Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Russell Wilson is the REAL DEAL

Andy

Many said that Wilson was the beneficiary of a great defense and a good running game. However, I saw today's game and he was the main reason they had a chance. The guy is a little animal.

There was a debate about who was the best dual QB in the league. Was it Kaepernick? RG3? Vick? No, it's Russell Wilson. The guy can kill you in the air. He's got a great arm, and he can kill you on the ground and get 180 rushing yards in 2 weeks. That's better than most running backs.

The guy can do it all and is the driving force behind that offense. The amount of times he saved his team with his legs today is outstanding.

I gained a ton of respect for Wilson today. It's obvious he's going to be a top 5 quarterback in the league in a few years once the legends have passed on (he's close to that mark). 

Luck may have outplayed him today, but there's another budding superstar in Seattle and his name is Russell Wilson.

yea Wilson was annoying all game. Reminded me of pryor running all over our d.

I see what you're saying, but a lot of Pryor's runs were planned runs. Wilson scrambled a lot today, although he did have several planned ones.

He also passed it well, something Pryor didn't do that well. 

Andy...  Pryor was totally "scrambling" the ENTIRE game against Indy.   It was street ball. 

Several were "planned" .. but he did his damage on the "RUN"....

Wilson is a very good player, but his entire game is based upon his mobility.     Did he throw from the pocket ONE time?  successfully?

If Indy holds the edge like against SF....   this is a blow out.

I want to see Russell W stand in the pocket and MAKE IT HAPPEN...    

I see what you're saying, but a lot of Pryor's runs were planned runs. Wilson scrambled a lot today, although he did have several planned ones.

He also passed it well, something Pryor didn't do that well. 

The BEST "dual" QB in the NFL is Andrew Luck...

Hands down...  

the Colts do not ask him to MASK his deficiencies.     Because he has not ONE.

Many said that Wilson was the beneficiary of a great defense and a good running game. However, I saw today's game and he was the main reason they had a chance. The guy is a little animal.

There was a debate about who was the best dual QB in the league. Was it Kaepernick? RG3? Vick? No, it's Russell Wilson. The guy can kill you in the air. He's got a great arm, and he can kill you on the ground and get 180 rushing yards in 2 weeks. That's better than most running backs.

The guy can do it all and is the driving force behind that offense. The amount of times he saved his team with his legs today is outstanding.

I gained a ton of respect for Wilson today. It's obvious he's going to be a top 5 quarterback in the league in a few years once the legends have passed on (he's close to that mark). 

Luck may have outplayed him today, but there's another budding superstar in Seattle and his name is Russell Wilson.

yea Wilson was annoying all game. Reminded me of pryor running all over our d.

Yes Pryor ran all over us, but A..what Andy said is true..a lot were planned runs, and B...Pryor being a threat to pass is NOWHERE near the threat Wilson is..Wilson has it all..plus the great athleticism..Pryor is raw, can't read defenses, and is very inaccurate compared to Wilson..

I loved our defensive game plan this week... If it wasn't for some bad tackling, we would have played Wilson as well as could be expected. The numbers are kind of ugly, but our D stiffened when it had to...

Wilson is very very good... there were so many times that our D-Line or backers busted through their O-Line, only to be outran to the edge by RW.... The line did not hold up great against Lynch and the run and the secondary was sloppy in coverage early, but we had the right guys in the right places, for the most part... Freeman has big-time spy potential against "dual-threat" QBs... he has to learn not to bite on so many fakes and diagnose a bit faster in those situations, but that will come with experience...

I know that we gave up a lot of yards and points this week, but I'm giving props to Manusky and Pagano for putting our players in a position to succeed...

It's good to see Wilson getting more respect this year. Last year all we heard about was Griff and Andy. All three guys have a lot of good football ahead of them, and they are the first wave of a new kind of QB I think.

It's good to see Wilson getting more respect this year. Last year all we heard about was Griff and Andy. All three guys have a lot of good football ahead of them, and they are the first wave of a new kind of QB I think.

I think he is running way too much though. He took shot after shot yesterday. He needs to get down or just throw the ball away.

I think he is running way too much though. He took shot after shot yesterday. He needs to get down or just throw the ball away.

