Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eli Vs Peyton CLUTCH

NCost12

ColtsNation in mass help me out guys heres his response haha "Eli's 2 Super Bowls ended in game winning drives, Peyton's, well Peyton's ended in a pick six, and last years postseason, curtialpic"

He as a point honestly haha. As much as  i love peyton and have to defend this argument against eli lovers. 

Well all that matters is the Super Bowl I guess - assuming that the point you are referring to is at the top of your friends head! 

Do you realize that Eli hasn't even made it to the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years, and that the team had no playoff wins in their non SB playoff years? It's a little hard to fail in the playoffs when you are sitting on your coach. Plus he's so inconsistent that he's nearly gotten his coach fired at least twice. I love Eli, but there is no comparison between the two of them. Having "these" conversations about Brady is bad enough, but ELI. Come on.

Regarding "clutch", tell your friend to watch any of Peyton's record THIRTY-EIGHT 4th quarter comebacks, including some of the most astonishing and legendary in the history of the league. The fact that I have to tell you this suggests that perhaps you should watch some of them yourself. I'm assuming that you weren't a fan when they happened.

Well all that matters is the Super Bowl I guess - assuming that the point you are referring to is at the top of your friends head! 

Do you realize that Eli hasn't even made it to the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years, and that the team had no playoff wins in their non SB playoff years? It's a little hard to fail in the playoffs when you are sitting on your coach. Plus he's so inconsistent that he's nearly gotten his coach fired at least twice. I love Eli, but there is no comparison between the two of them. Having "these" conversations about Brady is bad enough, but ELI. Come on.

Regarding "clutch", tell your friend to watch any of Peyton's record THIRTY-EIGHT 4th quarter comebacks, including some of the most astonishing and legendary in the history of the league. The fact that I have to tell you this suggests that perhaps you should watch some of them yourself. I'm assuming that you weren't a fan when they happened.

well their logic dictates that superbowls are all that matters and Eli is clutch at those, while Peyton is a notorious choker (their logic, not mine). But yes they have pointy heads haha haha haha 

I am a die hard fan and I am 16 years old right now and cant really remember every specific Clutch performance as I was young at the time also, I am from NJ and all my family members are indeed Giant fans so I cant really watch all the games because no direct tv and couldnt go to the sports bar unless my dad felt like it and listening to the bob lamey was not a lot of fun (however, now I have direct tv on my laptop) but thanks for assuming i wasnt fan ... thanks tho as you gave me a real answer sorry that i couldnt watch every game as i was around 6-7 at the time 

I am a die hard fan and I am 16 years old right now and cant really remember every specific Clutch performance as I was young at the time also, I am from NJ and all my family members are indeed Giant fans so I cant really watch all the games because no direct tv and couldnt go to the sports bar unless my dad felt like it and listening to the bob lamey was not a lot of fun (however, now I have direct tv on my laptop) but thanks for assuming i wasnt fan ... thanks tho as you gave me a real answer sorry that i couldnt watch every game as i was around 6-7 at the time

The 2003 NFL season, week 5, MNF vs the defending champions Tampa Bay Buccaneers. This is all you need to show anyone, ever. Clutchest moment in NFL history.

Eli is an enigma. The longer he plays the more it becomes apparent that his SB's were magic carpet rides replete with all the luck of finding a gold pot at the end of a rainbow multiple times. His first pick to open the game right to Ware is classic Eli. Honestly, if he and Peyton did not look so much like, I would question if they really are brothers.

You can be clutch more often if your D just gives up 20 pts in 2 playoff runs leading to 2 SB wins.  :)  There is some truth to it because Big Ben, whenever the Steelers made the SB, made the plays when he HAD to but for the most time, his D generated good field position with turnovers or stops and kept the O in the game by not letting it get out of hand. Even in the SB he lost, the Steelers continued their aggressive D vs the Packers and gave him enough possessions to get to 25-28 before they lost 25-31. But then, Big Ben and Mendenhall turned it over 3 times that Rodgers and the Packers converted into 21 pts with a short field.

Having said that, yes, Peyton does get tight or needs to be told by someone else in the heat of battle to stay aggressive, he gets conservative and does not go for the kill shot allowing the other team to stay close. He definitely has learnt not to lose the game recently after those early years of gun slinging and throwing picks at Foxboro. But relying on D has not gotten him the results he needed. Adam Gase, his current OC, reminds me of Josh McDaniels in his aggressive playcalling, I think it will do Peyton good as this year goes on.

