Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL QB Rankings from Clayton

amfootball

I do not make much of these, but they sure are fun to read.  I read every single QB analysis by 'super' John.   :)

I felt the Luck, Wilson, Kaepernick.....then RGIII was an interesting play.  I personally think Kaep is better than Wilson and RGIII is as well.  He may have dropped due to the injury...?

One other thing I did not like is Clayton's 'blatant/overuse' of the hated forum word elite.  He uses it freely to the number 20 QB.  Thoughts guys and gals???  

Thanks for sharing AM......I had not been to ESPN.com lately.  :thmup:

Absolutely terrible reason for Clayton to rank Peyton over Brady. If he feels bad about it, he should have just ranked Brady over Peyton, why make up a ridiculous reason for it? :dunno:

Flacco ranked below Big Ben is a joke as well. Both Matt Ryan and Romo deserve to be higher than Big Ben, if you are talking pure QB ability, IMO.

Absolutely terrible reason for Clayton to rank Peyton over Brady. If he feels bad about it, he should have just ranked Brady over Peyton, why make up a ridiculous reason for it? :dunno:

Flacco ranked below Big Ben is a joke as well. Both Matt Ryan and Romo deserve to be higher than Big Ben, if you are talking pure QB ability, IMO.

Yeah, his reasonings was silly. If we are just basing things off this preseason form, hard not to put Brady at #1.

I'm not trying to start any trouble, but I would take Luck over Schaub.  Furthermore, I would put Rodgers at 3rd because there are so many questions about his leadership.  I think Brady and Manning should be top 2, then a substantial gap between them and Rodgers.  Brady is throwing to some unknown guys and still making it look easy.  I've always found Rodgers to be a bit overrated

I'm not trying to start any trouble, but I would take Luck over Schaub.  Furthermore, I would put Rodgers at 3rd because there are so many questions about his leadership.  I think Brady and Manning should be top 2, then a substantial gap between them and Rodgers.  Brady is throwing to some unknown guys and still making it look easy.  I've always found Rodgers to be a bit overrated

I think you will find it near unanimous with experts that Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL. I would take Luck over Schaub for upside over the next three or four years but if you are talking about right here, right now, I would take Schaub.....

I think you will find it near unanimous with experts that Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL. I would take Luck over Schaub for upside over the next three or four years but if you are talking about right here, right now, I would take Schaub.....

Rodgers is arguably the best QB, but his leadership is severely lacking when you compare him to guys like Manning and Brady.  As for Schaub, I think if you give Luck what Schaub has (great OL, great RB, weapons like Andre Johnson, and a very good defense), he would accomplish more than Schaub.  Just my opinion though

Personally I think Luck is better than Schaub, but I think Schaub gets the nod here because of his experience and consistency. The reason I would take Luck over Schaub is because Luck can win you games. IMO, I don't think Schaub can win many games by himself.

Everything else makes sense.

THIS

Rodgers is arguably the best QB, but his leadership is severely lacking when you compare him to guys like Manning and Brady.  As for Schaub, I think if you give Luck what Schaub has (great OL, great RB, weapons like Andre Johnson, and a very good defense), he would accomplish more than Schaub.  Just my opinion though

I agree with you about Schaub but he has that OL, RB and WR and that puts him ahead of Luck right now. It will be a while before the Colts put that kind of talent around Luck.

If I was to develop my own "ranking system" it would have to be based on the question "Which starting QB would I trade Andrew Luck for today?"  In answer to my own question, I don't think I would trade him for any one of those on the list, even those ranked ahead of him today. Outside of Rodgers, Kaepernick and Wilson, the rest of the list is a bunch of guys whose coaches/GMs/Owners would give up a left gonad to trade for Luck.

We Indy fans should be pretty happy about the prospect of having Andrew Luck around for at least the next decade. I would expect him to be Number One on Clayton's list within the next two or three years.

If I was to develop my own "ranking system" it would have to be based on the question "Which starting QB would I trade Andrew Luck for today?"  In answer to my own question, I don't think I would trade him for any one of those on the list, even those ranked ahead of him today. Outside of Rodgers, Kaepernick and Wilson, the rest of the list is a bunch of guys whose coaches/GMs/Owners would give up a left gonad to trade for Luck.

We Indy fans should be pretty happy about the prospect of having Andrew Luck around for at least the next decade. I would expect him to be Number One on Clayton's list within the next two or three years.

I don't think the Skins would trade for him, Panthers, Bengals, Ravens, Pats, Detroit. There are a lot of teams that are just fine with their QB situation. I do think Luck climbs the QBs list in the next few years but first things first, have to see how much he progresses this year with the new OC.

That all depends on whether you are talking for this year or for the next five years. You might try to think about how many would trade their QB for Luck and that list is shorter than you think. Your method eliminates any QBs over 30 for the most part. There are many of those who are better than Luck right now but they won't be around in five years. Carolina for instance would NOT trade Cam Newton for Luck. Washington wouldn't trade RGIII for him and there are many more that are in win this year mentality who would not. These include Denver, Houston, Green Bay, NYG, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Atlanta, Detroit, San Francisco, Seattle, Dallas, St. Louis, New Orleans, Carolina and Washington. I guess this kind of analysis puts Luck in the bottom half of the NFL. Clayton had him at 13, I think, and that is about right.

