Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Glad the Thursday night games are done for us

cmgww

So glad the Thursday games are over. I didn't mind this last one as it got the Rams loss out of my mind, but I hate not seeing the Colts on Sundays. They run late on a work night, force the team into a wacky prep schedule, etc. Today I skipped around on Sunday Ticket, kind of followed some games my fantasy players were in, and am now half watching the Broncos game. The only benefit is some extra rest for the team on the back end. And doesn't the NFL have plans for more next season? If so, ugh...

The quality of the TNF games has been pretty poor this year. Also, the Colts seem to always play divisional opponents on Thursday. I'd like to see some variety or even a home game. Other than the Denver game, all our other primetime games have been on the road.

So glad the Thursday games are over. I didn't mind this last one as it got the Rams loss out of my mind, but I hate not seeing the Colts on Sundays. They run late on a work night, force the team into a wacky prep schedule, etc. Today I skipped around on Sunday Ticket, kind of followed some games my fantasy players were in, and am now half watching the Broncos game. The only benefit is some extra rest for the team on the back end. And doesn't the NFL have plans for more next season? If so, ugh...

You sir must be my twin. I did what you did exactly today. Just skipping around on Sunday ticket. Just watching players on my fantasy team and now just watching the bronco game. Yeah. I would much rather watch the colts early in the afternoon. Less stress for my heart.

Friday is high school football night. Saturday is college football day. Thursday gives enough time to rest without cutting in to the pure football fan demographic.

Yeah, I know friday is high school day, but geez, maybe they should get rid of Thurs nite football then. 4 days rest is ridiculous.

:ranton: 

All Thursday night games are an abomination!!    With the exception of Thanksgiving (tradition)  they should be forever banned and never brought back.

The players HATE them with a blood curdling passion!    They only exist to make the owners more money -- period!    They serve no other purpose.

Next time you hear and NFL official or owner talk about how concerned they are about player safety, remember Thursday night games.   If they were so concerned,  they'd give them up without a fight.   But they won't.   They make too much money.

A real shame.

OK....   sorry, I'll get off my soap box now!    Carry on!    

:rantoff: 

:ranton:

All Thursday night games are an abomination!!    With the exception of Thanksgiving (tradition)  they should be forever banned and never brought back.

The players HATE them with a blood curdling passion!    They only exist to make the owners more money -- period!    They serve no other purpose.

Next time you hear and NFL official or owner talk about how concerned they are about player safety, remember Thursday night games.   If they were so concerned,  they'd give them up without a fight.   But they won't.   They make too much money.

A real shame.

OK....   sorry, I'll get off my soap box now!    Carry on!    

:rantoff:

You know what bothers me about your rant? The NFL has taken a bunch of steps in the name of player safety, many of which the fans hate: moving kickoffs, increasing rules regarding helmet contact and unsafe hits, the wedge rule, etc. And like I said, fans gripe and moan about them endlessly. "They're ruining football! Might as well just give them flags!!!"

But when the league plays the same game with the same rules on Thursday night, it's evidence that they don't really care about player safety. Despite there being no history of increased frequency of injuries in Thursday night games. 

I understand that there's a middle ground, and I'm not picking on you. It just annoys me how much people complain about practical changes the league makes, and then out of the same mouth claim that the NFL doesn't care about player safety.

here's one random but interesting thing: only 3 home teams have lost so far this week and all have come from the AFC south. We are certainly in contention for the worst division in football. The struggling but 7-3 colts, and then everyone else who sucks.

Struggling? Nah, more like adjusting without Reggie. We'll be back to normal pretty soon. 

You know what bothers me about your rant? The NFL has taken a bunch of steps in the name of player safety, many of which the fans hate: moving kickoffs, increasing rules regarding helmet contact and unsafe hits, the wedge rule, etc. And like I said, fans gripe and moan about them endlessly. "They're ruining football! Might as well just give them flags!!!"

But when the league plays the same game with the same rules on Thursday night, it's evidence that they don't really care about player safety. Despite there being no history of increased frequency of injuries in Thursday night games. 

I understand that there's a middle ground, and I'm not picking on you. It just annoys me how much people complain about practical changes the league makes, and then out of the same mouth claim that the NFL doesn't care about player safety.

The league now knows it HAS to make a number of changes for player safety.   They're just too exposed, plus the public now worries about this.    The league does not want to take the chance of turning off fans, and turning off the parents of kids who will be the next generation of NFL players.

