Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck has to make others better.

GoColts8818

I don't see anything he can do better other than look for the open receiver but often there is no one open. Sometimes he forces it and over throws because the line gives him 0 time and the receiver isn't open. IMO the rest of the team needs to step up. Receivers have to get open and hold onto the ball. The Oline needs to give Luck some semblance of protection. Luck just needs to go through all of his progressions when possible.

I don't see anything he can do better other than look for the open receiver but often there is no one open. Sometimes he forces it and over throws because the line gives him 0 time and the receiver isn't open. IMO the rest of the team needs to step up. Receivers have to get open and hold onto the ball. The Oline needs to give Luck some semblance of protection. Luck just needs to go through all of his progressions when possible.

Agree, and along that same line, I didn't get to watch the Rams game, but in the Texans game, it appeared that almost none of the receivers were getting any space whatsoever from the defenders outside of TY. The combination of a porous OL and a WR core that can't separate is going to make any QB look pedestrian or downright bad, even one as talented as Luck.

Our receiving core, which before the season looked like a strength, has become another liability with the injuries to Wayne and Allen. I worry that this season may become derailed because of injuries. I think we still make the playoffs, but I am not sure we win a single playoff game even with the first at home.

Andrew cant make Trent Richardson better

Yes he can. Several ways. Complete more of his passes..being more of a threat in the passing games will cause teams to drop more into coverage. He can switch out of bad plays. He is the LEADER of the offense...its up to him to put players in positions to make plays.

Like I said above...its on him. It may very well be too soon to make this progression but honestly I haven't been super impressed with his ability to read defenses and call audibles and get us into better plays. He has a great arm, awesome mobility, makes defenders miss and extends plays. He has been much better with his accuracy and avoiding bad throws and turnovers but one thing he needs to step up is reading defense before the snap...not just during the play. Rotate blocking schemes, move a running back, reading a blitz, getting it to the right guy or changing plays. He isn't doing that well...and so far he is living off his INCREDIBLE TALENT. He is loaded with that but to be great...and to help all those around him and raise them up...you have to be able to do a little what Tom and Peyton do...and thats put players in positions to make plays. All Pep can do is call a play he believes will be successful...but once the defense lines up its up to Andrew to check out. I know its a lot to ask and maybe he is doing this a lot but on top of everyone doing their part and doing better I think Andrew will have to do better in this too....at least if this year is going to turn out special.

Yes he can. Several ways. Complete more of his passes..being more of a threat in the passing games will cause teams to drop more into coverage. He can switch out of bad plays. He is the LEADER of the offense...its up to him to put players in positions to make plays.

Like I said above...its on him. It may very well be too soon to make this progression but honestly I haven't been super impressed with his ability to read defenses and call audibles and get us into better plays. He has a great arm, awesome mobility, makes defenders miss and extends plays. He has been much better with his accuracy and avoiding bad throws and turnovers but one thing he needs to step up is reading defense before the snap...not just during the play. Rotate blocking schemes, move a running back, reading a blitz, getting it to the right guy or changing plays. He isn't doing that well...and so far he is living off his INCREDIBLE TALENT. He is loaded with that but to be great...and to help all those around him and raise them up...you have to be able to do a little what Tom and Peyton do...and thats put players in positions to make plays. All Pep can do is call a play he believes will be successful...but once the defense lines up its up to Andrew to check out. I know its a lot to ask and maybe he is doing this a lot but on top of everyone doing their part and doing better I think Andrew will have to do better in this too....at least if this year is going to turn out special.

Being his 2nd year, he could be better before the snap but that generally comes with experience. I can't expect Luck to become better at something that comes with experience in a matter of weeks, what I can expect is the team to be better at the basics.

It's a shame it's to late to trade him to the eagles for foles lol

I know this was merely a joke and I'm not saying I would support a 1 for 1 trade right now, but before that draft my preference was to trade the #1 pick to the Browns, then trade down again from the #4 spot and use all the additional picks to beef up the OL, grab a couple skill players and then take Foles in the 2nd or 3rd.  

Don't get me wrong, I like Luck a lot but I never believed all the hype about him being "head and shoulders" above the rest.  :)

I know this was merely a joke and I'm not saying I would support a 1 for 1 trade right now, but before that draft my preference was to trade the #1 pick to the Browns, then trade down again from the #4 spot and use all the additional picks to beef up the OL, grab a couple skill players and then take Foles in the 2nd or 3rd.  

Don't get me wrong, I like Luck a lot but I never believed all the hype about him being "head and shoulders" above the rest.   :)

Thank god that didn't happen.

It's a shame it's to late to trade him to the eagles for foles lol

I hope you're kidding since you put the "lol". Foles has had like 3 good games and quite a few stinkers. Foles would be dead by this point behind our terrible O-line. 

I get the fact that Luck has struggled some, but he is without his security blanket in Reggie and the other WR's have pretty much been awful with the exception of TY. The receivers are not getting open and Luck has zero time to throw the ball before he has 3 defenders on him. They can not run the ball to save their lives because of the bad blocking and Richardson so far has sucked. I honestly do not think there is another QB in the game right now that would be doing any better than Luck with the same personnel.

I hope you're kidding since you put the "lol". Foles has had like 3 good games and quite a few stinkers. Foles would be dead by this point behind our terrible O-line. 

I get the fact that Luck has struggled some, but he is without his security blanket in Reggie and the other WR's have pretty much been awful with the exception of TY. The receivers are not getting open and Luck has zero time to throw the ball before he has 3 defenders on him. They can not run the ball to save their lives because of the bad blocking and Richardson so far has sucked. I honestly do not think there is another QB in the game right now that would be doing any better than Luck with the same personnel.

Yes the comment was in jest, his O-line does a good job of protecting him and good lord I have no idea how his receivers are always wide open. Even when they aren't his almost Int's fall into his Wr's hands for the touchdown, SMH I don't get it.

He's had several average games, a few very good games and 2 stinkers... and that's going back to last year. :)

Yes the comment was in jest, his O-line does a good job of protecting him and good lord I have no idea how his receivers are always wide open. Even when they aren't his almost Int's fall into his Wr's hands for the touchdown, SMH I don't get it.

I thought you were joking but just needed to make sure. :)  Yeah, some guys have all the Luck(no pun intended).