Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Believed In Curtis Painter All Along!

OJl

Shame on most of you people! I am never one to say "I told you so!" But...I TOLD YOU SO!

I knew all along that Curtis Painter could play and you people shouldn't have doubted him either!

Patchwork offensive line, no running game to help him, Dallas Clark slapping passes away like rabid possums flying at him...NO PROBLEM! Curtis was still droppin' dimes on P-Garcon and Reggie and even Collie got into the act with a couple of nice grabs!

QB ain't the problem no mo'!

What a hilarious quote! haha

Unfortunately, I wasn't a Painter believer until I saw how he could play after extended practice with the 1st team. I'm very happy to see how he's progressed and excited to see more from him. He definitely gives our team a spark at that position. Wish he could somehow light a fire under the D and Coyer. (And ST's)

Shame on most of you people! I am never one to say "I told you so!" But...I TOLD YOU SO!

I knew all along that Curtis Painter could play and you people shouldn't have doubted him either!

Patchwork offensive line, no running game to help him, Dallas Clark slapping passes away like rabid possums flying at him...NO PROBLEM! Curtis was still droppin' dimes on P-Garcon and Reggie and even Collie got into the act with a couple of nice grabs!

You sure called it man! In fact, you called it a pile of dog crap! There were a few who were supportive of Painter from the start. You, however, do not appear to be among them.

The first half you say? Hmm didn't dawn on me that we only played halves of games around here, although that would make sense. While that pump fake was nice, if you go back and look like I'm doing at this very moment, Flowers doesn't even break to Clark till after the pump is complete. It was a bad play, and had Painter not made that throw, like he didn't make it about 10plays earlier, he wouldn't have made it out of Lucas with a paycheck.

I'm not trying to bash, but let's get realistic here folks. Yea he's played better, and his lack of turnovers recently has really impressed me, but that's about it. His completion % is atrocious, and his TDs look a lot better after Garçon does 181 yards after the catch.

I find it hilarious you make the statement 'refusing to acknowledge something right in from of your face'. Like an 0-5 record? Like a 44% completion rate. His inability to score points when needed. Or perhaps his one good throw really helps you forget the 3 drive killers he put at a WR feet. Or how about 4th and 6 and throwing to a well covered Gonzo, who is 3yds from the LoS. How's that for acknowledgment.

Has Painter gotten better, absolutely, but it's not to hard when you start at the bottom.

I think that all of our opinions are off and the real answer is somewhere in the middle... Painter isn't Peyton. And hes still getting experience. I think everyone around here is excited can actually score. When Collins was in all we seemed to be able to do was score FGs. We like that we have a chance to win with Painter. No one said he is Peyton or any other starting QB in the league. Hes getting the job done and is getting more blame than he should... But this is the first time I think I'll ever see, if we win a game, he wont get more credit than he should he will probably get less... Id like to see how Painter pans out by the end of this year. But for the now I have faith in him.

Well, I admit I had zero confidence in Painter, but to be honest, I still don't have a ton of confidence in him. Yes, he has certainly been better than Collins, but in reality, that hasn't been that difficult to achieve. I am still under no illusion that painter will ever be anymore than an emergency backup QB in the NFL. He has shown that he has a good arm and can make some throws but most NFL backups can do the same thing.

Well, I admit I had zero confidence in Painter, but to be honest, I still don't have a ton of confidence in him. Yes, he has certainly been better than Collins, but in reality, that hasn't been that difficult to achieve. I am still under no illusion that painter will ever be anymore than an emergency backup QB in the NFL. He has shown that he has a good arm and can make some throws but most NFL backups can do the same thing.

+1

I would like to see Orlovsky play this week for a while. For comparison between the two.

PLEASE!!!!, Curtis Painter has looked awful in many games where we pulled Manning early including pre-season games over his tenure as a COLTS backup QB. He has looked totally clueless many times and you've had to see that over the last few years. Yes, he is taking advantage of his chance and doing below average but that's better than he has looked in the past. Below average because he has NOT directed us to any wins, he's winless and will remain below average UNTIL he guides us to victory, BOTTOM LINE. This is a BOTTOM LINE business and losing is not putting him up on ANY pedestal.

Don't be logical about this... Because he's the "best we've got"he has a never-ending supply of mulligans and we're supposed to worship him like he's the next great savior.

