Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Believed In Curtis Painter All Along!

OJl

Shame on most of you people! I am never one to say "I told you so!" But...I TOLD YOU SO!

I knew all along that Curtis Painter could play and you people shouldn't have doubted him either!

Patchwork offensive line, no running game to help him, Dallas Clark slapping passes away like rabid possums flying at him...NO PROBLEM! Curtis was still droppin' dimes on P-Garcon and Reggie and even Collie got into the act with a couple of nice grabs!

QB ain't the problem no mo'!

Painter supporters were few and far between in the pre-season. I can't say that I was one. Just being honest. The only guy that I saw adamently defending Painter day in and day out here was Smitto. I am sure he isn't the only one who supported him through the dog days but he was certainly the most vocal about it.

All that said I agree with my boy Indy-Colts-Fan. Too early for I told you so's 2 games in.

Ok i understand he is now playing like a backup should be playing, but he only played for half a game. When you play football you play for the whole 60 mins and not 1 half. What was it, i think he completed like 3 passes in the second half? thats god awful

Listen mate, im not trying to bash you. From what i seen from painter this was a heck of an approvement, but we can not let him think he can play for one half great and do almost nothing the second half.

Remember if you work at a job and was paying a guy 300k + a year to do a job, you want him to do the full job, not a half ** job

Edited by joo 2h

Ok i understand he is now playing like a backup should be playing, but he only played for half a game. When you play football you play for the whole 60 mins and not 1 half. What was it, i think he completed like 3 passes in the second half? thats god awful

Listen mate, im not trying to bash you. From what i seen from painter this was a heck of an approvement, but we can not let him think he can play for one half great and do almost nothing the second half.

Remember if you work at a job and was paying a guy 300k + a year to do a job, you want him to do the full job, not a half ** job

Three weeks ago most Painter comments were along the lines of him being the worst QB in the history of the sport, and an embarrassment to the team. And those were the exceedingly polite ones.

The guy just went out and had about as good a first half as a QB possibly could, finishing with a 115 QB rating for the game, and you are essentially comparing him to a contractor who intentionally ripped you off. I suggest you take a closer look at WHY he only completed 3 passes in the second half. And you should compare Painters performance to other QBs who played yesterday. More to the point, you should compare Painters performance to what Peyton was doing in his 2nd start. He not only played well enough to win yesterday, he played like an above average starting QB. I have no idea why any Colt fan would be complaining about him - how about dancing in your seats at your wildest expectations being exceeded by several hundred percent.

Shame on most of you people! I am never one to say "I told you so!" But...I TOLD YOU SO!

I knew all along that Curtis Painter could play and you people shouldn't have doubted him either!

Patchwork offensive line, no running game to help him, Dallas Clark slapping passes away like rabid possums flying at him...NO PROBLEM! Curtis was still droppin' dimes on P-Garcon and Reggie and even Collie got into the act with a couple of nice grabs!

weren't you the same person that made numerous facepalms a year or two ago, when Painter was fumbling every snap, and if he wasn't fumbling he was throwing a pick 6. I mean comon man, you are telling me that in those days you thought painter was gonna be good?

comon man.

weren't you the same person that made numerous facepalms a year or two ago, when Painter was fumbling every snap, and if he wasn't fumbling he was throwing a pick 6. I mean comon man, you are telling me that in those days you thought painter was gonna be good?

comon man.

Actually he was still making snide anti Painter comments in August.

The other day when he made a "Why did anyone ever doubt Painter" post I thought that he was trying to be funny, and making fun of himself. To start a thread like this! I'm not sure what to think - but nothing good is coming to mind.

Edited by MAC

1). Curtis Painter does not call the plays unless he has to audible, so the # of pass attempts are not his decision.

2). Look at "time of possession"...how much time did he have the ball to pass...and 4th down punt plays count in as time of possession too, yet the QB is not on the field.

3). Perhaps the receivers (Clark) had some responsibilities in those incompletions in the 2nd half ???

The QB is only 1/11 of the offense.

Smitto was the most vocal Painter supporter, yet he never broke his am to pat himself on the back like the OP. He was quite humble after Painter emerged as the obvious choice over Collins.

was he supporting Painter 2 years ago?

Did he say that fumbling and throwing picks on every snap is ok, it's only a learning process?

I thought Painter should have started week 1. He's been in the system and he has better chemistry with the players. I know we all hated him at first, but you can't blame the guy...

Playing behind Manning guarantees virtually no playing time which leads to inexperience....

