Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

players I dont expect back next year

CR91

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pep doesn't need to go because we had a power run game until our Oline was plagued with injuries. Vick Ballard was averaging close to 5 ypc. I really don't think anyone needs to go because the guys most of you are talking about are fill in.

Pep doesn't need to go because we had a power run game until our Oline was plagued with injuries. Vick Ballard was averaging close to 5 ypc. I really don't think anyone needs to go because the guys most of you are talking about are fill in.

the o-line is the one unit in offense besides Luck that has stayed healthy. We lost Thomas for the year in game two but that is hardly plagued by injuries.

Why in the world would you say that rock8591? He's our most productive back this season.

Grigs isn't gonna release him in a million years.

What do you expect Luck to throw every down? I don't think so. I'm no leader of the Brown fan club, but solid production is solid production & reliability keeps Brown on the roster plain & simple.

You do realize grigs doesn't have to release brown, right?

Brown's rookie contract is up after this season.

I can agree with the OP's list......that means about 2 draft picks and 7 free agent starters needed given the picks we have left over.....that's a lot of turnover yet again, and I don't like that, at some point you would like to feel there are less holes to fill.

Of the list I think Moala stays for a value price, he isn't going to be an A list FA. Would like to see Bethea stay too but he can't recieve a 5+ million dollar contract from us under any circumstance. Time for youthfull legs back their. Going to have to look to FA for either 1-2 guys either top shelf center/gaurd, top shelf safety or a top shelf LB that can play in space and the run (good luck). You could settle for just a couple upper level guys just not the super star of that position to bring in a solidify the group. Not having that 1st round pick stunts developing a top prospect this year so you have to pay high dollars for that developed player now. Made the bed already. We should be ok though. I'm more concerned can our coaches develop enough.

I agree with Devildog. Get rid of the coaches, namely Manusky and Pep.....Too conservative. predictable can't deal with that. Trade up next draft get a pass rusher that can actually get to the Quarterback.....

The only critique I have about our coaches are the same ones I have about the Colts for the last 15 years. It isn't the play calling or decisions outside a couple ludacris time out calls over the years but the fact that they don't coach players up...they don't seem to really make players better. Outside of the work Peyton did with his receivers to help them get better and be the best they could be I just haven't seen anyone really grow with our teams. Mathis is about the only one I think I can remember and I'm sure that a lot of that came from working with Freeney and learning from him. Sure a Harrison or Wayne had what it took to be great but I know that extra work with Peyton made them like a precision scalpel as opposed to a broad sword that you see with many other big wrs. Then the work Peyton did with Garcon who was as raw as can be and with Collie who was as unexceptional as can be he just raised them to being the best they could be. Over the years I just haven't seen the growth from other players on our teams. I look at Bill Belichek and I constantly see a team that produces the best LBs in the game from late rd picks and cast offs...Solid DLs and some of the best OL a qb could ever ask for. That team knows how to COACH. It isn't just on Sundays or at half time....its during the week....the offseason...that team always makes players better. I just wish we could see the same type of development from our players.

As for castoffs this year. I think we will see some of those bigger contracts go. Satele, Brown (will get a good contract somewhere else), and Bethea (5 mil will walk). DHB will be upgraded and Bradshaw will be replaced by another veteren or rookie fa. I think this team will go for more depth and less high end FAs. We've seen how thin our team is and I expect them to make depth upgrades on the OL and secondary.

franchise tag

No franchise tag for Mack and that's why I think he could be in Indy next year. If Cleveland reallly wanted to keep him , the best move was to do a new contract the year before he plays the old one out. Now mack would be stupid not to at least listen to a few team's offers before resigning with Cleveland.

Oh... the reason he won't be franchised is all offensive linemen are grouped together when the franchise tag # is calculated. This is why you only see left tackles franchised. KC's Albert was the only exception I remember ... but that was a crazy scenario. Other words .. Cleveland would have to pay Mack the averge salary of the top 5left tackles in the league to franchise him. Crazy but true . So you'll for sure never see a guard or center tagged....

No franchise tag for Mack and that's why I think he could be in Indy next year. If Cleveland reallly wanted to keep him , the best move was to do a new contract the year before he plays the old one out. Now mack would be stupid not to at least listen to a few team's offers before resigning with Cleveland.

