Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I wonder if we make a play for Jonathan Martin

Ohio Colt

At some point....

I would not rule it out given the Stanford players we already have...and we need a lineman. If he gets back to the NFL and plays again I don't think it will be with the dolphins and I think we will offer most & also be the best landing spot for him since Luck, Fleener, and Whalen are here

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At some point....

I would not rule it out given the Stanford players we already have...and we need a lineman. If he gets back to the NFL and plays again I don't think it will be with the dolphins and I think we will offer most & also be the best landing spot for him since Luck, Fleener, and Whalen are here

I'm not sure there's a scenario that works. Everyone here whose opinion I've read says that he's not a good tackle and I think the Colts tackles are pretty decent. Next season, Thomas will be back, so the guards are taken care of. I would be more concerned about who's going to play center and I don't know that Martin has any experience playing the center position. If he played here, he'd probably be here for depth, and what young player, who has already been a starter, is going to ride the bench voluntarily?

And I'm not sure the Stanford connection would come into play either. It's important that the QB and his receivers have familiarity and a good connection with one another, but is it the same for a QB and his O line?

I'm sure someone with more knowledge can tell me where I'm all wrong about this.

I'm not sure there's a scenario that works. Everyone here whose opinion I've read says that he's not a good tackle and I think the Colts tackles are pretty decent. Next season, Thomas will be back, so the guards are taken care of. I would be more concerned about who's going to play center and I don't know that Martin has any experience playing the center position. If he played here, he'd probably be here for depth, and what young player, who has already been a starter, is going to ride the bench voluntarily?

And I'm not sure the Stanford connection would come into play either. It's important that the QB and his receivers have familiarity and a good connection with one another, but is it the same for a QB and his O line?

I'm sure someone with more knowledge can tell me where I'm all wrong about this.

Left Tackle and Center need a reptoire with the QB. Other than that its fairly moot. Castonzo has played out of his mind this year, so no need for a change at LT. Center and depth at guard are the only real concerns on the O line. We get Thomas back and a capable center, the line suddenly looks much better.

I don't blame him for handling it way he is. Punching Incognito could've made the situation worse and make himself look like a problem. Richie is a punk high-school bully trapped in an adults body who's prone to violence and stupidity. Martin must have left because he knows the coaches were empowering Incognito to do these things, so leaving sent the biggest red flag that he could.

That's not true at all.

Wow, either people really don't understand line play or aren't paying close attention to ours.  There's a lot of ... misunderstanding??... in this thread, isn't there?

Our OTs are playing very well, and you can't just switch positions easily.  I know it's done, but sometimes that's more out of necessity because of injury.  And the player is rarely as good in a new position.

Actually the tackles have performed quite well given the kind of support the line has on the inside, guard play is what is bringing down the tackle performance.

It's the Rule of 2!

The Rule of 2 states that a good offensive lineman can compensate for poor OL play by one OLineman one position over, but cannot compensate for two positions over or two OL.  So a good OT can compensate for a poor OG play, a good OG can compensate for poor OT OR C play, etc.  It's why Tarik Glenn/Jeff Saturday/Ryan Diem were usually effective with <insert OG name here>.

However, if there's poor OG play and poor C play, then you're in trouble.  Improve at C or OG and your problem is solved.

McGlynn and Martin dont even play the same position.

You can normally move tackles to guard. You can't do the opposite.   College tackles that can't handle nfl speed rushers always get moved to guard. They normally do well. Jets drafted winters in 2nd round and move him to guard, kyle long bears, HUGH THORNTON??? chiefs have jeff allen at guard, ravens have osemele moved there, bulaga,etc. kyle long might be rookie of the year. Tackles can normally be moved to guard successfully if they're athletic like martin. a few tackles are stiff and can't move well at guard but most can. I would agree that martin may not be any good period......but the fact that he's played tackle in college and nfl doesn't mean he may not be better at guard than tackle. 

Wow, either people really don't understand line play or aren't paying close attention to ours.  There's a lot of ... misunderstanding??... in this thread, isn't there?

Our OTs are playing very well, and you can't just switch positions easily.  I know it's done, but sometimes that's more out of necessity because of injury.  And the player is rarely as good in a new position.

I would agree it wouldn't be ideal.....i just didn't see how it could possibly be worse than mcglynn is. I think there's a chance he is a total bust. I would be curious to see why he seemed to play physical in college but has turned soft in the nfl. i don't know whether to feel bad for the guy or not. there sems to be so much conflictng reports about the situation.

number one castanzo and cherlius are doing a great job protecting luck. its the inside thats giving up pressure. the outside is also where are best runs are coming from. there is nothing wrong with our tackles. second trade deadline is over so we cant trade for him. the only way we come get him is if hes released, but then he would have to clear waivers.

I would agree it wouldn't be ideal.....i just didn't see how it could possibly be worse than mcglynn is. I think there's a chance he is a total bust. I would be curious to see why he seemed to play physical in college but has turned soft in the nfl. i don't know whether to feel bad for the guy or not. there sems to be so much conflictng reports about the situation.

By no means am I defending McGlynn (or Satele) but I have to believe our coaches are putting the best they have available out there.  Their jobs are on the line.

There may come a time when Reitz, Holmes, or even Link, shows in practice that they're the better option.  But apparently that time hasn't come yet.

What I'm ultimately saying is that in spite of all of our whinning (including me) about our O Line, I think the coaches know best about who to put out there.  And knowing how Grigs operates, I have to believe he's scouring the practice squads and waiver wires looking for upgrades.  Like I said before, I may be naive.

You can normally move tackles to guard. You can't do the opposite.   College tackles that can't handle nfl speed rushers always get moved to guard. They normally do well. Jets drafted winters in 2nd round and move him to guard, kyle long bears, HUGH THORNTON??? chiefs have jeff allen at guard, ravens have osemele moved there, bulaga,etc. kyle long might be rookie of the year. Tackles can normally be moved to guard successfully if they're athletic like martin. a few tackles are stiff and can't move well at guard but most can. I would agree that martin may not be any good period......but the fact that he's played tackle in college and nfl doesn't mean he may not be better at guard than tackle.

Those are guards that played tackle in college out of necessity, which is common. For the most part everyone projected them to be guards in the nfl.

By no means am I defending McGlynn (or Satele) but I have to believe our coaches are putting the best they have available out there.  Their jobs are on the line.

There may come a time when Reitz, Holmes, or even Link, shows in practice that they're the better option.  But apparently that time hasn't come yet.

What I'm ultimately saying is that in spite of all of our whinning (including me) about our O Line, I think the coaches know best about who to put out there.  And knowing how Grigs operates, I have to believe he's scouring the practice squads and waiver wires looking for upgrades.  Like I said before, I may be naive.

Agreed. there's no better option out there this season. we're stuck.

Those are guards that played tackle in college out of necessity, which is common. For the most part everyone projected them to be guards in the nfl.

right. how is that any different than what i was saying. athletic tackles that could pull, commonly get moved to guard in the nfl. same thing.

I would. Its my understanding he's better at guard than at tackle..

....and there obviouisly would be no issues of acceptance in Indy because he already knows all our Stanford alums

Our weakest position is our O-line....

I'd wait until after the season and offer a low draft choice for him