Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Miller facing possible six game suspension

amfootball

Everyone else was fighting about Miller. I was tired of being excluded lol.

That's good house... lol. Sorry I don't know you better , otherwise I would have realized you were breaking my stones. But ya .. this is one beauty of a thread . isn't it ?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think that because a bronco is a horse and a horse can be crossed with a donkey to get a mule has anything to do with some of the responses we've seen in this thread ? Gosh... that's a long sentence

Yep...what's another word for donkey? I'm not shocked at the hostility of some of the posts in this thread, unfortunately. How about lightening things up? :banana:

Yep...what's another word for donkey? I'm not shocked at the hostility of some of the posts in this thread, unfortunately. How about lightening things up? :banana:

I'm as "light" as can be on this . I could care less if his suspension is 6 days or six years. Fact is I really don't care if he smokes or smoked weed and I really don't have a problem with players paying the consequences if they are stupid enough to fail or "miss" tests. Now if it were a Colt player , I would then care but I wouldn't defend him. Nor would I listen to his gibberish on how he did nothing wrong. In the meantime , I'm getting a very good "charge" out of some of ridiculous defenses being offered in this thread. I'm sure this thread will be closed but it has been entertaining.

Gosh, who is comparing the two but you? My point is that none of us and by "us" I mean fans, NFL scouts, coaches, owners really knows these players. Miller can appear like a sweetheart like you said but he is far from that now. Most felt AH was a stand up guy and never could of imagined him being arrested for homicide. There is apparently a lot going on with Miller much of which has come to light these the last few weeks so we are in a wait and see period now.

YOU brought him up, I protested, you explained your context, and I let it go. End of story.

There was no reason for you to reply to my conversation with another fellow who decided to jump in and take my comment out of context and into an entirely different direction.

I'm as "light" as can be on this . I could care less if his suspension is 6 days or six years. Fact is I really don't care if he smokes or smoked weed and I really don't have a problem with players paying the consequences if they are stupid enough to fail or "miss" tests. Now if it were a Colt player , I would then care but I wouldn't defend him. Nor would I listen to his gibberish on how he did nothing wrong. In the meantime , I'm getting a very good "charge" out of some of ridiculous defenses being offered in this thread. I'm sure this thread will be closed but it has been entertaining.

Yep, one of my guys just did something stupid and is facing at least one regular season suspension, and I have no intention of defending him either. I like it when people can see that even their favorite players have to face the consequences like everyone else and don't make silly or outlandish excuses for them. You're right though, this thread is on the highway to...well I'd rather not say. Lol.

lmao.. how much more ridiculous can this get.. keep pushing it, keep acting like you don't know.. blah, blah, blah.. keep digging your own hole.

Keep acting like I don't know? What I said is what I read from your comments. That's all no more, no less. And now I am digging my own hole? Exactly what does that mean? Is that a threat? All of my comments was based off your post. 

What blew me away with that whole story...

Why are NFL teams still using obsolete technology like fax machines? Seriously? 

Next we're going to be told that Elway missed a free agent meeting because his beeper didn't go off!  ;)

Is there a reason my beeper hasn't gone off in a while?  :scratch: I thought everyone forgot my number.

YOU brought him up, I protested, you explained your context, and I let it go. End of story.

There was no reason for you to reply to my conversation with another fellow who decided to jump in and take my comment out of context and into an entirely different direction.

Yes, my apologies. I realized that after I posted that you were not responding to me. :sorry:

Cant help but take the time and send this note

Von Miller suspended for faxing in his tests ( LOL )

****   for all who haven't read why cant be here as before,. please read

http://forums.colts....my-future-here/

I was wondering what happened to you. We rely on you for all things Broncos. :)

I am sorry to hear your situation has made it such that you will spend last time here. I agree about it being a place of enjoyment and an escape of sorts. I hope everything works out for you and your loved ones.

I was wondering what happened to you. We rely on you for all things Broncos. :)

I am sorry to hear your situation has made it such that you will spend last time here. I agree about it being a place of enjoyment and an escape of sorts. I hope everything works out for you and your loved ones.

