Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Miller facing possible six game suspension

amfootball

Drug testing may not be as prevalent in the US workplace as it is elsewhere in the world... I don't really know. But very few people I know have to submit to drug testing for their jobs. Mostly just people who work in fields with a high awareness around safety and occupational hazards (construction, civil service jobs, etc).

I also find it personally intrusive, but that's just me being a privileged American. ;)

Speaking in general terms, and without getting into any further discussion/debate, I also find it extremely hypocritical. Alcohol has destroyed far more lives than marijuana ever has, but it's much more "morally acceptable" somehow. I don't smoke and I am a pretty infrequent drinker, but either way, what other people do with their lives is really none of my business (unless, of course, they make it my business by crashing their car into me, etc).

I'm no expert but I think many companies require new hires to submit to a drug test . My last job required that. I only worked a year before retiring but I'm pretty sure you didn't have to keep retesting. Didn't I fail it as I had taken a cough medicine with codeine a couple days before the test. Anyway.. I think you're pretty much right on most Americans not being tested. You might want to add things like fork lift operators , truck drivers and probably machine operators to your list. 

That said , I think some are missing the point that it's an employers fright to do this and when a guy making this kind of money either smokes weed or maybe circumvents a test , it's not OK. Or at least it's not smart and he's letting his team down. I don't think it's horrible to smoke weed but I do think it's *ic for a player to miss 6 games as this guy is doing. I also totally blame the player and not the employer or the system.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes there is a reason it's a banned substance...because it's still illegal in the majority of the country.  If it were a banned substance simply because it impairs function then alcohol would be banned as well.  And your last statement "Not one site will say it improves function especially in an athletic setting." is ridiculously absurd.

At one point alcohol was banned in this country. And if a player has an issue with alcohol then the NFL has a treatment program so it is not like guys can just randomly drink when they want without the teams and NFL taking notice to intervene because IT will effect their performance not to mention their safety on the field.

It seems silly to discuss whether drugs impair function as we know they do whether they are legalized or not which is why the NFL has such an extensive list. If you can find me one credible resource that says smoking pot does NOT impair function then I will retract my whole statement.

But back to my original point. Rec drugs will effect performance if taken on a regular basis. How much? Depends on the athlete. But like I said, I don't even want my guys smoking cigarettes as their ability to get down the field fast could be the difference between a TD and a drop. I hope we can at least agree on that but maybe not.

There is a reason why pot is on the NFL ban list. It impairs function. I just pulled Web MD because it came up first. There are a zillion sites that will say the same thing. Not one site will say it improves function especially in an athletic setting.

I agree with you that once multiple sources have the same conclusions about the side effects of pot use a person can pretty much accept those conclusions as a reliable baseline. I wasn't questioning your credibility my friend just the belief that some people may have about a site's worth simply because it has MD in its URL line. No, SW1 is not a Dr. himself nor did he attend medical school. Therefore, I will admit that I myself am no expert either. I just wonder why any athlete smokes pot? The loss of serious cash & a serious hit to your reputation are just never a wise payoff IMHO...

I respect you amfootball & I enjoy reading all of your posts. 

I agree with you that once multiple sources have the same conclusions about the side effects of pot use a person can pretty much accept those conclusions as a reliable baseline. I wasn't questioning your credibility my friend just the belief that some people may have about a site's worth simply because it has MD in its URL line. No, SW1 is not a Dr. himself nor did he attend medical school. Therefore, I will admit that I myself am no expert either. I just wonder why any athlete smokes pot? The loss of serious cash & a serious hit to your reputation are just never a wise payoff IMHO...

I respect you amfootball & I enjoy reading all of your posts. 

Thanks Southwest. I enjoy your posts too and your respectful manner. I have a question for you. Do you think if I started referring to myself in third person like you that people would like me more? I realize some would dislike me no matter what because of my rooting interests but I am willing to try anything to improve image. ;)

At one point alcohol was banned in this country. And if a player has an issue with alcohol then the NFL has a treatment program so it is not like guys can just randomly drink when they want without the teams and NFL taking notice to intervene because IT will effect their performance not to mention their safety on the field.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion but ok.  A player can drink whenever he wants in his free time and neither the team nor NFL will know or do anything about it so long as the player is responsible about it.  Also, yes at one point alcohol was illegal but it's not anymore, just like eventually weed will also be legalized.  It's just a matter of time.  At that point it will be interesting to see if the league removes it from the banned substance list or not.  

