Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The honeymoon is over in Washington

jvan1973

That is about the silliest article I have read. What hypocrisy. He basically says the media created Griffin and the Redskins and hyped him and then he lived up to the hype last year, got injured and is now somehow to blame for the Redskins becoming RG and the Redskins? What!?  Isn't every team defined by its QB? Pretty sure the Broncos are the Manning Broncos and the Pats are the Brady Pats. And what coach treats his superstar QB the same as every other player? And I have never heard Robert himself refer to himself as RG or RG3. That was a media creation. One they were all too happy to bestow on him. You can't have it both ways. Pump the guy up when he is playing ROTY football and then say he is was over-hyped when he struggles coming off of major knee surgery.

That is about the silliest article I have read. What hypocrisy. He basically says the media created Griffin and the Redskins and hyped him and then he lived up to the hype last year, got injured and is now somehow to blame for the Redskins becoming RG and the Redskins? What!? Isn't every team defined by its QB? Pretty sure the Broncos are the Manning Broncos and the Pats are the Brady Pats. And what coach treats his superstar QB the same as every other player? And I have never heard Robert himself refer to himself as RG or RG3. That was a media creation. One they were all too happy to bestow on him. You can't have it both ways. Pump the guy up when he is playing ROTY football and then say he is was over-hyped when he struggles coming off of major knee surgery.

Garcon says the passing attack sucks. I think he is wishing he stayed in Indy

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24151052/garcon-on-redskins-if-you-suck-at-passing-you-suck-at-passing

Griffin is being asked to throw the ball 12.2 more times per game on average then last year, They were a shorter passing attack last year when he did throw so there will be some growing pains with him learning the position, Couple that with the fact that the defense has been crap and ya have many players with talent but that are still coming together.......I would have liked if Garcon stayed in Indy though

That is about the silliest article I have read. What hypocrisy. He basically says the media created Griffin and the Redskins and hyped him and then he lived up to the hype last year, got injured and is now somehow to blame for the Redskins becoming RG and the Redskins? What!?  Isn't every team defined by its QB? Pretty sure the Broncos are the Manning Broncos and the Pats are the Brady Pats. And what coach treats his superstar QB the same as every other player? And I have never heard Robert himself refer to himself as RG or RG3. That was a media creation. One they were all too happy to bestow on him. You can't have it both ways. Pump the guy up when he is playing ROTY football and then say he is was over-hyped when he struggles coming off of major knee surgery.

It's like you've never read anything from Mike Florio before. He's an *. 

However, he links to a couple Washington area columnists who acknowledge questions about Griffin's ability as a true passer. One comment kind of summarizes what I've been saying about Griffin: 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/robert-griffin-iiis-passing-problems-raise-questions-about-his-ability-to-become-elite/2013/10/30/140ab3f2-417e-11e3-8b74-d89d714ca4dd_story.html

On many plays this season, Griffin has been a one-read quarterback, usually locking in on top wideout Pierre Garcon or impressive rookie tight end Jordan Reed and failing to find an alternative when they are covered. Frequently, he waits for receivers to complete routes instead of releasing the ball in anticipation of them breaking free from coverage, giving defensive backs more time to disrupt plays.

His book hasn't been written yet. A lot of young quarterbacks are having immediate success, and some people are starting to grade these young guys as if they're seasoned vets already. They're not, as impressive as they've been. It's not unreasonable for a second year quarterback to still be adapting to the pro game, and even to have some setbacks as the passing schemes get more advanced. Add in Griffin's injuries, and it's not surprising that he's struggling.

Still, from my perspective, Griffin has a lot of developing to do as a pro passer before's really one of the best in the game. That fact was lost in the hype, I think.

Sounds like the Redskins have issues with players buying in...

The premise of the article is a bit silly..RGIII is slumping as many 2nd year QBs do.. especially ones that run as often as he did last season.