An outsider would come in and see the Painter love and quite possibly assume we're a team where good quarterback play is a rarity...

The first half you say? Hmm didn't dawn on me that we only played halves of games around here, although that would make sense. While that pump fake was nice, if you go back and look like I'm doing at this very moment, Flowers doesn't even break to Clark till after the pump is complete. It was a bad play, and had Painter not made that throw, like he didn't make it about 10plays earlier, he wouldn't have made it out of Lucas with a paycheck. I'm not trying to bash, but let's get realistic here folks. Yea he's played better, and his lack of turnovers recently has really impressed me, but that's about it. His completion % is atrocious, and his TDs look a lot better after Garçon does 181 yards after the catch. I find it hilarious you make the statement 'refusing to acknowledge something right in from of your face'. Like an 0-5 record? Like a 44% completion rate. His inability to score points when needed. Or perhaps his one good throw really helps you forget the 3 drive killers he put at a WR feet. Or how about 4th and 6 and throwing to a well covered Gonzo, who is 3yds from the LoS. How's that for acknowledgment. Has Painter gotten better, absolutely, but it's not to hard when you start at the bottom.

Good job, are you talking about Painter or are you talking about the first pick in the 1998 draft?

He was 0-4 his first 4 games and to even compare to Painter who really has only started one game.

The top pick threw 3 TD's AND 11 INT'S!

WOW, I'M SURE YOU THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO BE GREAT!

The first half you say? Hmm didn't dawn on me that we only played halves of games around here, although that would make sense. While that pump fake was nice, if you go back and look like I'm doing at this very moment, Flowers doesn't even break to Clark till after the pump is complete. It was a bad play, and had Painter not made that throw, like he didn't make it about 10plays earlier, he wouldn't have made it out of Lucas with a paycheck.

I'm not trying to bash, but let's get realistic here folks. Yea he's played better, and his lack of turnovers recently has really impressed me, but that's about it. His completion % is atrocious, and his TDs look a lot better after Garçon does 181 yards after the catch.

I find it hilarious you make the statement 'refusing to acknowledge something right in from of your face'. Like an 0-5 record? Like a 44% completion rate. His inability to score points when needed. Or perhaps his one good throw really helps you forget the 3 drive killers he put at a WR feet. Or how about 4th and 6 and throwing to a well covered Gonzo, who is 3yds from the LoS. How's that for acknowledgment.

Has Painter gotten better, absolutely, but it's not to hard when you start at the bottom.

a) He's an inexperienced QB, and we're talking about his development, not the teams chances of winning the super bowl this year. Peyton usually played dramatically better in one half compared to the other for about the first five years of his career. Painter has played 2 1/4 games!

b)I said nothing about the pump fake. Garcon has been brilliant, just like Harrison and Wayne were brilliant for Peyton for years. Of course Clark was also a magician for Peyton, now he has stone hands. Did you go searching for reasons to diminish Peyton's accomplishments when Harrison laid out like a trapeze artist and snagged an un-catchable ball with one hand? It was a perfectly executed play. A month ago Painter might not have even looked at Garcon because he'd be too fixated on Wayne on the other side. He handled that play like a seasoned veteran, but you still feel the need to trivialize it. I'm not sure what mistake you are referring to. After that 2nd TD to Garcon, Painter was 9 for 13, with a couple of drops. The Colts had scored on 3 out of 4 drives, with the only "miss" being the drive where Addai got hurt and Eldridge held on successive plays. Please tell me what ANY QB - even Peyton - could have done that would have been more impressive at that point. The Colts looked like the Colts again. Your line suggesting that he would have been fired if he had missed that pass is so off base I'd have to say that I previously didn't grasp how deep seated and unreasonable your bias is.

c) The completion percentage was dramatically improved this week compared to the prior, despite several drops. Once again, strong and rapid progress, which should be the criteria, not wins and losses. Once again, Peyton lost his first four starts, with 3 TDs, 11 interceptions, less yards per game on more attempts - all combining for an absolutely horrific QB rating. Painters rating is 100.0 for the season. It was also 111.4 against Green Bay. Exactly what standard are you holding him up to?

d) There wasn't a single throw at a receivers feet. The fact that he used to do that every 3-4 passes and has cut it way back is an indication to me that he is getting more comfortable - just like the reduction in turnovers. Against Tampa he has 2-3 bad passes that could have been picked off. Against KC - none.

e) I'm quite confident that the throw to Gonzo was done solely with the expectation of getting a penalty. The guy appeared to be getting mugged right in front of him. If you throw the ball you get the call, if you don't the refs might ignore it. It's called shrewd, heads up QB play - like what you'd get from Peyton.