But then, his D has not come through for him when he has given them a 4th qtr. lead the last 5 times resulting in 5 losses (2007 divisional vs Chargers 24-21, 2008 wild card vs Chargers 17-14, 2009 SB vs Saints 17-16 before missed FG, 2010 playoff game vs Jets 16-14, 2011 playoff game vs Ravens 35-28). He wins 3 or 4 of them, his record is 13-7 or 12-8 as opposed to 9-11, and differently perceived, IMO. Then, Eli's Giants shut down the mighty Brady and the Pats after the Pats go up 17-9 in SB 46. Then, Eli's Giants get a turnover to tie the game in the NFCCG vs 49ers at 17-17, and get another turnover vs 49ers to go ahead and win in 1st OT while the Broncos' D does squat in 2 overtimes to generate turnovers or sacks vs the Ravens. Eli has been blessed with better team help, good for him.

Elway was 7-7 before his 2 SB runs, just saying.

Well, that's no excuse. :lol:

Sorry if my reply sounded obnoxious, but there are a lot of fans on here who seem to have conveniently forgotten what Peyton did for the team, and it gets pretty offensive at times. Being 16 and in NJ is a whole different world.

I've been a NJ resident all my life and a Colts fan as long as I can remember, so I can relate. For most of that time I could only watch the Colts twice a year against the Jets, in playoff games, and on rare national tv appearances. I was finally able to get Directv before the start of Peyton's 4th season, and have done everything possible not to miss a minute of his career since. The man is simply astounding. The entire 2010 season for example was just one miracle after another as he dragged an aging/injury riddled team to the playoffs on his back. They had no business being there and were seriously outclassed by the same Jets team that they carved up the year before - but Peyton somehow led them to the lead with under a minute to play. He didn't give up the ensuing 47 yard kickoff return or make any of the other silly mistakes that led to a Jets win, he was terrific. Yet this game is remembered by those who enjoy denigrating him "another one and done" Peyton failure. Here is a great link that someone supplied in a recent conversation about this topic: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/peyton-mannings-9-11-playoff-record-is-call-for-help/20868/

Eli has icewater in his veins and is famous for lots of amazing comebacks of his own, but too often in his career he has just quietly faded and been part of the teams problems instead of the guy who puts the team on his back - and this is on teams often built on defense and running the ball. Peyton is on an entirely different level.

I hate to say anything that sounds like I'm discrediting Eli Manning, especially as a Pats fan, but c'mon. If "clutch" means throwing a ball that SHOULD have been intercepted by Asante Samuel followed by basically a mid-field Hail Mary that a guy somehow catches on his helmet then yes, he was "clutch" back in '07. 

The Giants - as a team - have caught fire twice to win titles. Their defenses have done most of the heavy lifting though. Eli put up 21 points against a simply terrible pass defense in '11 and only 17 against the '07 team, which was still good but really over the hill when you want to get right down to it.

Given a choice of the brothers, I'd take Peyton seven days a week, and twice on Sundays. 

I hate to say anything that sounds like I'm discrediting Eli Manning, especially as a Pats fan, but c'mon. If "clutch" means throwing a ball that SHOULD have been intercepted by Asante Samuel followed by basically a mid-field Hail Mary that a guy somehow catches on his helmet then yes, he was "clutch" back in '07. 

The Giants - as a team - have caught fire twice to win titles. Their defenses have done most of the heavy lifting though. Eli put up 21 points against a simply terrible pass defense in '11 and only 17 against the '07 team, which was still good but really over the hill when you want to get right down to it.

Given a choice of the brothers, I'd take Peyton seven days a week, and twice on Sundays. 

The more data points you use when you look back on previous reams that won the Super Bowl, how many are the teams that got hot at the right moment?

Look at teams like the Patriots and the Giants who always go for the jugular versus teams that have rested and backed into the playoffs like the Colts and you begin to appreciate the value of momentum.  Especially for Eli and the Giants.

Well Eli has been more 'clutch' in the super bowls he has played in. Peyton had a better record in regular season. Now it's all up to the individual person and their opinion as who is more 'clutch'. The one single play where Eli was totally 'clutch' was in the super bowl against the Patriots when Eli broke free from a game ending sack and threw the helmet catch to beat an undefeated Patriots team. So either way you look at it both can be said to have been clutch at times. As it stands right now Luck has been the most clutch in the last 17 regular season games. 

The more data points you use when you look back on previous reams that won the Super Bowl, how many are the teams that got hot at the right moment?

Look at teams like the Patriots and the Giants who always go for the jugular versus teams that have rested and backed into the playoffs like the Colts and you begin to appreciate the value of momentum.  Especially for Eli and the Giants.

Absolutely, it happens. That was the story of the '01 Patriots.  

Either a team kind of dominates and looks the part for most of the season (most recent example being the Packers from two years ago, who looked like champs wire-to-wire), or they get hot at the right time (like last year's Ravens). 

Were both Eli and Peyton 27 of 42 last week.?

Has that ever happened that 2 QBs who were to meet one week had the exact same attempts and completions the week before?

Both brothers combined for 100 pts in 6 TD passing leagues, I don't remember a week when that has happened either. :)