I'm a bit surprised that his teammates are being so negative in the press... I know Pierre didn't say anything too inflammatory, but it irks me to hear a guy say things like "I can only run the routes, try to make separation. That's all I can really do."... It isn't that he is wrong, its just that his QB is in his 2nd year and shouldn't have to deal with his receivers criticizing him (in a roundabout way) in the media. It makes Garcon look a bit petty and maybe even jealous that another player is taking his shine... I agree with him, but he should keep his mouth shut... If he would have been willing to play for a reasonable contract, then he'd be the #1 receiver on a division-leading team as we speak...

Skins should hire an O-coordinator that players love to follow like we have with our HC....

It's like you've never read anything from Mike Florio before. He's an *. 

However, he links to a couple Washington area columnists who acknowledge questions about Griffin's ability as a true passer. One comment kind of summarizes what I've been saying about Griffin: 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/robert-griffin-iiis-passing-problems-raise-questions-about-his-ability-to-become-elite/2013/10/30/140ab3f2-417e-11e3-8b74-d89d714ca4dd_story.html

His book hasn't been written yet. A lot of young quarterbacks are having immediate success, and some people are starting to grade these young guys as if they're seasoned vets already. They're not, as impressive as they've been. It's not unreasonable for a second year quarterback to still be adapting to the pro game, and even to have some setbacks as the passing schemes get more advanced. Add in Griffin's injuries, and it's not surprising that he's struggling.

Still, from my perspective, Griffin has a lot of developing to do as a pro passer before's really one of the best in the game. That fact was lost in the hype, I think.

lol. So true. I guess I should come to expect it by now.

I just dislike the fact that they want to now paint him as a "me first" guy when his bold personality is why they celebrated him last year. I suppose when you are winning everything is all good and when you are losing everything is bad.

For sure Griff has a lot to work on and I tend to lean toward dw49's belief that Shanny is trying to win now and not developing Griff the way he should be. Some of that may be based on personnel however and right now the Skins as a team are just plain bad.

Sounds like the Redskins have issues with players buying in...

The premise of the article is a bit silly..RGIII is slumping as many 2nd year QBs do.. especially ones that run as often as he did last season.

I'm a bit surprised that his teammates are being so negative in the press... I know Pierre didn't say anything too inflammatory, but it irks me to hear a guy say things like "I can only run the routes, try to make separation. That's all I can really do."... It isn't that he is wrong, its just that his QB is in his 2nd year and shouldn't have to deal with his receivers criticizing him (in a roundabout way) in the media. It makes Garcon look a bit petty and maybe even jealous that another player is taking his shine... I agree with him, but he should keep his mouth shut... If he would have been willing to play for a reasonable contract, then he'd be the #1 receiver on a division-leading team as we speak...

Skins should hire an O-coordinator that players love to follow like we have with our HC....

Youre asking a father to fire his son. We all saw how that worked in the Indy front office with the Polians. The Shanahans are the problem in Washington, not RG3. It doesnt take much to see that.

The NFL really needs nepotizim rules...

Youre asking a father to fire his son. We all saw how that worked in the Indy front office with the Polians. The Shanahans are the problem in Washington, not RG3. It doesnt take much to see that.

Lane Kiffin fired his dad...

It's more like the owners need to be a little smarter. Look what Bill's boy did to a very good Colt roster.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/31/washington-post-calls-out-rg3/

Things some of us have been saying for quite some time

This is the part that stuck out to me. I've been saying the same thing for quite a while now.

Sally Jenkins of the Post explores the more important question — whether Griffin has become an “unteachable know-it-all” who will always find someone else to blame for his failure to become what many in D.C. had already proclaimed him to be.

I can see it in his mannerisms and by the things he says. He thought(still thinks) that he's already great and others are dragging him down. We'll see if he decides to lose his ego and start trying to become a real NFL QB, time will tell, but I wouldn't count on it.

Whether it was Shanahan or Daniel Snyder, who made the decision to give up 3 first round draft picks should have his head examined.  It was prolly Snyder who always has wanted to pay too much for one player who was supposed to be the answer to all that teams problems. 

Both the CowPokes and Skins have owners that are their teams worst enemies.  It doesn't seem to bother Jerry Jones though.  JJ just seems to want to get his mug on TV and losing games doesn't bother him as much as most of us. 

