Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill Belichick Decision to Defer Punt in OT

amfootball

I still can't get over Bill's decision to defer in OT. I was screaming at my TV. This was the reversal of the 4th and 2 game where Bill was scared of Peyton. In this game, he wanted Peyton to have the ball because he did not believe Peyton could get the ball into the end zone or even into FG range. An unbelievably gutsy call.

I don't believe that has ever happened in NFL history where a coach has deferred in OT.

What do other folks think? Did you like the call? Did you think it would work? Be honest.

I still can't get over Bill's decision to defer in OT. I was screaming at my TV. This was the reversal of the 4th and 2 game where Bill was scared of Peyton. In this game, he wanted Peyton to have the ball because he did not believe Peyton could get the ball into the end zone or even into FG range. An unbelievably gutsy call.

I don't believe that has ever happened in NFL history where a coach has deferred in OT.

What do other folks think? Did you like the call? Did you think it would work? Be honest.

Its actually a saavy understanding of the new overtime rules. Each team gets a posession rather than Sudden death. He was just banking on his defense holding Denver to a field goal, and hoping Tom could score a TD to win it.

That was flat out gutsy. Against Manning- who can score TDs in a heartbeat.   Then you never give Brady the chance with the ball.

It doesn't work and Bill gets crucified so....

I get the logic and think its smart- the only downside to me is you are giving Manning the first chance to win the game.

Had the Pats gone down to kick a FG to win the game after Denver's opening punt, Belichick's praises would be singing right now (and he'd get his own statue carved out somewhere in Rome or Greece).

But given what happened in OT, it's clear that there was pretty much no influence from the coin toss.

Had the Pats gone down to kick a FG to win the game after Denver's opening punt, Belichick's praises would be singing right now (and he'd get his own statue carved out somewhere in Rome or Greece).

But given what happened in OT, it's clear that there was pretty much no influence from the coin toss.

I wouldn't go quite that far. With the wind Manning "could have" passed deeper and got down there.

I liked the call.....Denver's TE was out....Talib was bothering Demariyus...

Peyton was throwing better than he had in the first half but he wasn't going 80 yards into the wind and Prater wasn't kicking a 50-yarder into the wind

Belichik knows his home stadium..

Game actually should have ended in a tiie but it was a good call.

I'm surprised there's any question about this decision. It was a no brainer. You're not too worried about a FG, given the wind. And you certainly don't want to have to face the wind if the game comes down to a field goal attempt. I would have deferred as well.

John Harbaugh thought about deferring against the Bears last week. He said the only reason they didn't is because they couldn't determine exactly what direction the wind was blowing.

It's happened at least once.  Marty Mornhinweg deferred in overtime on teh same grounds as Belicheck.  Lions lost and Marty was fired at the end of the 2002 season.

I'm surprised there's any question about this decision. It was a no brainer. You're not too worried about a FG, given the wind. And you certainly don't want to have to face the wind if the game comes down to a field goal attempt. I would have deferred as well.

John Harbaugh thought about deferring against the Bears last week. He said the only reason they didn't is because they couldn't determine exactly what direction the wind was blowing.

I wouldn't call it a no brainer.  gutsy. Against any other team ok. Sure Manning isn't going to throw 40 yard passes against the wind but he is a dangerous QB who can make a string of short completions to drive down and get a TD and has done it countless times. If he had- Brady never gets the ball.

I wouldn't call it a no brainer.  gutsy. Against any other team ok. Sure Manning isn't going to throw 40 yard passes against the wind but he is a dangerous QB who can make a string of short completions to drive down and get a TD and has done it countless times. If he had- Brady never gets the ball.

JMO.

My job isn't on the line, but watching the game, I was saying that whoever won the toss should defer. The Pats confusion after the toss was interesting, but taking the wind was the easy call. If your defense can't get a stop, then that's on the defense. Manning wasn't on fire, their receivers weren't playing well, Moreno was hurt, etc. 

I think it would have been more gutsy to take the ball, wind be damned, and go down and score a touchdown at home. I think deferring was the smart move.

JMO.

My job isn't on the line, but watching the game, I was saying that whoever won the toss should defer. The Pats confusion after the toss was interesting, but taking the wind was the easy call. If your defense can't get a stop, then that's on the defense. Manning wasn't on fire, their receivers weren't playing well, Moreno was hurt, etc. 

I think it would have been more gutsy to take the ball, wind be damned, and go down and score a touchdown at home. I think deferring was the smart move.

well you might be ahead of the curve on me on that one since I was surprised it was a consideration to begin with...and perhaps some of the players when they won the coin toss too:)

well you might be ahead of the curve on me on that one since I was surprised it was a consideration to begin with...and perhaps some of the players when they won the coin toss too:)

The new overtime rules make it a valid option. No sudden death means defense can play their game and the offense gets a chance to respond and win the game.

Essentially, defering in overtime allows you the chance to respond to the opposition on offense, rather than hoping the other team doesnt respond to you.

I was surprised at the time, but the more I thought about it the more sense it made.

Had Manning lead the Broncos to a FG, the Patriots would have taken over and would have had four downs to get every first down (obviously). With the wind at their backs, they probably would have been able to attempt a kick from around the 35, maybe even a little closer to the 40. 

Like Dynasty said... this was the Anti-fourth-and-two. 

Yeah, reading an article they apparently couldn't believe it. I guess that's what the confusion was about. I was hoping he'd take the ball. Like I said, taking the wind was a no brainer, to me.

Yeah, reading an article they apparently couldn't believe it. I guess that's what the confusion was about. I was hoping he'd take the ball. Like I said, taking the wind was a no brainer, to me.

