Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Losing ALLEN is BAD but............

Michael Lebron

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree...I'm sure any team sitting in the 60's that wanted Allen was shocked that Grigson took him at 64. I think the offensive draft was a no brainer, as you provide a rookie like Luck with weapons first and foremost. I guess one (not me) could have argued he should have devoted more of the draft to pass protection but the defense argument was a poor one.

I agree with that too. There were so many needs on both sides of the ball as long as Grigson made picks that could be starters it was all good. Had Grigson made more defensive picks this team would not have touched the amount of wins they did get. The no brainer with Luck, the TEs, Hilton and Ballard did make all the difference. I think the picks of Hilton and Ballard was a nice surprise for all of us Colt fans. 

I kind of agree as well, it would be a bad loss (IF) he's out for a long time.  Who knows how bad it is.  That being said, it won't make or break our O by any means.  Heck if Cunningham is a decent blocker and can make the occasional grab that's all he really would need to do.  Even with Fleener I think our offense would only be slightly hindered, you can find a blocker and a guy who will make an occasional grab.  It seems like many people think we are doomed with the loss of one guy, but personally  I don't buy it at all.  It's a team sport and the team will live or die with Andrew Luck, not Allen. 

As far as the blocking is concerned the addition of a couple of fullbacks should help that cause. 

I loved Fleener and Allen as players, so I had no issue with him taking both guys back to back.  Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but did we even have a TE on the roster on draft day?  If not then, taking Allen was an even more obvious pick for Grigson.

brody elderidge or however you say his name lol

Agree...I'm sure any team sitting in the 60's that wanted Allen was shocked that Grigson took him at 64. I think the offensive draft was a no brainer, as you provide a rookie like Luck with weapons first and foremost. I guess one (not me) could have argued he should have devoted more of the draft to pass protection but the defense argument was a poor one.

The funny thing about that is a lot of teams draft qbs but put no weapons around them.

The funny thing about that is a lot of teams draft qbs but put no weapons around them.

Jets would be a good example of that. Maybe one could make an argument that Rex Reed is a coach where you will never have a balance between the offense and defense ?

Have you seen how Cunningham performs yet ? Or just making a quick rash judgment? Lol I cant believe people jumping ship just yet.This will never be a very unbalanced attack again,after all I believe Pagano has a little say as well.From what ive read JC is coming along just fine.I don't agree with the huge hit on running game either.Not taking anything away from Allen hes a great player,one of my favorites,just don't see it making or breaking our offense.We will just have to see how it all works out but you wont really know a lot till regular season starts,they wont expose the whole hand.

I didn't say any of that. Stop putting words in my mouth. All I said is if Allen were to miss a stretch, it makes more sense to go 3 wide when those 3 players are Wayne, Hilton and DHB, rather than stubbornly stick to an ideology of a power run scheme and play the last pick in the draft over other more proven players when that's not necessarily what your strength is anymore. Just because you go 3 wide more often doesn't mean you have to abandon the commitment to running the ball all together.

And Dwayne Allen was HUGE for our run game last year. He graded out as one of the top 2 run blocking tight ends in the league. I'm scared to even think about how much worse we would've looked running the ball without him. He's not the center piece of our offense but I don't think it's a stretch to say he's figured to play a large role in our running scheme this year

The Indy Star's Mike Chappell is "getting the impression" Colts TE Dwayne Allen (foot) "could" be ready for Week 1.

George Bremer of the Anderson Herald-Bulletin agrees. Allen is on crutches and in a boot at Colts camp, and probably won't be available for any exhibition games.

Per Rotoworld.

I didn't say any of that. Stop putting words in my mouth. All I said is if Allen were to miss a stretch, it makes more sense to go 3 wide when those 3 players are Wayne, Hilton and DHB, rather than stubbornly stick to an ideology of a power run scheme and play the last pick in the draft over other more proven players when that's not necessarily what your strength is anymore. Just because you go 3 wide more often doesn't mean you have to abandon the commitment to running the ball all together.

And Dwayne Allen was HUGE for our run game last year. He graded out as one of the top 2 run blocking tight ends in the league. I'm scared to even think about how much worse we would've looked running the ball without him. He's not the center piece of our offense but I don't think it's a stretch to say he's figured to play a large role in our running scheme this year

I hear what your saying,Allen is a stud.Sounds to me that he may be ready by season opener,but if hes not,im liking what im seeing out of the other 2 TEs,allthough they are not DA they seem fully capable.Not trying to bust your chops.The people getting ready to jump ship not being directed at you,its in general to many in here acting like our season would be over with out him.I for one don't feel that way at all even tho we are better with him. :thmup:

Fleener is going to be Fleener, IMO, a mama's boy who plays soft. Worked in the Pac-12, just not with grown men.

Sorry, until he has a whole season of proving me wrong, that is the label I am always going to tag him with. :)

Fleener is going to be Fleener, IMO, a mama's boy who plays soft. Worked in the Pac-12, just not with grown men.

Sorry, until he has a whole season of proving me wrong, that is the label I am always going to tag him with.  :)

really-kyle.gif