What is your agenda? Nobody is saying that Painter is a superstar, just that he is improving by leaps and bounds. This is a good thing.

The "Painter" arguments have always been a matter of perspective. After the horrendous Jets game I said "yeah, he made a couple of bad plays, but he was playing with scrubs against a fired up Jets defense - one of the best in football. Look at the bright side, instead of crumbling he came back later and make a couple of really nice passes. If he can do THAT in that horrible situation, than the mistakes mean nothing. He's clearly got talent." But no TV show that I saw ever showed one of the nice passes, they were having too much fun making fun of him. It became an easy joke that they were still trying to milk until he came in against the Packers and showed them something. The tv analysts have now COMPLETELY turned around and all I hear from them are compliments. The question is, why are there still Colts fans who seem to prefer it when he was viewed as a joke?

Good job, are you talking about Painter or are you talking about the first pick in the 1998 draft?

He was 0-4 his first 4 games and to even compare to Painter who really has only started one game.

The top pick threw 3 TD's AND 11 INT'S!

WOW, I'M SURE YOU THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO BE GREAT!

Laughable at best. Someone doesn't seem to remember how bad the '98 Colts were, or how we were starting to build a new, revolutionary offense around our new QB...

The differences are night and day in your comparison. The talent around the QB position is 200% better in 2011 than it was in 1998, and Peyton Manning was a rookie setting out to change the world. Success didn't just happen overnight because of the things we were setting out to do that made us successful for the next decade...

Painter, on the other hand, has been in this system for sufficient time now with a much more talented team, and the results, though not turnover-laden, are still nothing to brag about in the NFL. Or the UFL. Or even the CFL.

Laughable at best. Someone doesn't seem to remember how bad the '98 Colts were, or how we were starting to build a new, revolutionary offense around our new QB...

The differences are night and day in your comparison. The talent around the QB position is 200% better in 2011 than it was in 1998, and Peyton Manning was a rookie setting out to change the world. Success didn't just happen overnight because of the things we were setting out to do that made us successful for the next decade...

Painter, on the other hand, has been in this system for sufficient time now with a much more talented team, and the results, though not turnover-laden, are still nothing to brag about in the NFL. Or the UFL. Or even the CFL.

Ever heard of Marvin Harrison, Tarik Glenn, Adam Meadows, Marshall Faulk, Ken Dilger, Marcus Pollard? The 2011 Colts have better depth at RB and WR, and an old pro at center, but no-one in their right mind wouldn't prefer the players I listed over the current Colts in a heartbeat. Both olines were young, but I doubt that in 98 they were starting scrubs at both tackle spots.

The goal of playing Painter is to develop Peyton's backup for the next several years - nothing more. The fact that he played as well as any starter in the league for the first half against KC is enormously encouraging. Bragging is childish, but there is plenty for Colts fans to be happy about. Why aren't you?

Really? 200% better quality? I think everything is even then as now. Look at our O line, runningback after Addai was hurt and not to mention the defense.

Ever heard of Marvin Harrison, Tarik Glenn, Adam Meadows, Marshall Faulk, Ken Dilger, Marcus Pollard? The 2011 Colts have better depth at RB and WR, and an old pro at center, but no-one in their right mind wouldn't prefer the players I listed over the current Colts in a heartbeat. Both olines were young, but I doubt that in 98 they were starting scrubs at both tackle spots.

The goal of playing Painter is to develop Peyton's backup for the next several years - nothing more. The fact that he played as well as any starter in the league for the first half against KC is enormously encouraging. Bragging is childish, but there is plenty for Colts fans to be happy about. Why aren't you?

Because sub-par QB play isn't anything to be excited or happy about, backup or not.. On this "Painter scale" you people have created, JaMarcus Russell was worth every freakin penny the Raiders wasted on him.