'COPY & PASTE comment # 6 from  my post  http://forums.colts....my-future-here/, appreciate u looked at it

appreciate the likes and kind  responses, Luck / Colts did well last night, watched with mom at assisted living , been awhile since I watched with her, she forgets she has COPD , gets confused and worried why breathing suddenly worse and often I have to now just go over and remind her its normal ( that is I am only one who can ease her anxiety and get her to relax & realize she isn't in trouble )

Told her to cheer when Luck passed for TD's,  the cheering helped  calm her and she was able to go to sleep 

Very strange caring for a 95 year old who seems to be ones child now , esp when u never had a child yourself

Oh yeah she laughed by herself when Luck threw that near pick that deflected up and Reggie caught it for first TD , she liked the bouncing ball

Its good to watch her laugh

Read this article:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2013/08/20/von-miller-suspension-denver-broncos/2678349/

"Distractions are also when you are getting patted on the back all the time, too, which we have been quite a bit. I think this is something we realize," Elway said.

Just what I felt about the Broncos' locker room environment top down, lots of pats on the back and enabling but few demands of accountability off the field.

I actually question why the NFL even has a policy regarding "recreational" drugs. 

I've known a lot of climbers who were into smoking pot... it's a performance DE-enhancing drug (PDDs?). No doubt in my mind there. 

So unless NFL teams are going to start getting 2 points on the scoreboard for every bowl of Cocoa Puffs that a player scarfs down on the sidelines, then who cares? I honestly don't. If Von Miller wants to toke it up on his free time that means nothing to me as a football fan. 

I actually question why the NFL even has a policy regarding "recreational" drugs. 

I've known a lot of climbers who were into smoking pot... it's a performance DE-enhancing drug (PDDs?). No doubt in my mind there. 

So unless NFL teams are going to start getting 2 points on the scoreboard for every bowl of Cocoa Puffs that a player scarfs down on the sidelines, then who cares? I honestly don't. If Von Miller wants to toke it up on his free time that means nothing to me as a football fan. 

You are missing the larger point here. If it is dehancing then I don't want guys on my team doing it like Gronk for example which would hurt his production.

Also these athletes are role models as well so the NFLs stance on rec drugs even legals ones had to be strict. You would think these guys could do at least that given the bank they make. My former work place would have fired me on the spot if I came in high.

Even Bill Polian said most NFL GMs wish weed wasn't tested for.....they aren't concerned about the drug effects just the possible suspensions.

I believe this would have been his first suspension, so it was to be 4 games.  However, he tampered with the process, and the NFL wanted 8 games for that.  THey negotiated down to 6.  Miller 'spilled' his first sample.  Couldn't deliver another so went out on practice field and drank water heavily and seat during his workpout.  The sample delivered then was considered 'diluted'.  So no positive reult could be obtained, but circumventing the test nets suspensions too. and apparently the NFL wants to drive home those are more harsh than failing properly.  Anywho, Miller is stage 3 so his next positive is a full year suspension.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2013/08/20/von-miller-suspension-denver-broncos/2678349/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/19/spilled-urine-diluted-urine-led-to-von-miller-mess/

You are missing the larger point here. If it is dehancing then I don't want guys on my team doing it like Gronk for example which would hurt his production.

Also these athletes are role models as well so the NFLs stance on rec drugs even legals ones had to be strict. You would think these guys could do at least that given the bank they make. My former work place would have fired me on the spot if I came in high.

I don't know if anything could really make Gronk any dumber.  ;)

No seriously, I know what you're saying... I will personally raise my two kids to understand that most NFL players should NOT be their role models, but it happens.

I actually had to fire a guide who was working for me once because I caught him 10 minutes before his shift smoking a joint. I told him I didn't care what he did on his own time, but that I could not have him being responsible for people's safety while he was toasted. It was crazy, he was really indignant about it, like I was doing something wrong. I've never seen a man that indignant before (a woman yes, but not a man, haha).

So they shouldn't be held to the same moral and legal standard as the rest of us? If I failed a drug test I would be lucky to only receive a suspension. The fact is it is illegal and criminality has repercussion in most professional environments.

From a personal stand point, I do not care either, smoke away, but if I am held accountable for such things, why should professional athletes not?

So they shouldn't be held to the same moral and legal standard as the rest of us? If I failed a drug test I would be lucky to only receive a suspension. The fact is it is illegal and criminality has repercussion in most professional environments.

From a personal stand point, I do not care either, smoke away, but if I am held accountable for such things, why should professional athletes not?

Drug testing may not be as prevalent in the US workplace as it is elsewhere in the world... I don't really know. But very few people I know have to submit to drug testing for their jobs. Mostly just people who work in fields with a high awareness around safety and occupational hazards (construction, civil service jobs, etc).

