Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marvin Harrison, Tony Dungy Semifinalists for Hall Of Fame

HtownColt

Marvin Harrison never received the credit he deserved. He was the greatest WR of his era. Not Randy Moss, not Terrell Owens, not Andre Johnson, not Hines Ward, etc. etc. etc.

If Harrison, Dungy or both get into the hall of fame, I will be making a trip to canton to see them.

The Marvin Harrison speech is going to be really interesting. I hope he is preparing for it.

Marvin Harrison never received the credit he deserved. He was the greatest WR of his era. Not Randy Moss, not Terrell Owens, not Andre Johnson, not Hines Ward, etc. etc. etc.

If Harrison, Dungy or both get into the hall of fame, I will be making a trip to canton to see them.

The Marvin Harrison speech is going to be really interesting. I hope he is preparing for it.

Terrell Owens hall of fame speech will be very interesting as well lol but in a different way from Marvin

Neither will be 1st ballot but Marv should be

I think Marv has a chance. The numbers are overwhelming. And he has a ring. All of the boxes are checked. Having said that I think the HOF voting has given us some of the most ridiculous results in all of sports. So you never know.

I think Marv has a chance. The numbers are overwhelming. And he has a ring. All of the boxes are checked. Having said that I think the HOF voting had given us some of the most ridiculous results in all of sports. So you never know.

no doubt he deserves it. Highly doubt it will happen

I would love to hear Marvin's speech.  Personally, I don't think Dungy is a HOF coach.  But good luck to both

Dungy's cover 2 defense was pretty revolutionary  -- and not that race should really matter this day in age, but being the first African American to win a super bowl ring has to say a lot.  Also, Dungy's 'coaching tree' has to go a long way -- not only an impressive group, but I think it will also be argued that he really opened the door for African Americans to have a shot at making it to the top of the coaching ladder --- Lovie Smith, Mike Tomlin, Herm Edwards, Jim Caldwell plus Rod Marinelli are all former Dungy assistants that have served, or still are serving as head coaches in NFL and Monte Kiffin is arguably the most accomplished coordinator that has never become a head NFL coach in league history.

I think both get in at some point.

Dungy's cover 2 defense was pretty revolutionary  -- and not that race should really matter this day in age, but being the first African American to win a super bowl ring has to say a lot.  Also, Dungy's 'coaching tree' has to go a long way -- not only an impressive group, but I think it will also be argued that he really opened the door for African Americans to have a shot at making it to the top of the coaching ladder --- Lovie Smith, Mike Tomlin, Herm Edwards, Jim Caldwell plus Rod Marinelli are all former Dungy assistants that have served, or still are serving as head coaches in NFL and Monte Kiffin is arguably the most accomplished coordinator that has never become a head NFL coach in league history.

I think both get in at some point.

Dungy built two Super Bowl teams. There are very few if any coaches in NFL history that have that as a part of their resume. Most coaches are great in one place and then lackluster some where else. Very few coaches, GMs, and owners are dominate in multiple places. Dungy was.

Example: Hank Stram was a great coach for the Chiefs. He fizzled in New Orleans. Jimmie Johnson was a great coach in college and with the Cowboys. But he bombed with the Dolphins. Joe Gibbs won 3 Super Bowls with the Redskins. Left. Then came back for the same team and was wiped out. Even the great Vince Lombardi was fantastic with the Packers but did nothing with the Redskins before passing away. 

Dungy is really unique in this regard. Of the many who tried, the only Hall of Fame coach that comes to mind that was great in more than one place was Don Shula. He built Super Bowl level teams in Baltimore and Miami. But even with Shula there is a bit of an issue. After leaving Baltimore he won a Super Bowl with Miami in 1972 and 1973. He then went 22 years and never won another Super Bowl. In the modern era a coach could never hold their job that long without winning. Especially when your QB is named Dan Marino.

Dungy really stands alone. Especially given that he turned around one of the worst franchises in NFL history in the Tampa Buccaneers, and another franchise that had a poor history still trying to find its way in a new city. Dungy's success record in this realm is far greater than someone like Bill Parcells is. And they put him in the Hall of Fame.

On the surface i was unsure if Dungy was a first ballot Hall of Famer. But to be honest, the more I  look at his record, the stronger he gets.  He is absolutely a Hall of Famer. The only issue for discussion is if he is a first ballot Hall of Famer, but either way he is getting in. His resume demands it.

Dungy should not get in. He's not a HOF coach, not by any stretch. Was he the GM of Tampa bringing in all of those great defensive players? No, nor did he win a SB with them. Gruden did.

Marvelous Marvin should, though.

My sentiments exactly.

I do think Dungy should get in eventually, but first ballot is a bit of a stretch.

Dungy should not get in. He's not a HOF coach, not by any stretch. Was he the GM of Tampa bringing in all of those great defensive players? No, nor did he win a SB with them. Gruden did.

Marvelous Marvin should, though. I loved watching that guy, been as an opponent.

I'm just curious, what exactly determines a HOF worthy coach...??  (and for the record, I am not being snarky or sarcastic, just really curious what factors determine this)

I agree that Marvin should go in First Ballot.

