Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep Hamilton possible USC candidate

jvan1973

I was listening to Dan Patrick this morning. He said he thinks Pep Hamilton will be considered for the USC head coaching job. So if he leaves, who is the OC next year?

The problem with success is every other team or program wants a piece, and every time there is an opening the media plays guessing games.

The rumor is that Jack Del Rio is getting that job though.

The problem is that Denver's season may not be over until February and USC needs somebody before then.Highly unlikely that JDR or Pep interviews for USC while the Bronocs and Colts are playing...

The thought of many regarding JDR is that USC would go with a temporary or interim coach this year and with Del Rio's contract ending this year he would be hired then.

The thought of many regarding JDR is that USC would go with a temporary or interim coach this year and with Del Rio's contract ending this year he would be hired then.

Maybe..but understand how talk works..

You have meetings before the show and throws up topics and tie two threads together and make a point...

You throw names around

It sounds good right.. 1 plus 1 equals 2, right?

Except that neither side may have had any contact with each other

He may be a perfect fit for there, but he's not going anywhere. He's an OC, the next step up is HC and when you come in as OC and have the success that Pep is having with this offense, you're better off sticking around and waiting for an NFL HC position to open up rather than take a college program going down in flames and will be a 2-3 project bare minimum.  It didn't work for Charlie Weis, so Pep would be out of his mind to go backwards.

It should. We can't have 3 OCs in 3 years.

We don't want Luck dealing with the same revolving door of OCs as Cutler or Alex Smith. Consistency is very important for a young QB, even one as good as Luck. That being said, I don't see Hamilton getting the job. Del Rio is the favorite and he is a USC guy. It's going to be his job if he wants it.

I don't see it.  Pep Hamilton is doing a nice job, but he's not setting the world on fire (yet) in a way that will make him likely to be poached.

Savvy stock brokers see potential and buy stock when it's well below it's projected value.  Possible Haden sees the PeP value increasing and wants to buy in ASAP.

hmm, ok I'll play.  Hypothetically speaking, if Pep got the job at USC, then I would look at:

1. Gregg Knapp.  He was one of my top choices last year before Pep was hired.  Comes from a west coast scheme directly under the Shanahan/Kubiak coaching tree.  The biggest potential for issue imo would be that Shanahan, Kubiak etc love the zone blocking running game and we've spent the last 2 years trying to get bigger, man blocking linemen.  Could Knapp adjust to that?

2. Gary Kubiak.  HIGHLY, HIGHLY unlikely he would get fired, but also highly unlikely that Pep gets the USC job.  If Kubiak were available then he'd be my top choice, though with the same potential issues in blocking scheme as Knapp.

3. Pete Carmichael.  For a different offensive approach, we could possibly look at Carmichael.  I know it's typically unlikely for an OC to leave a current position for another job at the same level.  However, everyone and their brother knows that the NO offense is Payton's offense and Payton calls the plays.  Perhaps Carmichael would leave for another OC position (if he didn't receive any HC offers) for his chance to put his own stamp on an offense.

4. Clyde Christiansen.  WORST...IDEA....EVER.  I think i'd rather see Gary Emanuel become OC than Clyde.

Guest TeamLoloJones

He was a candidate for the Oregon job before he came here. Oregon is a much better job than USC at the moment.

I would argue USC is the best job in the country, with Texas a close second.  You can't focus on the current class.

Guest TeamLoloJones

If Andrew Luck has to learn another offense in his 3rd year I'm done with football.

You can't keep changing OC's every year with a young QB

I wouldn't be worried about Andrew, he could learn a new offense every year and be fine.  It's everyone else that loses a year of development.

The problem with success is every other team or program wants a piece, and every time there is an opening the media plays guessing games.

The rumor is that Jack Del Rio is getting that job though.

I don't think Pep has had enough sustained success to be considered for such a big job.  

Besides, correct me if I'm wrong but he doesn't really have much of a connection to USC.  

Del Rio certainly has the inside track.  

