Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does anyone know who the heir to Irsay is when he is gone?

jshipp23

Just curious...I know he doesn't have kids or anything..I just wonder if the team could be sold and moved or something to this effect...I want Irsay here for the next 40 years, but if something does happen who will be in control of the team??

Shows how much you know :P

I love Irsay when he isn't saying ridiculous things and I'm GLAD he is our owner and he wants to win bad as around the league many owners just want to make $$$....With all the bad memories being brought up about the Colts moving without a stadium I was just curious who would be in control and I'm relieved it's his daughter and she is firmly rooted here even more so than Jim was so I think we are in good shape...Never really thought about it till today but it's good to know..

You must want him gone?

He's going to be around for a very long time. I thought Colts fans loved Irsay for the work he's done on this team over the last decade, even though 99% of the credit goes to Manning.

I generally like Mr. Irsay as a person & his football decisions (except getting rid of Manning. I'd have drafted Luck & had him sit 3 or 4 seasons & learn while watching Manning. Like Rogers did with Farve). But seeing the pics of Mr. Irsay, I don't think he looks that great. Even for an older gentleman. Of course I'm not a doctor but I'm just saying (though I do realize with his cash, he gets the best medical care available). So I've been wondering lately about the football acumen of his daughter (she's gonna have to fire GM's, coach's etc) & what she'll bring to the table when her time comes. Just curious. 

You must want him gone?

He's going to be around for a very long time. I thought Colts fans loved Irsay for the work he's done on this team over the last decade, even though 99% of the credit goes to Manning.

Those who pay attention love Irsay.

Those who hate twitter, and buy into media hype. Can't wait to crush him.

Those who pay attention love Irsay.

Those who hate twitter, and buy into media hype. Can't wait to crush him.

I don't hate Jim. I don't want to see him crushed. I actually defend him and his quirky persona quite often. I do, however, just wish he would be quiet and stop talking about Peyton before his first game back here. Stop trying to explain something that has been explained. 

I don't hate Jim. I don't want to see him crushed. I actually defend him and his quirky persona quite often. I do, however, just wish he would be quiet and stop talking about Peyton before his first game back here. Stop trying to explain something that has been explained.

I wasn't naming you. I've never gotten the impression you hate Irsay.

But there are those who know nothing about the guy other than hearing about him tweeting, and what the media says. He's certainly polarizing because he is in the public eye more than most owners.

He has three daughters I believe it's the oldest one that is being groomed to get the team. She is married to indy car driver aj Foyt the iv.

Actually, I think the oldest might be Carlie.  Casey is the one that appears to be most groomed for the lead of ownership, though all 3 sisters will share it. She is the one that is married to A.J. Foyt the 4th, and they have a son A.J. Foyt the 5th.  Casey graduated with Sports management degree from I.U. and worked for NFL London.  Kalen just recently graduated with honors from I.U. in Sports Management and Marketing and made Deans list 3 semesters. All 3 have represented the club in owners meetings.  All 3 are Owner/Vice Chair.

I generally like Mr. Irsay as a person & his football decisions (except getting rid of Manning. I'd have drafted Luck & had him sit 3 or 4 seasons & learn while watching Manning. Like Rogers did with Farve).

At the time, Archie Manning had said that doing that would not be a good idea. He felt that Andrew was too good to sit. And since Peyton is super close to his dad, he might've been speaking for both of them.

Personally, I felt a year might've been cool, especially since Andrew said he was willing to do it.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7324506/archie-manning-says-peyton-manning-andrew-luck-duo-indianapolis-colts-not-good-either

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7327351/archie-manning-new-take-peyton-manning-andrew-luck-co-exist-indianapolis-colts

Posted · Hidden by Superman, October 16, 2013 - inflammatory
Hidden by Superman, October 16, 2013 - inflammatory

who cares? he should be ashamed what he said about peyton. don't * him off or he will move the team like his dad did. there is no fan loyalty with that family. GO BRONCOS

it's all about controversy before the game lol 

I think the sports writers are putting more into what Irsay said then what he has actually said. how else could we go into this weekend's matchup against Denver and our former quarter back with out a little controversy??? 

By not stirring the pot? By not offering forth media fodder? By saying simply "We love Peyton, and we're making sure he knows it". 

I think the sports writers are putting more into what Irsay said then what he has actually said. how else could we go into this weekend's matchup against Denver and our former quarter back with out a little controversy??? 

I listened to the audio...and the writer actually tried to bury it deep in the article....it sounds how it sounds...irsay is taking it all back today...but it was a terrible comment and had no place being said in a week where your trying to honor these very players that you said came up short. I think Irsay ment what he said...thats how it read...and thats how it sounded when you listen to the audio from the interview...can't know whats in his heart..but if he didn't feel that way...he definately should have worded it differently or never went into that direction with his comments. Irsay has some foot in mouth disease...we all know this.

Just curious...I know he doesn't have kids or anything..I just wonder if the team could be sold and moved or something to this effect...I want Irsay here for the next 40 years, but if something does happen who will be in control of the team??

It is apparent you don't know as much about Irsay as you think you do. He has three kids.

Andrew Luck..... 

I generally like Mr. Irsay as a person & his football decisions (except getting rid of Manning. I'd have drafted Luck & had him sit 3 or 4 seasons & learn while watching Manning. Like Rogers did with Farve). But seeing the pics of Mr. Irsay, I don't think he looks that great. Even for an older gentleman. Of course I'm not a doctor but I'm just saying (though I do realize with his cash, he gets the best medical care available). So I've been wondering lately about the football acumen of his daughter (she's gonna have to fire GM's, coach's etc) & what she'll bring to the table when her time comes. Just curious.