So, the league is willing to do all sorts of things to help player safety AS LONG AS it doesn't cost them money.   And none of the things you mentioned cost the league a penny.

But the ONLY reason for Thursday night games,  which the players HATE beyond belief,  is money for the owners.   Pure and simple.      Sorry,  we respectfully see things differently on this one......

how can you say we're not struggling... we literally need to comeback from double digit deficits, every game... against sub par teams.

Yeah were struggling as of now but it's not a coincidence that it's been since Reggie got hurt. The struggling is just a phase I think while were adjusting without him. Cause last time we were with him we beat the best team in the league imo. 

Plus, if anything, the comebacks show that we are in fact the superior team and when we need to win we can. Obviously I don't want that to keep happening though and I don't think it will. it's probably just a phase. 

You know who, in fact, doesn't care about player safety?

The players.

I wish it was Friday Night Football. The extra day of rest is huge. Why Thursday?

Friday night is historically a bad night for tv ratings.  A lot of people and families are away from home doing things like having dinner etc.  When a sitcom you like gets moved to Fridays, or starts on Fridays it's a sign that the network doesn't have much faith or lost faith in the show.  It's sort of a kiss of death.

The quality of the TNF games has been pretty poor this year. Also, the Colts seem to always play divisional opponents on Thursday. I'd like to see some variety or even a home game. Other than the Denver game, all our other primetime games have been on the road.

I thought all Thursday night games were divisional games, so after I read your post, I looked up the schedule...

only 5 out of the 14 TNF games this year are not divisional match-ups...

first one that wasn't was the Eagles-KC game, but that game had the Andy Reid angle...

The others were Bills-Browns, Giants-Bears, Bengals-Dolphins, Redskins-Vikings...

If the league continues to have a TNF game each week they should probably make each game a division game...

I thought all Thursday night games were divisional games, so after I read your post, I looked up the schedule...

only 5 out of the 14 TNF games this year are not divisional match-ups...

first one that wasn't was the Eagles-KC game, but that game had the Andy Reid angle...

The others were Bills-Browns, Giants-Bears, Bengals-Dolphins, Redskins-Vikings...

If the league continues to have a TNF game each week they should probably make each game a division game...

Its actually the game the networks want least each week. Usually games that have more regional appeal than national appeal, because NFL network isnt basic cable.

Its actually the game the networks want least each week. Usually games that have more regional appeal than national appeal, because NFL network isnt basic cable.

Really???

well I guess that makes sense, since I do usually skip the Thursday night games myself, weird though that the KC-Philly game wouldn't have been at least remotely interesting for some "non-regional" fans with the Andy Reid angle...

I know I watched that game wandering how Andy would fair against the Eagles...

Also weird that the 49er-Rams game would fall into that category, since those games were barn-burners last year, both going to OT...

just thinking out loud here...

Really???

well I guess that makes sense, since I do usually skip the Thursday night games myself, weird though that the KC-Philly game wouldn't have been at least remotely interesting for some "non-regional" fans with the Andy Reid angle...

I know I watched that game wandering how Andy would fair against the Eagles...

Also weird that the 49er-Rams game would fall into that category, since those games were barn-burners last year, both going to OT...

just thinking out loud here...

KC was coming off a 2-14 year and the Eagles just made a change at HC after missing the playoffs. Nobody expected either team to be that good. NFC west games are terrible draws, with the exception of Seahawks vs Niners.

Well, to be fair, its not always easy predicting how good teams would be.  Several matchups on TNF looked great on paper in the preseason.  But the demise of teams like the Giants, Falcons, Vikings and Steelers, all of whom were playoff teams (or cusp playoff teams last year) have affected that.  Even throwing in division rivalries as filler isn't always a sure thing.

The league now knows it HAS to make a number of changes for player safety.   They're just too exposed, plus the public now worries about this.    The league does not want to take the chance of turning off fans, and turning off the parents of kids who will be the next generation of NFL players.

So, the league is willing to do all sorts of things to help player safety AS LONG AS it doesn't cost them money.   And none of the things you mentioned cost the league a penny.

But the ONLY reason for Thursday night games,  which the players HATE beyond belief,  is money for the owners.   Pure and simple.      Sorry,  we respectfully see things differently on this one......

