Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign LB Andy Studebaker

Marcio James

From his draft bio he is a rush LB

That's good.  IMO, you can't have too many of those types of players.  I understand whey they released Ceaser, he's probably never going to be more than a one trick pony.  But that's one of the most important tricks in the NFL.

Andy Studebaker is expected to have the "inside track" on the Chiefs' starting outside linebacker job opposite Tamba Hali this season.

Studebaker has been Mike Vrabel's understudy for the past two seasons, but overtook Vrabel on passing downs for much of last year and had 2.5 sacks. Studebaker is now the heavy favorite for early-down work. He'll be pushed by Cam Sheffield and third-round pick Justin Houston for the nickel rushing role.

Tue, Jul 12, 2011

"... He returned one 96 yds for a TD.  So he has some wheels too."

Did I forget to mention a motor that doesn't quit?

Sounds like he was an up and comer in KC.  What happened to him in Jax?  Was it a numbers game, scheme issue, or was he injured? 

Numerous teams (the likes of Browns, Eagles, Jets, Jags, Colts, Broncos, Ravens and Bears) attended his private workout on Friday at Wheaton College (never heard of it). I've never heard of this guy but apparently he's getting some attention. Draft Scout has him the 25 best OLB in this year's draft. A DE/OLB at 6'3" 250 and a low 40 time of 4.47, he seems somewhat intriguing. Normally, I would just brush it off as a over-hyped small school "sleeper". I figured it was just another case of someone trying to make a name for themselves because they "discovered" this small school sleeper. But with all of these teams seemingly interested this late it made we wonder if anyone else had heard of him. The Steelers didn't attend. Did they miss out or is he just as I speculate? FWIW: I did see that he recently had a Lis Franc injury that he has just now recovered from. Just bored and curious.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=73801

Sounds like he was an up and comer in KC.  What happened to him in Jax?  Was it a numbers game, scheme issue, or was he injured? 

He was there only for 2-3 weeks.  Maybe they saw he could play and possibly stop a team from scoring. Seems that action doesn't fit in their planning toward the draft. ;)

Probably a numbers game, roster roullete. Like we've even had to go through.  IE: L. Guy?

Andy Studebaker is a graduate of d3, Wheaton College (IL), and is on the verge of becoming the first player in school history to ever be selected in the NFL draft. Andy would have been invited to the NFL combine but was still recovering from ankle surgery performed in October/November. Andy has since been cleared by the doctors and had a Pro Day for scouts at Northwestern's field house on Friday 4/18/08. To see the video from that workout, please click the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEu5IziKZLs

Andy is an incredibly explosive athlete and put up ridiculous #'s. Here's how his numbers stack up vs. the best combine performances from D1 athletes at the same position. (Keep in mind that he did this just 3 weeks after being cleared to be full speed after ankly surgery.)

Andy Studebaker. 6'4" 255 lbs.
40 yd dash- 4.60 seconds- 3rd overall
vertical jump- 36.5 inches- 1st
3 cone drill- 6.81 seconds- 1st
20 yd shuttle- 4.14 seconds- 1st

By comparison:

Vernon Ghoulston (1st round projection from Ohio State)
6'4" 258 lbs
40 time- 4.67 seconds- 4th
vertical jump- 35.5 inches- 2nd
3 cone drill- 7.12 seconds- 8th
20 yd shuttle- 4.40 seconds- 8th

Chris Long (possible #1 pick overall)
6'4" 275 lbs
40 time- 4.75- 8th
vertical jump- 34 inches- 3rd
3cone drill- 7.02 seconds- 4th
20 yd shuttle- 4.21- 2nd

I think that Andy could be a 3 - 4 OLB with his athleticism. It depends on the team and what type of scheme that they run. Why try to pack 20, 30 or 40 pounds on this guy when he is perfect OLB size right now? He has the speed to pass rush and enough size/strength to take on blockers in the run game. The level of college competition thing is over-rated. The only differences between Division I, II and III is the number of great players on the team, money, and facilities.

I played against Andre Reed and Andre Waters in college. They where good players, but by far were not even the best players in the conference. However, Andre' Reed will be a Hall of Famer and Muddy Waters was a pro bowl Safety with the Eagles. I played with a guy named Moses Alston who was 6'2 215 lbs and ran a 4.35 40 and played strong safety. Moses never got a look in the NFL. There are tons of players from small schools who are more than capable of playing in the NFL, but the exposure and opportunity is not the same as Division I. Don't forget that guy named Jerry Rice who went to Mississipi Valley State. That's an NFL factory right up there with Ohio State, USC, and Notre Dame. icon_eek.gif

Andy has the athleticism, but does he have the mental make-up, endurance, and heart to play at the next level? Hopefully he gets the opportunity to answer that on someone's roster. In my humble opinion, he sounds like a potential terror at LB in the 3 - 4.

... The only differences between Division I, II and III is the number of great players on the team, money, and facilities...

That's the ONLY difference?  LOL!

I agree, there are talented players from the lower division schools.  Very few from D3 though, probably less than a dozen in the NFL.  And we may have the best one. 

What I still don't understand about Studebaker is how the Jags cut him.   Apparently his cut didn't even make a ripple of news and was expected.  Could have been scheme.

Heck, he may not even be active and will probably just play STs if he is.  At this point, I'm confidence that Grigs knows how to improve the bottom of the roster with the best of them.

as you can see try used a round peg in a square peg.

The Jaguars’ defense, long a four-linemen, three-linebackers scheme, will remain that way under new head coach Gus Bradley and coordinator Bob Babich.

“We’ll definitely be 4-3,” Babich said Tuesday morning during the North practice at Ladd-Peeples Stadium, which will be played Saturday afternoon in Mobile.

“We’ll have some basic philosophies that we’re going to incorporate scheme-wise. There are going to be a lot of different things we’ll look at. We’re going to look to play fast, and we want to get better every day. I think the guys will really gravitate to what we’re doing.”

Babich, who worked with Bradley at North Dakota State, spent the last nine seasons with Chicago and was defensive coordinator three of those seasons.

Offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch - like Babich, hired this past Saturday, three days after Bradley’s hiring - has been the offensive coordinator at the University of Miami the past two seasons, and also has worked under respected offensive coaches such as Steve Spurrier and Mike Shanahan.

“We’ve run different offenses everywhere I’ve been,” Fisch said. “We’re going to go through the evaluation process of our players, and see what our players do best. We want to put our players in a position where they can succeed.”