Oh... the reason he won't be franchised is all offensive linemen are grouped together when the franchise tag # is calculated. This is why you only see left tackles franchised. KC's Albert was the only exception I remember ... but that was a crazy scenario. Other words .. Cleveland would have to pay Mack the averge salary of the top 5left tackles in the league to franchise him. Crazy but true . So you'll for sure never see a guard or center tagged....

for sure never see it? Yeah right

for sure never see it? Yeah right

Something wrong with you fella ? Teams don't pay centers left tackle money. Just sit back and stop commenting on things you are ignorant on. Trying to teach you a bit and you get insulted because you're lack of knowledge is exposed ? C'mon now .. grow up son. 

Something wrong with you fella ? Teams don't pay centers left tackle money. Just sit back and stop commenting on things you are ignorant on. Trying to teach you a bit and you get insulted because you're lack of knowledge is exposed ? C'mon now .. grow up son.

i wasn't insulted. Calm down tough guy.

I find it funny that "never going to happen" seems to happen a lot

Guest TeamLoloJones

How was Albert an exception?  He's played mostly left tackle his entire NFL career.

i wasn't insulted. Calm down tough guy.

I find it funny that "never going to happen" seems to happen a lot

Naaa... not too tough at 64.

But you still don't get it . The highest paid center in the league get 8 mill per year. The 4th highest gets 6.1 mill per year. If the Browns were to tag Mack , the one year cost would be 9.8 million. That's due to the offesnsive lineman being grouped together to calculate the tag price. So please name me a center that has been tagged as you say it happens "a lot." There are none.. nada .. zero. As I said ... under these rules the franchising centers and probably almost all guards is not a viable option for teams to keep centers and guards. 

Naaa... not too tough at 64.

But you still don't get it . The highest paid center in the league get 8 mill per year. The 4th highest gets 6.1 mill per year. If the Browns were to tag Mack , the one year cost would be 9.8 million. That's due to the offesnsive lineman being grouped together to calculate the tag price. So please name me a center that has been tagged as you say it happens "a lot." There are none.. nada .. zero. As I said ... under these rules the franchising centers and probably almost all guards is not a viable option for teams to keep centers and guards. 

Yep. There have only been 3 interior lineman tagged since 2007. 

Though Ryan Kalil was tagged in 2011. 

How was Albert an exception?  He's played mostly left tackle his entire NFL career.

I guess he really isn't but the Chiefs drafted Eric Fisher # 2 overall to play left tackle. So I was taking into account that they in effect paid a right tackle left tackle money .But technically I'm wrong as he was kept at LT. I guess next year will be the interesting one if they think Fisher could be a good LT.

The only critique I have about our coaches are the same ones I have about the Colts for the last 15 years. It isn't the play calling or decisions outside a couple ludacris time out calls over the years but the fact that they don't coach players up...they don't seem to really make players better. Outside of the work Peyton did with his receivers to help them get better and be the best they could be I just haven't seen anyone really grow with our teams. Mathis is about the only one I think I can remember and I'm sure that a lot of that came from working with Freeney and learning from him. Sure a Harrison or Wayne had what it took to be great but I know that extra work with Peyton made them like a precision scalpel as opposed to a broad sword that you see with many other big wrs. Then the work Peyton did with Garcon who was as raw as can be and with Collie who was as unexceptional as can be he just raised them to being the best they could be. Over the years I just haven't seen the growth from other players on our teams. I look at Bill Belichek and I constantly see a team that produces the best LBs in the game from late rd picks and cast offs...Solid DLs and some of the best OL a qb could ever ask for. That team knows how to COACH. It isn't just on Sundays or at half time....its during the week....the offseason...that team always makes players better. I just wish we could see the same type of development from our players.

As for castoffs this year. I think we will see some of those bigger contracts go. Satele, Brown (will get a good contract somewhere else), and Bethea (5 mil will walk). DHB will be upgraded and Bradshaw will be replaced by another veteren or rookie fa. I think this team will go for more depth and less high end FAs. We've seen how thin our team is and I expect them to make depth upgrades on the OL and secondary.