I also find it personally intrusive, but that's just me being a privileged American. ;) 

Speaking in general terms, and without getting into any further discussion/debate, I also find it extremely hypocritical. Alcohol has destroyed far more lives than marijuana ever has, but it's much more "morally acceptable" somehow. I don't smoke and I am a pretty infrequent drinker, but either way, what other people do with their lives is really none of my business (unless, of course, they make it my business by crashing their car into me, etc).

Drug testing may not be as prevalent in the US workplace as it is elsewhere in the world... I don't really know. But very few people I know have to submit to drug testing for their jobs. Mostly just people who work in fields with a high awareness around safety and occupational hazards (construction, civil service jobs, etc).

I also find it personally intrusive, but that's just me being a privileged American. ;)

Speaking in general terms, and without getting into any further discussion/debate, I also find it extremely hypocritical. Alcohol has destroyed far more lives than marijuana ever has, but it's much more "morally acceptable" somehow. I don't smoke and I am a pretty infrequent drinker, but either way, what other people do with their lives is really none of my business (unless, of course, they make it my business by crashing their car into me, etc).

It's more prevalent than you think, a lot of law firms/management consulting companies do them routinely.

In terms of its morality, I agree with you 100%. However, at the end of the day, alcohol is legal and weed isn't... that's what it comes down to.

It's more prevalent than you think, a lot of law firms/management consulting companies do them routinely.

In terms of its morality, I agree with you 100%. However, at the end of the day, alcohol is legal and weed isn't... that's what it comes down to.

You are of course correct... can't argue with that logic. I think we're probably more in agreement here than disagreement. 

I'm still waiting for congress to get drug tested

there's a big difference between Gronk, to use your example, getting high a couple of nights before a game and him getting high 5 minutes before a game.  Getting high a couple of nights before the game would not have any effect on his in-game performance.  Getting high 5 minutes before the game clearly would.  However, if he did either, he would fail a drug test.  

there's a big difference between Gronk, to use your example, getting high a couple of nights before a game and him getting high 5 minutes before a game.  Getting high a couple of nights before the game would not have any effect on his in-game performance.  Getting high 5 minutes before the game clearly would.  However, if he did either, he would fail a drug test.  

To be honest, I would not want Gronk or Brady smoking cigarettes much less weed. I don't think it is too much to expect pro athletes to not use recretional drugs that are on the NFL ban list. I realize many of them drink and such but given the bank they make and the cities they represent, you would think this would be a no brainer but sadly for some it isn't.

To be honest, I would not want Gronk or Brady smoking cigarettes much less weed. I don't think it is too much to expect pro athletes to not use recretional drugs that are on the NFL ban list. I realize many of them drink and such but given the bank they make and the cities they represent, you would think this would be a no brainer but sadly for some it isn't.

That's all well and good, and I agree.  If it's banned then don't do it.  If you do then you deserve the punishment you receive.  My previous post however was specifically in reference to 2 comments you made:

1) you said you did not want players doing something that would affect their performance....getting high 5 minutes before a game would affect his performance, but getting high a few nights before the game would not

and 

2) you would get fired if you showed up to work high...yes and that's the way it should be. However I doubt even those who've said that they don't think players should be tested for weed would condone players actually playing the game high.  

That's all well and good, and I agree.  If it's banned then don't do it.  If you do then you deserve the punishment you receive.  My previous post however was specifically in reference to this:

Gotcha. Yeah, I agree for the most part. But if he was a pot head and smoked a few times a week even if it was not before game day it would effect his performance.

Good point Anton, but SW1 would still be mesmerized to see the "Puff The Magic Dragon" stadium & the Green Hemp Good Year Blimp. Just Kidding! Perfect for Denver games. Pot is legal there on a state level in some community districts you know. Does this mean rapper Snoop Dogg is destined to do the Superbowl halftime show there if they get a winning host bid too? Hmmm...

Free brownies on family scrimmage night for everybody! Only teasing..

In all seriousness, like many have already said on this topic, why would any athlete swallow, smoke, or inject an illegal narcotic into their bloodstream? Von Miller's 6 game suspension will cost him close to $1,000,000 that's 6 zeros people. It's just not worth it IMO. 

I've heard other people make the argument that Anton did. He's not wrong; Booze is legal & marijuana isn't. True, except for 1 thing: Alcohol went through Prohibition in 1919 before the sale, taxing, & distribution of this product became accepted by mainstream society too. Too many people forget that. Gin made in bathtubs & homemade moonshine distilleries across the country in the early 1920's. 

