Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Miller facing possible six game suspension

amfootball

People are really overstating the loss of Dumerville me thinks. He was a middling pass rusher that benefited from the attention O-lines gave to Miller.

Now Miller is a huge loss (He's probably the best edge rusher since Derrick Thomas). He pretty much makes their defense run. 

Let's not forget that Denver is also fielding a top 5 secondary and an above average LB corps (even with the loss of Miller).

Will it hurt them? For sure, but it's hardly going to be their undoing.

You could be right Dustin except for 1 thing with Von Miller gone for 6 games is LB Shaun Phillips good enough to hold down the fort in Miller's absence? No, not to me he isn't. That's the problem SW1 has. The production at that position goes from stout to a significant drop off... 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point MAC. All Miller really needed was a prescription pad from a Dr. & an illegible signature. It's simply for "medicinal purposes" right? Just Kidding! If you have the money, the state of Colorado, District attorneys are unlikely to convene grand juries since they they refuse to hand down criminal indictments to prosecute customers for marijuana consumption. It's about the amount distributed per patient that the feds track not the actually growth of the pot labs. 60 Minutes did an expose investigative story on that very debate in Denver actually. 

No prescription pad necessary. It's simply legal - medical use or recreational. Well technically I don't think that they've started selling it yet - I was just making the "moral" argument that even if he was caught using it again it's actually even less of a "crime" than the tickets that he got in trouble for. We aren't talking about a hardened criminal here - such as Hernandez.

Of course it's the NFL's rules that matter as far as suspensions go.

By the way, I feel uncomfortable defending this issue seeing as how I've never even tried anything in my life. I wouldn't want Miller lighting up in my living room, but this is not to be confused with steroids (I can't fathom that it would help anyone's performance) nor harder drugs.

I hope you're right FX. Timing may be in Denver's favor calendar wise, but Peyton needs all hands on deck. 18 can't win games all by himself anymore. RB Hillman can't hold onto the ball [seattle Preseason game] & I need to see a few more games to ascertain if Ball can actually block in pass protection or not. With no ground game, Manning is toast. 

I would disagree that Peyton can't win games all by himself anymore. His running game last year was non-existent for the most part, and yet I would argue Peyton played at a higher level than he has since 2004. However, if Ball continues to block like he did in Seattle, that could literally get Peyton killed.

In and of itself....I agree a Miller suspension of even 6 games doesn't sink the ship....not in the AFC West anyway. But versus playoff and/or Super Bowl competition....should the Broncos meet expectations and make it that far....these negatives are beginning to pile up.

Even under the best scenario for Denver....no injuries, no suspensions, no Dumervil blunder...I had a measure doubt that they would WIN the Super Bowl this year due to the strengths of the NFC 2-3 teams they'd likely face.

Now, today? I wouldn't be terribly shocked if they don't even represent the AFC.

Pac56, 

You make some great points my friend, but to me, if anything impedes Denver's SB aspirations this season it will be because of HC John Fox. He isn't a risk taker & he has no step on your opponent's throat instinct at all. Last season against the Ravens proved that. Can Fox change? It's not in his nature. Fox is a play it safe guy plain & simple. There is no daredevil inside of him. 

You could be right Dustin except for 1 thing with Von Miller gone for 6 games is LB Shaun Phillips good enough to hold down the fort in Miller's absence? No, not to me he isn't. That's the problem SW1 has. The production at that position goes from stout to a significant drop off... 

Von Miller + Phillips = Okay

Phillips + Ayers = No Pass Rush

Pac56, 

You make some great points my friend, but to me, if anything impedes Denver's SB aspirations this season it will be because of HC John Fox. He isn't a risk taker & he has no step on your opponent's throat instinct at all. Last season against the Ravens proved that. Can Fox change? It's not in his nature. Fox is a play it safe guy plain & simple. There is no daredevil inside of him. 

Whole-heartedly agree. You have the Greatest Quarterback of all time imo playing for you. You have very good receivers. You need to go for that juggler and take risks. Fox is probably best suited for a quarterback like Alex Smith, a game manager. Guys like BB, Sean Payton, and McCarthy are best suited for Peyton and his offense. Fox's timid coaching philosophy probably wont be an issue until those shootout games, where you really need those extra points.

