Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Practice Squad Signings/Roster Moves

cjwhiskers

I'm not sure there's a huge need for a 3rd down RB who has to learn how to block.  If you look at his preseason carries, he wasn't very effective playing against 1s.

As for Nevis, I think his injury history as well as really being a 4-3 player worked against him.  Very tough call, and we may regret it if we can't get pressure on the QB.

There's certainly not a huge need right now but Bradshaw probably won't be here very long and Brown really has something to prove this year. 

Ballard and Williams are two good, young backs who have shown that they have the potential to be real contributors to this team (Ballard more so, obviously) and I would have thought we'd like to hold on to that.

And with regards to Nevis, both of your points are valid but in spite of his injury history and questions regarding scheme fit, i still think he did more to deserve a place on the final 53 than Lawrence Guy and, arguably, Ricardo Matthews.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest question I have is why we kept Moala over Nevis. When both are healthy, Nevis is more of a playmaker IMO. And this is regardless of using the 3-4 vs the 4-3.

If they're both healthy, Fili fits the 3-4 better, but I agree, there's no doubt Nevis was impressive in the preseason. Tough decisions.

I'm more upset about losing Ijalana.

If you think some posters come across as trying to sound expert I would say the best way to "knock them down a peg" is to make note of their "expert opinions" and then bump/link to the post where their "analysis" is proven wrong. However, if it turns out they are right more often than they are wrong you might want to give a little more consideration to their opinions.

Personally I find the Grigson & company can do no wrong, "blind faith sheep" to be far more annoying than the opinions of "arm chair GMs".

So, in a thread filled to overflowing with people griping about moves Grigs has made, or with people defending those doing the griping, how is it remotely "blind faith sheep" ish to take the opposing viewpoint? In fact, I would wonder if it is more a blind sheep move to join all the griping.

I suspect that a great deal of the impetus behind some people complaining about the release of guys like Nevis, Ijalana, and K. Williams stems from earlier efforts to assert that they would definitely survive the cuts. Instead of acknowledging that they were wrong, these "experts" now prefer to assert that the decisions were stupid.

So to a certain extent, I'm doing exactly what you called for me to do in your post, but precious few would ever admit the error in their thinking.

Wow we better put williams on the PS, seriously why keep Adongo?

I sort of wondered if we didn't play him in preseason to avoid showcasing his athleticism to other teams.  He must have loads of raw talent to not play him and still keep him on the PS.

So, in a thread filled to overflowing with people griping about moves Grigs has made, or with people defending those doing the griping, how is it remotely "blind faith sheep" ish to take the opposing viewpoint? In fact, I would wonder if it is more a blind sheep move to join all the griping.

I suspect that a great deal of the impetus behind some people complaining about the release of guys like Nevis, Ijalana, and K. Williams stems from earlier efforts to assert that they would definitely survive the cuts. Instead of acknowledging that they were wrong, these "experts" now prefer to assert that the decisions were stupid.

So to a certain extent, I'm doing exactly what you called for me to do in your post, but precious few would ever admit the error in their thinking.

My thoughts precisely.

It's a shame we lost Nevis.  It seems like he was a victim of too much depth on the defensive line.  Could you imagine saying that two seasons ago?

DA also did not play do to safety concerns

Ya, I know.  I'm just excited for game 1, decided to take the most optimistic of possible assessments.

I agree, it's far more likely the coaches didn't want him to get killed because he just doesn't know what he's doing yet.

Still interesting that they think enough of him to keep him on the PS, at least for now.

Ya, I know.  I'm just excited for game 1, decided to take the most optimistic of possible assessments.

I agree, it's far more likely the coaches didn't want him to get killed because he just doesn't know what he's doing yet.

Still interesting that they think enough of him to keep him on the PS, at least for now.

I am going to say he will be a star in a year

why in the heck did they cut chandler harnish from the team? why didnt we cut matt hasselback, he has no reason to put on colts jersey. it is not right. chandler was with his dream team. can someone please help me understand this??

I'm going to assume the mocking tone

I see it as production vs non-production, i never claim to be an expert but the bottom line to me is that Nevis was our most active D lineman/best at rushing the passer, probably even showed the most upside on our dline in the preseason heck. With williams its the same he played well against 2nd/3rd stringers when he was given help by the o-line and not swarmed in the backfield. Also he was fine on special teams after the 1st game. 

Edit: For Ijalana i could care less, he hasn't proved anything and was ok against 2nd and 3rd stringers as an o-lineman thats not saying much. 

What I found even more amazing is how a moderator can write a comment as long as War and Peace over a comment I made about my faith in Griggs and Pagano. I was ask by another poster for an explanation on a subject and answered the comment in why I thought the way I did. I even ask if that was a good enough explanation. So far I received no respond from that other member but I did get a book written by you. I even stated I was not an expert in my comment but you found a reason to pretty much attack me. That is not the first time you have done that either. If you have a personal problem with me just put me on ignore. Then you talk this to other members like you have a problem. If you have a problem with me talk to me not on a grape vine like this was Facebook or something. As a moderator it is not your job to gossip like a female teenager. 

You're sensationalizing, and taking this so personally, and I really don't understand why.

I don't have a personal problem with you, and I didn't attack you. Nor have I gossiped. (By the way, anything that's said on a message board is visible for everyone to read, so how could I be talking about you behind your back?) Yeah, my post was long, but so what? Did that really ruffle your feathers that much?

