Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Some young Dolphins player feel like they're being shaken down for money by veterans.

Dustin

Phillbin and Tannehill need to be the guys who make sure that crap doesn't go to far. This is a odd situation, but there are certain "leadership" obligations in team sports and internal squabels shouldn't be aired. 

Totally Cliche' to point out, but this wouldn't happen on a squad Peyton was on.

Why would anyone pay money when requested?

I would choke a vet to death right in front of his children before he'd see one cent of my money.

I don't feel sorry for weak suckers that let people push them around.

Youve nevet dealt with bullying one day of your life, have you?

When a group of older, more established guys approaches someone completely new and threatens them physical harm if they dont pay for things, its mental domination. You dont think about your money, you just resolve the situation peacefully to remain unharmed. You feel like you have no choice.

The fact people are coming out to defend something that is illegal in the state of Indiana amazes me.

Why would anyone pay money when requested?

I would choke a vet to death right in front of his children before he'd see one cent of my money.

I don't feel sorry for weak suckers that let people push them around.

Sounds like it might have been a whole group of people... and when you are in that kind of situation with no place to go you want to rectify it asap. The problem is no one should ever be in that position. As a kid, or an adult.

Youve nevet dealt with bullying one day of your life, have you?

When a group of older, more established guys approaches someone completely new and threatens them physical harm if they dont pay for things, its mental domination. You dont think about your money, you just resolve the situation peacefully to remain unharmed. You feel like you have no choice.

The fact people are coming out to defend something that is illegal in the state of Indiana amazes me.

I grew up in the Westside ghettos of Tuscan Arizona as 1 of only 2 white families in the neighborhood. I moved from there to Mars Hill Indianapolis, a rather rough neck of the woods back in the early 1980's. 

Our first day there, my older brother was knocked out and had his bike stolen. So yeah, I've dealt with bullies my whole life. And I did what my pops told me. Pop 'em in the nose, just get a lick in, and they'll never mess with you again even if you get your butt whooped. 

PS: I'm not defending the behavior. I'm attacking a grown man for playing into this kid behavior and allowing himself to get bullied as a man. 

Sounds like it might have been a whole group of people... and when you are in that kind of situation with no place to go you want to rectify it asap. The problem is no one should ever be in that position. As a kid, or an adult.

I agree. This is why I've always been an outspoken opponent of hazing. I've argued about it here before. People say it's just fun, a way of earning your stripes. No....no it's not. Miami front office deserves this mess for ignoring it. NEVER should hazing of any kind be allowed, not even the passive form like having to carry other players helmets off the field. 

:facepalm:  :facepalm:

Go ahead and facepalm. If I ever see you on the street, I'm takin' your lunch money.smileys-beating-and-fighting-263316.gif

I grew up in the Westside ghettos of Tuscan Arizona as 1 of only 2 white families in the neighborhood. I moved from there to Mars Hill Indianapolis, a rather rough neck of the woods back in the early 1980's.

Our first day there, my older brother was knocked out and had his bike stolen. So yeah, I've dealt with bullies my whole life. And I did what my pops told me. Pop 'em in the nose, just get a lick in, and they'll never mess with you again even if you get your butt whooped.

PS: I'm not defending the behavior. I'm attacking a grown man for playing into this kid behavior and allowing himself to get bullied as a man.

Because blaming the victim is so much better than acknowledging the problem in the culture.

Edit: read your post right before mine nullifying this. I guess my only issue is the idea violence should be the answer rather than it never happening.

Because blaming the victim is so much better than acknowledging the problem in the culture.

Edit: read your post right before mine nullifying this. I guess my only issue is the idea violence should be the answer rather than it never happening.

Still gonna happen. It's best to learn how to deal with bullies when you're a kid. I had a job once where they told me the new guy has to get coffee for everyone his first 2 weeks. 

I got myself a coffee. When asked what was up....."Get your own coffee and kiss my butt or fire me". Never was asked for thing after that. 

And I don't mean to "blame the victim". If you're a man....and you're getting bullied......you probably deserve it for being a fish. Don't be a fish. Be a man. 

I agree. This is why I've always been an outspoken opponent of hazing. I've argued about it here before. People say it's just fun, a way of earning your stripes. No....no it's not. Miami front office deserves this mess for ignoring it. NEVER should hazing of any kind be allowed, not even the passive form like having to carry other players helmets off the field.