Whether it was Shanahan or Daniel Snyder, who made the decision to give up 3 first round draft picks should have his head examined. It was prolly Snyder who always has wanted to pay too much for one player who was supposed to be the answer to all that teams problems.

Both the CowPokes and Skins have owners that are their teams worst enemies. It doesn't seem to bother Jerry Jones though. JJ just seems to want to get his mug on TV and losing games doesn't bother him as much as most of us.

I dont recall, but I believe Snyder surrendered the ability to make personelle decisions to Shanny. Not saying he couldnt have said "get either RG3 or Luck at all costs" in that draft, but I believe Shanahan is the guy who pulled the trigger. Dont quote me on that though lol.

Whether it was Shanahan or Daniel Snyder, who made the decision to give up 3 first round draft picks should have his head examined.  It was prolly Snyder who always has wanted to pay too much for one player who was supposed to be the answer to all that teams problems. 

Both the CowPokes and Skins have owners that are their teams worst enemies.  It doesn't seem to bother Jerry Jones though.  JJ just seems to want to get his mug on TV and losing games doesn't bother him as much as most of us. 

Given how much the Falcons gave up for Julio Jones, the price for Griffin wasn't that much higher. For the second pick, and a quarterback. And despite the wrinkles, I think Griffin will be a really good quarterback, assuming he makes certain adjustments to his game. 

Right now, he's falling back into some bad habits, his footwork isn't up to code, his arm angle is inconsistent, he's not stepping into throws (probably a subconscious thing having to do with his knee), etc. He's actually regressed as a passer. I don't doubt that those things can be fixed, because he's already shown better mechanics than he's showing now. A couple of his throws on Sunday reminded me of Matt Saracen in Friday Night Lights... 

But he does have the stuff to be really good. I think the Redskins will be okay with their decision.

Given how much the Falcons gave up for Julio Jones, the price for Griffin wasn't that much higher. For the second pick, and a quarterback. And despite the wrinkles, I think Griffin will be a really good quarterback, assuming he makes certain adjustments to his game. 

Right now, he's falling back into some bad habits, his footwork isn't up to code, his arm angle is inconsistent, he's not stepping into throws (probably a subconscious thing having to do with his knee), etc. He's actually regressed as a passer. I don't doubt that those things can be fixed, because he's already shown better mechanics than he's showing now. A couple of his throws on Sunday reminded me of Matt Saracen in Friday Night Lights... 

But he does have the stuff to be really good. I think the Redskins will be okay with their decision.

Agree . Also the price was pushed a bit as they were competing with Cleveland who had more ammunition in that draft. 

They really wouldn't have been in this situation if they had just put Kirk Cousins in the playoff game.

They also wouldn't have made it worse for the franchise if they had put Cousins in at the beginning of the season.

They could literally have been like atleast 4-3 right now with a healthy RG3 coming back this weekend. Dumb decisions they put themselves through 

They really wouldn't have been in this situation if they had just put Kirk Cousins in the playoff game.

They also wouldn't have made it worse for the franchise if they had put Cousins in at the beginning of the season.

They could literally have been like atleast 4-3 right now with a healthy RG3 coming back this weekend. Dumb decisions they put themselves through

In a way, Griffin forced their hand to play him at the beggining of the year with the publicized workouts and constant declarations of '100%'. There would have been a riot in DC if Cousins started the season.

The media hyped him all of the way to Rookie Of The Year last season. Anyone paying attention last year knew that Luck was head and shoulders above all of the other young QB's. RGIII's first 6 passes were either at the line of scrimmage or behind the line of scrimmage and people wondered why his completion rate was so much higher than Luck's who was throwing the ball 20 yards down the field more often than any other QB in the game. That was not more than just any other young QB, but more than any NFL QB period. 

In a way, Griffin forced their hand to play him at the beggining of the year with the publicized workouts and constant declarations of '100%'. There would have been a riot in DC if Cousins started the season.