Seriously, is a 50% completion rate and enough yards in a second half to help preserve a three score lead really too much to ask? According to you Painter supporters it is because he's the best we've got.

In that case, let's take that theoretical nonsense and apply it elsewhere:

Jacob Lacey has played great this season because he's the best we've got.

Our sub-par pass blocking this season has been great because it's the best we've got.

Our meathead of a DC is doing a great job because he's the best we've got.

Our bumbling HC is doing a great job because he's the best we've got.

Gee, when you start to put that shoe on elsewhere it doesn't fit so well, does it? So why does Painter continually get the passes that others are not?

The fact that he played as well as any starter in the league for the first half against KC is enormously encouraging.

Now you wanna talk about silliness, that's it right there.

Football games are two halves.

And if you think every scrub who ever played one good half of football was kept around for it you're sadly mistaken.

Remember Kenton Keith? Ask him how that great game (A full game! Not just one half) he had a few years back made his career the next time he's bagging your freaking groceries.

Painter has surprised me,while i think he will never be great.He has played well enough,if not for coyer's horrible defense.For those who rip his completion percentage,keep in mind he has started 2 games.Give him a chance he could become a servicable back up type.Replacing a legend is tough .

Edited by coltfaninnewyork

Because sub-par QB play isn't anything to be excited or happy about, backup or not.. On this "Painter scale" you people have created, JaMarcus Russell was worth every freakin penny the Raiders wasted on him.

Seriously, is a 50% completion rate and enough yards in a second half to help preserve a three score lead really too much to ask? According to you Painter supporters it is because he's the best we've got.

In that case, let's take that theoretical nonsense and apply it elsewhere:

Jacob Lacey has played great this season because he's the best we've got.

Our sub-par pass blocking this season has been great because it's the best we've got.

Our meathead of a DC is doing a great job because he's the best we've got.

Our bumbling HC is doing a great job because he's the best we've got.

Gee, when you start to put that shoe on elsewhere it doesn't fit so well, does it? So why does Painter continually get the passes that others are not?

Now you wanna talk about silliness, that's it right there.

Football games are two halves.

And if you think every scrub who ever played one good half of football was kept around for it you're sadly mistaken.

Remember Kenton Keith? Ask him how that great game (A full game! Not just one half) he had a few years back made his career the next time he's bagging your freaking groceries.

I realize that you take enormous pleasure in cynicism, but you could at least read what I wrote instead of seizing on something unrelated because it makes for good fun. I've never based any Painter comment on his being "the best that we've got", I've evaluated him as an individual, and I like what I see. If someone demonstrates a capability, then you extrapolate from that what else they may be capable of. His play was FAR from sub-par, and more importantly he is improving. If he never improves another iota he has already provided an enormous level of comfort that the Colts actually can bring him in as a backup and continue to function. NO-ONE - including the people who saw potential in him - thought that as recently as the opening whistle against the Packers.That ALONE is something to be happy about, and all that anyone expects in a back-up QB in the first place. But the rapid pace of his improvement suggests that he could even exceed that goal.

You could try being fair and accurate as a starting point before you go off on a flight of fancy.

By the way, Lacey lacks the physical skills to be a starting CB in this league. I've never wasted a word defending him other than to point out that he tackles OK, so maybe they that's why they favor him. That doesn't mean that I don't want him replaced ASAP.

Kenton Keith - like any RB in the history of the sport, pro or college, can occasionally rack up some yards if there are big hole available. I don't even recall the game you spoke of, nor ever cared about him one iota. Frankly I always dismissed even Rhodes as being below average at best - despite his occasional success - and wanted no part of him returning next year.

And as far as a QB being useless if they only play one half, I refer you to my other post in which I pointed out that Peyton was notorious for often only being effective for one half for the first five YEARS of his career. Now that I think about it, he was utterly incapable of playing in cold weather as well. Did you want him replaced back then?

I realize that you take enormous pleasure in cynicism, but you could at least read what I wrote instead of seizing on something unrelated because it makes for good fun. I've never based any Painter comment on his being "the best that we've got", I've evaluated him as an individual, and I like what I see. If someone demonstrates a capability, then you extrapolate from that what else they may be capable of. His play was FAR from sub-par, and more importantly he is improving. If he never improves another iota he has already provided an enormous level of comfort that the Colts actually can bring him in as a backup and continue to function. NO-ONE - including the people who saw potential in him - thought that as recently as the opening whistle against the Packers.That ALONE is something to be happy about, and all that anyone expects in a back-up QB in the first place. But the rapid pace of his improvement suggests that he could even exceed that goal.

