Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck has to make others better.

GoColts8818

With Reggie Wayne out Andrew Luck has to take the next step and prove he can be a guy who makes other guys better.  I just heard on the radio that his QB rating without Reggie on the field is 18.  This is a HUGE injury and for us to over come it Andrew Luck has to take that next step where he is a guy who makes the guys around him better like a Manning, Brady, Rodgers, or Brees does. 

Let's chill, I didn't say Luck was bad or we needed another QB or that Luck wouldn't be any good.  What I am saying is for us to go where we want to go, which frankly most here have been talking a playoff run not just making the playoffs as a division champion, Luck is going to have to take that next step to make others around him better.  Does that mean if he doesn't it's time to throw the towel in on him?  No, not even close but I also think we are kidding ourselves to think a second year QB can lose their hall of fame WR and just have everything be just fine.  There is going to be an adjustment period even if they did have a week of practice. 

Will his QB rating be higher than 18?  I am sure it will.  However, it does speak to the fact that when Luck doesn't have Reggie Wayne he looks like a young QB.  He might not have the super human performances we have been used too since he got here.  That's not a slam on Luck at all, it's just my honest look at the situation.  I think Reggie has been a bigger role in our offense than most of us honestly realize.  It doesn't mean we are going to revert to the 2011 Colts offense without him either though. 

Maybe I overstate my belief in him, but I absolutely believe he will raise the level of all those around him. I think is that good. Will they miss Reggie - of course. But I think Indy still has some good stuff ahead this year.

i think he can too. I didn't start this thread to bash Andrew Luck. I am just saying for this team to go where people want them to go he has to make others around him better. Can he? I think the answer is yes because that's what great QBS do and I think Luck is the next great QB.

My worst fears tonight have come true.  Luck is looking like a young QB without much talent around him at the WR spot.  I will say this Hilton is starting to come on.  That's a good first step. 

WR are playing bad

But Luck is throwing like poo as well.

Is that his fault? Mostly. But I'd be pretty scared behind this OL too right now. 

WR are playing bad

But Luck is throwing like poo as well.

Is that his fault? Mostly. But I'd be pretty scared behind this OL too right now. 

Yeah, Luck has thrown some bad passes but honestly if you watch his over throws he's doing it because he's being forced to throw to a guy who isn't really open he's kinda being forced to pick the guy who is the least cover rather than throwing to a guy who is open.  I honestly thought the Colts went away from the ground game too early.  I know it was 14-0 nothing but it was still the first half and the run was working.  I would have stuck with it longer. 

Grigson needs to pay attention to this game and start to look to a top WR guy that can take Reggies place when he retires

That's part of the problem.  What do we do? We don't have a first rounder in 2014 to draft a guy so do we trade a 2015 first rounder to move into the first round in 2014 to get a guy?  Do we sign a guy which will eat up a tone of money this off-season and we clearly have more needs than just WR.  Then on top of that Reggie's last year of his deal is next year.  Even if he's 100% when he comes back do you give him another deal knowing he's not going to play forever.  This is where losing Garcon is really hurting.  Yes he has drops issues too but he has turned into a legit number one WR in the NFL and I don't know how exactly we come up with another answer unless we hit on a guy in the draft and frankly it's hard to find number one type WR guys outside of the first round. 

That's part of the problem.  What do we do? We don't have a first rounder in 2014 to draft a guy so do we trade a 2015 first rounder to move into the first round in 2014 to get a guy?  Do we sign a guy which will eat up a tone of money this off-season and we clearly have more needs than just WR.  Then on top of that Reggie's last year of his deal is next year.  Even if he's 100% when he comes back do you give him another deal knowing he's not going to play forever.  This is where losing Garcon is really hurting.  Yes he has drops issues too but he has turned into a legit number one WR in the NFL and I don't know how exactly we come up with another answer unless we hit on a guy in the draft and frankly it's hard to find number one type WR guys outside of the first round. 