I honestly think that maybe Griffin is afraid he is going to lose his job to Cousins. Im sure he knew he wasn't ready but trying to play hero. He should know that his job will not be taken in DC. Cousins will be the product of another franchise but not DC.

I honestly think that maybe Griffin is afraid he is going to lose his job to Cousins. Im sure he knew he wasn't ready but trying to play hero. He should know that his job will not be taken in DC. Cousins will be the product of another franchise but not DC.

Then Cousins is doing exactly what he was drafted to do. Keep Griffin competitive and working, and be the insurance policy if he gets injured or flat out fails.

WOW that is pretty bold for a WR to say, I mean I like Garcon, hated to see him go, but you made your bed; now you have to lie in it.

As far as RGIII is concerned, the kid has talent no question but the media once again in all of their glory decided to pump this kids ego up the size of Texas, now after the injury, rehab and this shaky start the kids world may be crashing down around them.  

Snyder should have never hired Shanny and his son.  They should have found someone who could really help the kid develop instead of feeding him to the wolves by bringing in the pistol with him.  They should have let him develop and learn a pro style offense that will teach him how to be a NFL QB versus playin in the backyard.  He is relying on his god given talent and while he's an amazing talent, he's gotta become NFL QB smart as well.  Its all correctable but you gotta have the right coaching staff and ownership.  I think he has neither.  It doesn't matter if you have all the money in the world as an owner if you don't spend it on the right staff.

Poor kid

Now? It was over the minute Shanny tried to kill his boy in the playoffs last year.

Cue the Dan Synder jokes and roll tape.

Did you see how RG reacted when he tweaked the knee against the Broncos?  That Seattle game is at least 70% on him.

RG3 will never be successful as long as his coach or OC are named Shanahan. He may not be after either since Shanahan seems to have no problem putting him in dangerous situations... He was also drafted into a terrible situation because of how much the team gave up to get him.

If you talk a good game, better back it up.  I blame the Redskins for throwing away their future for one player, but I also blame RG3 for staying in the media.  That type of stuff makes you a target for players and the media.  Now, I guess people are becoming fed up.  Shanahan will be the first to go and if RG3 still doesn't pan out, Cousins will be in next.

And I hate when people say "He was placed in a bad situation." when Luck was given a similar situation last year and the media, analysts, and some of us on this board criticized Luck and pointed out his "interceptions".  I refuse to give RG3 any slack when no one wanted to give OUR qb any slack.  You made the bed, now it's time to lay in it.

And the big winner out of all this....The Rams.

Don't you think Shanahan and Dr Andrews played right along with this also ? They both kept talking about how fast he was progressing and how it would not surprise them if he started the opening game.

I agree with you on the "riot" part but not on Griffin "forcing their hand." 

Don't you think Shanahan and Dr Andrews played right along with this also ? They both kept talking about how fast he was progressing and how it would not surprise them if he started the opening game.

I agree with you on the "riot" part but not on Griffin "forcing their hand." 

Griffin doing Jumping Jacks at what looked like some type of Redskins event (forget exactly what it was) forced the hand much more then Shanahan saying he would not be surprised if he started, Shanahan was not saying he would start, saying he would not be surprised if he did is basically saying he did not know for sure at that time, He forced Shanahans hand with the jumping jacks. If Griffin would have layed low and kept a low profile then most level headed Skins fans would have likely taken a wait and see approach (not his strong suit, But media is still going to be media and they would have found a way to keep him in the news regardless, Griffin just has assisted with that at times)

I just love that ESPN's Skip Bayless has been humbled over RG3's lack luster play this season & that Andrew Luck can't so easily be dismissed by him anymore. LOL! 

RG3 is a talented QB & a smart individual. Perhaps, the 2013 season will teach RG3 the importance of regrouping, changing his priorities namely who he listens to, & just get back to playing football with no hype, pomp, or circumstance anymore. 

I don't hate the guy & I still think he can be productive & beneficial to his owner, teammates, & fans in this league. A slice of humble pie goes a long way to resurrecting seasons we wish we could forget. 

327566187_7cwHX-M.jpg