You could try being fair and accurate as a starting point before you go off on a flight of fancy.

By the way, Lacey lacks the physical skills to be a starting CB in this league. I've never wasted a word defending him other than to point out that he tackles OK, so maybe they that's why they favor him. That doesn't mean that I don't want him replaced ASAP.

Kenton Keith - like any RB in the history of the sport, pro or college, can occasionally rack up some yards if there are big hole available. I don't even recall the game you spoke of, nor ever cared about him one iota. Frankly I always dismissed even Rhodes as being below average at best - despite his occasional success - and wanted no part of him returning next year.

And as far as a QB being useless if they only play one half, I refer you to my other post in which I pointed out that Peyton was notorious for often only being effective for one half for the first five YEARS of his career. Now that I think about it, he was utterly incapable of playing in cold weather as well. Did you want him replaced back then?

Ok, I get it, I get it. I can see that no matter how ineffective he is, how many drives he stalls, how many W's he fails to put up, there will always be an excuse for Painter. I get it.

Painter is god.

Smite me for ever thinking otherwise.

Can't reply to Waylon on this anymore. Seems to be playing devils advocate, because makes no sense.

Peyton finished 3 - 13 his first year.

If anyone thinks he's comming back with a neck/nerve injury. I don't think so.

Comparing Painter to Manning in terms of quality.

And I'm the cynical one...

... Right, however that works.

Ok, I get it, I get it. I can see that no matter how ineffective he is, how many drives he stalls, how many W's he fails to put up, there will always be an excuse for Painter. I get it.

Painter is god.

He killed 2-3 drives in the KC game that he might have extended with better passes. Does that seem unusually high to you compared to other starting QBs? On the other hand he made great plays to extend 4-5 drives, and suffered through an exceptional number of drops. He wasn't the reason that the Colts lost that game, but he was a significant contributor towards them nearly winning it. Apparently that means nothing to you.

I've never made an excuse for Painter, I've merely pointed out the positives and expressed some optimism that the ridiculous mistakes will decrease as he gets more playing time. More to the point I WANT this to happen, and I'm happy that it's trending well. Perhaps when he was playing poorly it was more fun to joke about, and now your disappointed at the loss of material.

"Painter is God"? Not quite, however in all the years that Jim Sorgi was the Colts backup I never saw him exhibit a fraction of the ability that Painter now has. You don't think that that's something to applaud?

I'm not entirely sure that we are participating in the same conversation. I'm wondering what words you'll put in my mouth next.

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, October 13, 2011 - perceived as a personal shot by MAC
Hidden by shecolt, October 13, 2011 - perceived as a personal shot by MAC

He killed 2-3 drives in the KC game that he might have extended with better passes. Does that seem unusually high to you compared to other starting QBs? On the other hand he made great plays to extend 4-5 drives, and suffered through an exceptional number of drops. He wasn't the reason that the Colts lost that game, but he was a significant contributor towards them nearly winning it. Apparently that means nothing to you.

I've never made an excuse for Painter, I've merely pointed out the positives and expressed some optimism that the ridiculous mistakes will decrease as he gets more playing time. More to the point I WANT this to happen, and I'm happy that it's trending well. Perhaps when he was playing poorly it was more fun to joke about, and now your disappointed at the loss of material.

"Painter is God"? Not quite, however in all the years that Jim Sorgi was the Colts backup I never saw him exhibit a fraction of the ability that Painter now has. You don't think that that's something to applaud?