New England's o-line coach is a whisperer or something. They don't produce any duds and always end up replacing starters with other younger quality starters. I've been wanting us to steal him from them for years but he's like New England's "Tom Moore." He won't leave for anything, even promotions. Probably the best and most under appreciated position coach in the league

We also need a new strength and conditioning staff. We've got to be bottom of the league, in terms of durability

Yep. There have only been 3 interior lineman tagged since 2007. 

Though Ryan Kalil was tagged in 2011. 

Did any of them actually receive the franchise tag # for that year ? Or were they just tagged until they could be signed to a lng term deal that year ? 

Ryan Kahil signed a 6 year 48 million $ deal that very same year. Thus he was never paid the tag price which would have been 10 million. Probably the the two guys you mention did the same thing.

From signing news in 2011....

Kalil was scheduled to make $10.1 million in 2011 as the team's designated franchise player and signed a five-year extension through 2016 that was restructured to lower his salary-cap number this year, sources said.

Did any of them actually receive the franchise tag # for that year ? Or were they just tagged until they could be signed to a lng term deal that year ? 

Ryan Kahil signed a 6 year 48 million $ deal that very same year. Thus he was never paid the tag price which would have been 10 million. Probably the the two guys you mention did the same thing.

From signing news in 2011....

Kalil was scheduled to make $10.1 million in 2011 as the team's designated franchise player and signed a five-year extension through 2016 that was restructured to lower his salary-cap number this year, sources said.

Kalil and Mankins signed long-term deals. The only player who didnt was Stacy Andrews in 2008. 

I never knew that, it is crazy. Good for the centers and guards.

I tried to find some documentation but could only find the Breer memo supporting what you said. Mack would be a good pick up, but I think the Browns have plenty of cap.

I tried to find some documentation but could only find the Breer memo supporting what you said. Mack would be a good pick up, but I think the Browns have plenty of cap.

They for sure do have plenty of cap but maybe they won't decide to pay him the approx 7 mill it will probably take to sign him.

Kalil and Mankins signed long-term deals. The only player who didnt was Stacy Andrews in 2008. 

Got ya. In any event , I guess they could franchise him to buy extra time to work a long term deal out with him. That at the very least would screw up an attempt for us to sign him if we had interest. They would just have to be willing to possibly get stuck paying him 9.8 mill for 2014.

They for sure do have plenty of cap but maybe they won't decide to pay him the approx 7 mill it will probably take to sign him.

I hope the Colts finish what they started last year in building the O line. I don't care if we overpay for Mack. If a Thorton continues to develop and Thomas comes back we'd have a formidable line for a change.

I hope the Colts finish what they started last year in building the O line. I don't care if we overpay for Mack. If a Thorton continues to develop and Thomas comes back we'd have a formidable line for a change.

I agree and  think it would be more then worth it to over pay for Mack .

vaughn- I think sheldon price on the PS will replace him

No thank you. I would rather have Vaughn over Price any day. I am not just saying this because of the great day Vaughn had today either. Price is the most un-fluid corner I have ever seen in my life. It is obvious the coaches are just mesmerized by his size. He sucks and I cannot believe he even made the practice squad. He would have been the very first player that I cut in camp this year. 

No way Donald Brown returns - we already brought in 2 guys this season alone (Bradshaw, Richardson, Herron) just to replace him. I see us going with Richardson, Ballard next season, with another power back.

Satele gone.

McGlynn maybe back as backup C on 1-2 year contract.

Connor gone.

Angerer depends.

Matthews gone, Moala stays.

Another MLB drafted to replace Angerer, and more retooling along the OL and DL.

I wish we could've traded Kavel & Pat to Dallas. But maybe Grigs didn't see any spun off 3/4 talent there to be had.

Got ya. In any event , I guess they could franchise him to buy extra time to work a long term deal out with him. That at the very least would screw up an attempt for us to sign him if we had interest. They would just have to be willing to possibly get stuck paying him 9.8 mill for 2014.

i accept your apology

Here they are actually projecting the 2014 OL franchise tag to be over $11 million (although there may be more accurate sources)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24249078/agents-take-ten-players-who-could-get-slapped-with-a-franchise-tag