Come on OJ......tell the truth...

When the Colts threw the 15th game of the season in 2009..by inserting young Curtis..

..did you post about how good he was and how you 'knew it all along'?? :rock:

I had painters back.......but he isn't gonna be the kind of qb that can hide the weak spots of the rest of the team like manning does.......i think he will be a good game managing QB.......who can do enough to help you win while not making to many mistakes......as long as he doesn't have to try to force things

So now a supporter has to of been a supporter from the very beginning... I guess im not a Colts fan because i wasn't a fan of them the day they moved here. You make me sad.

Wrong..FAN

Its not about you...

OJ said he WAS a fan of Painters even when Curtis couldnt stand up straight and throw the ball into the ground...

Do you believe him?

Just what has he done yet? One good half of football. Woo hoo. He is still average back up material if that. I'll give him credit he's played a little better than I thought he would but I think you will see inconsistency all year long. I hope he proves me wrong as I think he is trying hard.

Buddy I went down this road, and it's not a good one. I've learned that you don't make threads like this.

Patting yourself on the back NEVER goes over well (as we talked about in the middle of the night shortly after you started that thread :P ). However there is no doubt what-so-ever about the fact that you actually WERE right. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of animal this thread is.

It's a shame that the Colt's organization doesn't see the potential Curtis Painter has. You don't build a dynasty with one player. You build a dynasty by building a "Team" that every player and fan can identify with. Since Curtis Painter started playing QB this season, we have lost three games by a mere few points each. If the Colts spent 96 million on building their "Team" and not a "Player coach", I think the team would have easily overcome those few point deficits with Curtis Painter and be much more successful than they are today. We need to regain our identity as the Colts and not Peyton Manning's team. Just ask the Miami Dolphins who won the only Super Bowl Undefeated who their star quarterback was? He wasn't the reason they went undefeated that year. He was an average quarterback at best. The Dolphin's "Team" was the reason for their success. The Colts need to trade Peyton Manning while he still has value. It would be a shame to think that he can bring this team to another Super Bowl after the problems he's had to deal with. I can't blame the Colts for holding onto him since he fills the stands and the fans love him, but as for their future success, they must not fall prey to self-indulgence and arrogance which has been an emblematic problem for this team since acquiring Manning back in 98. Curtis Painter is a great start for the Colts towards building a great, dynamic, well balanced, team. The Colts should not consider Luck as their future as they have with Manning. Too much emphasis has been placed on this one player. Please give us our team back Peyton.

Did you like Painters 2nd half production vs. the Cheifs?

I think its best rephrased as "painter is only PART of the problem"

You might want to wait until Painter wins a game to bust out the "I told you so" threads.......

A good half (and I'll fully agree it was very good)....doesn't matter much when you pass for 40 yards or so in the 2nd half and can't get the offense going and they lose the game (not saying it was Painters fault we lost, but he didnt help the team much in the 2H).

He's been better than I thought he'd be, but the bar was set so low it would be hard to not exceed my expectations of him or even to play better than Collins did.

Curtis hasn't won yet, why are you claiming he is our hero??? I still don't think he is good. He didn't finish this past Sunday and was horrible in the 2nd half. Plus, it was against KC and TB defenses. Not really quality d's if you ask me. Lets see how he does against Cinn.

I predict that this week will launch Curtis Painter on his way to a long and illustrious career as one of the top QBs in the NFL.

After this season, we will trade Curtis Painter and have the 1st and 2nd pick in the entire draft!

Well..........I'd rather have Luck backing up Manning next year, and Painter backing up some other teams starter. Just sayin'.

He still hasn't put together 4 good quarters in a row, so I guess I don't understand the fuss.

He's been good in spots, HORRIBLE in others. His ability to go 3-and-out in record time is what hurt our defense against Tampa and Kansas City late in each game. The defense itself - scheme, personnel, etc. - were fine. But Curtis gave them nothing to work with after the intermission.

Well..........I'd rather have Luck backing up Manning next year, and Painter backing up some other teams starter. Just sayin'.

No one is "backing up" Manning. Peyton's out, so someone HAD to play. I'd rather pay a guy Painter wages and wait for Manning's return than pay someone 1st pick money to ride the pine.

Just sayin'.

He still hasn't put together 4 good quarters in a row, so I guess I don't understand the fuss.