Yes, and we have problems because we will probably have to spend alot of money in Vontae next year and in Luck and TY in two years

Hey they are figuring it out.  Hilton is the guy.  Great job on his part to step up.  Luck is starting to look comfortable again.  They are adjusting.  Also one HECK of a throw and catch by Fleener on that two point play.  Those are the kinds of plays I am talking about when I say making others open.  No way Fleener was open Luck threw it the only place he could and have it not get picked or knocked down and Fleener made one heck of a catch. 

Fourth Quarter is Lucky time good thing we have Luck!

I think he did OP

Yep read my point about the two point try, he played huge in the second half. 

I want to be clear I didn't say he couldn't in fact said in a post before the game that I thought he would.  It took them sometime to adjust like I thought they would.  Hilton made his largest case yet to being the Colts future number one WR and the future is here now. 

we need to do something asap about the oline and wide receivers we are gonna get luck seriously injured and we cant rely on TY to do everything on recieving side of the ball, dont know what options are available now since the trade deadline has past, Whalen doesnt seem like a long term option along with DHB getting injured and consistently dropping passes and the line was put on blast

Luck was pressured all night, and badly. He was hit constantly, harassed, and pressured on all fronts. What does he do? He relaxes, continues to make plays, and leads the Colts to a victory, his 10th fourth quarter comeback.

He gave everyone a chance to elevate their play and guys like TY, And Fleener stepped up.

Luck was pressured all night, and badly. He was hit constantly, harassed, and pressured on all fronts. What does he do? He relaxes, continues to make plays, and leads the Colts to a victory, his 10th fourth quarter comeback.

He gave everyone a chance to elevate their play and guys like TY, And Fleener stepped up.

Excellently put, tonight our team really showed character in the face of adversity, and never, ever gave up.  Just kept on fighting, I loved our guy's effort tonight.  What a win, GO COLTS!!

That last part is exactly what I was talking about.  Like I said before the game I thought he would do it.  I never meant to imply he wouldn't I was just saying with Reggie going down for us to have the season most of us are expecting he was going to have to.  He did a great job of doing it tonight. 

I know we don't want another injury but Hilton took off about the time DHB went down.  Before that Luck seemed to be looking DHB's way first.  With him out Hilton became the guy by default.  I think after tonight Hilton has proven it needs to go his way first and DHB's way second.  Honestly I am over DHB at this point.  I was all for his signing at the time.  Now I want him gone, he looks like he is more interested in calling for a flag from the ref or avoiding contact than he is about catching the ball.  I think he's just one of those guys who has gotten by on his speed most of his life and doesn't work as hard as he probably should. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw Lucks QBR is still only 28.7 without Reggie on the field this season. This is a real issue. It's only two games in but Luck is clearly struggling without Reggie. We have to protect him up front so he has a chance to make others better but Luck has to start playing better too.

Just saw Lucks QBR is still only 28.7 without Reggie on the field this season. This is a real issue. It's only two games in but Luck is clearly struggling without Reggie. We have to protect him up front so he has a chance to make others better but Luck has to start playing better too.

Defense has to step up and keep the game close.  

I didn't get to see the game but I'm guessing the main reason for the 3 picks last week was that the Colts where so far behind that Andrew started trying to force things.  

If we keep the game close Andrew doesn't feel that he has to force every throw.  

Defense has to step up and keep the game close.

I didn't get to see the game but I'm guessing the main reason for the 3 picks last week was that the Colts where so far behind that Andrew started trying to force things.

If we keep the game close Andrew doesn't feel that he has to force every throw.

defense was down 7-0 before they were even on the field Sunday and then forced a three and out and fumble recovery which the offense did nothing with. In fact of the first 21 points given up only 7 came with the defense on the field. The offense has to stop going three and out so much so early in games.

defense was down 7-0 before they were even on the field Sunday and then forced a three and out and fumble recovery which the offense did nothing with. In fact of the first 21 points given up only 7 came with the defense on the field. The offense has to stop going three and out so much so early in games.

that's right I forgot that Luck gave up a fumble recovery for a TD and Special teams gave up a TD as well.