Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade Luck for Sanchez so HE can hand the ball off...

bluephantom87

Pep and the conservative Chuck are buying too much into this ground and pound. The Colts came out after the opening fg like they had a 20pt lead and were trying to ice the game. This is not Stanford and this forced run game is hit or miss. Our passing game is starting to suffer with drops etc. and looks out of sync. Bad call to bring Pep in as oc and I'm sticking with that until he can prove he's able to attack a team's weakness on a weekly basis instead of the ground and pound approach no matter what. This offense lacks imagination and is starting to make Luck look like Kyle Orton. Where's the no huddle? If Sean Payton had this offense it would be a nightmare! Oh well the Pep experiment continues... :facepalm:  

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We only handed the ball off 13 times this game and 30 pass attempts ( 4 rush by luck)

I'd say the short intermediate passes hurt more than the hand offs

How many of those passes were in those last two or three drives though?

Can't just pass when desperate exclusively.

I do agree somewhat, but the Chargers did a good job disguising their D (sound familiar?) and forcing Luck into bad throws. But we still don't have an answer for the blitzes! They came all night and Luck couldn't make them pay, I know he is still young, but some of that is on the OC. When it's working, everyone loves Pep. When it isn't, it's fire Pep....I am in the middle. Both are young and will get better.

It was poor execution more than anything. 6 drops to kill any chance of a sustained drive. That is the story of the night.

Despite how bad the defense played, we had a chance to win it in the 4th quarter and came up short.

I don't put this on Pep and the play calling.

It was poor execution more than anything. 6 drops to kill any chance of a sustained drive. That is the story of the night.

Despite how bad the defense played, we had a chance to win it in the 4th quarter and came up short.

I don't put this on Pep and the play calling.

Right, it wasn't pep's fault that he deliberately ran play after play designed for high completion short yardage situations, to get us to 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 4. We had lots of key drops, but why wait until 3rd down to dial up a play where the ball is thrown past the 1st down marker.

hes becoming a toned down alex smith, and thats the %aki that i don't like

All coaches have egos and this conservative staff is making a point to play a certain style but don't have enough pieces on the defensive or o-line to do it on a consistant basis. Luck is STILL the best option on offense. Peps play calling tonight put the Chargers into a comfort zone with the short passing game NOBODY respected and the drops didn't help either.

All coaches have egos and this conservative staff is making a point to play a certain style but don't have enough pieces on the defensive or o-line to do it on a consistant basis. Luck is STILL the best option on offense. Peps play calling tonight put the Chargers into a comfort zone with the short passing game NOBODY respected and the drops didn't help either.

"Luck is still the best option on offense." Are you seriously questioning that?

Right, it wasn't pep's fault that he deliberately ran play after play designed for high completion short yardage situations, to get us to 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 4. We had lots of key drops, but why wait until 3rd down to dial up a play where the ball is thrown past the 1st down marker.

we're all upset right now. I'm sure if you go back and watch the game a second time ( not sure why anyone would want to) you'd see there were deeper options but Luck opted for shorter passes. Bottom line, if they made those catches the game would have been entirely different.

we're all upset right now. I'm sure if you go back and watch the game a second time ( not sure why anyone would want to) you'd see there were deeper options but Luck opted for shorter passes. Bottom line, if they made those catches the game would have been entirely different.

Only because he is told to take his 1st option if open.

When it all comes down to it the Defense, although letting up long time consuming drives, held when it mattered. Yes, they let some drives continue because of penalties, but you have to realize as well that when your defense is constantly out there because your offense can't sustain a drive, the D is going to get tired. It's a team game. Both sides of the ball have to be working or one gets left looking like crap. 

Really, you sit in at the QB meetings to know what he's told?

My guess is that he has options and makes reads based on the defense and the pressure. We did not provide much protection and that explains Luck opting for shorter and quicker throws.

Again, the 6 drops cost us the game. The drop by Fleener was a pass over 20 yards by the way.

Don't pin this loss on Andrew Luck!! This game was horrible all around. Andrew was probably the top performer for the Colts next to Reggie Wayne minus his drop passes. Horrible Defense and horrible executions on offense, mostly due to dropped passes and lack of holes for the running game. Andrew Luck needed support from his guys on Offense and much needed on Defense, both failed to show up tonight. Trade Luck... Your out of your mind.

