Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Practice Squad Signings/Roster Moves

cjwhiskers

You are not picking on "just me", but you are picking on me unless I'm reading you wrong.  But that's okay!   The practice squad is certainly for developmental players.  Adongo has potential, but he is really a project.  More of a project than Ziggy Ansah because at least Ansah played college football for more than one season.  I don't see Adongo contributing at all this year, and if we get to a certain point with the injuries this year it's almost a given that they will cut him.  I just think their may be more NFL ready prospects that maybe could have been chosen.  If he develops faster than I thought then I will eat the crow I deserve I suppose.

It was just that several other people have said pretty much the same thing you said.  And again, no ill will was intended.  At any rate, you can pretty much guarantee that he won't play at all this year.  He was brought on with the intent that he wouldn't play this year.  And there may be other NFL ready players available, but you can assume that they probably don't have the upside Adongo has.  Grigs and company do their homework and I have no problem with a GM taking one guy that is a 2 or 3 year project that would otherwise have been a top 10 pick if he had done the typical play in high school, then college.  Granted, we don't know if Adongo will be any good in 2 or 3 years, but what if he was top 5 at his position in 2 or 3 years?  If it doesn't work, we pretty much lose a roster guy that wouldn't have otherwise ever saw substantial time on the field in a Colts uniform  

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not too sure about that.  I have no basis in fact, but I suspect Grigs promised him a job on the PS for the season when he brought him over.  I think he's also giving a year to McNary and those two are safe for the year.  Again, just a guess.

With 8 PS spots, I love the idea of using one of them to develop a guy with raw talent.  It's a no lose gamble.

Not only that but if what was posted in an earlier forum Adongo falls under a clause that allows the Colts to keep in on the PS and not count on the 8 player maximum. Something about him not being an American citizen. 

Ijalana grabbed by Jets.. oof rotoworld

Ben Ijalana - G - Jets

Jets claimed OL Ben Ijalana off waivers from the Colts.

The 49th pick in the 2011 draft, Ijalana spent much of his first two NFL seasons on injured reserve. Pro Football Focus did grade Ijalana as a top-15 tackle during the 2013 preseason, excelling as both a run and pass blocker and playing left tackle. Ijalana can also play guard. He's worth a shot.

He actually has a shot to crack their starting lineup. Their line is horrible right now

Not only that but if what was posted in an earlier forum Adongo falls under a clause that allows the Colts to keep in on the PS and not count on the 8 player maximum. Something about him not being an American citizen. 

Yeah, I was confused about that.  I know there was a rule in effect when NFL Europe existed.  I'm not sure if that's still the case.

It takes a freakish level of athleticism to dominate in the NFL. Adongo, Ansah and others are physical specimens that if they catch on, they will produce at top 10 pick levels. They may bust but isn't that worth a shot considering they have much more potential than UFAs that we toss away every year.

If being a pick of a previous regime even factors into a GM's decision to cut said previous regime player than he shouldn't be an NFL GM, imo.

Yeah, I agree with you there.  Plus, Ijalana was cut, but Linkerbeast, who is a Polian pickup, was kept.  Nevis was cut, but Matthews was kept.

It takes a freakish level of athleticism to dominate in the NFL. Adongo, Ansah and others are physical specimens that if they catch on, they will produce at top 10 pick levels. They may bust but isn't that worth a shot considering they have much more potential than UFAs that we toss away every year.

The advantage Ansah had over Adongo is he exposure to football.

Because he has great potential. That is what PS is for. To teach and coach up players who teams think are able to contribute at a later time. 

Explain how he has great potential? Williams at least showed he can play att some level of the game, and didn't look bad in preseason. Where as just because Adongo is "big and fast" doesn't mean he has any chance of translating to the game at a level worth keepin... 

It was just that several other people have said pretty much the same thing you said.  And again, no ill will was intended.  At any rate, you can pretty much guarantee that he won't play at all this year.  He was brought on with the intent that he wouldn't play this year.  And there may be other NFL ready players available, but you can assume that they probably don't have the upside Adongo has.  Grigs and company do their homework and I have no problem with a GM taking one guy that is a 2 or 3 year project that would otherwise have been a top 10 pick if he had done the typical play in high school, then college.  Granted, we don't know if Adongo will be any good in 2 or 3 years, but what if he was top 5 at his position in 2 or 3 years?  If it doesn't work, we pretty much lose a roster guy that wouldn't have otherwise ever saw substantial time on the field in a Colts uniform  

Adongo is only 23 years old so the Colts can afford to gamble. His salary is low on the PS and if he makes the active roster he will be at league minimum. Pagano said his work ethnic and attitude is great so we will wait and see. All the negative seems unfounded in my opinion. 