No prescription pad necessary. It's simply legal - medical use or recreational. Well technically I don't think that they've started selling it yet - I was just making the "moral" argument that even if he was caught using it again it's actually even less of a "crime" than the tickets that he got in trouble for. We aren't talking about a hardened criminal here - such as Hernandez.

Of course it's the NFL's rules that matter as far as suspensions go.

By the way, I feel uncomfortable defending this issue seeing as how I've never even tried anything in my life. I wouldn't want Miller lighting up in my living room, but this is not to be confused with steroids (I can't fathom that it would help anyone's performance) nor harder drugs.

A nice reply there MAC. No worries pal, you are just pointing out what the existing Colorado laws on pot use are. It doesn't mean that you yourself are addicted to it. I know that buddy. I have friends in law enforcement. Just because I know the penalties for prostitution that doesn't mean I seek those "services" either. There's a difference between explaining a law & breaking that law. You're a fine upstanding citizen in my book Mac.  :thmup: It's all good...

People are acting like all this is happening week 14. As long as they are ready for the playoffs who cares?

Dumerville will not be there in week 14. Miller right now is a huge question mark depending on the suspension (last night on NFL network there was talk that it could be 8 games or the whole season so have to see how it all pans out). The injury to the center was season ending as well. Some of the set backs are not just in the interim but will effect the season. I still think Manning is good enough to get them the wins but the West won't be a cake walk this year like last year ...

Not even the most scurrilous media hound has claimed that he "submitted someones sample for his drug test" or worse yet that "he was at the scene of a five person murder". It was a revenge murder/robbery plot in which the bodies were found by the police after the fact. "At the scene". What are you talking about?

You are seriously underselling the many bizarre stories that have been reported about Hernandez. Miller is a dumb kid, Hernandez is a pathological disturbed social deviant. 

Perhaps Brady was too scared to yell at him. No wonder they dumped him as soon as he was in handcuffs. :poke:

You missed my larger point. We don't know these guys. No one knew AH's activities or else he would have never been in the draft or played three years for the Pats. The rap sheet on Miller appears to be growing by the day so we will see how it pans out...much conflicting info out there. Speaking of which, where is Bayone to help clear this up for us? ;)

I would disagree that Peyton can't win games all by himself anymore. His running game last year was non-existent for the most part, and yet I would argue Peyton played at a higher level than he has since 2004. However, if Ball continues to block like he did in Seattle, that could literally get Peyton killed.

Exactly, put Terrell Davis's number on speed dial, go to his house, & learn from 1 of the NFL's best running backs around Montee Ball. Call up Shannon Sharpe too. A great clutch TE that was tough HOF TE & a great performer in must win Playoff games. Sharpe was a smack talker who always delivered on Sunday. This game is all about psychological toughness & intestinal fortitude.

People are acting like all this is happening week 14. As long as they are ready for the playoffs who cares?

That's a fair point....but we know this is a team with fan, media and their own expectations of winning a Super Bowl this season or next. Peyton's ability to completely carry a team can't last forever.

They could regroup and still make that SB push....and their AFC West opposition SEEMS about as schedule-friendly as it gets....but they're off to a shaky start and as we saw with our own team last year, the NFL is full of surprises.

There just isn't a whole lot more room for any more than the usual injuries and such.

The real question is can Von Miller pass a urine test for the remaining 10 weeks? Denver will need him in November & December. Don't be selfish Von think of your teammates depending on you. 

Yeah, personally I would have paid Elvis Dumervil. You can never have too many pass rushers/QB killers on your roster. "Just the Fax  ma'am" [Dragnet TV show line]. haha

Elway made a colossal front office mistake on that move IMO. 

Yes, one of the strangest contract blunders of all time.

What blew me away with that whole story...

Why are NFL teams still using obsolete technology like fax machines? Seriously? 