I've seen him slide a lot too. I've also noticed most of his running comes off of scrambling instead of the typical read-option plays. He took some shots in the pocket passing the ball too if I remember correctly, and we got to him five times when we played. I think he'll be alright, but less hits would be desirable.

I've seen him slide a lot too. I've also noticed most of his running comes off of scrambling instead of the typical read-option plays. He took some shots in the pocket passing the ball too if I remember correctly, and we got to him five times when we played. I think he'll be alright, but less hits would be desirable.

Yes, a lot of scrambling. He is starting to look like Big Ben. if the initial read is not there then he takes off. He needs to go through his reads and make the throw more often. He is getting tagged a lot.

I'd absolutely put Wilson ahead of both RG3 and Kaepernick. I think he's pretty under-rated to be honest.

I can't wait to see the Hawks play once Harvin is back.

Yes, a lot of scrambling. He is starting to look like Big Ben. if the initial read is not there then he takes off. He needs to go through his reads and make the throw more often. He is getting tagged a lot.

Big Ben? Wilson is much faster and much smaller than Ben. Ben is paying now for all those hits he took by being Big Ben, There is no way Wilson could walk after taking the hits that Ben has taken in his years in the league. Wilson can't stand in the pocket and make throws with defenders hanging and bouncing off of him like Ben has done in the past. I'm not seeing anything close in their style of play. Maybe if you are talking about moving to give themselves room to throw but the skills between the two are not comparable. 

Russell Wilson is a sneaky little fellow, and could probably do with less running. Kaepernick on the other hand needs to have the ability to move... because last night he proved he is not a very good pocket passer. Robert Griffin III is going to be broken in half if he keeps it up. Luck and Wilson are both going to be very good, and Robert Griffen III has all the intangables too if Shanahan doesn't figure out a way to mess it all up first. This draft class is something to behold.

Andy...  Pryor was totally "scrambling" the ENTIRE game against Indy.   It was street ball. 

Several were "planned" .. but he did his damage on the "RUN"....

Wilson is a very good player, but his entire game is based upon his mobility.     Did he throw from the pocket ONE time?  successfully?

If Indy holds the edge like against SF....   this is a blow out.

I want to see Russell W stand in the pocket and MAKE IT HAPPEN...    

Well, that is not totally his game, but the Rose Bowl vs. the Oregon Ducks was close to your expectations!  He can do it.

19/25 (76.0%) 296 yards 2TD 1INT, Rushing: 18 yards 1 TD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGpCW4pYBLw

I remember some folks out there saying this guy was nearly as good or better than Andrew Luck after their bowl appearances.  But because Wilson height, team, (big ten) and playing at NC State until final year, he was little known to most; including me.  I was wondering how those folks could be singing the praises of a dude I had no clue exited. I think we all do now. If not for Drew Brees, it is possible no team would have even taken a flyer on the guy!  Seahawks banged up patchwork O line is the cause of the scrambling/running.  I believe RW would really rather hand off the M. Lynch and then PA fake pass all day.

Big Ben? Wilson is much faster and much smaller than Ben. Ben is paying now for all those hits he took by being Big Ben, There is no way Wilson could walk after taking the hits that Ben has taken in his years in the league. Wilson can't stand in the pocket and make throws with defenders hanging and bouncing off of him like Ben has done in the past. I'm not seeing anything close in their style of play. Maybe if you are talking about moving to give themselves room to throw but the skills between the two are not comparable. 

I was not comparing them physically or stylistically. My comment was on Wilson's instinct to shed the pocket as soon as the initial read is not there. That is the part I was comparing to Big Ben. You are right though. He is not nearly as big as Ben which is why I was saying he needs to stay in the pocket and take less hits on the run.

He's never going to eb Top-5 in the league because the Big-3 (Brady, Brees and Manning) aren't going anywhere for 4 or 5 more years and other QBs are coming..

Ryan is better...Luck is better... Eli is better...Romo is better....

He wont be Top-5 barring some early retirement..and does benefit from a very good 'D'

But in the Class of 2012...he's 2nd behind Andrew Luck

Talk flows.....we hear about this for six weeks and then we hear about that...