Explain how he has great potential? Williams at least showed he can play att some level of the game, and didn't look bad in preseason. Where as just because Adongo is "big and fast" doesn't mean he has any chance of translating to the game at a level worth keepin... 

Evidently, Pagano and Grigson see the potential, and since they see these guys day in day out, on the practice field, in the film room, etc.....I will put trust in the fact they know what they are talking about.  Call me crazy for leaving it up to those who's job is on the line to get these decisions right.

He use to be a beast years ago.

I'm sure there was a reason for his release though.

Didn't you say Matt Overton was a "beast" in another recent thread? Methinks the term is getting thrown around too much of late. I mean if someone is calling a long-snapper a beast, then that is the very definition of overuse.

The thing that has surprised me most about this thread is that Ijalana was one of PFF's top 15 Tackles of the 2013 preseason. Williams has a better shot of clearing waivers than Ijalana or Nevis had, just because of the positions they play, but there aren't any guarantees....

I like Jones as a 3rd TE/2nd FB, and he had a good preseason... They must really like the guy who they just signed from Tennessee if he is on the 53 and Jones isn't, even if its just for the moment

For roughly 3 years, we have heard almost zilch about him, except  he stayed injured.  We heard rumors that  Peyton didn't think he could play and during this camp he was routinely on the 3rd string.  There should be no surprise at him being waived.  Nevis is a different story.

So you take it for granted you know more about potential than Griggs and Pagano who have been in the NFL for a long time? When Pagano said he is a great young man with great potential I believe him. I think I trust their judgement over those who just think they know better. I am not an expert and don't claim to know better than those who make a living at running an NFL team. Griggs didn't get his position and GM of the year without knowing what he is doing. Is that a satisfactory explanation for you?

For roughly 3 years, we have heard almost zilch about him, except  he stayed injured.  We heard rumors that  Peyton didn't think he could play and during this camp he was routinely on the 3rd string.  There should be no surprise at him being waived.  Nevis is a different story.

They were both on IR the last two seasons.  They both played well when put in games.  They both were having very good preseasons.

Sounds like the same story to me.

So you take it for granted you know more about potential than Griggs and Pagano who have been in the NFL for a long time? When Pagano said he is a great young man with great potential I believe him. I think I trust their judgement over those who just think they know better. I am not an expert and don't claim to know better than those who make a living at running an NFL team. Griggs didn't get his position and GM of the year without knowing what he is doing. Is that a satisfactory explanation for you?

So you take it for granted you know more about potential than Griggs and Pagano who have been in the NFL for a long time? When Pagano said he is a great young man with great potential I believe him. I think I trust their judgement over those who just think they know better. I am not an expert and don't claim to know better than those who make a living at running an NFL team. Griggs didn't get his position and GM of the year without knowing what he is doing. Is that a satisfactory explanation for you?Griggs got GM of the year because Andrew Luck pulled 6 or 7 combacks out of his rear end.

Griggs got GM of the year because Andrew Luck pulled 6 or 7 games out of his rear end.

Griggs got GM of the year because Andrew Luck pulled 6 or 7 games out of his rear end.

So you really think that Luck did it all by himself??  I don't mean to insult you but maybe you should take a closer look at what the term team means. Yes Luck is a great QB but that makes no difference if the team around him don't play as a team. Griggs got GM of the year by taking a rag tag team that went 2-14 to a record of 11-5. That's with 37 new players on the roster. I am sorry you cant see that and then make a comment that has no merit. 

Oh really? Let's take a look at what else Grigson accomplished last year.

1. Drafted a rookie wide receiver in the 3rd round who went on to lead the entire team in touchdown receptions.
  2. Drafted a rookie runningback in the 5th round who lead the team in rushing, rushing touchdowns, etc.
  3. Signed an unknown defender from Canada to lead the Colts in tackles.
  4. Traded a draft pick for our new best cornerback, fitting perfectly into the defense.
  5. Proved to have made good choices in coaches, one who is intelligent and served as an inspiration to the team when needed most, and another who stepped up in an incredibly huge way to turn the entire team around and bring them into the playoffs, then win Coach of the Year.
  6. Revamped an entire roster, while recording the single biggest year-to-year turnaround in all of football.
  7. A terrific choice for the leader of any team, who works tirelessly day and night, 24/7 all for the best of the team.