Couldn't you just see the corporate commercial partnerships with cannabis energy drinks & Doritos or Fritos chips? My point is this: Every controversial substance goes through some sort of revolution before it emerges from the underground to a public form of tolerance. History proves this time & time again...The only difference between beer & pot is state & federal taxation like cigarettes & tobacco was once thought to be a demonic substance grown by American Indians too. 

How?

Because smoking it long term would impair production.

The active ingredient in marijuana is THC. That's short for delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol.

THC is rapidly absorbed after smoking pot. Within minutes, THC and the other substances in marijuana smoke cause short-term medical effects.

Continue reading below...

Signs of using marijuana include:

• Rapid heart rate
  • Increased blood pressure
  • Increased rate of breathing
  • Red eyes
  • Dry mouth
  • Increased appetite, or "the munchies"
  • Slowed reaction time

These effects are reduced after three or four hours. However, marijuana hangs around in your system for as long as a month after smoking. The lingering effects mean you're impaired for several days to weeks after the high wears off.

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/marijuana-use-and-its-effects

Gotcha. Yeah, I agree for the most part. But if he was a pot head and smoked a few times a week even if it was not before game day it would effect his performance.

How?

Good question Jason! I'm no Dr. & perhaps my buddy Barry who is actually Dr. can address this question: Von Miller is a LB who can disrupt the QB as a pass rusher & I've heard that hemp can accelerate an athlete's heart rate making them believe that move quicker & reek havoc on the QB much faster.

Can an accelerated heart rate make a professional athlete move faster like an involuntary reflex or is that just a myth with no medical validity to it whatsoever? And just because an NFL player may increase their blood flow to certain limbs like their arms & feet that doesn't necessarily mean that the brain is fully functional & can process what going on around them correctly right?

I don't know. I'm just asking. Thanks Barry.    

The active ingredient in marijuana is THC. That's short for delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol.

THC is rapidly absorbed after smoking pot. Within minutes, THC and the other substances in marijuana smoke cause short-term medical effects.

• Rapid heart rate
  • Red eyes
  • Dry mouth
  • Slowed reaction time
These effects are reduced after three or four hours. However, marijuana hangs around in your system for as long as a month after smoking. The lingering effects mean you're impaired for several days to weeks after the high wears off.

Didn't seem to impair Miller lol

• Rapid heart rate
  • Red eyes
  • Dry mouth
  • Slowed reaction time

Okay, when I was writing my response to Jason & Barry, amfootball posted this. I don't put much stock in online sites like WebMD though. Not a reflection of you amfootball at all. I just respect Barry's years of medical school training. Plus, I knew a lot of PreMed students at my 1st graduate school along with nurses & I'd like to hear a response straight from an expert like Barry, albeit 2nd hand to me in this case. 

I'd still like to hear Barry's impressions on pot use as it relates to NFL players & performance on the field. I don't expect a dissertation or JAMA article here Barry. Just confirm or deny WebMD's findings that amfootball furnished on a general level & whether or not your experience with patients on this drug proliferates or diminishes a player's performance in your view. Thanks.  :thmup:

No rush on your reply buddy. Whenever you feel up to it okay. I know how hard Dr.s work & they need time to chill & relax too. 

Okay, when I was writing my response to Jason & Barry, amfootball posted this. I don't put much stock in online sites like WebMD though. Not a reflection of you amfootball at all. I just respect Barry's years of medical school training. Plus, I knew a lot of PreMed students at my 1st graduate school along with nurses & I'd like to hear a response straight from an expert like Barry, albeit 2nd hand to me in this case. 

I'd still like to hear Barry's impressions on pot use as it relates to NFL players & performance on the field. I don't expect a dissertation or JAMA article here Barry. Just confirm or deny WebMD's findings that amfootball furnished on a general level & whether or not your experience with patients on this drug proliferates or diminishes a player's performance in your view. Thanks.  :thmup:

No rush on your reply buddy. Whenever you feel up to it okay. I know how hard Dr.s work & they need time to chill & relax too. 

There is a reason why pot is on the NFL ban list. It impairs function. I just pulled Web MD because it came up first. There are a zillion sites that will say the same thing. Not one site will say it improves function especially in an athletic setting.

There is a reason why pot is on the NFL ban list. It impairs function. I just pulled Web MD because it came up first. There are a zillion sites that will say the same thing. Not one site will say it improves function especially in an athletic setting.

Yes there is a reason it's a banned substance...because it's still illegal in the majority of the country.  If it were a banned substance simply because it impairs function then alcohol would be banned as well.  And your last statement "Not one site will say it improves function especially in an athletic setting." is ridiculously absurd.