"Luck is still the best option on offense." Are you seriously questioning that?

What? I said he's the best option so why would I question the statement? Apparently Pep thinks his power I Stanford run game is setting the nfl on fire and Luck just needs to manage the game because his numbers suggest that's the case now.

Don't pin this loss on Andrew Luck!! This game was horrible all around. Andrew was probably the top performer for the Colts next to Reggie Wayne minus his drop passes. Horrible Defense and horrible executions on offense, mostly due to dropped passes and lack of holes for the running game. Andrew Luck needed support from his guys on Offense and much needed on Defense, both failed to show up tonight. Trade Luck... Your out of your mind.

Did you read the FULL title of the topic? I'm a BIG Luck fan!!! It's a dig at Pep because I feel he's taking a franchise qb and turning him into a game manager. My point was anybody can hand the ball off. Sanchez or Painter would excel in this BASIC early 60's offense. The receivers are blocking so much they forgot how to catch. :D

The Colts passed it plenty this game. They had 34 designed pass plays (30 attempts, 4 Luck rushes), and only 13 rushes.

The Colts weren't on the field for long for any of their drives so they couldn't really develop much.

Relax with this conservative sucks mentality...

The Colts went to San Fran, used the VERY SAME mentality against the 49ers and they beat them by 20. The mentality has worked in the past. Should they be more aggressive at times, yes, but we can't start nit picking every little thing.

The Colts passed it plenty this game. They had 34 designed pass plays (30 attempts, 4 Luck rushes), and only 13 rushes.

The Colts weren't on the field for long for any of their drives so they couldn't really develop much.

The Colts went to San Fran, used the VERY SAME mentality against the 49ers and they beat them by 20. The mentality has worked in the past. Should they be more aggressive at times, yes, but we can't start nit picking every little thing.

We faced 2 pocket passers and lost both games. Just saying.

Pep and the conservative Chuck are buying too much into this ground and pound. The Colts came out after the opening fg like they had a 20pt lead and were trying to ice the game. This is not Stanford and this forced run game is hit or miss. Our passing game is starting to suffer with drops etc. and looks out of sync. Bad call to bring Pep in as oc and I'm sticking with that until he can prove he's able to attack a team's weakness on a weekly basis instead of the ground and pound approach no matter what. This offense lacks imagination and is starting to make Luck look like Kyle Orton. Where's the no huddle? If Sean Payton had this offense it would be a nightmare! Oh well the Pep experiment continues... :facepalm:  

I agree with everything, but the bold part. Payton has been unusually conservative this year. It cost him the Pats game on Sunday and allowed inferior teams to keep the games closer than they should have been

What we learned Monday: Colts must place offense in Luck’s hands

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Published: Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:40 a.m.

The Indianapolis Colts got what they deserved in a 19-9 loss to the San Diego Chargers Monday night.

For just the third time in 23 career starts, Andrew Luck was kept out of the end zone. If he was the type to assign blame, he could start with the five players who dropped easily catchable passes at crucial points in the game.

Darrius Heyward-Bey mistimed a potential long touchdown, Reggie Wayne couldn’t reel in a key third-down pass and Coby Fleener’s slippery mitts made an appearance in a similar situation — followed by a T.Y. Hilton muff on the next play.

When Trent Richardson lost a screen pass to sabotage a late fourth-quarter drive, overly conservative coach Chuck Pagano opted to punt back to the Chargers down seven points with less than two yards to go for a first down.

Needless to say, the Colts’ chances of picking up the first down were greater than their odds of stopping the Chargers and keeping enough time on the clock to go the length of the field for a touchdown.

For all of those physical and mental errors, though, it is coordinator Pep Hamilton’s insistence on clinging to a dysfunctional, old-school power running attack that is preventing Luck from reaching his potential.

There’s a method to Hamilton’s madness. He wants to create high-percentage passing opportunities against boxes loaded up to stop the run.

This is not an offense that abides game-changing mistakes.