Go ahead and facepalm. If I ever see you on the street, I'm takin' your lunch money.smileys-beating-and-fighting-263316.gif

I'm ok with mild hazing. In high school, seniors would make a group of freshman say seniors are great 3 times. No big deal. But it far too often goes too far. So I think its better to not have it at all if you can't self police it - and for kids, they usually can't.

I'm ok with mild hazing. In high school, seniors would make a group of freshman say seniors are great 3 times. No big deal. But it far too often goes too far. So I think its better to not have it at all if you can't self police it - and for kids, they usually can't.

When it comes to kids, NO...it should never be allowed. Much worse when I was a kid. The school admin wanted NOTHING to do with any issues you were having out of school. I remember pleading with the principal that a large group of Mexican kids were calling me a "gringo" and they were gonna jump me after school. 

They didn't care that the problem started in school. I got beaten so bad, just for being white. My mom called the police, horrified at the sight of her 8 year old son with two black eyes and a split lip. The police refused to talk to school officials about failing to report it. 

The bullying continued, so I caught the defacto leader by himself and beat his bad butt so bad, I got kicked out of school for a week. I told his little buddy he'd be next if it kept up. It did not continue. 

Humans are animals. Predaceous animals. 

Still gonna happen. It's best to learn how to deal with bullies when you're a kid. I had a job once where they told me the new guy has to get coffee for everyone his first 2 weeks. 

I got myself a coffee. When asked what was up....."Get your own coffee and kiss my butt or fire me". Never was asked for thing after that. 

And I don't mean to "blame the victim". If you're a man....and you're getting bullied......you probably deserve it for being a fish. Don't be a fish. Be a man. 

You're really being insensitive and silly. Calling a 22 year old kid whose probably very intimidated a "weak sucker " is not impressing anyone. Nor is the tough guy stuff.

You're really being insensitive and silly. Calling a 22 year old kid whose probably very intimidated a "weak sucker " is not impressing anyone. Nor is the tough guy stuff.

I can't call it, dude. A grown man fleeing from his workplace due to bullying? This is exactly why people need to stop raising their kids to be soft, padding every corner along the way.  

Lots of truth...even if people don't like.

And let's not act like Martin is in prison. He's on a football team full of millionaires.....what are they going to do? Hide his shoulder pads?

Lots of truth...even if people don't like.

And let's not act like Martin is in prison. He's on a football team full of millionaires.....what are they going to do? Hide his shoulder pads?

That's kinda where I was aiming. They aren't going to beat the snot out of him behind the gymnasium after school. 

I may be wrong, but if I were to venture a guess; I'd say that Martin was shielded as a youth and due to his size, likely wasn't picked on before and didn't know how to react to it like a man. 

I think it sucks that behavior like this is passively allowed by some teams. 

That's kinda where I was aiming. They aren't going to beat the snot out of him behind the gymnasium after school. 

I may be wrong, but if I were to venture a guess; I'd say that Martin was shielded as a youth and due to his size, likely wasn't picked on before and didn't know how to react to it like a man. 

I think it sucks that behavior like this is passively allowed by some teams.

You would think a veteran would have stepped in at some point. Sad to say, but when in groups men can be like piranhas.

Of course, a lot of this can be nonsense and the media is just running with it. Hard to say what the real story is at this point.

When it comes to kids, NO...it should never be allowed. Much worse when I was a kid. The school admin wanted NOTHING to do with any issues you were having out of school. I remember pleading with the principal that a large group of Mexican kids were calling me a "gringo" and they were gonna jump me after school.

They didn't care that the problem started in school. I got beaten so bad, just for being white. My mom called the police, horrified at the sight of her 8 year old son with two black eyes and a split lip. The police refused to talk to school officials about failing to report it.

The bullying continued, so I caught the defacto leader by himself and beat his bad butt so bad, I got kicked out of school for a week. I told his little buddy he'd be next if it kept up. It did not continue.

Humans are animals. Predaceous animals.

Yeah like said, kids are different. They aren't as aware of the harm they're doing. And for kids in violent neighborhoods, its even worse. Sad, really.

I can't call it, dude. A grown man fleeing from his workplace due to bullying? This is exactly why people need to stop raising their kids to be soft, padding every corner along the way.  