If Pep gets interviewed it will only be so USC can say they interviewed a token minority candidate.  Even though I don't think that's required in the NCAA. 

This is what Jay Mohr calls "fake news." It's just crap thrown out there to get a reaction. Nothing more. Pep is 4 GAMES into his first season as an NFL OC!!! Come on man...this isn't Bruce Arians, who had been in the league forever, at the end of a unexpectedly great season. This team could still (I hope not) lose a lot of games....two great games does not a season make. Plus, it's USC in 2013, not 2005...But to speculate after 4 games is just moronic

This is what Jay Mohr calls "fake news." It's just crap thrown out there to get a reaction. Nothing more. Pep is 4 GAMES into his first season as an NFL OC!!! Come on man...this isn't Bruce Arians, who had been in the league forever, at the end of a unexpectedly great season. This team could still (I hope not) lose a lot of games....two great games does not a season make. Plus, it's USC in 2013, not 2005...But to speculate after 4 games is just moronic

not really, he was a head coaching candidate last year. He very well could be again after the end of this season

If Andrew Luck has to learn another offense in his 3rd year I'm done with football.

You can't keep changing OC's every year with a young QB

its not like the colts would do it by choice. This is what happens when you are good. What happened with manning and moore was not the norm. It wouldn't be ideal but we may have to deal with it. Till we do I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

Guest TeamLoloJones

not really, he was a head coaching candidate last year. He very well could be again after the end of this season

I wouldn't be surprised if Pep gets calls from Stanford to be the HC, when David Shaw goes to the NFL in the next 1-2 years.  Not saying Pep would take it, but you never know.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pep gets calls from Stanford to be the HC, when David Shaw goes to the NFL in the next 1-2 years.  Not saying Pep would take it, but you never know.

No one turns down a head coaching job to stay offensive coordinator.

I think we have Pep for at least next season as well.  People have to show sustained success to get looks for big jobs.  BA was a little bit different because he was the head coach for most of the season.  

2 years of good offensive football and then we have to really worry about people calling him up for a head coaching job.

I wouldn't be worried about Andrew, he could learn a new offense every year and be fine.  It's everyone else that loses a year of development.

Luck may be "one of the best QB prospects since Elway/Manning" but he's not Superman.  Having a 3rd OC in 3 years would affect his development.  Part of development is learning the offensive system, and then growing and improving in that system.  If he had to start from scratch in a new system for a 3rd year in a row, yes it would definitely affect his development.  It most likely wouldn't have Alex Smith type repercussions for him but it would still affect his development.

No one turns down a head coaching job to stay offensive coordinator.

I think we have Pep for at least next season as well. People have to show sustained success to get looks for big jobs. BA was a little bit different because he was the head coach for most of the season.

2 years of good offensive football and then we have to really worry about people calling him up for a head coaching job.

tom Moore did and I am not trying to be smart here. For a lot of Colts fans he's the only OC they knew for a long time. So they got used to the idea that coaches will stay because it's what they knew. What we are seeing now is that Moore was exception. Honestly I think now colts fans may appreciate what they had interns of consistency with Manning's offense a little more than they did at the time and just how rare it is in the NFL.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Luck may be "one of the best QB prospects since Elway/Manning" but he's not Superman.  Having a 3rd OC in 3 years would affect his development.  Part of development is learning the offensive system, and then growing and improving in that system.  If he had to start from scratch in a new system for a 3rd year in a row, yes it would definitely affect his development.  It most likely wouldn't have Alex Smith type repercussions for him but it would still affect his development.

Luck should get some kind of award for all the jobs he has gotten people.  Nothing is certain but if not for Luck: 

1. Harbaugh would still be at Stanford

2. Shaw would not be HC at Stanford

3. Pep would not be in the NFL yet

4. BA would not be a head coach

5. The OC of Stanford would not be titled the "Andrew Luck Director of Offense"

6. Obama would not have been re-elected (ok I made that one up)