He's been good in spots, HORRIBLE in others. His ability to go 3-and-out in record time is what hurt our defense against Tampa and Kansas City late in each game. The defense itself - scheme, personnel, etc. - were fine. But Curtis gave them nothing to work with after the intermission.

Don't forget that the Colts essentially had only one possession in the third quarter against KC, and that was three runs and a punt. I find it highly unlikely that at this stage of his career it was Painter making those calls. The Colts tried a conservative approach (and by the way, the previous week everyone was yelling because they didn't run the ball enough in the second half) and it failed miserably. By the time the fourth quarter was under way the lead was only 3 points and the defense was toast.

Painter did move the ball successfully in the fourth quarter, but Clark drops largely killed two possessions in a row. I only saw Painter make two poor passes in that second half - both to Reggie - and both on 3rd down under a lot of defensive pressure. All in all I was delighted with his performance.

I didn't and still don't. Amazing what 2 blown coverages and 100yac will do for fans.

Not sure exactly what you are talking about. If this is a sarcastic brush off of Painter, perhaps you should rewatch the first half - which was chock full of lovely timing passes with the ball placed where only the receiver could catch it. There wasn't even a "near" turnover of any kind, and the completion % was terrific - despite a drop or two. This is all reflected in the QB rating which was near the theoretical maximum. If Peyton had done it you would have likely been whooping it up.

What is the point of refusing to acknowledge something that is right in front of your face?

I predict that this week will launch Curtis Painter on his way to a long and illustrious career as one of the top QBs in the NFL.

After this season, we will trade Curtis Painter and have the 1st and 2nd pick in the entire draft!

If Curtis turns out to be one of the top QBs in the NFL and he already knows our system, why would we get rid of him? 6' 4" 230lb quarterbacks that can throw the ball precisely and run a no huddle offense aren't that easy to come by. You think we should give him up if he proves to be great? For what, an unproven college quarterback?

I don't understand why everyone is still so hard on him. If he had gone out and made Kerry Collins look good, that would be one thing. But he has gone out and impressed everyone, even myself who was praying that he would at least play decent. The second half play calling was (as noted above) not his decision. What he was asked to do, he did well. I remember a moment in the game where they started talking about him alongside the "other" great quarterbacks that have come from Perdu. He has gotten better every game so far, lets hope he keeps up the trend. I am rooting for him.

The 67 yard TD was a result because Painter faked a throw to Clark over the middle which got Flowers to bite hard to the inside. It wasn't just a straight up blown coverage.

In my eyes, that shows intelligence as a quarterback. He knew where he wanted to go with the ball, but he needed to move the one obstacle standing in his way. He faked him out, and had a clear throwing lane. That kind of instinct takes a lot of discipline.

I believed in Peyton Manning when all of you guys wanted to trade him a few years ago. I said "noooo, no. He's going to be good one of these days". But none of you believed me. Everyone thought he was overrated, but I stood my ground and said"Nooooo, no, he's going to be considered almost as good as Tom Brady some day". Now look, he's proven me right and the rest of you should be on your knees thanking me for my foresight.

Not sure exactly what you are talking about. If this is a sarcastic brush off of Painter, perhaps you should rewatch the first half - which was chock full of lovely timing passes with the ball placed where only the receiver could catch it. There wasn't even a "near" turnover of any kind, and the completion % was terrific - despite a drop or two. This is all reflected in the QB rating which was near the theoretical maximum. If Peyton had done it you would have likely been whooping it up.

What is the point of refusing to acknowledge something that is right in front of your face?

The first half you say? Hmm didn't dawn on me that we only played halves of games around here, although that would make sense. While that pump fake was nice, if you go back and look like I'm doing at this very moment, Flowers doesn't even break to Clark till after the pump is complete. It was a bad play, and had Painter not made that throw, like he didn't make it about 10plays earlier, he wouldn't have made it out of Lucas with a paycheck.

I'm not trying to bash, but let's get realistic here folks. Yea he's played better, and his lack of turnovers recently has really impressed me, but that's about it. His completion % is atrocious, and his TDs look a lot better after Garçon does 181 yards after the catch.

I find it hilarious you make the statement 'refusing to acknowledge something right in from of your face'. Like an 0-5 record? Like a 44% completion rate. His inability to score points when needed. Or perhaps his one good throw really helps you forget the 3 drive killers he put at a WR feet. Or how about 4th and 6 and throwing to a well covered Gonzo, who is 3yds from the LoS. How's that for acknowledgment.

Has Painter gotten better, absolutely, but it's not to hard when you start at the bottom.