McGrit

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kevin Bowen

Coby Fleener missed today's practice with a concussion and is going through league protocol

From our very own Kevin Bowen's status update here on the forum :thmup:

Good to know TK.  Thank you for the source info, sincerely :thanks:  but that is not the takeaway from this.

The takeaway is that we had some forum members who were questioning Coby Fleener's resolve during the first preseason game. 

When he got hit hard and coughed up the fumble, he sat on the field for a couple of minutes.  This gave them cause to criticize him for being "soft". 

Of course it never entered their reasoning that he could be injured.  But yet they expressed their ill-informed  opinions. 

This post is directed at them.

Good to know TK.  Thank you for the source info, sincerely :thanks:  but that is not the takeaway from this.

The takeaway is that we had some forum members who were questioning Coby Fleener's resolve during the first preseason game. 

When he got hit hard and coughed up the fumble, he sat on the field for a couple of minutes.  This gave them cause to criticize him for being "soft". 

Of course it never entered their reasoning that he could be injured.  But yet they expressed their ill-informed  opinions. 

I completely agree with you, though something tells me there are still going to be some calling him soft for suffering a concussion.

I completely agree with you, though something tells me there are still going to be some calling him soft for suffering a concussion.

I don't doubt it.  But I hope that this post will show that the fan's perspective is lacking in critical information. 

So to all the ones who said the fumble was just his lack of football toughness are wrong? Was he tough after getting a concussion and returning to the game? Maybe some of the so called fans who threw all the negativity his way could open their eyes. But there will be a few who wont, we all know that. 

Not liking this at all!!! Already got Allen out. No Fleener is gonna be out. And the thing with Concessions is once you get one it generally makes just a little bit more prone to get another one. That's a worry. But All we can do is hope for the best.

Not liking this at all!!! Already got Allen out. No Fleener is gonna be out. And the thing with Concessions is once you get one it generally makes just a little bit more prone to get another one. That's a worry. But All we can do is hope for the best.

Dallas Clark got his bell rung for his whole career and kept coming back...and now he is back again.

It all depends on the individual.

So to all the ones who said the fumble was just his lack of football toughness are wrong? Was he tough after getting a concussion and returning to the game? Maybe some of the so called fans who threw all the negativity his way could open their eyes. But there will be a few who wont, we all know that. 

The fumble was a result of a terrible fundamental football move. He did not secure the ball with 2 hands.  A concussion is not why he fumbled. In all likelihood the concussion happened when his head hit the ground after the ball was already fumbled.  And lets be honest here, he must not have been too bad off if the coaches and trainers who are supposed to be monitoring for things like this sent him right back in the game on the very next series in a preseason game. In fact, he should have caught a TD pass on the very next series.

Did you watch the game?  I only ask because you claim Fleener sat on the ground for minutes?  I did not see that.  He jumped right back.  In fact, there was another Colt still on the ground while Fleener was walking toward the sideline. And i only seen maybe 1 member who talked about pouting.  I am more concerned with the poor ball security more then anything else.  The TD catch was not easy,  but should have been made also.  When some people talk about toughness, thats what they are saying. Making tough plays that great players make.  Not letting a linebacker knock a ball out of his hands. Things like that, not whether or not he can play through an injury.  Most NFL players play hurt at one time or another.

Did you watch the game? I only ask because you claim Fleener sat on the ground for minutes? I did not see that. He jumped right back. In fact, there was another Colt still on the ground while Fleener was walking toward the sideline. And i only seen maybe 1 member who talked about pouting. I am more concerned with the poor ball security more then anything else. The TD catch was not easy, but should have been made also. When some people talk about toughness, thats what they are saying. Making tough plays that great players make. Not letting a linebacker knock a ball out of his hands. Things like that, not whether or not he can play through an injury. Most NFL players play hurt at one time or another.

he is still a rookie in terms of games played. Can we let him develop or no?

The fumble was a result of a terrible fundamental football move. He did not secure the ball with 2 hands.  A concussion is not why he fumbled. In all likelihood the concussion happened when his head hit the ground after the ball was already fumbled.  And lets be honest here, he must not have been too bad off if the coaches and trainers who are supposed to be monitoring for things like this sent him right back in the game on the very next series in a preseason game. In fact, he should have caught a TD pass on the very next series.

We've all seen better, more experienced TEs not cover the ball with both hand while making similar moves and better players have dropped easier passes.

I think we need more to talk about, week 1 of the regular season can't come soon enough.

he is still a rookie in terms of games played. Can we let him develop or no?

No, I'm sick and tired of him dropping passes and getting concussions and fumbling in the preseason this year.  He's showing absolutely no signs of being a perennial Hall of Famer right now so far this season! 

:tvsmash:

You know what he's had his one chance, his only chance to show what he has for a few plays and he botched it like a terrible Mexican plastic surgeon!!!!!

haha

Did you watch the game?  I only ask because you claim Fleener sat on the ground for minutes?  I did not see that.  He jumped right back.  In fact, there was another Colt still on the ground while Fleener was walking toward the sideline. And i only seen maybe 1 member who talked about pouting.  I am more concerned with the poor ball security more then anything else.  The TD catch was not easy,  but should have been made also.  When some people talk about toughness, thats what they are saying. Making tough plays that great players make.  Not letting a linebacker knock a ball out of his hands. Things like that, not whether or not he can play through an injury.  Most NFL players play hurt at one time or another.

Wasn't that the first fumble of his brief career? Relax

His hands were a problem all year last year. Fumble, dropped pass, all the same to me.

Well, they are not the same, but having said that....many rookies goes thru a case of the dropsies. I'm not overly concerned about TY hands or Fleener's. if it continues this year I will start to get concerned.

So he hit his head on the turf from what?  As far as the TD pass it was a great defensive play. This is not going to turn into an argument. You have your opinion and I have mine. End of debate. Peace.

From watching the replay of the hit it doesn't seem like any of the opposing Bills player make contact with his head, but after the hit Fleeners head does bounce off the turf.

Be careful SupermanLuck, you wouldn't want to make Fleener human or anything like that.  :woah:

Just hope him getting concussions doesn't becoming a reoccurring theme.. (i.e. Collie)

Unfortunately, in the NFL, concussions are a recurring theme for everyone. People only really count the obvious ones like Collie or Jahvid Best whose severity is obvious to everyone. The reality is I'd be surprised if any LB playing today at the NFL level has less than a dozen.

Unfortunately, in the NFL, concussions are a recurring theme for everyone. People only really count the obvious ones like Collie or Jahvid Best whose severity is obvious to everyone. The reality is I'd be surprised if any LB playing today at the NFL level has less than a dozen.

I wouldn't disagree with you one bit. The only ones that really go noticed are people who suffer multiple or ones that happen to big stars. Many go undiscovered, it's just the nature of the game. Some worse than others

It sure doesn't look to me like the concussion came from the fumble play.  Go to the 45 second mark:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000229015/Pre-Week-1-Bills-vs-Colts-highlights

Right after his head hits the turf he snaps back around to try to find the ball.  He obviously realizes that he can't get to it from where he is, but those kinds of reflexes aren't typical of someone who has just suffered a concussion.

Has anyone with knowledge even definitively said that the concussion happened during the game?