Why would you be starting any trouble?  Everyone on earth, save a handful of delusional Texan fans who have trouble coping with reality, would take Luck over Schaub. 

That's a no-brainer.

That all depends on whether you are talking for this year or for the next five years. You might try to think about how many would trade their QB for Luck and that list is shorter than you think. Your method eliminates any QBs over 30 for the most part. There are many of those who are better than Luck right now but they won't be around in five years. Carolina for instance would NOT trade Cam Newton for Luck. Washington wouldn't trade RGIII for him and there are many more that are in win this year mentality who would not. These include Denver, Houston, Green Bay, NYG, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Atlanta, Detroit, San Francisco, Seattle, Dallas, St. Louis, New Orleans, Carolina and Washington. I guess this kind of analysis puts Luck in the bottom half of the NFL. Clayton had him at 13, I think, and that is about right.

Why on earth did you put Houston in that list?  lol

Houston's GM would give his right nut and crawl thru a minefield of crap to be able to trade Schaub for Luck today.

What did I say just above about delusional Texan fans having trouble coping with reality?  I think this thread has caught a live one.... lmao

Hard to argue with that list, though I would put Luck maybe around ten or so. The guy does very well for having zero pass protection.

My only gripe with the list is that there aren't actually twelve frickin' elite QB's in the NFL. It's not a very "elite" club when 37.5% of the starting QB's are in it.

Stafford and Rivers.... elite? As in some of the best to ever play? Is this some kind of joke?

There is Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and arguably Drew Brees. That's it.

Also I laughed at Mark Sanchez. He's at #31 and his arrow is pointing down. I didn't think he could get much worse.

Why on earth did you put Houston in that list?  lol

Houston's GM would give his right nut and crawl thru a minefield of crap to be able to trade Schaub for Luck today.

What did I say just above about delusional Texan fans having trouble coping with reality?  I think this thread has caught a live one.... lmao

You will note that Clayton has Schaub rated ahead of Luck? I was talking about right now. Not for the future. If you talk about this year and right now, Schaub is better than Luck with that team. Now three years from now, I wouldn't expect it to even be close, Luck would be the man. The whole key is are you talking about the future or right now.

Hard to argue with that list, though I would put Luck maybe around ten or so. The guy does very well for having zero pass protection.

My only gripe with the list is that there aren't actually twelve frickin' elite QB's in the NFL. It's not a very "elite" club when 37.5% of the starting QB's are in it.

Stafford and Rivers.... elite? As in some of the best to ever play? Is this some kind of joke?

There is Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and arguably Drew Brees. That's it.

Also I laughed at Mark Sanchez. He's at #31 and his arrow is pointing down. I didn't think he could get much worse.

You left out Eli. He has two Super Bowl titles and he earned being "elite" no matter how you define it.

You left out Eli. He has two Super Bowl titles and he earned being "elite" no matter how you define it.

A lot of luck and a killer defense at the right time. Granted, the Giants knocked off the Patriots (twice) but that doesn't single handedly elevate the QB of the winning team to the top eicholon of his peers.

The same goes with Ben Roethlisberger - he has two as well. SB titles does not a QB make. Consistency is more telling than hot streaks because, eventually, the luck won't go your way or the team will waiver. When a QB has to and CAN carry a team - that's a true sign of greatness.

I do think Eli and Ben are both easily top 10 QBs, but they're not a pair of the best to ever play the game. Rodgers, P. Manning, Brady, and Brees are.

But saying a QB who has won two SBs in two tries is not elite is just silly.

Do you consider Jim Plunkett top 10?

I suppose it really does depends on how you define elite. If you're talking top 50 or even 25 then sure I'll throw Eli in there. The best of the best ever, though? Top 10? No way. Even Brees is really reaching to be included in that category.

Do you consider Jim Plunkett top 10?

I suppose it really does depends on how you define elite. If you're talking top 50 or even 25 then sure I'll throw Eli in there. The best of the best ever, though? Top 10? No way. Even Brees is really reaching to be included in that category.

Well, who are the best ever? Unitas. Otto Graham, Bradshaw, Montana, Steve Young? Who exactly are you talking about? Farve? Marino? Namath?

Well, who are the best ever? Unitas. Otto Graham, Bradshaw, Montana, Steve Young? Who exactly are you talking about? Farve? Marino? Namath?

1: Marino

2: Unitas

3: Graham

4: Elway

Bit of a gap after these four. They're pretty well untouchable. 5-10 kinda shuffle around a bit.

5: Staubach

6: Fouts

7: P. Manning

8: Montana

9: Brady

10: RODGAHS - Although he's better right NOW than Brady and P. Manning...and, well, everyone else. If anyone has the potential to break my top 4 it's him.

Right there: Drew Brees...but he's beginning to taper off so I can't see him squeezing in here. Steve Young deserves honorable mention as well.