Next we're going to be told that Elway missed a free agent meeting because his beeper didn't go off!  ;)

You might need to squint a little harder to truly believe that. : haha:

Hernandez is a deranged thug who's been freaking out anyone who even looked at him since he was a teenager. Miller is a sweetheart who is beloved by his teammates and fans. There's a bit of a difference between PERHAPS smoking pot (which I remind you is now legal in Colorado) and then saying "dang, I'm so immature that  I forget I have a test this morning. I'd better drink a gallon of gatoraid before heading over there" and KILLING someone because they were witnesses to you KILLING a couple of other people.

You reminding us that pot is legal in Colorado has nothing to do with the contract that Miller signed. 

Dumerville will not be there in week 14. Miller right now is a huge question mark depending on the suspension (last night on NFL network there was talk that it could be 8 games or the whole season so have to see how it all pans out). The injury to the center was season ending as well. Some of the set backs are not just in the interim but will effect the season. I still think Manning is good enough to get them the wins but the West won't be a cake walk this year like last year ...

Dummerville is old news....Elway's didn't seem too concerned about keeping him around anyway.

I haven't heard anything about Miller missing the whole season....that's just talking head filler

JD could return late in the season, but Lilja was effective for KC last yr anyway.

Almost all of these setbacks are short term

You reminding us that pot is legal in Colorado has nothing to do with the contract that Miller signed. 

Never said that it did. The context in that post had little to do with the NFL rules, just what is considered acceptable social behavior.

The point was that Miller fc_notequal_41725_lg.gifHernandez

Why are you saying this is "asinine period" and being rude (asking people if they get it) before the facts come out ? If this is just a missed drug test and no more and he gets 6 games , then it is way too tough. My question is do you have reliable information that this is all there is to this or are you just going by what Miller and those close to him are saying ?

If you are basing a good deal of your feelings on Miller's denial , that is laughable. If it does turn out to be a missed test and nothing more , I would think he will win his appeal and the 6 games will be reduced. Hope this doesn't set you off again...

i guess its like asking the question why your calling ME out. isnt it. get a clue. Laugh all you want. your wrong and thats all we need to know. flat out wrong. i dont care for Miller. what i do care about is people being treated equally. can YOU get that??

Well uhhhh....see....wuh had happened was....

Spongebob_smoking_Weed.jpg

That sponge bob picture is hilarious PAC56! If I have an overwhelming case of the munchies right now, does that mean SW1 has a drug problem?  :lol:  Just Kidding! Cartoons & "special" brownies go together well man...My bad. :P  

What blew me away with that whole story...

Why are NFL teams still using obsolete technology like fax machines? Seriously? 

Next we're going to be told that Elway missed a free agent meeting because his beeper didn't go off!  ;)

Good point GoPats! The NFL is a multi billion dollar industry & Pat Bowlen is a wealthy owner I'm sure he can afford the latest technology. At least, I hope the front office is using Skype as opposed to the Pony Express anyway for their mail & telegrams. Just Kidding!

You don't see too many job descriptions looking for secretaries with a working knowledge of Morse Code anymore. I kid; I kid. 

220px-Pony_Express_Poster.jpg

i guess its like asking the question why your calling ME out. isnt it. get a clue. Laugh all you want. your wrong and thats all we need to know. flat out wrong. i dont care for Miller. what i do care about is people being treated equally. can YOU get that??

For someone who don't like Miller you seem to be pretty aggressive defending him. First of all you seem to think that failing to appear in a court of law is nothing. Then there is this story that said Miller's suspension was for some USO show he was at. It's funny I haven't even seen a story that stated that. Now you make a strong point that someone is wrong. Maybe take a look in a mirror? I guess you feel like no one else has a right to have a different point of view? You grew more agitated with your comments as the thread went along. Why?

For someone who don't like Miller you seem to be pretty aggressive defending him. First of all you seem to think that failing to appear in a court of law is nothing. Then there is this story that said Miller's suspension was for some USO show he was at. It's funny I haven't even seen a story that stated that. Now you make a strong point that someone is wrong. Maybe take a look in a mirror? I guess you feel like no one else has a right to have a different point of view? You grew more agitated with your comments as the thread went along. Why?