All his daughters are very smart, but the eldest will get the team and rule the roost as it would be. She will represent the team very well and leave the running of the team to Grigs.

It is apparent you don't know as much about Irsay as you think you do. He has three kids.

Never been interested in his private life...They never seem to be talked about or out there so I didn't know that's why I asked..Sorry it bothers you..I'm glad posting this made you feel better:)

That would have been impossible without making us unable to compete.  We'd have so much tied up in our QB spot that we wouldn't have done anything.  Manning would have just assigned himself into a teachers role (which he could do coaching by the way), and we would have been lucky to sniff the playoffs.  That's why Manning wanted to leave (I mean he didn't, but under the circumstances).  He wanted to chase another ring and we couldn't pass up Luck.  Being as how both of our goals couldn't match up, they had to do them seperately. 

I'm still amazed when people say they never saw it coming.  It was pretty much set in stone when we got the #1 pick in 2012, and the nail was in the coffin when Manning refused to take a paycut.  There's nothing wrong with any of it either.  Sometimes, business interests just can't be reconciled.

That would have been impossible without making us unable to compete.  We'd have so much tied up in our QB spot that we wouldn't have done anything.  Manning would have just assigned himself into a teachers role (which he could do coaching by the way), and we would have been lucky to sniff the playoffs.  That's why Manning wanted to leave (I mean he didn't, but under the circumstances).  He wanted to chase another ring and we couldn't pass up Luck.  Being as how both of our goals couldn't match up, they had to do them seperately. 

I'm still amazed when people say they never saw it coming.  It was pretty much set in stone when we got the #1 pick in 2012, and the nail was in the coffin when Manning refused to take a paycut.  There's nothing wrong with any of it either.  Sometimes, business interests just can't be reconciled.

We could have done it, salary cap wise. Wouldn't have been the best way to develop Luck, because being on the field is what's best for him (and it showed last season). But we paid Dwight Freeney $14m last season for not much production. We could have made some other tweaks to keep Manning, if we wanted. But that's straddling the fence, being unwilling to make the tough decisions (and I was somewhat an advocate for keeping Manning and drafting Luck, precisely because I wanted the best of both worlds). 

Oh, and to the discussion about wanting Irsay gone, I don't think that's how most Colts fans feel.  If it is, then I'm in the minority.  Despite what Irsay does in social media and the media at large, he's a guy I can get behind 99% of the time.  He tells you how he feels, shrewd businessman, and is willing to make the difficult decisions for the best interest of the team.  I don't know how many owners would have made the same decision with Manning, but I can tell you that (a) NO owner would have wanted to make that decision and (2) from where I stand, it was the best decision for hte team long term.

And about the media and social media, he doesn't always choose the right words, granted.  But I'd rather a guy shoot from the hips and it be genuine, than an owner that's PC about everythign and keeps everything else hush hush (isn't that what we hate about our government leadership?).  I'm all for transparency, provided it's someone with clean ethics.  And while everythign he does is subject to scrutiny, he's a pretty stand up guy who wants to see his franchise succeed as far as I can tell.  So with all that in mind, do I enjoy defending the guy when the media goes beserk with quotes like these?  No.  But it's a small price to pay for what he has helped bring this city and my loyalty to the Colts will be unwavering, even if I think he should have been wiser with his word choice.

We could have done it, salary cap wise. Wouldn't have been the best way to develop Luck, because being on the field is what's best for him (and it showed last season). But we paid Dwight Freeney $14m last season for not much production. We could have made some other tweaks to keep Manning, if we wanted. But that's straddling the fence, being unwilling to make the tough decisions (and I was somewhat an advocate for keeping Manning and drafting Luck, precisely because I wanted the best of both worlds). 

Well, and I don't disagree that we couldn't have done it, but we would have had a difficult time competing, which was my point.  I guess I can't say for sure what Grigson and Pagano would have done with the roster if we kept them both.  Could it have worked?  Maybe.  But knowing what we know now is a lot different than what Pagano and Grigson could have known back then.  I really just think the bottom line is, Manning and Irsay knew that us being a superbowl contender with Manning here would have been much more difficult with both Manning and Luck on the roster.

Well, and I don't disagree that we couldn't have done it, but we would have had a difficult time competing, which was my point.  I guess I can't say for sure what Grigson and Pagano would have done with the roster if we kept them both.  Could it have worked?  Maybe.  But knowing what we know now is a lot different than what Pagano and Grigson could have known back then.  I really just think the bottom line is, Manning and Irsay knew that us being a superbowl contender with Manning here would have been much more difficult with both Manning and Luck on the roster.

I agree with all of that. We've all said there was no right or wrong decision with the Manning/Luck thing last year, especially now that we know Manning can still play. There are virtues to either decision. 

But the wrong decision would have been to try to keep both. I think it could have been done, with some wrangling and cap maneuvering (cut Freeney, don't sign Satele, be a little more restrained in free agency in 2013, etc.), but it wouldn't have made very good football sense. And the football world would have been robbed of a very good young quarterback in Andrew Luck, at least in the interim.

To  jshipp23  --Your comment said he didn't have kids. You were wrong. It's as simple as that. If you don't know his personal life then why do you make comments without knowing? It's not a point of making feel anything. The point was you make off the hip comments without the knowledge to back them up. Sorry, I call it as I read it.

Your comment said he didn't have kids. You were wrong. It's as simple as that. If you don't know his personal life then why do you make comments without knowing? It's not a point of making feel anything. The point was you make off the hip comments without the knowledge to back them up. Sorry, I call it as I read it.

I didn't know and was wrong which was the point of the thread so I could find out...Not that difficult really to admit if you're wrong...But thanks for letting me know how wrong I am it's lifechanging :)