I'm not entirely sure that we are participating in the same conversation. I'm wondering what words you'll put in my mouth next.

i vote Poopey. :)

a) He's an inexperienced QB, and we're talking about his development, not the teams chances of winning the super bowl this year. Peyton usually played dramatically better in one half compared to the other for about the first five years of his career. Painter has played 2 1/4 games! I didnt say hes not getting better, I actually commented on his improved lack of turnovers. Or a SB bid, just a win. Just one. And heres where you begin mentioning Painter in the same breath as Peyton

b)I said nothing about the pump fake. Garcon has been brilliant, just like Harrison and Wayne were brilliant for Peyton for years. Of course Clark was also a magician for Peyton, now he has stone hands. Did you go searching for reasons to diminish Peyton's accomplishments when Harrison laid out like a trapeze artist and snagged an un-catchable ball with one hand? It was a perfectly executed play. A month ago Painter might not have even looked at Garcon because he'd be too fixated on Wayne on the other side. He handled that play like a seasoned veteran, but you still feel the need to trivialize it. I'm not sure what mistake you are referring to. After that 2nd TD to Garcon, Painter was 9 for 13, with a couple of drops. The Colts had scored on 3 out of 4 drives, with the only "miss" being the drive where Addai got hurt and Eldridge held on successive plays. Please tell me what ANY QB - even Peyton - could have done that would have been more impressive at that point. The Colts looked like the Colts again. Your line suggesting that he would have been fired if he had missed that pass is so off base I'd have to say that I previously didn't grasp how deep seated and unreasonable your bias is. Yea, he played well in the first half, once again not debating that. And once again, you manage to somehow bring Peyton into this.

c) The completion percentage was dramatically improved this week compared to the prior, despite several drops. Once again, strong and rapid progress, which should be the criteria, not wins and losses. Once again, Peyton lost his first four starts, with 3 TDs, 11 interceptions, less yards per game on more attempts - all combining for an absolutely horrific QB rating. Painters rating is 100.0 for the season. It was also 111.4 against Green Bay. Exactly what standard are you holding him up to? Strong and Rapid progress? You've literally seen him have one good half of play in his Colts career. Once again, a Peyton reference. What standard am I holding him to? A game or two of solid, mistake free football. Not a half, not 3 quarters, one game. We have seen glimpses, and yes they look nice, but we have yet to actually see it. It is what it is.

d) There wasn't a single throw at a receivers feet. The fact that he used to do that every 3-4 passes and has cut it way back is an indication to me that he is getting more comfortable - just like the reduction in turnovers. Against Tampa he has 2-3 bad passes that could have been picked off. Against KC - none. He did do pretty Ok against KC. In the first half. No Peyton references. Now with the meat of the schedule coming up, hopefully he can build from that first half.

e) I'm quite confident that the throw to Gonzo was done solely with the expectation of getting a penalty. The guy appeared to be getting mugged right in front of him. If you throw the ball you get the call, if you don't the refs might ignore it. It's called shrewd, heads up QB play - like what you'd get from Peyton. 5yds with in the line of scrimmage. Contact. That play was actually the epitome of the Colts season. 4th and 6 and we throw it 3 yds into the ground to a player who hasn't sniffed playing time all year, who was well covered. Pitiful.

What is your agenda? Nobody is saying that Painter is a superstar, just that he is improving by leaps and bounds. This is a good thing. My agenda is to be loud, and express to the front office that as a fan base we don't find 0-5 acceptable and that every single person in those uniforms and FO is responsible for this hole. I'll complain about the color of the paper towel dispensers if it will pressure someone into making moves to insure the future success of this franchise. I don't have a phone line to ole Bill, but I have this forum.

The "Painter" arguments have always been a matter of perspective. After the horrendous Jets game I said "yeah, he made a couple of bad plays, but he was playing with scrubs against a fired up Jets defense - one of the best in football. Look at the bright side, instead of crumbling he came back later and make a couple of really nice passes. If he can do THAT in that horrible situation, than the mistakes mean nothing. He's clearly got talent." But no TV show that I saw ever showed one of the nice passes, they were having too much fun making fun of him. It became an easy joke that they were still trying to milk until he came in against the Packers and showed them something. The tv analysts have now COMPLETELY turned around and all I hear from them are compliments. The question is, why are there still Colts fans who seem to prefer it when he was viewed as a joke? I hope he builds from that KC game, its our only hope, but if his past performances are any indication, and with the strength of our schedule coming up I just dont see it happening. So instead of trying compliment my way to a 2-14 season, and give out participation trophies to all the guys, giving there best. Im going to point out every flaw, see if it outweighs the positives, and assess if they need to be apart of this team moving forward. And in Painters case, its not looking good.