Don't mean to insert myself into this, but my response to the bolded: Not really, no. In fact, I don't agree with the whole line of reasoning.

First off, I'm a huge Grigson and Pagano fan. I love this leadership team, and for the most part, I think they've done a fantastic job in their year and a half as the leaders of this team. I think they have the makings of greatness about them, and I'm very pleased with Irsay's choice(s). (I wanted us to hire Marc Ross as GM, and while I liked Pagano, I kind of favored a coordinator with a little more experience calling plays. Irsay got it right.)

For the most part, us people here on the Internet, us "living room GMs," as we were not-so-affectionately called yesterday, don't know anything. I read and study and watch games and try to understand some of the finer points, but just when I think I have a grasp of something, I hear or see something new that I didn't know anything about. I think I have a reasonable handle on the basics of NFL contracts and the salary cap, but I'm constantly looking new things up and learning new things, and I often post things about contracts that are incorrect, and I have to come back and fix it after I learn something else new. So, no matter how knowledgeable we think we are, we don't know more than even bad coaches and GMs. That's absolutely true.

But sometimes, coaches and GMs with years of NFL experience just make plain stupid decisions. Sometimes, they are downright terrible at their jobs, which is part of the reason there's so much turnover in the NFL. Even guys who were once celebrated and awarded with honors from the league wind up getting dismissed unceremoniously from time to time. How many GM of the Year awards did Bill Polian win? So the idea that because they are experienced NFL guys means that their decisions can't be second guessed and they're above reproach is just beyond me. I disagree with that stance entirely.

For anyone who was around here in 2011, there were some plain dumb decisions being made, and they led to a really bad season. There was tons of second guessing and even name calling and so on during that season. Not all of it was right, but the front office and coaching staff weren't doing a good job, and it was obvious. The tone on this board (and others, by the way) was way different than it is now, where most people have tons of respect for Grigson and Pagano. There was outright contempt for the Polians and Jim Caldwell. Even last offseason, before these guys had really earned the benefit of the doubt, there was some angst and even some nastiness (and not just because of the Manning decision, by the way).

Nowadays, when there's an unpopular decision, dissent is usually tempered with a recognition of just how good a job Grigson and Pagano are doing. I know I make it a point to say how much I like the way the team is being run, because I don't want people to think that I think I know better than these guys. I obviously do not. But I do reserve the right to disagree with them from time to time, even though I give them the benefit of the doubt. I don't like that we cut Drake Nevis, and I don't agree with the popular refrain that he doesn't fit our defense, but I trust that Grigson and Pagano know what they're doing and everything will be just fine. When I'm wrong, I come back and own up to it. I thought we made a mistake in trading away Kevin Thomas last preseason; I admitted that I was wrong.

Because of that, I kind of resent it when I say "I don't think we should have done X, Y or Z," and someone comes back with "Grigson won GM of the Year for a reason, or do you know think you know better than him?" That's entirely not the point. This is a message board. If expression of opinion that isn't in step with Grigson and Pagano is always going to be derided with comments like that, this is going to either be a really dull place with only people who think the exact same way, or it's going to be a really contentious place where people spend more time arguing about stuff like this than actually discussing football.

Evidently, Pagano and Grigson see the potential, and since they see these guys day in day out, on the practice field, in the film room, etc.....I will put trust in the fact they know what they are talking about.  Call me crazy for leaving it up to those who's job is on the line to get these decisions right.

Call me crazy for letting Production speak for itself. The gm isn't always right, Zibikowski cough-cough. If you watched any of our preseason games you'll have seen that Williams played well as a 3rd/4th runningback against 2nd/3rd stringers. Where as Adongo didn't play so much as a snap. 

Call me crazy for letting Production speak for itself. The gm isn't always right, Zibikowski cough-cough. If you watched any of our preseason games you'll have seen that Williams played well as a 3rd/4th runningback against 2nd/3rd stringers. Where as Adongo didn't play so much as a snap. 

I think our keeping Williams for an extra day says something about how much he's valued by the team. I figure he winds up on the practice squad, so long as he clears waivers.

You can honestly sit here with a straight face and tell me you didn't question the Nevis release? I mean we have like 2 other no namers/no productioners still on the dline and we release our best pass rushing d lineman?

You can honestly sit here with a straight face and tell me you didn't question the Nevis release? I mean we have like 2 other no namers/no productioners still on the dline and we release our best pass rushing d lineman?

No I did not question a release of a player who hasn't proved to anyone he can stay healthy. 

