Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question of the Day - 10/30 "Wacky Wednesday"

sb41champs

:woah:   Welcome to the very first "Wacky Wednesday" Question of the Day !! 

You just NEVER KNOW what my fingertips & keyboard will come up with.  Be prepared - be VERY prepared !!

Remembering that scary movies are NOT just about blood & guts - and - special effects:

:woah:   What are the TWO scariest movies you've ever seen ?? 

:headspin:   Next to these two - other movies don't have a "ghost" of a chance of being as scary:

1.  Whatever Happened to Baby Jane

2.  Psycho (the original)

:headspin:   Tip of the hat to Alfred Hitchcock - THE master of scaring the hell out of us WITHOUT gore OR special effects !!

1) The Exorcist.  Never wanted to eat pea soup after seeing that.

2)  Evil Dead (original) 

Honorable mention (scene)  Scarest part of Jaws was Quinn retelling the story of the Indianapolis.  Robert Shaw did a great job with that.  He gave me chills.

The scene in Jaws where Roy is throwing chum out the back of the boat.  The shark just slowly rises up out of the water and looks at him.  I let out a scream in the theatre that they are still taking about in West Lafayette.  And to think my Aunt wanted to see the Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again LOL!!

Open Water- A film about a romantic couple that travels to the Great Barrier Reef to scuba dive & the boating company forgets to pick them up until they are starving, exhausted from wading in the water, & drown/get eaten by sharks.

The film is loosely based on an American couple,Tom and Eileen Lonergan, who died in 1998 & it is shot like a psychological horror documentary. 1st you think no problem the boat crew will see someone missing & pick them up. 1 problem: No one on board does a head count. Next, you realize no one is coming to save you, & finally you acknowledge you are going to die once your muscles can no longer maintain their strength to swim. The movie's silence is the most chilling factor. Your demise is slow, methodical, & inevitable. 

51MVRWKAQFL.jpg

The other psychological horror film that I like is "One Hour Photo" starring actor Robin Williams who plays a lonely middle aged man who works at a Walmart based store who becomes obsessed with 1 family who always brings in their pictures for Sy to develop & Robin Williams character in a desperate need for a family connection begins to stalk them in an unhealthy, unbalanced manner.

It is not a bloody film just a feature that blurs the lines between friendship & loneliness. It is Robin Williams best work as a dark, emotionally tortured villain IMO.  

OneHourPhoto-Poster.jpg?partner=allrovi.

The other psychological horror film that I like is "One Hour Photo" starring actor Robin Williams who plays a lonely middle aged man who works at a Walmart based store who becomes obsessed with 1 family who always brings in their pictures for Sy to develop & Robin Williams character in a desperate need for a family connection begins to stalk them in an unhealthy, unbalanced manner.

It is not a bloody film just a feature that blurs the lines between friendship & loneliness. It is Robin Williams best work as a dark, emotionally tortured villain IMO.  

as opposed to a civilized stalking? :)

1. The Shining

2. Rosemary's Baby

The Shining is one of the best...

Ever heard the theory that The Shining, is Kubrick's "admission" to filming the "fake" moon landing??? Wild Stuff...

here's a passage about it from a quick goggle search

Jay Weidner, who runs a webpage called "Secrets of the Shining,” offers a complicated line of argument for this explanation. Essentially, it boils down to this: in the film, Jack Torrance (played by Jack Nicholson) agrees to manage the gloomy Overlook Hotel with his wife and his son Danny through the long winter season.

Weidner claims that Jack and Danny represent Kubrick himself; the hotel is the U.S. (built on an Indian burial ground, with the manager even wearing a red-white-and-blue suit); and the oncoming winter represents the Cold War against Soviet Russia.

By managing and protecting the hotel (America) against the bitterly cold winter (the Russian threat), Jack Torrance (representing an aspect of Kubrick himself) descends into madness.

Weidner goes into other minutiae to defend his assertion – i.e. ,“Room 237” in the Overlook is the central haunted room (the Moon is an average of 237,000 miles from earth); and the two strange creepy little English girls (ghosts of murder victims) represent NASA’s prior Gemini (twins) space program.

“Room 237 represents the fake lunar set that Stanley had to create to make the lunar landings appear factual,” Weidner writes.

“But really, on this set, and in this room, nothing is real.”

For part of the film, little Danny wears an Apollo 11 T-shirt.