There's no question the players don't like TNF. And fans complain about it as well, which I don't quite understand as much. It's another night for primetime football, and I don't see how that hurts the fan experience. Some people complain about the quality of the games, but I think that's more an issue of seeing teams that they don't usually see as much, some of which are just not good teams. (Bengals/Dolphins was ugly, but both of those teams were playing poorly.)

There's also no question TNF makes the league more money. That's a given. They wouldn't do it if that weren't the case.

What I haven't seen is anything other than speculation to suggest that TNF increases injuries. I understand the idea that it's hard on the body to get ready with a shorter turnaround time, but no one complains about the short turnaround for MNF. We don't complain about the Thanksgiving games, which are and always have been a massive money grab. And on the back end of a Thursday night game is a long week off before the next game. It could even be argued that the quick turnaround keeps slightly injured players off the field, giving them a full two weeks to get ready. And then the regular nicks and bruises from the game don't pile up as much, as everyone has 10 more days to get ready.

So I don't quite buy all this outrage about player safety regarding TNF. I'd like to see some science to support these claims.

And the main thing is that the fans are hypocrites, accusing the NFL of being hypocritical. Fans complain about rule changes, then point the finger at anything the NFL does that they perceive as being not good for player safety. Again, not talking specifically about you, just about this entire concept. You can't chide the league about TNF, then complain about common sense rules changes. It rings hollow.

Friday night is historically a bad night for tv ratings.  A lot of people and families are away from home doing things like having dinner etc.  When a sitcom you like gets moved to Fridays, or starts on Fridays it's a sign that the network doesn't have much faith or lost faith in the show.  It's sort of a kiss of death.

You can't have TV on while having dinner? Even if you go out, every place has a TV that you can watch. I call nonsense on that. People that love football will still watch no matter what day it's on.

I'm glad the night games are done for a while.  I have to pick between missing out on a bunch of sleep and seeing the game and I chose to watch the Denver game all the way through and it turned out to be a bad idea for me.

After that I went to bed at halftime.  

I'll be happy that there will be games that I can actually watch all the way through.  

You can't have TV on while having dinner? Even if you go out, every place has a TV that you can watch. I call nonsense on that. People that love football will still watch no matter what day it's on.

theres even a term for shows on Fridays between 8:00-11:00 it's called the death slot...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_night_death_slot

As for the Thursday night deal, I've been saying for a couple years that I think the NFL should expand the season. I don't think they should add games, keep it at 16 games per team. But give each team three byes, and have one of those byes the week before a TNF game. So you're actually coming off a bye into a TNF game, then you get another 10 days afterward. Stops the complaining about safety and recovery.

You can have a 19 week regular season, instead of a 17 week season. And you can expand the active roster to 60 men, with an 8 player practice squad still. Adds 224 jobs to the league, makes it easier to manage injuries and IR for players that might make it back, etc. Game day roster expands to 50. Each team would get three byes + TNF (which is an extra mini bye). The league gets two more weeks of TV dominance. And you get those two extra weeks by starting training camps and preseason one week earlier, and getting rid of one preseason game.

Find a problem with that... ;)

As for the Thursday night deal, I've been saying for a couple years that I think the NFL should expand the season. I don't think they should add games, keep it at 16 games per team. But give each team three byes, and have one of those byes the week before a TNF game. So you're actually coming off a bye into a TNF game, then you get another 10 days afterward. Stops the complaining about safety and recovery.

You can have a 19 week regular season, instead of a 17 week season. And you can expand the active roster to 60 men, with an 8 player practice squad still. Adds 224 jobs to the league, makes it easier to manage injuries and IR for players that might make it back, etc. Game day roster expands to 50. Each team would get three byes + TNF (which is an extra mini bye). The league gets two more weeks of TV dominance. And you get those two extra weeks by starting training camps and preseason one week earlier, and getting rid of one preseason game.

Find a problem with that... ;)

can't do it...

Genius...

Yeah were struggling as of now but it's not a coincidence that it's been since Reggie got hurt. The struggling is just a phase I think while were adjusting without him. Cause last time we were with him we beat the best team in the league imo. 

Plus, if anything, the comebacks show that we are in fact the superior team and when we need to win we can. Obviously I don't want that to keep happening though and I don't think it will. it's probably just a phase. 

I hope so. Someone mentioned in another topic that the colts should start the ball game slinging the ball in 3/ 4 receiver sets with some trick routes or mid game plays. I think this is a fantastic idea. Start the game like that, and then a drive or 2 later, go back to the normal game plan.