You and Bill must share the same brain. ;)

No one on the planet thought he would take the ball from Brady and give it to Manning. Even his own captains were not sure what to do when they won the coin toss because he motioned to them to defer.

You and Bill must share the same brain. ;)

No one on the planet thought he would take the ball from Brady and give it to Manning. Even his own captains were not sure what to do when they won the coin toss because he motioned to them to defer.

We don't share the same brain. But to me, deferring was the way to go.

We don't share the same brain. But to me, deferring was the way to go.

It ended up working out but if Manning gets the final possession and scores that would have been 3 possessions for Denver vs 2 for NE and Bill would be getting roasted. But it did work as the field position and wind did factor into OT.

He is such a freaking genius.

I wish he would be President of the United States too. He would solve all our major issues, bring world peace and cure cancer.

I love your sarcasm Jules. I needed that today.

BB played his hand exceptionally well. NE knew "when  to hold em & when to fold em."

A weak Kenny Rodgers "Gambler" verse, but SW1 is still suffering from sleep deprivation & not on my A game right now. LOL! 

It ended up working out but if Manning gets the final possession and scores that would have been 3 possessions for Denver vs 2 for NE and Bill would be getting roasted. But it did work as the field position and wind did factor into OT.

I figured the game would end in a tie after the 3rd down stop. The way the Broncos offense was playing and with the wind, I didn't expect them to score.

Let's be honest...all of us WISHED we had 'BB' as our coach. The greatest coach of all-time (either him or madden). The dude can roll with whatever talent he's givin' and get's the best of their abilities. Yes, i liked the call in overtime and even if denver got into field goal range, more than likely prater would've missed it going into the strong wind. But the balliest call ever has to be sean peyton agains't us in the superbowl (the basketcase play). If that attempt failed...the saints would've lost the superbowl...period.

I was surprised at the time, but the more I thought about it the more sense it made.

Had Manning lead the Broncos to a FG, the Patriots would have taken over and would have had four downs to get every first down (obviously). With the wind at their backs, they probably would have been able to attempt a kick from around the 35, maybe even a little closer to the 40. 

Like Dynasty said... this was the Anti-fourth-and-two. 

Just like his time spend at Annapolis with his father, BB is quite the savvy & shrewd operator & tactician. All I got say is the only thing that will cripple your franchise is god forbid a medical issue that prevents Bill from coaching the Patriots 24/7. No, I am not promoting any ill will toward the Grey Hoodie at all I swear to you. SW1 is merely acknowledging that no other NFL head coach is on his level right now.

However, it would be fun to see BB match intellectual wits with Bruce Arians in a SB setting though. Bruce kicked the Colts caboose this week & I'd love to see an aggressive OC HC vs an aggressive DC HC for all the Lombardi marbles. 

I admire Sean Payton's aggressiveness as an HC too especially hiring Rob Ryan. Saints vs NE would be a great SB too. Even though we lost a ring to New Orleans, I'd love to watch that game. Drew Brees seems to have Brady's number like Brady has Peyton's right now. 

I will let all my NE friends have their day even week if they want to toot their own Patriots horn. They earned it. I view it like a Presidential election...Half of the country is happy & the other half is bewildered & sick to their stomach. My point is this: I respect my NE friends on here, tip my cap to them, & remember when my Colts beat their Patriots to joke a little, but be very measured & respectful to those fans who lost. It's how SW1 rolls. 

Peyton played a great game...So did Brady...I love competition & clashing swords with a worthy adversary. Much respect NE...Much respect...You won this round, but 1 battle does not win a Playoffs war...Peyton will return just like Gen. Douglas MacArthur did in WWII to the Philippines. LOL! Just Kidding my Boston Brethren!

My husband and I discussed it as it was happening.  I noticed that Peyton's usual "lame duck" passes were much worse in that wind.  There was a significant difference between how Brady's high velocity passes were behaving in the wind and Peyton's lower velocity, higher arc passed were being impacted.  I haven't seen the statistics, but it seems that his accuracy was significantly down.  I think that and the Patriots D's ability to hold was what Belichick was banking on. 

Gutsy move in that if you lose taking the first possession no one is going to say you made the wrong decision, but if they'd lost after that call, you KNOW what an uproar it would have caused.

Let's be honest...all of us WISHED we had 'BB' as our coach. The greatest coach of all-time (either him or madden). The dude can roll with whatever talent he's givin' and get's the best of their abilities. Yes, i liked the call in overtime and even if denver got into field goal range, more than likely prater would've missed it going into the strong wind. But the balliest call ever has to be sean peyton agains't us in the superbowl (the basketcase play). If that attempt failed...the saints would've lost the superbowl...period.

Madden?

The 'anti' fourth and 2

...with no juggled ball security issues this time either.  Right refs?  haha  NE never makes the same mistake twice. You learn, you adapt, & you leave other squads in the dust. JMO.

I had to make that last sentence display the proper balance & grammatical parallelism with the word you. There, SW1 feels better now.  :P

John Madden (5 time coach of the year). The fat guy on the video game cover...that madden. His coaching never gets any respect.

Madden got a bunch of misfit talents to work as a single unit simply by acknowledging they were all screw ups and misfits and not giving a damn about it. He had great schemes and just told his guys to go out and play.

In many ways he was the original "player's coach". He had a minimum of team rules, and was generally very lax with discipline. In his mind, they were all grown men and he had no buisness telling them what to do. He was the perfect coach for that Raiders team because of it.

Belichick inovates more with how he adjusts on the fly and manages personelle. Madden was an innovator in how he created team cohesiveness through mutual respect. They really cant be compared in any way, but they were both great.