Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Practice Squad Signings/Roster Moves

cjwhiskers

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Indianapolis Colts today claimed tight end Jack Doyle off waivers (Tennessee), waived running back Kerwynn Williams and signed six players to its practice squad, including, OLB-Daniel Adongo, C-Thomas Austin, QB-Chandler Harnish, TE-Dominique Jones, LB-Josh McNary and CB-Sheldon Price."

I could definitely see the Colts signing Williams to their PS, it would make a lot of sense.

These guys they signed to the squad make sense and have nice potential. That's a good group. 

"The Indianapolis Colts today claimed tight end Jack Doyle off waivers (Tennessee), waived running back Kerwynn Williams and signed six players to its practice squad, including, OLB-Daniel Adongo, C-Thomas Austin, QB-Chandler Harnish, TE-Dominique Jones, LB-Josh McNary and CB-Sheldon Price."

I could definitely see the Colts signing Williams to their PS, it would make a lot of sense.

These guys they signed to the squad make sense and have nice potential. That's a good group. 

I agree, as soon as Williams clears waivers they'll probably sign him to the PS.

I was really hoping they'd sign Ijalana too.

"As soon as"?

Are you confident that he will? 

This and Nevis really surprised me.

I'm not sure there's a huge need for a 3rd down RB who has to learn how to block.  If you look at his preseason carries, he wasn't very effective playing against 1s.

As for Nevis, I think his injury history as well as really being a 4-3 player worked against him.  Very tough call, and we may regret it if we can't get pressure on the QB.

They must really like this Josh McNary guy.,

I thought Marshay Green should of got another chance.

I just checked his twitter page.  No word about anyone picking him up yet.

BTW, it appears the Titans really wanted to put Doyle on their PS.  

He looked good, 6 receptions for 56 yards and a TD, He played some FB to although not a real good blocker, just dont have alot of strength

He looked good, 6 receptions for 56 yards and a TD, He played some FB to although not a real good blocker, just dont have alot of strength

Yeah, the Titans said he was their 4th best TE and they only kept 3.  He'll probably never be active unless we have an injury or he's a STs ace.

I don't think Ijalana is eligible for the Practice Squad.

I believe Kevin Bowen said that's only available for guys in their first two years of service.  

And this would be Ijalana's 3rd year.   So, I don't think the PS is an option.

Sorry,  wish it was......

As for Williams -- certainly didn't see that coming.    Very hopeful that tomorrow he's also signed tot he PS.    That would be much, much better for all parties...

Also noticed that Cleary wasn't re-signed to the practice squad....    did another team pick him up?? 

Sure hope not.....   would love to see him on the PS as well....

I believe Kevin Bowen said that's only available for guys in their first two years of service.  

As for Williams -- certainly didn't see that coming.    Very hopeful that tomorrow he's also signed tot he PS.    That would be much, much better for all parties...

Also noticed that Cleary wasn't re-signed to the practice squad....    did another team pick him up?? 

It's three years, as long as they haven't been active for fewer than 9 games in the previous two seasons.

I think Ijalana fits that description.

Clearly was injury waived

And this would be Ijalana's 3rd year. So, I don't think the PS is an option.

Sorry, wish it was......

As for Williams -- certainly didn't see that coming. Very hopeful that tomorrow he's also signed tot he PS. That would be much, much better for all parties...

Also noticed that Cleary wasn't re-signed to the practice squad.... did another team pick him up??

Sure hope not..... would love to see him on the PS as well....

he is eligible

I don't know what the fascination is with trying to develop Adongo?

I don't get why this is such hard thing to understand and I'm not picking on just you.  There are several on these forums who say the same thing as you, so I say this with all due respect.

Players classified as "projects" are drafted on a regular basis and no one says anything.  Sign a project from rugby, and all the sudden all reason goes out the window and people don't want to understand why and criticize the decision.  If anything, it will become clear by next year whether it was a good move or bad move.  But if you want reasoning straight from the GM, read this article.  http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Ryan-Grigson-and-Colts-personnel-department-now-turning-over-%E2%80%9CInternational%E2%80%9D-stones/e8994e86-d056-4b11-889f-04b1d91c654e

I'll be surprised Ijalana makes the PS... 2 reasons.

1. 2 years  in the league -- 2 years IR

2. Polian Pick... they are weeding out previous regime's picks... I know we still have a few still on the roster, but the numbers are dwindling 

If being a pick of a previous regime even factors into a GM's decision to cut said previous regime player than he shouldn't be an NFL GM, imo.

I don't get why this is such hard thing to understand and I'm not picking on just you.  There are several on these forums who say the same thing as you, so I say this with all due respect.

Players classified as "projects" are drafted on a regular basis and no one says anything.  Sign a project from rugby, and all the sudden all reason goes out the window and people don't want to understand why and criticize the decision.  If anything, it will become clear by next year whether it was a good move or bad move.  But if you want reasoning straight from the GM, read this article.  http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Ryan-Grigson-and-Colts-personnel-department-now-turning-over-%E2%80%9CInternational%E2%80%9D-stones/e8994e86-d056-4b11-889f-04b1d91c654e

You are not picking on "just me", but you are picking on me unless I'm reading you wrong.  But that's okay!   The practice squad is certainly for developmental players.  Adongo has potential, but he is really a project.  More of a project than Ziggy Ansah because at least Ansah played college football for more than one season.  I don't see Adongo contributing at all this year, and if we get to a certain point with the injuries this year it's almost a given that they will cut him.  I just think their may be more NFL ready prospects that maybe could have been chosen.  If he develops faster than I thought then I will eat the crow I deserve I suppose.

I thought about the possible 4 TE scenario. But why cut Jones then sign another? Did Jones make the coaches mad or something?

My guess is, a lot of 2-3 TE sets will be run in the offense and they wanted to stash one on the practice squad that can be called up if injuries hit that position any further. Jones being that guy

Ijalana grabbed by Jets.. oof rotoworld

Jets claimed OL Ben Ijalana off waivers from the Colts.

The 49th pick in the 2011 draft, Ijalana spent much of his first two NFL seasons on injured reserve. Pro Football Focus did grade Ijalana as a top-15 tackle during the 2013 preseason, excelling as both a run and pass blocker and playing left tackle. Ijalana can also play guard. He's worth a shot.

You are not picking on "just me", but you are picking on me unless I'm reading you wrong.  But that's okay!   The practice squad is certainly for developmental players.  Adongo has potential, but he is really a project.  More of a project than Ziggy Ansah because at least Ansah played college football for more than one season.  I don't see Adongo contributing at all this year, and if we get to a certain point with the injuries this year it's almost a given that they will cut him.  I just think their may be more NFL ready prospects that maybe could have been chosen.  If he develops faster than I thought then I will eat the crow I deserve I suppose.

I'm not too sure about that.  I have no basis in fact, but I suspect Grigs promised him a job on the PS for the season when he brought him over.  I think he's also giving a year to McNary and those two are safe for the year.  Again, just a guess.

With 8 PS spots, I love the idea of using one of them to develop a guy with raw talent.  It's a no lose gamble.