what they need to throw the ball. I don't see this current method getting us to a Super Bowl ever. Now that is fatally flawed.   :D

It also seems to me that most Super Bowl winning teams ride a great QB to that victory. We have a great young QB and it is time to get him some WR help and turn him loose.....  :D

This game will turn on defense, meaning our defense has to play lights out because the Bengals D is very good and they will bring it in this weather. If our D can play very good we have some favorables for this weather, our RBs especially Donald do not fumble, our kickers have been good all year, our special team are the best we've had in a while. I want a low scoring game where 2 or 3 big runs by Andrew are enough to put a Td and maybe field position for a couple of field goals. I hope the weather makes this into a running game.

Are we that team?

Your thoughts.

peps 6 man o-line line like we used on the last drive against tenn, imo will dominate the game

It looks like we will find out tomorrow, I feell like we have a team that can excel in bad weather conditions, with all our key injuries on offense, I think we stand a better chance playing teams like Denver and New England on the road in the playoffs than we would at home.

Some of our players will be affected by it, I never understood generalizing teams when it came to wondering if said team would be affected by the weather, Its a person by person thing, Some of our players will not get used to it....some will be fine