It seems silly to discuss whether drugs impair function as we know they do whether they are legalized or not which is why the NFL has such an extensive list. If you can find me one credible resource that says smoking pot does NOT impair function then I will retract my whole statement.

Of course smoking pot inpairs your  function during the time when you're actually smoking.  I simply disagree with your comment that  "smoking a few times per week" would affect the player's performance on game day even if he doesn't smoke on game day.  As well conditioned and trained as these guys are, smoking a few times per week isn't going to have any noticeable impact on their play on game day.  they would have to be smoking multiple times per day every day to be addicted to the point that you would see an impact on them on game day, even if they didn't smoke right before the game.   Just like alcohol, I don't see any issue with smoking pot in moderation.  It's when people go to the far extreme that it will cause problems.  If a player is an alcoholic then yes that could affect his performance.  When I think of an alcoholic though, I don't think of someone who drinks a few times per week.  I think of someone who drinks every day because they feel like they have to drink every day.  

But back to my original point. Rec drugs will effect performance if taken on a regular basis. How much? Depends on the athlete. But like I said, I don't even want my guys smoking cigarettes as their ability to get down the field fast could be the difference between a TD and a drop. I hope we can at least agree on that but maybe not.

see above.  I have no issue with a player smoking pot in his free time so long as he's responsible with it and does it in moderation, and I would say the same thing for alcohol use.  But in my opinion, if pot is banned simply for the effects it could have on performance then alcohol should be banned as well.  

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion but ok.  A player can drink whenever he wants in his free time and neither the team nor NFL will know or do anything about it so long as the player is responsible about it.  Also, yes at one point alcohol was illegal but it's not anymore, just like eventually weed will also be legalized.  It's just a matter of time.  At that point it will be interesting to see if the league removes it from the banned substance list or not.  

Good points. I remember Ladanian Tomlinson during one of his seasons with the Chargers told his teammates that he was not going to drink one beer during the season to increase the team's chances of going to the Super Bowl. He hasked his teammates to also sacrifice something. I thought it was interesting that he picked alcohol as like you said, a drink here or there probably would not have much of an effect but I think when you are a pro and you know what is at stake, smart players don't go there during the season. They leave it alone so they can be at optimum performance. Any drug no matter how infrequently taken will hurt performance. We are just arguing degrees.

Thanks Southwest. I enjoy your posts too and your respectful manner. I have a question for you. Do you think if I started referring to myself in third person like you that people would like me more? I realize some would dislike me no matter what because of my rooting interests but I am willing to try anything to improve image. ;)

I appreciate that thank you. Sure amfootball take the 3rd person reference out for a spin pal. Why not...To tell you the the truth, I admire your loyalty to Tom Brady & your devotion to the Patriots. It takes courage to visit a rival's NFL page, state your honest opinion, stand your ground, & take any heat or backlash that follows. It bothers me when people think that only flattering things can be said on a team's website. I don't want to live in a bubble or echo chamber where all I ever hear is people who say glowing things about my team or all my points of view.

I want to hear from outside voices & teams outside my division. I also want to hear when someone disagrees with me. God knows, I've been wrong a lot. Some of the best discussions SW1 has had on here is when respectful disagreements occur. Some of my best friendships on here are with disagreements I had with ruksak, schwamm, & John Dee & we are all tight friends now. In the interest of full disclosure, I was initially kind of rude to both Schwamm & John Dee in my 1st interaction with them & I will own that & take full responsibility for that. Regarding Ruksak, he did nothing wrong at all. I just internalized a personal experience which struck a nerve & I should have walked away & let cooler heads prevail, but Ruksak was patient & gracious with me & I am forever indebted to him for that. Translation: This old dog has learned my lesson & I try not to incite anything or I just agree to disagree now & walk away if necessary. 

I understand that we all wanna be respected & liked. Just remember to be who you are amfootball & make no apologizes for it either. Your friends admire you & that all is all that matters & I am one of those people okay. I value your insights & I always will regardless of who your favorite is. I have DVR'd the Pats vs Lions game, but I haven't watched it yet. I heard that NE got stomped, but I don't really care. Your squad will still win their division & anything can unfold in the Playoffs buddy. I promise that when I critique this game I will be honest, fair, & kind. I also respect that Robert Kraft has issued no social media panic button either shortly after this loss too. I applaud that actually.