Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Finally Some Resolution

BlueShoe

Our franchise was in shambles in the early 1990's and we had the second pick in the 1994 draft. The first time I saw Marshall Faulk play in college, I said out loud I want him to become a Colt, and that dream was becoming more of a possibility entering the 1994 draft. He was electric and his running style was like nothing I had ever seen before. He could also catch the ball better than most receivers. Cincinnati had the first pick and when they passed on Marshall Faulk, I almost cried (I did tear up). I was a  teenager, but I knew what this pick meant for the Indianapolis Colts. Faulk was the most dynamic player I had ever seen play.

A few years later, we drafted Harrison, and then a few more years later we drafted Peyton. The Colts were set to rein havoc on the NFL for years, having the best players in the league at each skilled position on offense. 

After the 1998 season, Bill Polian traded away Marshall Faulk, and to this day I have not forgiven him for it. Bill Polian, as great as he was, was arrogant when it came to paying good players like Faulk. I was so upset that I did not speak to anyone for a few days. I just could not understand why Bill Polian could be so obnoxious to trade Faulk away, when we had so much going for us. 

We drafted Edgerrin, and I became a fan of his, but even if he was superman he could never have replaced Faulk. Keep in mind I was barely old enough to drink, and I had a certain vision of the Colts, which is much different than an adult looks at business, and how I view the world today. I grew up watching football in a different era, when teams kept its own players for years, and I felt robbed of that experience. I was robbed of that. All Colts fans were robbed of that.

It is very unlikely that with a quarterback of Lucks caliber,  we were ever going to draft high enough to get a running back of Trent Richardson’s quality. No matter how much we all believe that backs are devalued these days, you have to pick very high to get a back of this stature. That will never change. The AP’s the Faulk’s, the Lynch's,  and the Richardson’s go too quickly. 

Trent Richardson is not Marshall Faulk, but he is a clone of Marshawn Lynch, only younger. Today, September 18, 2013 is my birthday. Crazy how things work out, as I have said for years now that Lynch is the best running back in the NFL, and that includes AP. I really believe this. And I understand it is debatable. We don’t have to argue as this is just my take. 

We got a big time player here folks and he is very young. The trio of Luck, Richardson, and Hilton starts today. It does not feel right calling them the Three-Headed-Monsters, as that has already been taken and forever enshrined. Again, we have three dynamic players at each skilled position on offense, and they are all in year 2. WOW! 

I feel like we are getting a redo. 

Happy Birthday to me!

Buckle up everyone. We are in for the ride of our lives here. 

my biggest question is, how expensive is it going to be to re sign both Richardson and Luck in a few years

They are both signed through 2013 and the following 3 years . That's assuming the Colts use the 5th year team option on both players. At that point in time , they will have to look at how much tread they believe is left on Richardson's wheels and make an offer. I would think that Richardson will not be the "no brainer" that Luck will be. 

They are both signed through 2013 and the following 3 years . That's assuming the Colts use the 5th year team option on both players. At that point in time , they will have to look at how much tread they believe is left on Richardson's wheels and make an offer. I would think that Richardson will not be the "no brainer" that Luck will be. 

That troubles me a bit, actually. Was thinking about that earlier today. I don't know what the numbers will look like for running backs after next season (which is when the fifth year option has to be exercised). Having a high one year cap hold on two players like that isn't ideal.

That troubles me a bit, actually. Was thinking about that earlier today. I don't know what the numbers will look like for running backs after next season (which is when the fifth year option has to be exercised). Having a high one year cap hold on two players like that isn't ideal.

Are you just talking about 2016 ? If so , Richardson's number would probably be around 8 mill which should not be prohibitive with Luck earning the ave of the top 10 QB's.  

Are you just talking about 2016 ? If so , Richardson's number would probably be around 8 mill which should not be prohibitive with Luck earning the ave of the top 10 QB's.  

I have to change my attitude about paying backs. If Richardson is what we hope he can be, then $8m is less cringe-worthy. But if I had my druthers, we wouldn't be spending that kind of money on a back. 

This is still all so new. The fifth year option / extension has never been done to this point. The previous year's picks will have gone through this by that time, but it still won't be a well beaten path. And the only RB taken in the first round in 2011 was Mark Ingram, and he was at the end of the first round. He's also not going to be worthy of a fifth year option, not unless he really steps it up this year (his option has to be exercised this year, not next).

I have to change my attitude about paying backs. If Richardson is what we hope he can be, then $8m is less cringe-worthy. But if I had my druthers, we wouldn't be spending that kind of money on a back. 

This is still all so new. The fifth year option / extension has never been done to this point. The previous year's picks will have gone through this by that time, but it still won't be a well beaten path. And the only RB taken in the first round in 2011 was Mark Ingram, and he was at the end of the first round. He's also not going to be worthy of a fifth year option, not unless he really steps it up this year (his option has to be exercised this year, not next).

You no doubt have a valid concern when it comes to paying RB's big money.. especially if we're talking about 2nd contracts.

I'm sure that it will all work out. If he pans out, we could have the makings of a truly great offense. At worst, we have an above average back for the next three years and whoever we pick up between now and then. I think he will be great here, and truly help this offense rely less on Luck.

