Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top 5 Defense

Black-Vell

I just wanted to start a topic for those of us that knew we were going to win this game.

I don't care - I be all over these boards daily and I seen people talking crazy - "I'm nervous...." - If you nervous, you should try golf or tennis.

I gotta make one point though - we came into this game with the 6th rated Defense overall. Say that out loud a few times. Heck - say TOP 10 DEFENSE.

So here you go - shut it down - leave a Go Colts - whatever. My QB just snatched the torch from Peyton.  

I just wanted to start a topic for those of us that knew we were going to win this game.

I don't care - I be all over these boards daily and I seen people talking crazy - "I'm nervous...." - If you nervous, you should try golf or tennis.

I gotta make one point though - we came into this game with the 6th rated Defense overall. Say that out loud a few times. Heck - say TOP 10 DEFENSE.

So here you go - shut it down - leave a Go Colts - whatever. My QB just snatched the torch from Peyton.  

So............   which is it?

You titled this thread.....   "Top 5 Defense"

Then,  your post says....   "Heck - say top 10 defense"

All right.....  which is it?

For my two cents.....   it's not top 5.....   not yet at least.

I'll admit they won me over when they went toe-to-toe with Peyton of the lockerroom for three straight three and outs when the offense was struggling to get moving.  We all know how good Manning is adjusting at the half and our defense stepped up the plate and just kept making plays all night.  You have to know at some point tonight Manning had to think to himself where was THIS defense when I was in Indy? 

Credit to the coaches too as bad as the game plan was on Monday Night they have a great game plan for tonight that really had Manning confused till the fourth quarter.  Even then I think we just had so many injuries in the secondary that we just kinda wore down. 

Erik Walden turned in his best game ever in his career

THANK YOU!!!! I know this was a VERY exciting and BIG win but i feel E.Walden had the BIGGEST IMPACT....getting pressure on manning, forcing the int.. and best of all the INCREDIBLY CLUTCH FORCED FUMBLE NEAR THE GOAL LINE.... couldnt have asked for a better performance when it all mattered!!!   :thanks:

THANK YOU!!!! I know this was a VERY exciting and BIG win but i feel E.Walden had the BIGGEST IMPACT....getting pressure on manning, forcing the int.. and best of all the INCREDIBLY CLUTCH FORCED FUMBLE NEAR THE GOAL LINE.... couldnt have asked for a better performance when it all mattered!!!   :thanks:

Also got the safety too.  Walden had a big night. 

So............   which is it?

You titled this thread.....   "Top 5 Defense"

Then,  your post says....   "Heck - say top 10 defense"

All right.....  which is it?

For my two cents.....   it's not top 5.....   not yet at least.

After the game - the NE dude that be with T Dungy said we have the 6th ranked DEF in the league. I projected us into top 5 as we are about to have a week off.

I said top 10 because we have never had a DEF ranked that high so top 10 even sounds crazy.

When was the last time our DEF was ranked higher than the OFF?

You probably KNEW we'd beat San Diego, too.

Rating after 7 games are meaning less..,You dont really think we have one of the tiop 5 defenses in the NFL

Did you see the Miami gamne?

Say calm..we stil have to beat Houston and Tennessee twice..

It feels like we gave up only a couple of field goals to this great Broncos offense and not 33 points, that's how well our defense played. It was great though that Andrew Luck and the offense could score enough points.

No, we gave up 33 points....and they fumbled at the 1-yard line or it would have been 40.

Enjoy the bye week..we won

Rating after 7 games are meaning less..,You dont really think we have one of the tiop 5 defenses in the NFL

I didnt care if we beat SD or DEN. Im not a Colts fan because of our record - & no - I dont go into any season looking to go undefeated. Check the date/time of the OP - obviously it was a feel good moment after a game that had some extra emotion involved.

But its cool - i'll let you get back to looking for threads you disagree with so you can tell us about it 5 days later. 

I went and looked up why R Harrison said we have the 6th ranked DEF - we are #6 in points against - so no - its not overall like i thought at 1st. Its cool - you could have corrected me - but thats not what you do huh. 