I think it's pretty obvious what we are dealing with here. 

Never said that it did. The context in that post had little to do with the NFL rules, just what is considered acceptable social behavior.

When a player is under a NFL contract smoking weed is not acceptable social behavior. No way do I put Miller even close to AH. My only point is Miller not having enough self control not to smoke weed when his NFL career is on the line. His teammates depending on him and he would rather get high. He has been tested at least 3 times so he has had every chance to get himself right. Smoking weed may be acceptable behavior but not when your in the NFL. Being in the NFL is not a right and they do have higher standards. Being drug free is not too much to ask when you are paid the type of money these player make. 

Gosh, who is comparing the two but you? My point is that none of us and by "us" I mean fans, NFL scouts, coaches, owners really knows these players. Miller can appear like a sweetheart like you said but he is far from that now. Most felt AH was a stand up guy and never could of imagined him being arrested for homicide. There is apparently a lot going on with Miller much of which has come to light these the last few weeks so we are in a wait and see period now.

Dummerville is old news....Elway's didn't seem too concerned about keeping him around anyway.

I haven't heard anything about Miller missing the whole season....that's just talking head filler

JD could return late in the season, but Lilja was effective for KC last yr anyway.

Almost all of these setbacks are short term

Sure he is old news but he and Miller were the sack kings for the team so the combo is devastating. To come out of the gate like this puts the Broncs behind the eight ball for the first 6 weeks maybe longer depending on injuries and how long Miller is actually suspended. If they go .500 during that period and then struggle the second half of the season then week 14 won't matter because they will be out of it.

Sure he is old news but he and Miller were the sack kings for the team so the combo is devastating. To come out of the gate like this puts the Broncs behind the eight ball for the first 6 weeks maybe longer depending on injuries and how long Miller is actually suspended. If they go .500 during that period and then struggle the second half of the season then week 14 won't matter because they will be out of it.

Keep hoping

Keep hoping

Good grief. Yeah that is what I am doing "hoping."  Not sure why straightforward analysis is always construed with an alterior motive if it goes against the team folks are rooting for. I think RG is going to have a pretty good year but I am sure you read that as me saying he is better than Luck. So predictable up here at times ...

Good grief. Yeah that is what I am doing "hoping." Not sure why straightforward analysis is always construed with an alterior motive if it goes against the team folks are rooting for. I think RG is going to have a pretty good year but I am sure you read that as me saying he is better than Luck. So predictable up here at times ...

Trust me. We aren't the only ones :).

When a player is under a NFL contract smoking weed is not acceptable social behavior. No way do I put Miller even close to AH. My only point is Miller not having enough self control not to smoke weed when his NFL career is on the line. His teammates depending on him and he would rather get high. He has been tested at least 3 times so he has had every chance to get himself right. Smoking weed may be acceptable behavior but not when your in the NFL. Being in the NFL is not a right and they do have higher standards. Being drug free is not too much to ask when you are paid the type of money these player make. 

Geez.. what's wrong with some of these posters . Because they think it's fine to smoke weed ... it's a travesty that stuff like this happens ? My God welcome to the real world folks. I had to take a drug test to get hired for the last job a had and it was for a whole lot less than 6-7 million. The NFL states you can't play their game and be smoking weed. What's so hard to swallow there ?

Good grief. Yeah that is what I am doing "hoping."  Not sure why straightforward analysis is always construed with an alterior motive if it goes against the team folks are rooting for. I think RG is going to have a pretty good year but I am sure you read that as me saying he is better than Luck. So predictable up here at times ...

1. Because your analysis is consistently eye rolling

2. I'm not a Broncos fan

Edited by Nadine
personal shot

lmao.. how much more ridiculous can this get.. keep pushing it, keep acting like you don't know.. blah, blah, blah.. keep digging your own hole.

No ... not "ALLEGEDLY."

First of all I was just joking around a bit . Secondly , he has tested positive in the past .. that's why he's facing a 6 game suspension.

So we OK now ?

Everyone else was fighting about Miller. I was tired of being excluded lol.