The likes of the modern guys (PM, TB, Rodgahs) have the ruleset to overcome.The league babies QB's and it's very pass friendly, so it's difficult to list any of them in the top 5. All of the modern QBs tend to wear skirts, and some tend to "indulge" more than others if someone gets within sniffing distance. It's really hard to look past those pathetic displays modern QBs put on.

Bit of a gap after these four. They're pretty well untouchable. 5-10 kinda shuffle around a bit.

10: RODGAHS - Although he's better right NOW than Brady and P. Manning...and, well, everyone else. If anyone has the potential to break my top 4 it's him.

Right there: Drew Brees...but he's beginning to taper off so I can't see him squeezing in here. Steve Young deserves honorable mention as well.

The likes of the modern guys (PM, TB, Rodgahs) have the ruleset to overcome.The league babies QB's and it's very pass friendly, so it's difficult to list any of them in the top 5. All of the modern QBs tend to wear skirts, and some tend to "indulge" more than others if someone gets within sniffing distance. It's really hard to look past those pathetic displays modern QBs put on.

So, Marino gets ranked ahead of Bradshaw and Montana. That is 0 SBs to 7SBs. I don't think much of your rankings. Staubach over Peyton Manning, Fouts, Brady and Montana. Get real....

Seriously? Montana 8th?? He's pretty much unanimously the best QB ever

:mindblow:

So, Marino gets ranked ahead of Bradshaw and Montana. That is 0 SBs to 7SBs. I don't think much of your rankings. Staubach over Peyton Manning, Fouts, Brady and Montana. Get real....

Like I said, rings don't make the QB. Teams make the rings.

Marino carried terrible teams year after year, even getting to the Super Bowl once with a defense that made Indy's all these years look like world beaters. (Outside the 2006 playoff anomoly.) The great Peyton Manning only won when he had a defense for a brief stretch. Marino was never so fortunate.

Brady won all of his rings with the Patriots when they had a killer D. It's still good with turnovers/run D, but not what it was and the pass defense is poor. Since his defense collapsed, Brady's playoff record is in the same ballpark as another guy who has no D in the playoffs - Peyton Manning.

Bradshaw was certainly a very good QB, but it was called the Steel Curtain for a reason. 4 rings, defense.

Montana - Rice. Jerry Rice was not only the best receiver to play by a mile, but also the best NFL player to ever take to the field. Granted, Rice wasn't there for the first two Superbowls. Rice aside, the 49'ers were LOADED. See the financial heck they fell in to after their championship runs. Offense, defense, special teams, total package. What happened without all that? See Kansas City. Another fellow named Steve Young came in and picked up right after Joe.

Noticing a pattern about defense/team capability and the number of rings? For crying out loud TRENT DILFER won a ring with the Ravens.

P. Manning, Brady, etc? Roughing the passer, tying the defense's hands, ruleset in general that the old guys didn't have the luxury of. Those guys got crushed, regularly. Manning had a terrible line post 2006 in Indy, but now has good pass protection in Denver. Brady annually has all day to throw behind his fortress, a yearly top 3 pass blocking line if not the best in football. Defenders not only have to beat such an O-line, they then can't so much as sneeze at the QB improperly.

Seriously? Montana 8th?? He's pretty much unanimously the best QB ever

Unanimously? 99%? I doubt that, if only because of people's blind homerism. (Colts fans say Peyton, NE says Brady, NO says Brees, etc.)

:mindblow:

lol.

Pass the doobie

Like I said, rings don't make the QB. Teams make the rings.

Marino carried terrible teams year after year, even getting to the Super Bowl once with a defense that made Indy's all these years look like world beaters. (Outside the 2006 playoff anomoly.) The great Peyton Manning only won when he had a defense for a brief stretch. Marino was never so fortunate.

Brady won all of his rings with the Patriots when they had a killer D. It's still good with turnovers/run D, but not what it was and the pass defense is poor. Since his defense collapsed, Brady's playoff record is in the same ballpark as another guy who has no D in the playoffs - Peyton Manning.

Bradshaw was certainly a very good QB, but it was called the Steel Curtain for a reason. 4 rings, defense.

Montana - Rice. Jerry Rice was not only the best receiver to play by a mile, but also the best NFL player to ever take to the field. Granted, Rice wasn't there for the first two Superbowls. Rice aside, the 49'ers were LOADED. See the financial heck they fell in to after their championship runs. Offense, defense, special teams, total package. What happened without all that? See Kansas City. Another fellow named Steve Young came in and picked up right after Joe.

Noticing a pattern about defense/team capability and the number of rings? For crying out loud TRENT DILFER won a ring with the Ravens.

P. Manning, Brady, etc? Roughing the passer, tying the defense's hands, ruleset in general that the old guys didn't have the luxury of. Those guys got crushed, regularly. Manning had a terrible line post 2006 in Indy, but now has good pass protection in Denver. Brady annually has all day to throw behind his fortress, a yearly top 3 pass blocking line if not the best in football. Defenders not only have to beat such an O-line, they then can't so much as sneeze at the QB improperly.

Unanimously? 99%? I doubt that, if only because of people's blind homerism. (Colts fans say Peyton, NE says Brady, NO says Brees, etc.)

lol.

Like I said, I don't think much of your evaluations....