It works best when blockers blow their men off the ball, allowing the power back to sustain drives, move the chains and punish tacklers. It doesn’t work when the offensive line lacks the talent to open holes for an indecisive back.

The Colts personnel falls into the latter category, which has the effect of playing keep-away from the best young no-huddle passer inNFL history.

It’s time for Hamilton to go back to the drawing board, devising a fresh plan to put the offense in Luck’s capable hands.

Sums it up.

What was the ratio before the Colts were forced to pass though I wonder. Because I know it was a pretty even spoilt early on. Before the game started to get away from us.

What was the ratio before the Colts were forced to pass though I wonder. Because I know it was a pretty even spoilt early on. Before the game started to get away from us.

Still pretty pass happy although yes it was even early on. 

3 WR sets? Really? Frankly, we do not have 3 WRs to move the chains consistently. It’s not THAT difficult to cover Wayne. It’s THAT difficult for Heyward-Bey to catch a football. It’s not THAT difficult to jam Hilton at the line with a DB, then to wall him with a LB and double cover with a S (that frontshoulder touchdown catch by 5-9, 173 Hilton against 6-4, 221 Browner was a miracle).

Put your best CB on Wayne. Put your worst OLman on Heyward-Bey. Press Hilton hard at the LOS. Play 1-high robber (to spy Andrew also). Blitz inside against Satele and McGlynn (to stop the power run also). You win.

After Miami game: “This team lacks talent…”. After San Diego game: “With all that talent on this team…” Funny.

I'm starting to see the national media give Luck the nod as the best of the young qbs but I'm also seeing some who don't like the Colts offense because it's starting to make Luck look very average. Gruden even commented on the power I and thought Luck looks better in a more up tempo type of offense. The more the Colts are on national tv the more Pep will be analyzed on his use or non use of Luck. The slow starts are a direct reflection of the conservative play calling. Too much time is focused on establishing the run to a fault with many early wasted downs. The numbers lean toward the midrange passing game because once down Pep seems to call more passes. The receivers looked out of sync against a team who can't stop anyone's passing game. Would be nice to see Luck stand in a clean pocket like Rivers who had ALL DAY just as Tanny did in the Miami lose. That's two games given away to teams (who now own tie breakers against the Colts in the afc) in which our gameplan made it easy to defend the slow I'm starting the first couple of qtrs like I'm icing the game with a lead. Every week receivers have drops in this league but it's magnified on the Colts because they choose to play a grind it out close to the vest type of game with no room for error.

With the talent we have, would should be able to start fast, get at least 10 points up on the opponent  and then use our running game to pound out the clock.....what am I missing here? 

Instead, we start like molasses, and ground and pound for most of the first half, only to have to come back in the second half to win.....yesterday proved that technique is not going to pass muster.  I hope the Colts coaching faculty goes to the mountain top this week and has a 'come to Jesus' meeting, because if we run this same game plan against Denver, we are going to get smoked.  We need to score 30-40 points to have a chance next week, and run the ball first mentality is not going to do it.

I almost wish they had thrown it less.  Specifically on the third and 3 that Wayne dropped.  A handoff up the gut to DB or TR might've extended the drive.  The running game was actually working yesterday.  The reason we didn't sustain drives was due to failings in the passing game.  

wow so now you're in the meeting room with the coaches and players?  I look forward to more "behind the scenes" info from you as the season progresses.  

I'm also not seeing what the problem is with throwing to an open receiver?!?

wow so now you're in the meeting room with the coaches and players?  I look forward to more "behind the scenes" info from you as the season progresses.  

I'm also not seeing what the problem is with throwing to an open receiver?!?

You gotta go with what works, not what you blindly think will work.

I have to agree. Plus, it's just not as fun to watch. And as long as Pep Hamilton is OC Luck will never have the stats to be considered a great QB.

I have to agree. Plus, it's just not as fun to watch. And as long as Pep Hamilton is OC Luck will never have the stats to be considered a great QB.

The only people that care about stats or Luck's recognition are his little fanboys and girls.  Irsay, Grigson, Pagano, Hamilton etc are not building a team to make sure that Luck goes down as one of the best QB's of all time.  They're building a team to win championships.