Bear images (the symbol of Russia) are all over the film as well – from stuffed bear toys to a particularly disturbing moment when a well-dressed man appears to be giving fellatio in a hotel bedroom to someone dressed in what looks like a bear-suit.

In the shocking scene where Jack Torrance’s wife realizes that her husband (a struggling writer) has done nothing but repeated the phrase "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" thousands of times – Weidner suggests that “All” actually refers to “A11” or “Apollo 11.”

Thus, Torrance’s agreement with the caretakers of the Overlook is a metaphor for Kubrick’s agreement with the U.S. government to stage a huge hoax (the moon landings).

In addition, to solidify the link between fiction and reality, as Jack Torrance deteriorates mentally and physically, his hair becomes long and unkempt and he dresses slovenly – that is, resembling Kubrick’s physical appearance at the time.

Aside from the Kubrick angle, conspiracy theorists have amassed a huge trove of evidence attesting to their fervent belief that the NASA space missions were all faked – their “facts” range from the compelling to the absurd.

1. Exorcist....I've met Linda Blair and she is super nice, but possessedRegan MacNeil was terrifying.

2. Exorcist III only mainly because of the nurse station scene....The first Parnormal Activity was scary on the first viewing...now it's borderline funny.

:blueshoe:   Jaws - I am from the central Florida town of St. Cloud.  I REFUSED to go see that movie - and - still have NOT seen it.  I did NOT want anything to mess with my love of the beach !!

:blueshoe:   Sammy Terry - I am not an "Indy native" - but - my grandparents lived in Martinsville & Gosport.  So - when I was a kid we visited all the time - and - Sammy Terry was a "must watch" !!

The Shining is one of the best...

Ever heard the theory that The Shining, is Kubrick's "admission" to filming the "fake" moon landing??? Wild Stuff...

here's a passage about it from a quick goggle search

Jay Weidner, who runs a webpage called "Secrets of the Shining,” offers a complicated line of argument for this explanation. Essentially, it boils down to this: in the film, Jack Torrance (played by Jack Nicholson) agrees to manage the gloomy Overlook Hotel with his wife and his son Danny through the long winter season.

Weidner claims that Jack and Danny represent Kubrick himself; the hotel is the U.S. (built on an Indian burial ground, with the manager even wearing a red-white-and-blue suit); and the oncoming winter represents the Cold War against Soviet Russia.

By managing and protecting the hotel (America) against the bitterly cold winter (the Russian threat), Jack Torrance (representing an aspect of Kubrick himself) descends into madness.

Weidner goes into other minutiae to defend his assertion – i.e. ,“Room 237” in the Overlook is the central haunted room (the Moon is an average of 237,000 miles from earth); and the two strange creepy little English girls (ghosts of murder victims) represent NASA’s prior Gemini (twins) space program.

“Room 237 represents the fake lunar set that Stanley had to create to make the lunar landings appear factual,” Weidner writes.

“But really, on this set, and in this room, nothing is real.”

For part of the film, little Danny wears an Apollo 11 T-shirt.

Bear images (the symbol of Russia) are all over the film as well – from stuffed bear toys to a particularly disturbing moment when a well-dressed man appears to be giving fellatio in a hotel bedroom to someone dressed in what looks like a bear-suit.

In the shocking scene where Jack Torrance’s wife realizes that her husband (a struggling writer) has done nothing but repeated the phrase "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" thousands of times – Weidner suggests that “All” actually refers to “A11” or “Apollo 11.”

Thus, Torrance’s agreement with the caretakers of the Overlook is a metaphor for Kubrick’s agreement with the U.S. government to stage a huge hoax (the moon landings).

In addition, to solidify the link between fiction and reality, as Jack Torrance deteriorates mentally and physically, his hair becomes long and unkempt and he dresses slovenly – that is, resembling Kubrick’s physical appearance at the time.

Aside from the Kubrick angle, conspiracy theorists have amassed a huge trove of evidence attesting to their fervent belief that the NASA space missions were all faked – their “facts” range from the compelling to the absurd.

Very interesting!  I have never heard of these links to the Shining.  Time to go back and re-watch (although I do remember all the scenes that you referenced here).  Thanks for sharing! 

Very interesting!  I have never heard of these links to the Shining.  Time to go back and re-watch (although I do remember all the scenes that you referenced here).  Thanks for sharing! 

yeah its pretty crazy how the whole timing works out too...

2001 A Space Odyssey released in 1968

U.S. Lands on the Moon in 1969