I didnt care if we beat SD or DEN. Im not a Colts fan because of our record - & no - I dont go into any season looking to go undefeated. Check the date/time of the OP - obviously it was a feel good moment after a game that had some extra emotion involved.

But its cool - i'll let you get back to looking for threads you disagree with so you can tell us about it 5 days later. 

I went and looked up why R Harrison said we have the 6th ranked DEF - we are #6 in points against - so no - its not overall like i thought at 1st. Its cool - you could have corrected me - but thats not what you do huh.

Perspective..we lost to SD...

we beat Denver....

feel good,..be emotional...enjoy the bye week..

On Inside the NFL this week they gave the top 5 and bottom 5 units in the NFL (basically each offense and defense is rated 1-64, they gave their top 5 and bottom 5 from that list).  Cris Collinsworth had the Colts' D at #5.  I think that's too high for now (in a couple years assuming we resign guys like Vontae we'll be there, but not yet).  I think it was a reactionary rating to being as shocked as we all were at how well the D did against Peyton but I was very happy to see the D getting major love from one of the talking heads many on here love to bash for some reason.

It's ok to say your nervous. That doesn't mean you don't have faith. I'm nervous every game, but I always expect a W. The defense has come along a lot quicker than I expected. Holding Denver to 33 points is actually a pretty impressive feat, in my opinion.  They shut Denver down long enough to allow the offense to put some distance between them.

Not only is our Defense still a Top 10, we are a TOP 5 Defense, we have managed to shut down Peyton Manning, where no one else even stood a blind eye's chance of that feature alone.  I mean look at it like this, a Dallas Cowboys Defense couldn't even force Peyton to punt the ball away just once, the Colts did it all night. Now again the Denver Defense leaves something to be desired but it just shows that no other Defense this season has been able to stop Peyton Manning or hold him down until the finish. The Indianapolis Colts, our Boys in Blue not only stopped him, but they showed him that his season isn't as untouchable as it had seemed up until this point. I wont argue, KC has a better Defense, but we look good, really good... 

We have a top 3 secondary and once Werner comes back our pass rush will be top 10. Still need to improve the run defense to be top 5 right now were right around 10.

Sounds like you are a Werner Fanatic. Ha Ha! I like him too. His pre-draft bio was something like not great at anything, but good at everything. Kinda doubt he will be that much of a difference maker as a pass rusher in the 2nd half of the season, but we should expect him to keep getting better.

Our D coaches are still figuring out how to get the best out of who they got.

To me the D and the O-Line are 2 positions short on talent/experience. That is REALLY Close and very exciting!

No, we gave up 33 points....and they fumbled at the 1-yard line or it would have been 40.

Enjoy the bye week..we won

Denver has the #1 offense in the NFL. They are averaging 42.5 points a game. nearly 500 yards a game. I'd say our defense did an outstanding job against them. 33 points yes but held them 9 points below their average.

You are looking at it backwards.  The media is not known for coddling the Colts.  If the media says we are top 5, then we must be number 1.

Only the Miami Dolphins had a perfect season which means all of the great teams in history lost games in the regular season.  That kind of dampens your argument, doesn't it?  If we had beaten the Dolphins, Seahawks and Broncos but lost to the 49ers, you would have said we aren't top 5 because we couldn't beat the 49ers.  

I don't care where we're ranked, I'll let you guys argue about that. All I care about is that we're winning against true contenders. 

And doing so in convincing fashion, with toughness and grit.

I'm not saying we're blowing them out, but the wins don't look accidental either.

After the game - the NE dude that be with T Dungy said we have the 6th ranked DEF in the league. I projected us into top 5 as we are about to have a week off.

I said top 10 because we have never had a DEF ranked that high so top 10 even sounds crazy.

When was the last time our DEF was ranked higher than the OFF?

Hey,  I hear you,  believe me,  I hear you!

I know what you're saying.....  

But no matter what the rankings are, I'm sure Pagano thinks we can be even better!

And we're going to need it in some of the games still on the schedule....