One thing is for sure, Sup...we all want him to be a great acquisition. Your concerns are valid as injuries is the great unknown, not to mention unforeseen compatibility issues with scheme, coaching, or the locker room.

Our franchise was in shambles in the early 1990's and we had the second pick in the 1994 draft. The first time I saw Marshall Faulk play in college, I said out loud I want him to become a Colt, and that dream was becoming more of a possibility entering the 1994 draft. He was electric and his running style was like nothing I had ever seen before. He could also catch the ball better than most receivers. Cincinnati had the first pick and when they passed on Marshall Faulk, I almost cried (I did tear up). I was a  teenager, but I knew what this pick meant for the Indianapolis Colts. Faulk was the most dynamic player I had ever seen play.

A few years later, we drafted Harrison, and then a few more years later we drafted Peyton. The Colts were set to rein havoc on the NFL for years, having the best players in the league at each skilled position on offense. 

After the 1998 season, Bill Polian traded away Marshall Faulk, and to this day I have not forgiven him for it. Bill Polian, as great as he was, was arrogant when it came to paying good players like Faulk. I was so upset that I did not speak to anyone for a few days. I just could not understand why Bill Polian could be so obnoxious to trade Faulk away, when we had so much going for us. 

We drafted Edgerrin, and I became a fan of his, but even if he was superman he could never have replaced Faulk. Keep in mind I was barely old enough to drink, and I had a certain vision of the Colts, which is much different than an adult looks at business, and how I view the world today. I grew up watching football in a different era, when teams kept its own players for years, and I felt robbed of that experience. I was robbed of that. All Colts fans were robbed of that.

It is very unlikely that with a quarterback of Lucks caliber,  we were ever going to draft high enough to get a running back of Trent Richardson’s quality. No matter how much we all believe that backs are devalued these days, you have to pick very high to get a back of this stature. That will never change. The AP’s the Faulk’s, the Lynch's,  and the Richardson’s go too quickly. 

Trent Richardson is not Marshall Faulk, but he is a clone of Marshawn Lynch, only younger. Today, September 18, 2013 is my birthday. Crazy how things work out, as I have said for years now that Lynch is the best running back in the NFL, and that includes AP. I really believe this. And I understand it is debatable. We don’t have to argue as this is just my take. 

We got a big time player here folks and he is very young. The trio of Luck, Richardson, and Hilton starts today. It does not feel right calling them the Three-Headed-Monsters, as that has already been taken and forever enshrined. Again, we have three dynamic players at each skilled position on offense, and they are all in year 2. WOW! 

I feel like we are getting a redo. 

Happy Birthday to me!

Buckle up everyone. We are in for the ride of our lives here. 

Happy Birthday and I really enjoyed your take...

Edited by Superman

By that time the cap should have jumped significantly from the new CBA, which I believe is 15' or 16' when the new cap jump kicks in.

All that means is that player salaries will go up too. So in essence, we won't be gaining anything. If Luck and Richardson both have a great next few seasons, one of them will have to go (and by "one of them" I mean Richardson).

All that means is that player salaries will go up too. So in essence, we won't be gaining anything. If Luck and Richardson both have a great next few seasons, one of them will have to go (and by "one of them" I mean Richardson).

I think QB salaries will be artificially capped for a little while. I thought Rodgers and Ryan had the potential to really blow them out of the water, but they didn't. I think the market is going to settle for a bit, and that's reasonable. The only top notch QB with an extension on the horizon is Kaepernick, so there shouldn't be any real uptick before we have to do something with Luck.

Kaepernick was a second round pick, so the Niners don't have a fifth year option on him. The Niners can technically extend him after this season. I bet they do something with him sometime during the 2014 season, maybe in camp, maybe later on. I doubt he gets to free agency.

They could just re-sign Luck and option Rich, or vice versa.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I think QB salaries will be artificially capped for a little while. I thought Rodgers and Ryan had the potential to really blow them out of the water, but they didn't. I think the market is going to settle for a bit, and that's reasonable. The only top notch QB with an extension on the horizon is Kaepernick, so there shouldn't be any real uptick before we have to do something with Luck.

Kaepernick was a second round pick, so the Niners don't have a fifth year option on him. The Niners can technically extend him after this season. I bet they do something with him sometime during the 2014 season, maybe in camp, maybe later on. I doubt he gets to free agency.

Can't we negotiate an extension for Luck starting in his 4th year?  If so, I bet he gets extended as soon as the 2015 offseason starts.  Then we can use the 5th year option on Ricardson if we have to.

Can't we negotiate an extension for Luck starting in his 4th year?  If so, I bet he gets extended as soon as the 2015 offseason starts.  Then we can use the 5th year option on Ricardson if we have to.

That's not entirely up to us. Luck and his camp have to agree to an extension.

Guest TeamLoloJones

That's not entirely up to us. Luck and his camp have to agree to an extension.

Well of course.  I was just saying we "legally" can start the process in his 4th year.

Trent Richardson is a clone of Marshawn Lynch?

Seattle Marshawn Lynch? the Pro Bowler?

Yes. I believe they have the same skill-set. Both run the football in beast-mode exactly the same. 

In this offense (Pep's), Richardson will be voted to the Pro Bowl every year, as long as he can stay healthy. We will see a 1500+ yard season from him. I believe he will become a featured back in our offense.