My sentiments exactly.

I do think Dungy should get in eventually, but first ballot is a bit of a stretch.

If Parcels did not make it first ballot with 20 years coaching + several years at GM....Dungy should not with just 12 years.  Dungy did have a better winning % and equal in Super Bowls....but not a First Ballot IMO.

Marvin?  Receivers are less likely to be first ballot.  I hope he is, but will not be surprised whatsoever if he does not.  Along with Bert Jones, Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne, Marvin is up there as my favorite.

Regardless of talents of these qualified candidates,  Harrison's touchdowns and catches brought chills to my spine.  Bob Lameys calls did not hurt 'the moments either!!!!  Good luck Marvin!!  And Coach Dungy!!

dff02m8r.jpg

Edited by BrentMc11

If it was possible to be underrated despite being on an all-time decade winning team and playing with Peyton Manning, then Marvin Harrison was underrated. He demanded double coverage and still beat it many times. He gave up his body for the team with those fairly meaningless 5 yd routes near the end of his career. His only drawback was that he went down very easily after the catch (of course being 175 lbs had a lot to do with that). Marvin made many more ''great'' catches than any WR--yes even more great catches than Jerry Rice. He set records. He was on a winning team. We forget how great he was since he had such an abrupt ending to his career and went downhill so fast. But he was one of the top 5 WRs of all-time and probably one of the top 3.

With Tony, I think he is an outstanding man. I think he helped build a very good Tampa Bay team and was the coach for most of the years of the all-time decade winning team-the Colts of the last decade. He also won a SB. On those merits alone, I think he deserves the HOF. However, I do think to some degree his ways/on the field philosophies cost the Colts a chance at 2 more SB wins. Just MHO, of course. But yes, Tony deserves the HOF, not a first ballot, but eventually.

If Parcels did not make it first ballot with 20 years coaching + several years at GM....Dungy should not with just 12 years.  Dundy did have a better winning % and equal in Super Bowls....but not a First Ballot IMO.

Marvin?  Receivers are less likely to be first ballot.  I hope he is, but will not be surprised whatsoever if he does not.  Along with Bert Jones, Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne, Marvin is up there as my favorite.

Regardless of talents of these qualified candidates,  Harrison's touchdowns and catches brought chills to my spine.  Bob Lameys calls did not hurt 'the moments either!!!!  Good luck Marvin!!  And Coach Dungy!!

dff02m8r.jpg

Not to nitpick, but Parcels is 2-1 in the Super Bowl

If Parcels did not make it first ballot with 20 years coaching + several years at GM....Dungy should not with just 12 years.  Dungy did have a better winning % and equal in Super Bowls....but not a First Ballot IMO.

dff02m8r.jpg

As info, I mentioned Dungy's two Super Bowls....1 was as a player in 1979.  I needed to clarify....Sorry for not being more clear. I knew he won only the Colt Super Bowl as a coach...

Tom Flores was the first minority HC to win a SB(2). Not sure if he has even gotten close.

Right, forgot about that guy, I think I actually hear him on the radio calling games for the Raiders...

I am obviously biased to Dungy, & I guess I was going on his reputation & it seemed like during the week leading up to the superbowl they were really running with the storyline of Dungy & Lovie being the first African American coaches to square off against each other in the big game, I guess I remember the NFL trying to make it seem like a big deal then, so I assumed it would be viewed that way by HOF selection commitee too...

Right, forgot about that guy, I think I actually hear him on the radio calling games for the Raiders...

I am obviously biased to Dungy, & I guess I was going on his reputation & it seemed like during the week leading up to the superbowl they were really running with the storyline of Dungy & Lovie being the first African American coaches to square off against each other in the big game, I guess I remember the NFL trying to make it seem like a big deal then, so I assumed it would be viewed that way by HOF selection commitee too...

You're right. I just hate how Flores is forgotten, while the media wants to enshrine guys like Tom Coughlin before he even retires.

Man, that TB team was nasty!  I have no doubt in my mind that if the TB office didn't run him out, he would have won a SB there.

An important added notch in Dungy's belt is just how fast the Buccaneers fell off after Dungy left. 

Furthermore, has anyone else notice the tremendous defensive difficulties coach Monte Kiffin has had without Dungy around? Kiffin was fired from USC. He will be fired from Dallas at the end of the year. And the Bucs defense was never the same after Dungy left. Kiffin has been at times a terrible defensive coordinator without Dungy around.

History is going to shine its light brighter and brighter on the Dungy record with each passing day.

An important added notch in Dungy's belt is just how fast the Buccaneers fell off after Dungy left. 

Furthermore, has anyone else notice the tremendous defensive difficulties coach Monte Kiffin has had without Dungy around? Kiffin was fired from USC. He will be fired from Dallas at the end of the year. And the Bucs defense was never the same after Dungy left. Kiffin has been at times a terrible defensive coordinator without Dungy around.

History is going to shine its light brighter and brighter on the Dungy record with each passing day.

The Bucs fell off so bad they won a SB soon as Dungy left. It wasn't just due to coaching that the Bucs dipped....players leave, age, etc.