I'm not saying that's it's admirable for Martin to flee his workplace. Just saying to have more distain for the victim than the predator shows zero compassion. I pay for both my grand kids to take martial arts and agree that kids should be raised not to be soft. 

I'm not saying that's it's admirable for Martin to flee his workplace. Just saying to have more distain for the victim than the predator shows zero compassion. I pay for both my grand kids to take martial arts and agree that kids should be raised not to be soft. 

To be clear, I blame the aggressors and the Dolphins staff more-so than I would blame the victim.

As well, I don't want to make it sound like every problem of this nature can be solved with violence. There's just a certain way an adult should carry themselves in this predatory, every-man/woman for himself/herself society. Running away only makes you more of a mark. Think about it...this will follow Martin through his whole career. 

To be clear, I blame the aggressors and the Dolphins staff more-so than I would blame the victim.

As well, I don't want to make it sound like every problem of this nature can be solved with violence. There's just a certain way an adult should carry themselves in this predatory, every-man/woman for himself/herself society. Running away only makes you more of a mark. Think about it...this will follow Martin through his whole career. 

I'm good with that ... I'm sure your life would have gone on fine if I wasn't. Just thought your first post was a bit insensitive. And it could also be that Martin is off his rocker too. In any event the guy (Martin) has problems but it could be something that he just can't help. Very possible that no one in the dolphin camp did anything that egregious , maybe was just normal stuff that goes on who knows....Or it could be that it went a bit overboard and someone should have given him a hand.

I'm good with that ... I'm sure your life would have gone on fine if I wasn't. Just thought your first post was a bit insensitive. And it could also be that Martin is off his rocker too.

It's just a pet peeve of mine; When men act like children. You mention the word "insensitive"...and I find it ironic. Because it appears to me that Martin's problem was him being too sensitive. When people treat you like that, it's an alpha male maneuver. You treat people like that like flies....shoo them off. You don't act like it's a swarm of bees attacking you. That sends bullies into pack-mode. 

Due to the reports, I'm assuming Martin went the 'snitch' route and acted like a baby about it. 

Phillbin and Tannehill need to be the guys who make sure that crap doesn't go to far. This is a odd situation, but there are certain "leadership" obligations in team sports and internal squabels shouldn't be aired. 

Totally Cliche' to point out, but this wouldn't happen on a squad Peyton was on.

It's on Philbin. Tannehill is just beginning his sophomore year.  He doesn't have the tenure to deal with veteran players on that level.  He can command the huddle now, that's about it. Vet players with Integrity need to step up, not a just graduated from that rookie treatment QB. (if he even has, Martin was beginning second year too when he quit.)

When there is potential criminal items, yes it needs to be public and handled by the justice system, not the Good 'Ole Boy network.  Extortion (having to pay $15,000 for not wanting to participate in a Las Vegas trip), physical harm threats to you or family, and potential (racially induced) hate crimes qualify to bring this out. It is over the line for the lockerroom court system.

This is why Miami sucks. The locker room in any sport should be a place of team and confidence building. If it's not there's a serious lack of leadership. Cogs is a * and I feel for Martin. There's nothing wrong with Martin for not having a killer instinct. Many rookies and young players have become THE leader by slamming the bully before he can utter a word. Old sayings are old because they are true. If there's not a huge physical mismatch the best thing to do is pick the biggest bully and just bounce with nothing said. The fact that Martin doesn't have this type of mental makeup should be a plus a plus for the Fins. Gentle giants have something to offer a team as well as the loud guy. This screams lack of leadership from the coach down.

Congratulations Rambo. 

Ugh....

It's on Philbin. Tannehill is just beginning his sophomore year.  He doesn't have the tenure to deal with veteran players on that level.  He can command the huddle now, that's about it. Vet players with Integrity need to step up, not a just graduated from that rookie treatment QB. (if he even has, Martin was beginning second year too when he quit.)

When there is potential criminal items, yes it needs to be public and handled by the justice system, not the Good 'Ole Boy network.  Extortion (having to pay $15,000 for not wanting to participate in a Las Vegas trip), physical harm threats to you or family, and potential (racially induced) hate crimes qualify to bring this out. It is over the line for the lockerroom court system.

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it." Einstine said that. I don't think he was a football fan, but his quote is applicable in this situation.