Just for the record, I'm not comparing him to Peyton in the way that you seem to think. It's a given that Peyton is on a unique level. The point with each Peyton reference is that if PEYTON had certain problems when he was first starting, why is it unacceptable for Painter to have problems? It takes time for any QB to develop this league. I'm just pointing out the positives, not suggesting that he is a hall of famer.

In other words, I see him play a half really well, and I focus on the "really well" part. I think maybe in the future he will be able to play an entire game really well. Maybe even an entire season. If he can make one brilliant pass, than he can make 1,000 brilliant passes. Why not? Compare that to someone like Sorgi who merely attempted to be a game manager, and wasn't particularly effective at that. Why look at his performance and emphasize the blah second half, which by the way was much more about the defense, the run offense, and Dallas Clark than it was Painter.

Painter is god.

While you're ripping Painter for his ineffectiveness and for stalling drives, why not also rip the defense for totally collapsing, any receivers/TE's for dropping passes, RB's for not gaining enough yards and lack of in-game adjustments. And also, remember that the lack of W's is a result of poor play from several individuals; and that a win is a T-E-A-M effort.

Edited by NM_Colts

I'll take that lineup over what we have now anyday. :yes:

While you're ripping Painter for his ineffectiveness and for stalling drives, why not also rip the defense for totally collapsing, any receivers/TE's for dropping passes, RB's for not gaining enough yards and lack of in-game adjustments. And also, remember that the lack of W's is a result of poor play from several individuals; and that a win is a T-E-A-M effort.

Yup, that pretty much sums up the KC game.

Uh, I am.

There's nothing we're doing at all well, but the general consensus is to give Painter a universal pass because he's done better than Collins and "he's the best we've got."

So why are people beating up the defense? It's the best we've got.

That flawed logic just doesn't fly, except when it comes to Painter.

Why?

Uh, I am.

There's nothing we're doing at all well, but the general consensus is to give Painter a universal pass because he's done better than Collins and "he's the best we've got."

So why are people beating up the defense? It's the best we've got.

That flawed logic just doesn't fly, except when it comes to Painter.

Why?

QB is a two man core. The defense has what.....two dozen players and we can't figure it? I think the point is, Painter is good enough to win games, the defense is not.

The goal of playing Painter is to develop Peyton's backup for the next several years - nothing more.

Well, I hope more, I hope he will develop to be Peyton's successor. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect it to happen, I just hope it will. The last two games showed some very promising development. The guy has all the necessary physical tools, and now we know that he can actually throw the ball, and understands the system. Of course, he can't finish/win a game, he can't lead the team though difficult periods, he is probably bad in red zone, etc. But these are those things, that all QBs need to learn in their beginning of their carreer. Even great ones. So I won't be surprised if he will throw 5 INTs in a game, or struggle in red zone. The important thing for him is to show continuous improvement. If that will make him a trustworthy backup, then so be it. If that will make him the future franchise QB, then it's absolutely great. It would save us a future 1st round draft pick, that we could spend on the team instead of a QB.

Well, I hope more, I hope he will develop to be Peyton's successor. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect it to happen, I just hope it will. The last two games showed some very promising development. The guy has all the necessary physical tools, and now we know that he can actually throw the ball, and understands the system. Of course, he can't finish/win a game, he can't lead the team though difficult periods, he is probably bad in red zone, etc. But these are those things, that all QBs need to learn in their beginning of their carreer. Even great ones. So I won't be surprised if he will throw 5 INTs in a game, or struggle in red zone. The important thing for him is to show continuous improvement. If that will make him a trustworthy backup, then so be it. If that will make him the future franchise QB, then it's absolutely great. It would save us a future 1st round draft pick, that we could spend on the team instead of a QB.

I've been incessantly defending Painter, but the fact is that at age 26, the only realistic way in which he succeeds Peyton is if Manning never returns. I'm of the belief that Peyton will play out his contract - and then some - at which point Painter will be 30 or more. It is far more likely that if Painter shows the ability to start, he will either be traded or sign elsewhere upon the expiration of his contract.

But it's good to know that we have a good quarterback as our backup. We've been looking for a good backup since Earl Morrall! If PM ever goes down (God forbid), we have Painter to go to and he ain't that bad. Agree on the confidence thing, still don't have a ton in him.

you were the one