This is all kind of ridiculous. My post was saying that I feel as strongly about Grigson and Pagano as you do, and comments I make saying that I disagree with a particular decision (especially something as meaningless as who our 7th or 8th defensive lineman is) are not an evidence that I don't trust them or that I think I can do their job better than them. You and I agree on Grigson and Pagano, we just express ourselves differently. That was the point.

You've decided to take this personally, and then make it personal, and that was not my intent. Nor did I expect you to be so bent out of shape about it.

Just speaking for myself, I never said anyone would definitely survive anything. Especially Ijalana. I thought Nevis was worthy of a spot, and I thought Williams would stick over Jones, but I'm not the type to guarantee anything. 

I guess if I ever disagree with a move the team makes, I should just keep my mouth shut, because to do otherwise is to prop myself up as an expert. No one can articulate an opinion without being considered a heretic.

Nevis is the steal of the entire draft.  Chargers picked up a free starter.  And HE WILL be a starter, mark my words on that one.  He is a beast and has a REALLY good set of coaches in San Diego, especially the D-Coordinator !!!  WOW, that kid is going to flourish under them !!!  OK, so now I want to know when we play the Chargers and is it a home game?  Nevis will brutalize us I guarantee.  He may just be the difference in the game (which I will say will be VERY close all the way through).  IF WE EVEN PLAY THEM, which I think we might since we play the RAIDERS.

Ok, so write it down, Nevis is the game changer in the upcoming game with them.  I hate to see Grigson get embarrassed by that which he won't because he is not that type of guy.. But if Polian would have made that move I would have just laughed at him up in the booth as Nevis has his way with us.  He will be sooooo Motivated to splatter us. Can you tell I'm still crying over this.

:hissy:

Nevis is the steal of the entire draft.  Chargers picked up a free starter.  And HE WILL be a starter, mark my words on that one.  He is a beast and has a REALLY good set of coaches in San Diego, especially the D-Coordinator !!!  WOW, that kid is going to flourish under them !!!  OK, so now I want to know when we play the Chargers and is it a home game?  Nevis will brutalize us I guarantee.  He may just be the difference in the game (which I will say will be VERY close all the way through).  IF WE EVEN PLAY THEM, which I think we might since we play the RAIDERS.

Ok, so write it down, Nevis is the game changer in the upcoming game with them.  I hate to see Grigson get embarrassed by that which he won't because he is not that type of guy.. But if Polian would have made that move I would have just laughed at him up in the booth as Nevis has his way with us.  He will be sooooo Motivated to splatter us. Can you tell I'm still crying over this.

:hissy:

lmao

I'm much more worried about Freeney.

You're sensationalizing, and taking this so personally, and I really don't understand why.

I don't have a personal problem with you, and I didn't attack you. Nor have I gossiped. (By the way, anything that's said on a message board is visible for everyone to read, so how could I be talking about you behind your back?) Yeah, my post was long, but so what? Did that really ruffle your feathers that much?

This is all kind of ridiculous. My post was saying that I feel as strongly about Grigson and Pagano as you do, and comments I make saying that I disagree with a particular decision (especially something as meaningless as who our 7th or 8th defensive lineman is) are not an evidence that I don't trust them or that I think I can do their job better than them. You and I agree on Grigson and Pagano, we just express ourselves differently. That was the point.

You've decided to take this personally, and then make it personal, and that was not my intent. Nor did I expect you to be so bent out of shape about it.

Can you two use private messaging for this?  I just want to read about roster moves/signings.

Just speaking for myself, I never said anyone would definitely survive anything. Especially Ijalana. I thought Nevis was worthy of a spot, and I thought Williams would stick over Jones, but I'm not the type to guarantee anything.

I guess if I ever disagree with a move the team makes, I should just keep my mouth shut, because to do otherwise is to prop myself up as an expert. No one can articulate an opinion without being considered a heretic.

I know there have been times you and I haven't agreed, but I can't recall a single time you've failed to express yourself in a fair-minded and eloquent manner. My frustrations are absolutely not directed towards you, or towards any others who share reasonable opinions, even where they vary from mine.

I'm talking about the "I'll be furious if..." or "that move was just dumb" posts... As if any of us really knows the what/why's of the decisions the FO makes, or as if we are somehow entitled to be enraged by the FO making moves it believes to be best for the team.

I know there have been times you and I haven't agreed, but I can't recall a single time you've failed to express yourself in a fair-minded and eloquent manner. My frustrations are absolutely not directed towards you, or towards any others who share reasonable opinions, even where they vary from mine.

I'm talking about the "I'll be furious if..." or "that move was just dumb" posts... As if any of us really knows the what/why's of the decisions the FO makes, or as if we are somehow entitled to be enraged by the FO making moves it believes to be best for the team.

Fair enough. I guess I've just started to gloss over those kind of posts. What I've noticed is a group of posters who disagree with certain decisions, and have pointed out why in a fair manner. Even one poster who did guarantee that a particular player would make the roster, and then came back and admitted that he was wrong. And that kind of turns into "you know more than the GM of the Year, right?" I must be blocking out all the "I'll be furious" comments, though I'm sure there have been some of them.

I guess it just hits a chord with me because I really like our front office and coaching staff. But that doesn't mean that I can't have a divergent viewpoint from time to time, nor does it mean that I think I'd do a better job than they would. I'm just a guy on the Internet, as I say all the time. I don't know anything more than anyone else does.

I'm done now. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.