Don't mean to insert myself into this, but my response to the bolded: Not really, no. In fact, I don't agree with the whole line of reasoning.

First off, I'm a huge Grigson and Pagano fan. I love this leadership team, and for the most part, I think they've done a fantastic job in their year and a half as the leaders of this team. I think they have the makings of greatness about them, and I'm very pleased with Irsay's choice(s). (I wanted us to hire Marc Ross as GM, and while I liked Pagano, I kind of favored a coordinator with a little more experience calling plays. Irsay got it right.)

For the most part, us people here on the Internet, us "living room GMs," as we were not-so-affectionately called yesterday, don't know anything. I read and study and watch games and try to understand some of the finer points, but just when I think I have a grasp of something, I hear or see something new that I didn't know anything about. I think I have a reasonable handle on the basics of NFL contracts and the salary cap, but I'm constantly looking new things up and learning new things, and I often post things about contracts that are incorrect, and I have to come back and fix it after I learn something else new. So, no matter how knowledgeable we think we are, we don't know more than even bad coaches and GMs. That's absolutely true.

But sometimes, coaches and GMs with years of NFL experience just make plain stupid decisions. Sometimes, they are downright terrible at their jobs, which is part of the reason there's so much turnover in the NFL. Even guys who were once celebrated and awarded with honors from the league wind up getting dismissed unceremoniously from time to time. How many GM of the Year awards did Bill Polian win? So the idea that because they are experienced NFL guys means that their decisions can't be second guessed and they're above reproach is just beyond me. I disagree with that stance entirely.

For anyone who was around here in 2011, there were some plain dumb decisions being made, and they led to a really bad season. There was tons of second guessing and even name calling and so on during that season. Not all of it was right, but the front office and coaching staff weren't doing a good job, and it was obvious. The tone on this board (and others, by the way) was way different than it is now, where most people have tons of respect for Grigson and Pagano. There was outright contempt for the Polians and Jim Caldwell. Even last offseason, before these guys had really earned the benefit of the doubt, there was some angst and even some nastiness (and not just because of the Manning decision, by the way).

Nowadays, when there's an unpopular decision, dissent is usually tempered with a recognition of just how good a job Grigson and Pagano are doing. I know I make it a point to say how much I like the way the team is being run, because I don't want people to think that I think I know better than these guys. I obviously do not. But I do reserve the right to disagree with them from time to time, even though I give them the benefit of the doubt. I don't like that we cut Drake Nevis, and I don't agree with the popular refrain that he doesn't fit our defense, but I trust that Grigson and Pagano know what they're doing and everything will be just fine. When I'm wrong, I come back and own up to it. I thought we made a mistake in trading away Kevin Thomas last preseason; I admitted that I was wrong.

Because of that, I kind of resent it when I say "I don't think we should have done X, Y or Z," and someone comes back with "Grigson won GM of the Year for a reason, or do you know think you know better than him?" That's entirely not the point. This is a message board. If expression of opinion that isn't in step with Grigson and Pagano is always going to be derided with comments like that, this is going to either be a really dull place with only people who think the exact same way, or it's going to be a really contentious place where people spend more time arguing about stuff like this than actually discussing football.

Well stated

I don't need for you to write a book explaining anything to me. I have my own opinion and points of views. I can honestly say I don't care if you are resentful for my comments. You do not rule me or anyone else in here. This is a forum and we are all entitled to speak what we feel. If you don't care for my comments you have the freedom to ignore me. And you did insert yourself when my comment was not directed at you. I am sure that the person I was commenting to don't need you to stand up for them. Every time a subject comes up you dont agree with you write this long overblown mini novel that is boring.

I don't need for you to write a book explaining anything to me. I have my own opinion and points of views. I can honestly say I don't care if you are resentful for my comments. You do not rule me or anyone else in here. This is a forum and we are all entitled to speak what we feel. If you don't care for my comments you have the freedom to ignore me.And you did insert yourself when my comment was not directed at you. I am sure that the person I was commenting to don't need you to stand up for them. Every time a subject comes up you dont agree with you write this long overblown mini novel that is boring.

Which was, ironically, his very point

I think our keeping Williams for an extra day says something about how much he's valued by the team. I figure he winds up on the practice squad, so long as he clears waivers.

Yeah, I think that was calculated.  But I don't think anyone would have taken him off waivers anyway, and we could have put him on the PS.

Williams may be offered another team's PS spot with a better chance to make the team.  However, with two of our RBs injury history, he has to think this is his best shot.