The way things are going...we're going to start to hear about T. Pryor of Oakland. too...

The 'talk' was that Luck threw too many interceptions and his 11-5 record couldn't be repeated...remember

Even Matt Schaub will make a comeback

Guest TeamLoloJones

I'd absolutely put Wilson ahead of both RG3 and Kaepernick. I think he's pretty under-rated to be honest.

I can't wait to see the Hawks play once Harvin is back.

In 3 years this league will belong to Luck and Wilson.

Watching the game, it had to be frustrating for Seahawks fans with Wilson when he would throw.  I know him and Luck had close to the same completion percentage, but at least Luck's throws were in the realm of being caught.  A lot of RW's throws were over throws.  Guess that's why he just kept running.

Seattle doesn't have the talent at WR to know a whole lot about Wilson's passing ability yet (be very interesting when/if Harvin gets back though).  I came away from the game Sunday thinking his passing skills are overrated currently but, and this is crazy given how much hype this gets, his scrambling ability might be underrated.  I hate that he plays for Pete Carroll cause while I enjoy watching him play (when it's not against the Colts) and want to be a fan of him, I just can't pull for a team coached by a clown like Carroll.

I was not comparing them physically or stylistically. My comment was on Wilson's instinct to shed the pocket as soon as the initial read is not there. That is the part I was comparing to Big Ben. You are right though. He is not nearly as big as Ben which is why I was saying he needs to stay in the pocket and take less hits on the run.

The problem with saying Wilson needs to stay in the pocket is his height. This is the same issue that dropped him all the way to the 3rd round . Mind you ... 3rd round for a QB with great smarts , , great arm and great character. The problem is he's so short that if he just drops back in the pocket , there's a good chance he can't make all the necessary reads as he'll have issues seeing the whole field.  5'9" just doesn't allow you to see over the O Linemen. Granted guys like Brees often have to move left and right into lanes to overcome this but at least those guys are 6'. 

I think Wilson is a great talent but teams will adjust a bit to his running and could be that we don't see him reach that elite status that some of the other young guys have potential for.

The problem with saying Wilson needs to stay in the pocket is his height. This is the same issue that dropped him all the way to the 3rd round . Mind you ... 3rd round for a QB with great smarts , , great arm and great character. The problem is he's so short that if he just drops back in the pocket , there's a good chance he can't make all the necessary reads as he'll have issues seeing the whole field.  5'9" just doesn't allow you to see over the O Linemen. Granted guys like Brees often have to move left and right into lanes to overcome this but at least those guys are 6'. 

I think Wilson is a great talent but teams will adjust a bit to his running and could be that we don't see him reach that elite status that some of the other young guys have potential for.

I don't think he is fleeing the pocket because he can't see. He is very good at moving around in the pocket like Brees to get a good view down field. He flees too soon IMO relying on his legs too much when his first and second options are gone. He needs to become better from the pocket in general.

He's listed at 5'11".  Don't know how accurate that is but it's within an inch of what Brees is listed at.

I think I linked this to the wrong email so I'll just add your email that this belongs with...

"I don't think he is fleeing the pocket because he can't see. He is very good at moving around in the pocket like Brees to get a good view down field. He flees too soon IMO relying on his legs too much when his first and second options are gone. He needs to become better from the pocket in general."

The point of this is " I wonder" and "you think." He's 3 inches shorter than Brees and we just don't know if he has a good view of the whole field "by moving around in the pocket." What we do know is that he was drafted in the 3rd round while having all the attributes of great QB's with the exception of the desired height. Am I saying that he would go in the 3rd round if teams could have looked to this point in the future. No... but I wonder if he will always have some limitations due to being around 5'9".

He's listed at 5'11".  Don't know how accurate that is but it's within an inch of what Brees is listed at.

You're correct. Don't know why I was thinking 5'9". The exact at the combine was 5'10 5/8. So about an inch shorter than Brees is correct.

You're correct. Don't know why I was thinking 5'9". The exact at the combine was 5'10 5/8. So about an inch shorter than Brees is correct.

Plays alot Taller,,Like John Wayne, hes tall in the saddle ( think was a 1944 movie he starred in)